|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Fools Crow out hunting for food during the season of plague?
(a) Because all the braves take turns hunting.
(b) Because all the healthy men not suffering from the white scab disease must hunt or the people will starve.
(c) Fools Crow is responsible for providing for his own family.
(d) Because they are preparing for a feast day.
2. What are "whiskey runners"?
(a) A cloth that covers the middle of a table on which whiskey and other alchoholic bottles were lined up for display or sale.
(b) Like pony express riders for the mail, these riders transported whiskey across the country quickly.
(c) A type of sled runner made from a curved portion of a whiskey barrel.
(d) Bands of Napikwan who transport illegal whiskey.
3. What cure does the Napikwan healer tell the Lone Eaters about?
(a) He tells them there is an antidote.
(b) He tells them about a vaccine that will prevent white scab disease.
(c) He tells them how to treat the white scab disease with herbs and antibiotics.
(d) He tells them the Napikwan are sending an elixer that will cure the white scab disease.
4. What does Fools Crow see when the ranch comes into view?
(a) Fools Crow sees buildings with corrals, but no animals.
(b) Fools Crow sees Fast Horse and Owl Child.
(c) Fools Crow sees a child sitting in front of the ranch house, crying.
(d) Fools Crow sees a man working in the corral with his horses.
5. Why is Heavy Shield Woman angry with Fools Crow?
(a) She is tired of him asking for a many-shots-gun.
(b) She disagrees with his arrogant and self-serving attitude.
(c) She feels he is risking his life for Fast Horse.
(d) She caught Fools Crow looking at Kills-close-to-the-lake.
6. What or who is a "seizer chief?"
(a) An amulet imbued with the power to control the enemy's mind.
(b) A renegade Indian who abducts Napikwans.
(c) A dream character who "seizes" Pikunis souls.
(d) White men who represent the Napikwan government.
7. At dusk on the third day, where does Fast Horse find himself?
(a) He is lost in the hills.
(b) He arrives at a small Napikwan dwelling in a canyon.
(c) He arrives at the deserted war lodge.
(d) He arrives at a Pikunis camp at the edge of a lake.
8. What does Fast Horse see on the skin after he wakes up?
(a) He sees a small meal set out on the skin and eats it.
(b) The yellow skin is empty, even though he saw her painting on it earlier.
(c) He sees the skin is covered with blood.
(d) The skin is covered with designs he does not understand.
9. What do Fast Horse and Owl Child do to the Napikwan wagons and oxen?
(a) They make a cook fire from the wagons and eat the oxen.
(b) They abandon the wagons and slaughter the oxen.
(c) They steal the wagons and oxen to carry their own supplies.
(d) They burn the wagons and drive away the oxen.
10. Where does Kills-close-to-the-lake go when she slips out of her mother's dinner gathering?
(a) She follows Fools Crow to find Fast Horse.
(b) She goes to Running Fisher's lodge.
(c) She goes to the lake to fish.
(d) She goes to visit Heavy Shield Woman.
11. Who says, "You Fast Horse, you have become the heartless insect, for you would betray your own people"?
(a) Yellow Kidney.
(b) Fools Crow.
(d) Boss Ribs.
12. How long a trip does Nitsokan tell Fools Crow he needs to take?
(a) A three-month journey.
(b) A seven-month journey.
(c) A three-day journey.
(d) A seven-day journey.
13. Which would best describe the losses suffered by the Lone Eater camp from the white scab disease?
(a) After thirteen days, the losses are heavy, friends and family have died, and new cases are breaking out.
(b) The losses were heavy at first, but the arrival of the vaccine on the thirteenth day will prevent any more outbreaks.
(c) The Lone Eaters moved north thirteen days ahead of the plague of the white scab disease.
(d) After thirteen days, the losses are suprisingly light, with only a few deaths.
14. Why would the Lone Eaters trust the information the Napikwan healer brings?
(a) Because he smoked the pipe and swore his tongue was true and not forked.
(b) Because Fools Crow vouched for him as a fellow healer.
(c) They would not trust any information from any Napikwan.
(d) Because the healer was married to a Pikunis woman who died of the white scab disease.
15. How long does Nitsokan challenge Fast Horse to travel without stopping?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) Three days and nights.
(c) Seven days and nights.
(d) From dawn the first day, through the night and until dusk the second day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fast Horse trust his dream helper to do for his horse?
2. Why does Mik-api feel his recurrent dream is incomplete?
3. After rejoining Owl Child and his band, what does Fast Horse tell them he wants?
4. Whose gossip does Heavy Shield Woman look forward to hearing?
5. What news do the visitors bring to the Lone Eaters' camp?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)