Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda reveals that she has recently been approached by a woman named Miss Lick with an interesting offer to make money. What does Miranda have to do in this deal?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. How does Chick react to the task that Arty makes him perform?
4. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
5. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
3. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
4. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
8. Describe Arty's appearance.
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
Arty's relationship with Chick changes as Arty realizes his power. In an essay, analyze the progression of Arty's view of Chick from his infancy to his death as well as the progression of Chick's view of Arty during the same time period. What elements have affected each brother's views of the other over the course of the novel?
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)