|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What additional surgery does Dr. Phyllis perform during the twins' surgery?
2. How does Oly react to the process of Dr. Phyllis' mutilation?
3. Who notices that Elly is recovering from the surgery?
4. How heavy is the new baby?
5. What does Iphy name the new baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
2. How does Oly kill Miss Lick?
3. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
4. Chapter 19 is more like a scrapbook than typical prose. Name two devices employed, and briefly explain the significance of this unique chapter.
5. Explain Jonathan Tomaini's new role in the twins' adult life.
6. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
7. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
8. What is the Transcendental Maggot booth?
9. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
10. Why are the twins placed under house arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
Essay Topic 2
The Bag Man's arrival to the Binewski Fabulon is a highly significant event. It is as unexpected as it disturbing. In an essay, explain what you know about the course of the Bag Man's life and why he has sought out a job from Arty. Why you believe Arty chose to hire the Bag Man? The Bag Man expresses that he didn't want his children to become freaks. Explain how his actions have helped or hindered his children's psychological maturation.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the novel, Oly says, "They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true freak cannot be made. A true freak must be born." In an essay, explain the circumstances that led to Oly speaking these words; what contributes to Oly's ideas of a freak being made versus being born? Describe two ways that you believe the Binewski children have been made into "freaks."
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)