|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boss Ribs want Fools Crow to do about Fast Horse at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) He wants Fools Crow to stop being friends with Fast Horse.
(b) He asks Fools Crow to kill Owl Child and bring Fast Horse home.
(c) He asks Fools Crow to find Fast Horse and bring him home.
(d) He wants Fools Crow to banish Fast Horse.
2. What does Raven want Fools Crow to do about the evil Napikwan hunter, and why?
(a) Raven wants Fools Crow to tell Owl Child about the hunter because Owl Child likes to kill white men.
(b) Raven wants Fools Crow to tell the Napikwans with the blue uniforms so they can stop the wasteful killing of animals.
(c) Raven wants Fools Crow to kill the hunter because he is killing all the game wastefully and the Pikunis will starve.
(d) Raven wants Fools Crow to follow the hunter and claim his kills for the Pikunis so the meat will not be wasted.
3. What happens to Fools Crow after he and Red Paint have been away from camp for 18 days?
(a) He weeps over the false story that resulted in his new name, and confesses all to Red Paint.
(b) He meets Raven, a friend of his father's.
(c) He has a long conversation with Raven in a dream vision.
(d) He falls and injures his ankle.
4. How does the war party react to the phenomenon that occurs with the sun on the fourth day?
(a) They do not know what it means and are bewildered.
(b) They see it as a good omen that Bull Shield's camp will be destroyed.
(c) They see it as a bad omen and are afraid.
(d) They perform a sun ceremony to restore the sun.
5. What does Fast Horse like and respect about Owl Child?
(a) That Owl Child has stolen a white horse.
(b) That Owl Child has traveled in far lands.
(c) That Owl Child sells horses.
(d) That Owl Child defies the Napikwans.
6. What losses do the Pikunis suffer as a result of the battle at Bull Shield's camp?
(a) White Man's Dog and Fox Eyes are the only ones wounded.
(b) White Man's Dog and his father are the only survivors.
(c) Six dead, 13 missing and 7 severely wounded.
(d) None dead or missing and only 7 wounded.
7. Who does White Man's Dog want to take for his wife?
(a) Red Paint.
(c) Feather Woman.
(d) Heavy Shield Woman.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 7, three riders enter the Pikunis camp riding on what?
(a) Nipikwan horses.
(b) Picunis horses.
(c) Magical horses.
(d) Crow horses.
9. What does Yellow Kidney give to White Man's Dog as a wedding present?
(a) A ceremonial blanket.
(b) The skin of a white deer.
(c) A knife with an antler handle he made as a youth.
(d) His many-shots-gun.
10. What does Fast Horse's alliance with Owl Child foretell?
(a) Destruction of the Napikwans.
(b) More trouble with the Napikwans.
(c) A fighting alliance with the other Pikunis tribes.
(d) Good fortune for the Lone Eaters.
11. Why can't White Man's Dog tell about Fast Horse's dream and vow as he would like?
(a) He promised Fast Horse he would not tell.
(b) It can turn one's medicine bad if someone tells another man's dream.
(c) First he must be purified in the sweat lodge ceremony.
(d) White Man's Dog is afraid of Fast Horse's anger.
12. What does White Man's Dog sing as he rides into Bull Shield's camp?
(a) White Man's Dog sings his death song.
(b) White Man's Dog sings his battle cry.
(c) White Man's Dog sings his victory song.
(d) White Man's Dog sings his power song.
13. How does the author foreshadow that Fast Horse will bring bad fortune to the Pikunis?
(a) The author introduces the theme of dreams.
(b) The author has Yellow Kidney interpret White Man's Dog's dream.
(c) The author has Yellow Kidney remind the party of the omen of bad fortune from Fast Horse's dream.
(d) The author writes from Eagle Ribs point of view.
14. Why does the brave, White Man's Dog, fear that no woman will find him attractive as a husband?
(a) He has a scar on his face.
(b) He has never had a vision.
(c) He has a poor self-image.
(d) He does not have any wealth to offer.
15. How long does it take for the injured man to regain consciousness?
(a) One week.
(b) He was never unconscious.
(c) One week and three days.
(d) Three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes wrong with Fools Crow's plan to expose the white hunter?
2. In Chapters 5 and 6, which of the following is NOT something the author has revealed to the reader about the Pikunis culture?
3. Which of the following is a true statement about Fast Horse's relationship to the Lone Eaters since his return from the horse raid on the Crow without Yellow Kidney?
4. After hearing Fools Crow's story, who first suggests that it is time to kill all the Napikwans?
5. Who or what is the Napikwans?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)