|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elly's birth defect?
2. What is Chick's birth name?
3. What is the name of the Binewski family's circus?
4. What do the twins experience for the first time on their 14th birthday?
5. Which ailment of age does NOT affect Crystal Lil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
2. Describe Olympia's appearance.
3. What is the Transcendental Maggot booth?
4. What affect does Norval Sanderson have on Arturism?
5. How has Miss Lick gotten the video footage of Miranda?
6. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
7. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
8. Why is Chick almost abandoned by the Binewski family?
9. Describe how we first see Oly's adult life.
10. Who is the Pin Kid, and what happens to him?
Essay Topic 1
Arturism is the cult that Arty starts for his followers which seems very similar to the unusual hobby of Miss Lick. In an essay, explain the beliefs of Arturism and the process that followers must adhere in order to be accepted. Why is Alma Witherspoon's reaction to the process vital to Arty's rise in power? How does Arturism compare to what is seen on Miss Lick's home flicks?
Essay Topic 2
The family lives a life of separation from those who are "norms." While the family outwardly admits that they dislike "norms," Arty seemingly wants to be accepted by them. In an essay, compare/contrast Arty's vocalization of "norms" versus the actions that he partakes in while desperately seeking acceptance from "norms." How does Arty's view of norms compare to Oly's view? How does Arty's view of "norms" affect his relationship with his brother, Chick?
Essay Topic 3
The picture of Oly's relationship with her mother changes drastically in the first two chapters of the novel - the first chapter addresses Oly's relationship with Lil when Oly is a child, and the second chapter addresses Oly's relationship with her mother as an adult. In an essay, compare and contrast these two relationships explaining why you think the relationship has changed. Which picture of the mother-daughter relationship is healthier?
This section contains 2,028 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)