|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arty repay Zephr McGurk for the work he does on the show?
2. What is the name of the new religion introduced in the middle of the novel?
3. How did Aloysius Binewski and Lillian Hinchcliff meet?
4. Why does Crystal Lil take the children into town?
5. What does Lil give Chick permission to do with his powers after he witnesses Mariposa's accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is on Miss Lick's home videos?
2. Why does Oly visit Miranda in her apartment?
3. Describe Arty's appearance.
4. Describe Olympia's appearance.
5. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
6. What is the significance of Mariposa and her horse's accident?
7. Why is Chick almost abandoned by the Binewski family?
8. What is Arturism?
9. What does Lil Binewski do that is unusual during her pregnancies?
10. How does Zephr McGurk change Arty's show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The family lives a life of separation from those who are "norms." While the family outwardly admits that they dislike "norms," Arty seemingly wants to be accepted by them. In an essay, compare/contrast Arty's vocalization of "norms" versus the actions that he partakes in while desperately seeking acceptance from "norms." How does Arty's view of norms compare to Oly's view? How does Arty's view of "norms" affect his relationship with his brother, Chick?
Essay Topic 2
Pride is another emotion that runs heavily through the characters of the novel. In an essay, explain how have you seen pride and control intermingle throughout the text. Compare/contrast Arty's pride versus Oly's pride as well as the pride that Miss Lick has in her projects versus the pride that she hopes to gift her projects.
Essay Topic 3
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)