|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oly arrives home after visiting Miranda's work, what is she worried about that prevents her from falling asleep?
2. How does Crystal Lil watch television?
3. What does Oly keep in the chest hidden in her apartment?
4. What is Miranda's birth defect?
5. Where does Oly work as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Olympia's appearance.
2. What affect does Norval Sanderson have on Arturism?
3. Describe how we first see Oly's adult life.
4. Why are the twins placed under house arrest?
5. What does Oly see when she hears Chick, Lil, and the twins screaming in the van?
6. Briefly describe what happens when the Bag Man enters the twins' van after becoming engaged to them.
7. How does Arty begin drawing larger crowds to his shows?
8. What is the significance of Mariposa and her horse's accident?
9. Who is the Pin Kid, and what happens to him?
10. How does Arty react to Oly's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bag Man's arrival to the Binewski Fabulon is a highly significant event. It is as unexpected as it disturbing. In an essay, explain what you know about the course of the Bag Man's life and why he has sought out a job from Arty. Why you believe Arty chose to hire the Bag Man? The Bag Man expresses that he didn't want his children to become freaks. Explain how his actions have helped or hindered his children's psychological maturation.
Essay Topic 2
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
Essay Topic 3
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
This section contains 2,077 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)