Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda reveals that she has recently been approached by a woman named Miss Lick with an interesting offer to make money. What does Miranda have to do in this deal?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. How does Chick react to the task that Arty makes him perform?
4. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
5. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
3. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
4. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
8. Describe Arty's appearance.
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
Essay Topic 1
The picture of Oly's relationship with her mother changes drastically in the first two chapters of the novel - the first chapter addresses Oly's relationship with Lil when Oly is a child, and the second chapter addresses Oly's relationship with her mother as an adult. In an essay, compare and contrast these two relationships explaining why you think the relationship has changed. Which picture of the mother-daughter relationship is healthier?
Essay Topic 2
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
Essay Topic 3
Arty's relationship with Chick changes as Arty realizes his power. In an essay, analyze the progression of Arty's view of Chick from his infancy to his death as well as the progression of Chick's view of Arty during the same time period. What elements have affected each brother's views of the other over the course of the novel?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)