|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from journal entries, what type of documentation is utilized in the scrapbook collection of chapter 19?
2. What does Arty purchase for the followers of the new religion?
3. Who kills Mumpo?
4. Who does Norval Sanderson leave the circus to visit?
5. What surgery does Arty propose for the twins?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they last speak, what does Oly ask Miranda to do?
2. Who is Jessica H?
3. Explain Jonathan Tomaini's new role in the twins' adult life.
4. Why did Dr. Phyllis deny the twins what they were asking for?
5. Explain the business endeavor the twins take on when they turn eighteen.
6. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
7. Chapter 19 is more like a scrapbook than typical prose. Name two devices employed, and briefly explain the significance of this unique chapter.
8. Why are the twins placed under house arrest?
9. What body part does Norval Sanderson gift to Arty, and what are the stories surrounding this body part?
10. Why does Oly kill Miss Lick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Self-acceptance is a theme that runs throughout the entire novel and may essentially be the moral of this story. In an essay, discuss the ways that Oly has overcome her hurdles to accept her body. Explain the ways that Arty's refusal to accept himself led to some of his decisions, and
explain how you think the Binewski parents have helped/hindered their children in the road toward self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Chick's powers are considered the most valuable and the most dangerous of the Binewski children. In an essay, discuss the way that different family members view Chick, and how they exploit Chick and his abilities. Finally, describe the way that Chick views himself and similarly, how he views his powers.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)