|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toffler say people get from mobility?
2. What kind of lifestyle does Toffler say is characterized by frequent moves?
3. How do many people treat change, as Toffler describes it?
4. What problem does Toffler describe for professionals in a future society?
5. What part of spring break does Toffler say makes it valuable for students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toffler foresee in the technology of fertility treatments?
2. What is the effect of the acceleration of information?
3. How does Toffler say commuting has affected the future society?
4. How does transience affect modern society?
5. How does the rate of change affect professionals?
6. How will super-industrialism affect the family?
7. What did migration mean in Europe and in America?
8. How does technology and specialization affect occupations?
9. How does future shock manifest?
10. What will change mean for the people of the future, in Toffler's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What objections could be made to Toffler's suggestions for methods of remedying or preventing or mitigating the accelerative thrust? What would likely occur if his prescriptions were followed? What would the benefits be? What adverse effects might there be?
Essay Topic 2
How realistic are Toffler's suggestions for mitigating change in culture? How would you characterize his solutions? What do they say about his values? What options does he consider? What options does he not consider? What do they say about his analysis and his priorities? What are the benefits of Toffler's perspective? What are the limitations?
Essay Topic 3
How new is the concept of future shock, and is it unique to our time? Weren't people 2,500 years ago experiencing future shock as the transition to agriculture was made? Weren't people 250 years ago experiencing future shock when the transition to industrialism was made? What makes the 1970s different and unique?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)