|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose lengthy quotes are used to supplement information for the scrapbook collection of chapter 19?
2. Why was the Bag Man released from jail?
3. Who catches the twins and brings them back to the circus?
4. How old is Miranda when Arty first visits her?
5. Who does Chick help become pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Transcendental Maggot booth?
2. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
3. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
4. How does Oly kill Miss Lick?
5. Explain Jonathan Tomaini's new role in the twins' adult life.
6. Explain the business endeavor the twins take on when they turn eighteen.
7. Why does Oly kill Miss Lick?
8. How has Miss Lick gotten the video footage of Miranda?
9. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
10. What does Norval report the followers are doing to survive, and how does Arty address this issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that the lifestyle of the Binewski family is almost addicting. To the outsider, life within a circus may seem daunting or bizarre, but once these outsiders have experienced the community, many of the characters chose not to leave. Choose one character who was not initially a member of the Binewski family and describe the events that led him/her to be a permanent member of the cast or crew. What characteristics within the family dynamics or circus lifestyle may be appealing to an outsider? Why does the desire to belong affect the members of the Admitted and how does Arty exploits this mentality?
Essay Topic 2
Arty has a very strange relationship with women. Even though he treats everyone in his life poorly, his relationships with women seems particularly damaged. In an essay, compare/contrast Arty's relationships with his various sisters and explore his relationship with Lil. How might his relationship with his mother have affected his other relationships? Consider the business relationship that Arty has with Dr. Phyllis versus the business relationships that he has with the men he employs - particularly Zephr McGurk and Vern Bogner.
Essay Topic 3
The sick horse that appears on the twins' 14th birthday acts as the machine for many characters to take on new roles in the novel. In an essay, describe the different characters' reactions to seeing the sick horse and the way that either the appearance or the healing of the horse changed the roles of different characters. What does this horse symbolize in the novel?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)