|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arty ask Oly to remain faithful to?
2. Who saves the family's memorabilia?
3. Who kills Arty?
4. What does Oly pour in the steam room tubes?
5. How do the twins keep their pimp quiet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Transcendental Maggot booth?
2. What are Dr. Phyllis' reasons for wanting to create a new method of surgeries for the Admitted?
3. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
4. How has Miss Lick gotten the video footage of Miranda?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. Who is the Pin Kid, and what happens to him?
7. Explain the process of tithing in Arturism and the significance of calling this process "tithing."
8. Chapter 19 is more like a scrapbook than typical prose. Name two devices employed, and briefly explain the significance of this unique chapter.
9. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
10. When they last speak, what does Oly ask Miranda to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the novel, Oly says, "They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true freak cannot be made. A true freak must be born." In an essay, explain the circumstances that led to Oly speaking these words; what contributes to Oly's ideas of a freak being made versus being born? Describe two ways that you believe the Binewski children have been made into "freaks."
Essay Topic 2
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
Essay Topic 3
Pride is another emotion that runs heavily through the characters of the novel. In an essay, explain how have you seen pride and control intermingle throughout the text. Compare/contrast Arty's pride versus Oly's pride as well as the pride that Miss Lick has in her projects versus the pride that she hopes to gift her projects.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)