|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Binewski family's circus?
2. What is Oly's birth defect?
3. Even though Oly spends most of her adulthood in hiding, what does she do spontaneously that seems out of character?
4. What job does Zephr McGurk take on in order to stay close to Arty?
5. Who finds the Binewski children hiding in a cherry tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oly gain access to Miss Lick's life?
2. What does Lil Binewski do that is unusual during her pregnancies?
3. Describe Arty's appearance.
4. What is the significance of Mariposa and her horse's accident?
5. What happens when Al takes Chick into town?
6. Describe Olympia's appearance.
7. What happens when the children hide out in a cherry tree?
8. Who is Alma Witherspoon?
9. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
10. What happens when Arty asks Chick to make him a roast beef sandwich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
Essay Topic 2
The point of view within the novel shifts between Oly's perspective and Norval Sanderson's perspective. In an essay, explain what you have learned from Oly Binewski's perspective of the events and what you have learned from Norval Sanderson's perspective of the events. Why do you think it was important for Katherine Dunn to explore the story through different perspectives?
Essay Topic 3
Arty's relationship with Chick changes as Arty realizes his power. In an essay, analyze the progression of Arty's view of Chick from his infancy to his death as well as the progression of Chick's view of Arty during the same time period. What elements have affected each brother's views of the other over the course of the novel?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)