|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Pin Kid?
2. Who catches the twins and brings them back to the circus?
3. Who spends a large amount of time spying on the twins?
4. Who acts as Arty's bodyguard?
5. How does Miss Lick die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
2. When they last speak, what does Oly ask Miranda to do?
3. What does Norval report the followers are doing to survive, and how does Arty address this issue?
4. What is the Transcendental Maggot booth?
5. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
6. Why does Oly kill Miss Lick?
7. Who is the Pin Kid, and what happens to him?
8. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
9. Explain the process of tithing in Arturism and the significance of calling this process "tithing."
10. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
Essay Topic 2
Arty has a very strange relationship with women. Even though he treats everyone in his life poorly, his relationships with women seems particularly damaged. In an essay, compare/contrast Arty's relationships with his various sisters and explore his relationship with Lil. How might his relationship with his mother have affected his other relationships? Consider the business relationship that Arty has with Dr. Phyllis versus the business relationships that he has with the men he employs - particularly Zephr McGurk and Vern Bogner.
Essay Topic 3
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)