|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Crystal Lil watch television?
2. What does Miss Lick desire to do with attractive women?
3. What does Alma have removed from her body?
4. What sick animal does Arty give to the twins for their 14th birthday?
5. Who is Leona, the girl with the alligator tail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
2. Why does Al choose to keep the children separate from the rest of the town folk?
3. What happens to the Binewski family in the parking lot of the shopping center?
4. What is Arturism?
5. What significant event happens on the twins' 14th birthday?
6. What is on Miss Lick's home videos?
7. Describe Arty's appearance.
8. What happens when Arty asks Chick to make him a roast beef sandwich?
9. How does Oly gain access to Miss Lick's life?
10. How does Zephr McGurk change Arty's show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride is another emotion that runs heavily through the characters of the novel. In an essay, explain how have you seen pride and control intermingle throughout the text. Compare/contrast Arty's pride versus Oly's pride as well as the pride that Miss Lick has in her projects versus the pride that she hopes to gift her projects.
Essay Topic 2
The sick horse that appears on the twins' 14th birthday acts as the machine for many characters to take on new roles in the novel. In an essay, describe the different characters' reactions to seeing the sick horse and the way that either the appearance or the healing of the horse changed the roles of different characters. What does this horse symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The final scene of the novel has to do with Oly's sacrifice in the name of love. In an essay, explore the reasons behind Oly's obsession with Miss Lick and why she believed that killing her was the only answer. How is the love in Oly's relationship with Miss Lick similar or different to the love in Oly's relationship with Miranda? Was Oly's sacrifice was "worth it" in the end?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)