|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arty ask Oly to remain faithful to?
2. Which character begins self-medicating, taking lots of pills, and sleeping for days at a time?
3. How does Oly react to the process of Dr. Phyllis' mutilation?
4. Who catches the twins and brings them back to the circus?
5. Who shoots the Bag Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does Norval Sanderson have on Arturism?
2. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
3. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
4. What is the Transcendental Maggot booth?
5. Explain the business endeavor the twins take on when they turn eighteen.
6. How does Oly kill Miss Lick?
7. Who is Jessica H?
8. Why did Dr. Phyllis deny the twins what they were asking for?
9. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
10. Chapter 19 is more like a scrapbook than typical prose. Name two devices employed, and briefly explain the significance of this unique chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The picture of Oly's relationship with her mother changes drastically in the first two chapters of the novel - the first chapter addresses Oly's relationship with Lil when Oly is a child, and the second chapter addresses Oly's relationship with her mother as an adult. In an essay, compare and contrast these two relationships explaining why you think the relationship has changed. Which picture of the mother-daughter relationship is healthier?
Essay Topic 2
Chick's powers are considered the most valuable and the most dangerous of the Binewski children. In an essay, discuss the way that different family members view Chick, and how they exploit Chick and his abilities. Finally, describe the way that Chick views himself and similarly, how he views his powers.
Essay Topic 3
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)