|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oly react to the process of Dr. Phyllis' mutilation?
2. Who do the twins run away with?
3. What additional surgery does Dr. Phyllis perform during the twins' surgery?
4. What is Iphy's last word?
5. Who notices that Elly is recovering from the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
2. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
3. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
4. What does Oly see when she hears Chick, Lil, and the twins screaming in the van?
5. When they last speak, what does Oly ask Miranda to do?
6. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
7. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
8. What does Norval report the followers are doing to survive, and how does Arty address this issue?
9. Explain the business endeavor the twins take on when they turn eighteen.
10. Who is Jessica H?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Self-acceptance is a theme that runs throughout the entire novel and may essentially be the moral of this story. In an essay, discuss the ways that Oly has overcome her hurdles to accept her body. Explain the ways that Arty's refusal to accept himself led to some of his decisions, and
explain how you think the Binewski parents have helped/hindered their children in the road toward self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy plays a large role in the relationships between the siblings. Choose two siblings and, in an essay, explore the way that jealousy has pervaded their relationship. Discuss the reasons why you think jealousy has become such a large part of these family dynamics, and explain how the Binewski family's system of value has played into the jealousy between siblings.
Essay Topic 3
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)