|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will new technologies help people, in Toffler's opinion?
2. What does Toffler call the decision to change lifestyle?
3. Where does the process of preparing for the future begin, according to Toffler?
4. What measure would Toffler like to be able to use on society?
5. What does a person get from how they choose their identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does change affect people's health?
2. What will planners need to have in order to make an education system that prepares people for the future?
3. What did Holmes and Rahe find in their study?
4. How does future shock affect decision-making processes?
5. What does Toffler say the future will bring for individuals?
6. Who does Toffler use as examples of victims of over-stimulation and future shock?
7. What is the role of the lifestyle in super-industrial culture?
8. Why can't the system police itself with regard to new technologies?
9. What physical systems does Toffler associate with illness from change?
10. How can future shock be prevented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose an aspect of future shock, and propose one proactive step an organization, say your school, could take to mitigate its effects on the students, faculty, parents, and staff of the school.
Essay Topic 2
How does future shock apply differently to different populations? Do women have a different experience of future shock than men? Do blacks have a different experience than whites or Hispanics or Asians?
Essay Topic 3
What is "the tradition" Toffler refers to? Pre-industrial Europe? Medieval Europe? Pre-contact North America? Greece and Rome? When were things simpler, and when does Toffler say they changed? What brought about the change?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)