|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chick's power is realized, whose reaction does Oly worry about?
(a) Elly and Iphy's.
(b) Horst the Cat Man's.
(d) Crystal Lil's.
2. What problem does Zephr McGurk wish to alleviate for Arty?
(a) Sexual intimacy.
(b) Emotional excitement.
(c) Muscle spasms.
(d) Sibling rivaly.
3. What is the name of the establishment where Miranda works?
(a) The Slippery Rock.
(b) The Paper Castle.
(c) The Glass House.
(d) The Dark Horse.
4. After Oly's visit to Miranda at work, what idea is reinforced in Oly's mind?
(a) That her "freakishness" makes her superior.
(b) That she deservs even more attention than what naturally comes her way.
(c) That she will never be good enough to be a part of normal society.
(d) That her "freakishness" is something that she should be ashamed of.
5. How does Chick react to circus life?
(a) He is nervous that he cannot perform to the caliber of his siblings.
(b) He is bouncing off the walls with excitement.
(c) He is constantly tired.
(d) He despises being part of a freak show.
6. What does Miranda ask Oly to do for her?
(a) To take care of her cat while she is away.
(b) To give an interview about circus life.
(c) To loan her money for school.
(d) To pose for a medical drawings.
7. What is Chick's hidden power?
(a) Ability to fly.
(c) Telekinetic ability.
(d) X-ray vision.
8. How old is Chick before Lil can carry him around in her arms?
(a) Three years old.
(b) Lil is never able to hold him.
(c) 18 months old.
(d) Four months old.
9. Alma Witherspoon has been pen pals with someone for a long time and is terrified to meet him. Who is her pen pal?
(a) Zephr McGurk.
(b) Horst the Cat Man.
(c) A convict in jail.
(d) Her long-lost father.
10. Who hires Dr. Phyllis to stay on full time?
11. Why does Crystal Lil take the children into town?
(a) To have them checked out by the town physician.
(b) To purchase material for new costumes.
(c) To interview applicants for the circus.
(d) To treat them to a meal at a restaurant.
12. What is Chick's birth defect?
(a) He has telekinetic powers.
(b) He is a Siamese twin.
(c) He has flippers instead of hands and feet.
(d) He is an albino hunchback.
13. Why does Al regularly take Chick into town?
(a) To attend regular classes in school.
(b) To rent books from the local library.
(c) To steal money from townsfolk.
(d) To purchase food for his special diet.
14. How does Arty imply that Leona dies?
(a) She was poisoned.
(b) She was eaten by the giant cats.
(c) He killed her.
(d) She drown.
15. What do Al and Lil believe about their children?
(a) That the more freakish they are, the more valuable.
(b) That the ones born "normal" bring them equal joy.
(c) That the more freakish they are, the less valuable.
(d) That they hope they will one day live normal lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arty begin to grow jealous of young Chick?
2. What did Dr. Phyllis believe was implanted in her abdomen while she was in medical school?
3. What is Arty's birth defect?
4. What does Arty begin predicting in his act in an attempt to draw larger crowds?
5. What is Miranda's job at this establishment?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)