|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Alma Witherspoon described?
2. What is the name of the establishment where Miranda works?
3. How did the Binewski family children interact with the children of the town?
4. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
5. Where does Oly work as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the children hide out in a cherry tree?
2. Why does Al choose to keep the children separate from the rest of the town folk?
3. How does Zephr McGurk change Arty's show?
4. Describe Olympia's appearance.
5. Why is Chick almost abandoned by the Binewski family?
6. Who is Alma Witherspoon?
7. What is on Miss Lick's home videos?
8. What is the profession of the Binewski family?
9. What does Oly keep in the chest in her apartment?
10. What does Lil Binewski do that is unusual during her pregnancies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that the lifestyle of the Binewski family is almost addicting. To the outsider, life within a circus may seem daunting or bizarre, but once these outsiders have experienced the community, many of the characters chose not to leave. Choose one character who was not initially a member of the Binewski family and describe the events that led him/her to be a permanent member of the cast or crew. What characteristics within the family dynamics or circus lifestyle may be appealing to an outsider? Why does the desire to belong affect the members of the Admitted and how does Arty exploits this mentality?
Essay Topic 2
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
Essay Topic 3
Chick's powers are considered the most valuable and the most dangerous of the Binewski children. In an essay, discuss the way that different family members view Chick, and how they exploit Chick and his abilities. Finally, describe the way that Chick views himself and similarly, how he views his powers.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)