|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Binewski family's circus?
2. What does Alma have removed from her body?
3. Which name does Iphy say in her sleep, infuriating Elly?
4. What does Miranda ask Oly to do for her?
5. What is the name of the new religion introduced in the middle of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oly visit Miranda in her apartment?
2. Who is Alma Witherspoon?
3. What does Oly keep in the chest in her apartment?
4. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
5. Describe Arty's appearance.
6. How is the twins' sick horse healed?
7. What happens when the children hide out in a cherry tree?
8. What significant event happens on the twins' 14th birthday?
9. What is Arturism?
10. What is the unusual offer that Miranda been approached about, and how does she react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride is another emotion that runs heavily through the characters of the novel. In an essay, explain how have you seen pride and control intermingle throughout the text. Compare/contrast Arty's pride versus Oly's pride as well as the pride that Miss Lick has in her projects versus the pride that she hopes to gift her projects.
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy plays a large role in the relationships between the siblings. Choose two siblings and, in an essay, explore the way that jealousy has pervaded their relationship. Discuss the reasons why you think jealousy has become such a large part of these family dynamics, and explain how the Binewski family's system of value has played into the jealousy between siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Arty has a very strange relationship with women. Even though he treats everyone in his life poorly, his relationships with women seems particularly damaged. In an essay, compare/contrast Arty's relationships with his various sisters and explore his relationship with Lil. How might his relationship with his mother have affected his other relationships? Consider the business relationship that Arty has with Dr. Phyllis versus the business relationships that he has with the men he employs - particularly Zephr McGurk and Vern Bogner.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)