|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Hera's husband?
2. Why might some women feel sorry for Hera?
(a) She was constantly wronged by her husband.
(b) She was unable to have children.
(c) She fell in love with a mortal but could not have him.
(d) Her daughter was taken from her.
3. What technique did all of the goddesses attempt to win the contest?
4. What is the title of Book 2, Chapter 7?
(a) "The Vulnerable Goddesses."
(b) "The Maternal Goddesses."
(c) "The Virgin Goddesses."
(d) "The Transformative Goddesses."
5. Demeter is the patron goddess of what group of people?
6. Hera's husband was also her what?
7. Aphrodite is the goddess of what kind(s) of love?
(a) Platonic love.
(b) Romantic love.
(c) Sexual love.
(d) All kinds.
8. Who arrived with a message, regarding Persephone, for Persephone's mother?
9. Hera reacted negatively to which of her husband's habits?
10. What is the first chapter about Aphrodite called?
(a) "The Alchemical Goddess."
(b) "Aphrodite, the Transformative Goddess."
(c) "Aphrodite and Hephaestus."
(d) "Goddess of Love."
11. How many consorts did Demeter's mate have before her?
12. Why did Hera get married?
(a) Hera's husband kidnapped her and forced her into marrying him.
(b) Hera's father forced her to marry her husband.
(c) Hera resisted her husband's amorous advances until he agreed to be her husband.
(d) Hera and her husband had to get married to preserve the purity of the Olympian bloodline.
13. Persephone had an extramarital affair with whom?
14. According to the author, what is part of overcoming depression?
(a) A letting go, or renewal.
(b) Discovering fulfilling activities.
(c) Forming new relationships.
(d) Developing an understanding of oneself.
15. Eris is the Greek goddess of what?
(a) Strife and discord.
(b) Grain and harvest.
(c) Hunting and wisdom.
(d) Love and friendship.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author feels that the goddesses are a great reminder, especially for women in a generation where they were encouraged to do what?
2. Why is it easy, according to the author, to forgive Hera for not being "able to have full control over her own husband"?
3. According to Book 2, Chapter 7, what group of women would be associated with the goddesses in the previous chapter?
4. What group of women might identify with Hera?
5. What was the most powerful and influential bond in Demeter's life?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)