|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How heavy is the new baby?
2. What does Iphy name the new baby?
3. What does she steal from Miss Lick's locker?
4. What is Iphy's last word?
5. Who kills Elly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does Norval Sanderson have on Arturism?
2. What are Dr. Phyllis' reasons for wanting to create a new method of surgeries for the Admitted?
3. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
4. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
5. Why does Oly kill Miss Lick?
6. Explain the business endeavor the twins take on when they turn eighteen.
7. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
8. What is the Bag Man's physicality and method of communication?
9. Explain Jonathan Tomaini's new role in the twins' adult life.
10. Describe Mumpo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy plays a large role in the relationships between the siblings. Choose two siblings and, in an essay, explore the way that jealousy has pervaded their relationship. Discuss the reasons why you think jealousy has become such a large part of these family dynamics, and explain how the Binewski family's system of value has played into the jealousy between siblings.
Essay Topic 2
As the novel progresses, it becomes clearer and clearer that Arty has taken full control of his family. In an essay, explore the progression of Arty's gradual control of the family through the course of the novel. Explain what you think is the psychology behind Arty's need for control. Is he an inherently "bad" person, or is it something deeper that Arty is searching for? Choose one of Arty's siblings and express how his control has affected that sibling's life - either positively or negatively.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the novel, Oly says, "They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true freak cannot be made. A true freak must be born." In an essay, explain the circumstances that led to Oly speaking these words; what contributes to Oly's ideas of a freak being made versus being born? Describe two ways that you believe the Binewski children have been made into "freaks."
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)