|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first Binewski child to earn their own van?
2. Which alcoholic beverage do Oly and Miss Lick drink together?
3. Why does Arty begin to grow jealous of young Chick?
4. How does Arty imply that Leona dies?
5. What does Vern Bogner do when he sees the Binewskis step out of their car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chick almost abandoned by the Binewski family?
2. What significant event happens on the twins' 14th birthday?
3. What are Dr. Phyllis' reasons for wanting to create a new method of surgeries for the Admitted?
4. Describe the invention that Zephr McGurk brings to Arty.
5. How has Miss Lick gotten the video footage of Miranda?
6. Describe Olympia's appearance.
7. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
8. When they last speak, what does Oly ask Miranda to do?
9. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
10. What is Arturism?
Essay Topic 1
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
Essay Topic 2
Chick's powers are considered the most valuable and the most dangerous of the Binewski children. In an essay, discuss the way that different family members view Chick, and how they exploit Chick and his abilities. Finally, describe the way that Chick views himself and similarly, how he views his powers.
Essay Topic 3
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
This section contains 2,014 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)