|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Toffler say it now takes for public value systems to change?
2. What is the danger in society's rate of change, in Toffler's opinion?
3. Why does Toffler say that adapting to change will ultimately be impossible?
4. What does Toffler say about conduct, manners and language?
5. What does Toffler call modern people who live in tropical climates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will education have to change to meet the future?
2. What is the role of the lifestyle in super-industrial culture?
3. What does an individual need to do to prepare for the future and avoid future shock?
4. How does Toffler say victims of future shock deal with their situation?
5. How will morals change in a super-industrial culture?
6. What will the consequence be if new technologies are not controlled?
7. What will the place of enclaves be in future society?
8. How does future shock affect decision-making processes?
9. What physical systems does Toffler associate with illness from change?
10. What does a subcult give a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Toffler a pessimist or a realist? Is it possible to call him an optimist, insofar as he diagnoses a problem and prescribes a course of action for treating it?
Essay Topic 2
Write a review of Future Shock. What does Toffler set out to do, and does he accomplish his goal? Where does the book fall short of its stated goals? Where does it seem conflicted in its execution or thinking? Is the book ultimately successful? Define the terms for measuring its success.
Essay Topic 3
What is Toffler's relationship with Marxist thought and the inequality that drives capitalist society? Is he blind to economic culture? How does he account for the differences between social classes?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)