|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "You Fast Horse, you have become the heartless insect, for you would betray your own people"?
(a) Yellow Kidney.
(b) Fools Crow.
(c) Boss Ribs.
2. How long does Nitsokan challenge Fast Horse to travel without stopping?
(a) Three days and nights.
(b) Seven days and nights.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) From dawn the first day, through the night and until dusk the second day.
3. Who returns to the Lone Eaters the night of the first death from the white scabs disease?
(a) Fools Crow.
(b) Running Fisher.
(c) Yellow Kidney.
(d) Fast Horse.
4. How does the finding of Yellow Kidney further develop the theme of loss and change?
(a) Although Fast Horse no longer follows the ways of the Pikuni (loss), honor is rekindled as he admits his responsiblity (positive change).
(b) The finding of Yellow Kidney is not a good example of loss and change.
(c) Yellow Kidney's fingers represent loss, while his death represents change.
(d) The discovery that Yellow Kidney is dead (loss) will mean the Lone Eaters will have to adjust to life without him (change).
5. When the leaders of the Pikunis meet to discuss the Napikwan healer's warning and recommendations in Chapter 28, what do they decide to do?
(a) They will turn away all strangers to protect their own.
(b) They will travel north to get away from the infected area.
(c) They cannot come to an agreement, so they are at an impasse.
(d) They will ask the Napikwans for blankets and medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. After rejoining Owl Child and his band, what does Fast Horse tell them he wants?
2. What or who is a "seizer chief?"
3. What is Red Paint worried about in Chapter 22?
4. In the final scene of the book, what are the children doing?
5. How do we know that Fast Horse is finally beginning to show some honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice and hope does Feather Woman give to Fools Crow after he sees the designs on the skin come to life?
2. Describe who the man is that Fast Horse wants to kill.
3. What happens to Yellow Kidney while he is taking shelter in the war lodge, and does he see it coming?
4. What is Fools Crow thinking and feeling as he looks at the scalp of Bull Shied?
5. When the Pikunis chiefs meet for council, what do they decide to do about the white healer's warning and the seizers' demands?
6. How does Fools Crow help Red Paint's youngest brother conquer his fears and nightmares about the rabid wolf who bit him?
7. What is strange and incomplete about the dream Mik-api has for three nights that confuses him?
8. Why is Fools Crow's mother angry with him as she fixes food for her guests?
9. How are Running Fisher and Kills-close-to-the-lake related and what is their current relationship?
10. How does Fast Horse's reaction to finding Yellow Kidney's body show he is beginning to regret the path he has chosen with Owl Child?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)