|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yellow Kidney report that Fast Horse did when Yellow Kidney was leading Bull Shield's horse away during the raid that ultimately resulted in his capture?
2. What happens when White Man's Dog tries to talk to Fast Horse about the possibility that Cold Maker could be holding Yellow Kidney until Fast Horse fulfills his vow?
3. What lone rider goes to Fools Crow at the beginning of Chapter 16, and what injury does he suffer?
4. How long does it take for the injured man to regain consciousness?
5. Who does Rides-at-the-door think should be banished from the Lone Eaters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war party react to the solar eclipse on the fourth day out?
2. Describe White Man's Dog's recurring dream in Chapter 3.
3. What is the purpose of the war party?
4. Why does Three Bears think the riders who enter the Lone Eater's camp at the beginning of Chapter 7 have probably stolen the horses they have with them?
5. When White Man's Dog tells his parents that he wants to take Red Paint as his wife, his father is concerned. Why is this?
6. How does White Man's Dog manage to kill Bull Shield?
7. White Man's Dog was not with Yellow Kidney in the heart of the Crow camp, so why does he feel responsible for Yellow Kidney's capture and mutilation?
8. Boss Ribs asks Fools Crow what changed his son. What does Fools Crow tell him?
9. Who are Running Fisher and Rides-at-the-door, and what disturbing news do they bring the others in Chapter 9?
10. What troubling dream does Eagle Ribs relate to the raiding party as they wait for Fast Horse and Yellow Kidney to catch up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yellow Kidney's fingers were cut off, which definitely qualifies as both a disfigurement and a handicap. What challenges does a person with a physical handicap face? Address both physical challenges as well as psychological and emotional challenges.
Essay Topic 2
Write a five-paragraph essay on what you think the Lone Eaters should have done about the Napikwan demands and the threat of smallpox.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony and the tragedy of Yellow Kidney's death. How do you think the story would have been affected if Yellow Kidney had not died in this way?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)