Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda reveals that she has recently been approached by a woman named Miss Lick with an interesting offer to make money. What does Miranda have to do in this deal?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. How does Chick react to the task that Arty makes him perform?
4. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
5. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
3. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
4. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
8. Describe Arty's appearance.
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
The sick horse that appears on the twins' 14th birthday acts as the machine for many characters to take on new roles in the novel. In an essay, describe the different characters' reactions to seeing the sick horse and the way that either the appearance or the healing of the horse changed the roles of different characters. What does this horse symbolize in the novel?
The twins present an interesting relationship as they long to be individuals, but physically share one body. In an essay, discuss how the twins are characterized as individuals in the novel. Then, compare/contrast the ways that their shared body helps/hinders them. Finally, explore the twins' romantic relationships and explain how each suitor affects the each twin's relationship with the other.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)