|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Horst request large amputated limbs?
2. How do the twins react to Arty's suggestion of a surgery?
3. What does Oly pour in the steam room tubes?
4. Who acts as Arty's bodyguard?
5. Who does Arty betroth to the Bag Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. Describe Mumpo.
3. Chapter 19 is more like a scrapbook than typical prose. Name two devices employed, and briefly explain the significance of this unique chapter.
4. Who is the Pin Kid, and what happens to him?
5. What is the Bag Man's physicality and method of communication?
6. What body part does Norval Sanderson gift to Arty, and what are the stories surrounding this body part?
7. Explain the process of tithing in Arturism and the significance of calling this process "tithing."
8. How does Oly kill Miss Lick?
9. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
10. Explain Jonathan Tomaini's new role in the twins' adult life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
Essay Topic 2
The sick horse that appears on the twins' 14th birthday acts as the machine for many characters to take on new roles in the novel. In an essay, describe the different characters' reactions to seeing the sick horse and the way that either the appearance or the healing of the horse changed the roles of different characters. What does this horse symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The Bag Man's arrival to the Binewski Fabulon is a highly significant event. It is as unexpected as it disturbing. In an essay, explain what you know about the course of the Bag Man's life and why he has sought out a job from Arty. Why you believe Arty chose to hire the Bag Man? The Bag Man expresses that he didn't want his children to become freaks. Explain how his actions have helped or hindered his children's psychological maturation.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)