Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda reveals that she has recently been approached by a woman named Miss Lick with an interesting offer to make money. What does Miranda have to do in this deal?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. How does Chick react to the task that Arty makes him perform?
4. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
5. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
3. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
4. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
8. Describe Arty's appearance.
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
Essay Topic 1
Arturism is the cult that Arty starts for his followers which seems very similar to the unusual hobby of Miss Lick. In an essay, explain the beliefs of Arturism and the process that followers must adhere in order to be accepted. Why is Alma Witherspoon's reaction to the process vital to Arty's rise in power? How does Arturism compare to what is seen on Miss Lick's home flicks?
Essay Topic 2
The Bag Man's arrival to the Binewski Fabulon is a highly significant event. It is as unexpected as it disturbing. In an essay, explain what you know about the course of the Bag Man's life and why he has sought out a job from Arty. Why you believe Arty chose to hire the Bag Man? The Bag Man expresses that he didn't want his children to become freaks. Explain how his actions have helped or hindered his children's psychological maturation.
Essay Topic 3
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)