|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author assumes that, for many readers, vulnerability is closely associated with what?
2. What was the benefit, or benefits, of Persephone's agreement?
(a) She was able to diversify the Olympian bloodline.
(b) She could diversify the Olympian bloodline and still spend time with her mother.
(c) She was able to spend time with her mother.
(d) There was no benefit to her agreement.
3. Hera reacted negatively to which of her husband's habits?
4. What is NOT a suggestion, made by author, for ways a Demeter woman can avoid depression?
(a) Become a mother but avoid marriage.
(b) Recognize and express her true emotions.
(c) Nurture other goddess archetypes within herself.
(d) Be able to set boundaries and stick to them.
5. How does the heroine appear to others?
(a) As a strange but compelling individual.
(b) As someone who has overcome astonishing odds.
(c) Like an ordinary person.
(d) As an extraordinary person that they have trouble relating to.
6. What technique did all of the goddesses attempt to win the contest?
7. How do Demeter women view marriage?
(a) As a way to be spiritually united with their lover.
(b) As an inconvenience and a bore.
(c) As a means to becoming a mother.
(d) As their ultimate goal in life.
8. What was Persephone's stipulation for her agreement?
(a) She must not be required to marry her kidnapper.
(b) She must not be required to bear children.
(c) She cannot be trapped in the Underworld.
(d) She must be allowed to have relationships outside of marriage.
9. The woman used as an example in Book 2, Chapter 11, works in what field?
10. Persephone had an extramarital affair with whom?
11. Why does the author differentiate between heroines and non-heroines?
(a) She doesn't want readers to believe that every woman is a heroine.
(b) She wants readers to see that heroines have more desirable qualities.
(c) They have many of the same qualities and are sometimes difficult to differentiate.
(d) She doesn't want non-heroines to get less recognition.
12. According to the author, women often experience anxiety, or a sense of defeat, because of what?
(a) Their physical limitations.
(b) The stress of their family situations.
(c) Being forced to work outside the home when they have children.
(d) The patriarchal structure of society.
13. Why might some women feel sorry for Hera?
(a) Her daughter was taken from her.
(b) She was unable to have children.
(c) She was constantly wronged by her husband.
(d) She fell in love with a mortal but could not have him.
14. What item did Eris throw into the middle of the party?
(a) A pomegranate.
(b) An apple.
(c) A rose.
(d) A bracelet.
15. What is the special ability or power of the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Maintaining relationships.
(b) Being superior to the male gods.
(c) Remaining chaste.
(d) Bearing children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Paris make his selection?
2. Aphrodite's husband was the god of what skill?
3. Which goddess did the mortal man select as the winner?
4. The author feels that the goddesses are a great reminder, especially for women in a generation where they were encouraged to do what?
5. Where, in a woman's personality, might the goddess archetypes operate?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)