|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which groups move most often, in Toffler's account?
2. What is NOT a characteristic of the bureaucracy?
3. What was it that attracted immigrants to America, according to Toffler?
4. What does Toffler say has become less important in commuter culture?
5. How has commuting changed in super-industrial culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does transience affect modern society?
2. How will super-industrialism affect the family?
3. What is a durational expectancy, and how has modern society affected durational expectancies?
4. What is the effect of the acceleration of information?
5. What does Toffler foresee in the technology of fertility treatments?
6. How will super-industrialism change the economics of society?
7. What did migration mean in Europe and in America?
8. How will products and services be different in the new economy?
9. How has home-relocation affected the future society?
10. How does future shock manifest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of Future Shock. What does Toffler set out to do, and does he accomplish his goal? Where does the book fall short of its stated goals? Where does it seem conflicted in its execution or thinking? Is the book ultimately successful? Define the terms for measuring its success.
Essay Topic 2
How new is the concept of future shock, and is it unique to our time? Weren't people 2,500 years ago experiencing future shock as the transition to agriculture was made? Weren't people 250 years ago experiencing future shock when the transition to industrialism was made? What makes the 1970s different and unique?
Essay Topic 3
How does Future Shock fit in Toffler's lifelong works? What other books has he written, and what is Future Shock's relationship with his other books? What are the dominant themes of his writing and career?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)