|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whom do the twins confide the truth of their new business?
2. Throughout his life, what does Arty call his mother?
3. How does the Bag Man communicate?
4. What does Arty purchase for the followers of the new religion?
5. What does Iphy name the new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 19 is more like a scrapbook than typical prose. Name two devices employed, and briefly explain the significance of this unique chapter.
2. What body part does Norval Sanderson gift to Arty, and what are the stories surrounding this body part?
3. Describe Mumpo.
4. Explain the process of tithing in Arturism and the significance of calling this process "tithing."
5. How does Oly kill Miss Lick?
6. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
7. How has Miss Lick gotten the video footage of Miranda?
8. How does Oly's relationship with Miss Lick begin to change in a way that Oly wasn't expecting?
9. Why does Oly kill Miss Lick?
10. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Al Binewski has strict rules that the children are to be kept separate from the outside world. There are many reasons for these rules. In an essay, describe two of the reasons why Al may have wanted to keep his children hidden from the townsfolk. Describe two incidents in which the children do come into contact with outsiders, and the outcome of those meetings, and describe the way that isolation has affected one, or more, of the Binewski children.
Essay Topic 2
Arturism is the cult that Arty starts for his followers which seems very similar to the unusual hobby of Miss Lick. In an essay, explain the beliefs of Arturism and the process that followers must adhere in order to be accepted. Why is Alma Witherspoon's reaction to the process vital to Arty's rise in power? How does Arturism compare to what is seen on Miss Lick's home flicks?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy plays a large role in the relationships between the siblings. Choose two siblings and, in an essay, explore the way that jealousy has pervaded their relationship. Discuss the reasons why you think jealousy has become such a large part of these family dynamics, and explain how the Binewski family's system of value has played into the jealousy between siblings.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)