|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chick's birth name?
2. How are the children treated by the doctors at the hospital?
(a) The doctors handle them as though they are fragile.
(b) The doctors handle them roughly.
(c) The doctors treat them normally.
(d) The doctors handle them with reverence.
3. What do Al and Lil believe about their children?
(a) That the more freakish they are, the more valuable.
(b) That the more freakish they are, the less valuable.
(c) That they hope they will one day live normal lives.
(d) That the ones born "normal" bring them equal joy.
4. What does Lil give Chick permission to do with his powers after he witnesses Mariposa's accident?
(a) To make himself rich.
(b) To harm people.
(c) To speak to animals.
(d) To help people.
5. How does Chick react to circus life?
(a) He despises being part of a freak show.
(b) He is nervous that he cannot perform to the caliber of his siblings.
(c) He is constantly tired.
(d) He is bouncing off the walls with excitement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though Oly spends most of her adulthood in hiding, what does she do spontaneously that seems out of character?
2. What sport does Oly take up in order to get closer to Miss Lick?
3. Who hires Dr. Phyllis to stay on full time?
4. How does the family measure the value of the children?
5. How did Aloysius Binewski and Lillian Hinchcliff meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Mariposa and her horse's accident?
2. How does the family realize that Chick has special powers?
3. Why does Al choose to keep the children separate from the rest of the town folk?
4. What significant event happens on the twins' 14th birthday?
5. How does Arty begin drawing larger crowds to his shows?
6. What happens when Oly visits Miranda at work?
7. What happens between Arty and Chick when Oly sneaks off to listen to a story, leaving Chick unsupervised?
8. What happens when the children are brought to the hospital?
9. Why is Dr. Phyllis' hiring significant in Arty's climb to power?
10. How does Zephr McGurk change Arty's show?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)