|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hera reacted negatively to which of her husband's habits?
2. Who decreed that the dispute between the goddesses should be settled by a mortal?
3. Who arrived with a message, regarding Persephone, for Persephone's mother?
4. Who fought over the item that Eris tossed into the party?
(a) Hera, Aphrodite, and Athena.
(b) Hera, Athena, and Demeter.
(c) Hera, Artemis, and Athena.
(d) Athena, Persephone, and Hestia.
5. According to the author, what group of women would be associated with the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Mature, maternal women.
(b) Adolescent women.
(c) Homosexual women.
(d) Elderly women.
6. What was Persephone's stipulation for her agreement?
(a) She cannot be trapped in the Underworld.
(b) She must not be required to bear children.
(c) She must not be required to marry her kidnapper.
(d) She must be allowed to have relationships outside of marriage.
7. What sort of term is "heroine"?
8. Who was the father of Demeter's child?
9. How does the heroine appear to others?
(a) As someone who has overcome astonishing odds.
(b) Like an ordinary person.
(c) As a strange but compelling individual.
(d) As an extraordinary person that they have trouble relating to.
10. What item did Eris throw into the middle of the party?
(a) A pomegranate.
(b) An apple.
(c) A rose.
(d) A bracelet.
11. Aphrodite is the goddess of what kind(s) of love?
(a) Romantic love.
(b) All kinds.
(c) Platonic love.
(d) Sexual love.
12. How many generations of incestuous relationships are detailed in Greek mythology?
13. Why did Hera get married?
(a) Hera resisted her husband's amorous advances until he agreed to be her husband.
(b) Hera's husband kidnapped her and forced her into marrying him.
(c) Hera's father forced her to marry her husband.
(d) Hera and her husband had to get married to preserve the purity of the Olympian bloodline.
14. What was the most powerful and influential bond in Demeter's life?
(a) The bond with her mate.
(b) The bond with her friends.
(c) The bond with her sisters.
(d) The maternal bond.
15. For the woman used as an example in Book 2, Chapter 11, what is the correlation between her relationships with men and her career success?
(a) She was well-respected, in part due to her stable relationships and this contributed to her success.
(b) She would have had greater success if her promiscuity had not tarnished her reputation.
(c) She had a great deal of success because people were always curious about her scandalous activities.
(d) There is no indication that her career would have been affected had she been married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What requires vulnerability to exist?
2. What food did Persephone's kidnapper offer to her?
3. The woman used as an example in Book 2, Chapter 11, had what sort of relationships with men?
4. Who was Persephone's mother?
5. According to the author, what is part of overcoming depression?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)