|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, women often experience anxiety, or a sense of defeat, because of what?
(a) Their physical limitations.
(b) The patriarchal structure of society.
(c) The stress of their family situations.
(d) Being forced to work outside the home when they have children.
2. Demeter is the patron goddess of what group of people?
3. The author assumes that, for many readers, vulnerability is closely associated with what?
4. Persephone's father was also her what?
5. Where were most of Demeter's maternal energies directed?
(a) To her many children.
(b) To the fertility of the Earth itself.
(c) To her only daughter.
(d) To her nieces and nephews.
6. According to the author, what might some women like about Hera?
(a) Her compassion and forgiveness.
(b) Her ability to fight with her husband instead of passively accepting her circumstances.
(c) Her unyielding commitment to her own desires.
(d) Her tenacious defense of her children.
7. What technique did all of the goddesses attempt to win the contest?
8. What is the goddess Eris's role in women's lives?
(a) Helping women to understand their personal needs.
(b) Creating discord within a woman's self, or between her and others.
(c) Allowing women to be independent and self-sufficient.
(d) Fostering relationships between women and those closest to them.
9. The author feels that the goddesses are a great reminder, especially for women in a generation where they were encouraged to do what?
(a) Be accomplished.
(b) Suppress their emotions.
(c) Enlist in the armed forces.
(d) Have smaller families.
10. What did Persephone's kidnapper do to her?
(a) He broke her leg.
(b) He raped her.
(c) He tied her up.
(d) He killed her.
11. According to Book 2, Chapter 7, what group of women would be associated with the goddesses in the previous chapter?
(a) Homosexual women.
(b) Elderly women.
(c) Mature women.
(d) Adolescent women.
12. Aphrodite's husband was the god of what skill?
13. Which goddess did the mortal man select as the winner?
14. What is often the most important part of the heroine's journey?
(a) Learning about herself.
(b) Surviving grief.
(c) Forming interpersonal relationships.
(d) Being successful in her chosen profession.
15. Hera reacted negatively to which of her husband's habits?
Short Answer Questions
1. The "circle of fear" that the author refers to associates vulnerability with what?
2. How many generations of incestuous relationships are detailed in Greek mythology?
3. Who was Persephone's mother?
4. What is the title of Book 2, Chapter 7?
5. How is the union of Demeter and her mate described?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)