Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda reveals that she has recently been approached by a woman named Miss Lick with an interesting offer to make money. What does Miranda have to do in this deal?
2. Why do the children have to go to the hospital?
3. How does Chick react to the task that Arty makes him perform?
4. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
5. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Bag Man affected, mentally and physically, by his wife divorcing him?
2. How does Chick react to the scene in the twins' van?
3. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
4. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
5. What is the result of the Bag Man's spying?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What does Oly see when she goes to massage Elly's muscles?
8. Describe Arty's appearance.
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens during Dr. Phyllis' surgery on the twins?
Essay Topic 1
Arty has a very strange relationship with women. Even though he treats everyone in his life poorly, his relationships with women seems particularly damaged. In an essay, compare/contrast Arty's relationships with his various sisters and explore his relationship with Lil. How might his relationship with his mother have affected his other relationships? Consider the business relationship that Arty has with Dr. Phyllis versus the business relationships that he has with the men he employs - particularly Zephr McGurk and Vern Bogner.
Essay Topic 2
The twins' 14th birthday is also representative of major changes for the twins. In an essay, describe the changes that occur for the twins and what the twins realize about themselves from these changes. How do these changes affect the twins' "place" within the family?
Essay Topic 3
Arty's relationship with Chick changes as Arty realizes his power. In an essay, analyze the progression of Arty's view of Chick from his infancy to his death as well as the progression of Chick's view of Arty during the same time period. What elements have affected each brother's views of the other over the course of the novel?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)