|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raven want Fools Crow to do about the evil Napikwan hunter, and why?
2. What does Fast Horse's alliance with Owl Child foretell?
3. What does White Man's Dog want that he feels will increase his value as a prospective husband?
4. What events make Red Paint question the fairness of fate?
5. What does Rides-at-the-door do while the Napikwan speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe White Man's Dog as he was introduced in the first two chapters of this book.
2. Describe Fast Horse's power dream in Chapter 3.
3. According to ancient legend, how did So-at-sa-ki come to be banished to earth?
4. What is the purpose of the war party?
5. When White Man's Dog marries Red Paint, her father, Yellow Kidney, gives White Man's Dog his many-shots-gun as a wedding present. Why is this particularly significant to White Man's Dog?
6. In Mik-api's dream, what will Raven give to White Man's Dog if he finds and releases the wolverine caught in the Napikwan trap?
7. Who are the seizers and why have they come to talk with the Lone Eaters?
8. What techniques does the author use to introduce the reader to the Pikuni culture?
9. Why does Heavy Shield Woman set a place for her missing husband at the meal she prepares for herself, her daughter and her two sons?
10. Fools Crow does not want to kill a white man as Raven asks, but is finally convinced to comply for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the phrase, "the price of freedom" as it would relate to the story of Fools Crow. Who is free in this story? Who is not free? Who is losing freedom? What are the Pikunis willing to do to preserve their freedom? What are the Napikwans willing to do to preserve their freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony and the tragedy of Yellow Kidney's death. How do you think the story would have been affected if Yellow Kidney had not died in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Fast Horse did not choose to follow the path of the Beaver Medicine. Fools Crow did not become bitter with the Napikwan and want to follow Owl Child. How do you think the story would have been different if Fast Horse was the protagonist who stayed with the Lone Eaters, and Fools Crow were the antagonist who challenged him?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)