|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chick kept when he cannot be watched by his family?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. What is Oly's father training her to do for the circus?
4. Who is Miranda?
5. What problem does Zephr McGurk wish to alleviate for Arty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arturism?
2. What happens to the Binewski family in the parking lot of the shopping center?
3. What is the unusual offer that Miranda been approached about, and how does she react?
4. Why is Chick almost abandoned by the Binewski family?
5. What happens when Al takes Chick into town?
6. Who is Leona, and what happened to her?
7. Why does Al choose to keep the children separate from the rest of the town folk?
8. What is the significance of Mariposa and her horse's accident?
9. Describe how we first see Oly's adult life.
10. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel progresses, it becomes clearer and clearer that Arty has taken full control of his family. In an essay, explore the progression of Arty's gradual control of the family through the course of the novel. Explain what you think is the psychology behind Arty's need for control. Is he an inherently "bad" person, or is it something deeper that Arty is searching for? Choose one of Arty's siblings and express how his control has affected that sibling's life - either positively or negatively.
Essay Topic 2
It seems that the lifestyle of the Binewski family is almost addicting. To the outsider, life within a circus may seem daunting or bizarre, but once these outsiders have experienced the community, many of the characters chose not to leave. Choose one character who was not initially a member of the Binewski family and describe the events that led him/her to be a permanent member of the cast or crew. What characteristics within the family dynamics or circus lifestyle may be appealing to an outsider? Why does the desire to belong affect the members of the Admitted and how does Arty exploits this mentality?
Essay Topic 3
The Bag Man's arrival to the Binewski Fabulon is a highly significant event. It is as unexpected as it disturbing. In an essay, explain what you know about the course of the Bag Man's life and why he has sought out a job from Arty. Why you believe Arty chose to hire the Bag Man? The Bag Man expresses that he didn't want his children to become freaks. Explain how his actions have helped or hindered his children's psychological maturation.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)