|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Demeter is the patron goddess of what group of people?
2. What is NOT a suggestion, made by author, for ways a Demeter woman can avoid depression?
(a) Nurture other goddess archetypes within herself.
(b) Be able to set boundaries and stick to them.
(c) Recognize and express her true emotions.
(d) Become a mother but avoid marriage.
3. In Book 2, Chapter 11, the author compares people to what?
(d) Base metals.
4. What was Persephone's stipulation for her agreement?
(a) She must be allowed to have relationships outside of marriage.
(b) She must not be required to marry her kidnapper.
(c) She cannot be trapped in the Underworld.
(d) She must not be required to bear children.
5. The "circle of fear" that the author refers to associates vulnerability with what?
(b) Being taken advantage of.
(d) Fear of the unknown.
6. What is the special ability or power of the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Bearing children.
(b) Maintaining relationships.
(c) Being superior to the male gods.
(d) Remaining chaste.
7. What is the second chapter about Aphrodite called?
(a) "Aphrodite and Hephaestus."
(b) "Goddess of Love and Beauty."
(c) "The Transformative Goddess."
(d) "The Alchemical Goddess."
8. The woman used as an example in Book 2, Chapter 11, had what sort of relationships with men?
(a) She had intimacies but never married.
(b) She was happily married for many years.
(c) She was married and divorced several times.
(d) She was a feminist who hated men.
9. According to the author, what group of women would be associated with the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Homosexual women.
(b) Mature, maternal women.
(c) Elderly women.
(d) Adolescent women.
10. How do Demeter women view marriage?
(a) As their ultimate goal in life.
(b) As a way to be spiritually united with their lover.
(c) As a means to becoming a mother.
(d) As an inconvenience and a bore.
11. Who was the father of Demeter's child?
12. Where were most of Demeter's maternal energies directed?
(a) To her many children.
(b) To the fertility of the Earth itself.
(c) To her only daughter.
(d) To her nieces and nephews.
13. What item did Eris throw into the middle of the party?
(a) A rose.
(b) A pomegranate.
(c) An apple.
(d) A bracelet.
14. According to the author, what is part of overcoming depression?
(a) Forming new relationships.
(b) Discovering fulfilling activities.
(c) A letting go, or renewal.
(d) Developing an understanding of oneself.
15. What technique did all of the goddesses attempt to win the contest?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ordered Persephone's return?
2. Where, in a woman's personality, might the goddess archetypes operate?
3. What was the most powerful and influential bond in Demeter's life?
4. What was the benefit, or benefits, of Persephone's agreement?
5. According to Book 2, Chapter 7, having healthy relationships helps to prevent a woman from becoming what?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)