Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda reveals that she has recently been approached by a woman named Miss Lick with an interesting offer to make money. What does Miranda have to do in this deal?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. How does Chick react to the task that Arty makes him perform?
4. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
5. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
3. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
4. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
8. Describe Arty's appearance.
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
Essay Topic 1
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the novel, Oly says, "They thought to use and shame me but I win out by nature, because a true freak cannot be made. A true freak must be born." In an essay, explain the circumstances that led to Oly speaking these words; what contributes to Oly's ideas of a freak being made versus being born? Describe two ways that you believe the Binewski children have been made into "freaks."
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy plays a large role in the relationships between the siblings. Choose two siblings and, in an essay, explore the way that jealousy has pervaded their relationship. Discuss the reasons why you think jealousy has become such a large part of these family dynamics, and explain how the Binewski family's system of value has played into the jealousy between siblings.
This section contains 2,120 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)