|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Mumpo?
2. Which character does Norval Sanderson give his missing body part to as a gift?
3. What does Iphy name the new baby?
4. How heavy is the new baby?
5. How does Miss Lick react when Oly comes back to visit her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Dr. Phyllis' reasons for wanting to create a new method of surgeries for the Admitted?
2. Why did Dr. Phyllis deny the twins what they were asking for?
3. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
4. Explain the process of tithing in Arturism and the significance of calling this process "tithing."
5. Describe Mumpo.
6. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
7. How has Miss Lick gotten the video footage of Miranda?
8. Explain Jonathan Tomaini's new role in the twins' adult life.
9. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
10. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride is another emotion that runs heavily through the characters of the novel. In an essay, explain how have you seen pride and control intermingle throughout the text. Compare/contrast Arty's pride versus Oly's pride as well as the pride that Miss Lick has in her projects versus the pride that she hopes to gift her projects.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the novel, Oly says, "They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true freak cannot be made. A true freak must be born." In an essay, explain the circumstances that led to Oly speaking these words; what contributes to Oly's ideas of a freak being made versus being born? Describe two ways that you believe the Binewski children have been made into "freaks."
Essay Topic 3
Arturism is the cult that Arty starts for his followers which seems very similar to the unusual hobby of Miss Lick. In an essay, explain the beliefs of Arturism and the process that followers must adhere in order to be accepted. Why is Alma Witherspoon's reaction to the process vital to Arty's rise in power? How does Arturism compare to what is seen on Miss Lick's home flicks?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)