|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Oly spends most of her adulthood in hiding, what does she do spontaneously that seems out of character?
2. When Oly sneaks away to listen to a story while she is supposed to be watching Chick, what happens while she is gone?
3. When Chick's power is realized, whose reaction does Oly worry about?
4. What happens when Chick is hungry and Lil does not come to feed him?
5. Which alcoholic beverage do Oly and Miss Lick drink together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the twins' sick horse healed?
2. How does Oly gain access to Miss Lick's life?
3. What does Lil Binewski do that is unusual during her pregnancies?
4. Describe Arty's appearance.
5. What happens when the children hide out in a cherry tree?
6. What happens when Arty asks Chick to make him a roast beef sandwich?
7. Describe Olympia's appearance.
8. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. Describe how we first see Oly's adult life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel progresses, it becomes clearer and clearer that Arty has taken full control of his family. In an essay, explore the progression of Arty's gradual control of the family through the course of the novel. Explain what you think is the psychology behind Arty's need for control. Is he an inherently "bad" person, or is it something deeper that Arty is searching for? Choose one of Arty's siblings and express how his control has affected that sibling's life - either positively or negatively.
Essay Topic 2
The picture of Oly's relationship with her mother changes drastically in the first two chapters of the novel - the first chapter addresses Oly's relationship with Lil when Oly is a child, and the second chapter addresses Oly's relationship with her mother as an adult. In an essay, compare and contrast these two relationships explaining why you think the relationship has changed. Which picture of the mother-daughter relationship is healthier?
Essay Topic 3
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)