|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first Binewski child to earn their own van?
2. What does Arty begin predicting in his act in an attempt to draw larger crowds?
3. Who is Miranda?
4. What is the Geek's job in the circus?
5. Who comes with Al to remove the children from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
2. What is the profession of the Binewski family?
3. What significant event happens on the twins' 14th birthday?
4. Why does Oly feel guilty after her performance at Miranda's work?
5. How does Arty begin drawing larger crowds to his shows?
6. What does Oly keep in the chest in her apartment?
7. Why does Oly visit Miranda in her apartment?
8. Who is Leona, and what happened to her?
9. Who is Alma Witherspoon?
10. What is the significance of Mariposa and her horse's accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arturism is the cult that Arty starts for his followers which seems very similar to the unusual hobby of Miss Lick. In an essay, explain the beliefs of Arturism and the process that followers must adhere in order to be accepted. Why is Alma Witherspoon's reaction to the process vital to Arty's rise in power? How does Arturism compare to what is seen on Miss Lick's home flicks?
Essay Topic 2
Arty's relationship with Chick changes as Arty realizes his power. In an essay, analyze the progression of Arty's view of Chick from his infancy to his death as well as the progression of Chick's view of Arty during the same time period. What elements have affected each brother's views of the other over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The sick horse that appears on the twins' 14th birthday acts as the machine for many characters to take on new roles in the novel. In an essay, describe the different characters' reactions to seeing the sick horse and the way that either the appearance or the healing of the horse changed the roles of different characters. What does this horse symbolize in the novel?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)