|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consequence of the faster pace of things, in Toffler's account?
2. What does Toffler say has become less important in commuter culture?
3. What feeling characterizes the person who lives in what Toffler calls the fast lane?
4. What shift will take place in the future Toffler describes?
5. What animals have been used in underwater research?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three characteristics of bureaucracy, in Toffler's account?
2. What is the role of the organization in the future society?
3. How does technology and specialization affect occupations?
4. What is the effect of the economics of transience?
5. How does Toffler say commuting has affected the future society?
6. How will super-industrialism change the economics of society?
7. Describe the importance of the automobile in the super-industrial society.
8. How does the rate of change affect professionals?
9. What will change mean for the people of the future, in Toffler's account?
10. What is the effect of urbanization on relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "the tradition" Toffler refers to? Pre-industrial Europe? Medieval Europe? Pre-contact North America? Greece and Rome? When were things simpler, and when does Toffler say they changed? What brought about the change?
Essay Topic 2
How does Future Shock fit in Toffler's lifelong works? What other books has he written, and what is Future Shock's relationship with his other books? What are the dominant themes of his writing and career?
Essay Topic 3
What is this kind of book supposed to do, if anything? Is it merely supposed to sell copies? What should this book be used for? By whom? What are the limitations to a book like Toffler's?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)