|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Toffler use to describe the future society?
2. Which relationship is not one of the relationships Toffler describes as comprising social experience?
3. What problem does Toffler describe for professionals in a future society?
4. What does Toffler say about the oceans?
5. What makes future shock different than culture shock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toffler describe the pace of modern life and its effect on society?
2. What is the effect of the economics of transience?
3. Describe the importance of the automobile in the super-industrial society.
4. How will super-industrialism change the economics of society?
5. How does the rate of change affect professionals?
6. What is the modular man?
7. What is the effect of the acceleration of information?
8. How does Toffler describe deeper relationships?
9. What will change mean for the people of the future, in Toffler's account?
10. What does Toffler foresee in the technology of fertility treatments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does future shock apply differently to different populations? Do women have a different experience of future shock than men? Do blacks have a different experience than whites or Hispanics or Asians?
Essay Topic 2
How many of Toffler's predictions have been borne out in the forty years since he wrote Future Shock? Where was he accurate? Where was he inaccurate? What other factors could have created the same phenomena he describes?
Essay Topic 3
What efforts have people made to heal or resist future shock in the years since Toffler wrote the book? How has super-industrial culture reacted to attempts to live beyond it? How, in turn, do people live with their culture's attempt to co-opt their healing strategies for profit or broader use?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)