|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's central theory about the nature (and practice) of violence against women?
2. What has desensitized women and men to violence in the author's view?
3. What will happen if people follow the course of action regarding beliefs about motherhood proposed by the author?
4. What has been the result of this mode of circulation?
5. Which one of the following ideas is not mentioned by the author in her discussion of how feminist-oriented change can actually come about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Essay on Ch. 11: Sexual liberation.
Sexual liberation comes across as problematic in Ch. 11.
1) Why is the (male-defined) idea of sexual liberation problematic for the author?
2) Does it seem like our contemporary society promotes sexual liberation? Give examples of why or why not.
3) In your opinion, does the author's promotion of freedom from conforming to one model, and tolerance towards all sexualities, go far enough in addressing, or redefining the male-defined models of sexual liberation?
Essay Topic 2
Essay on Ch. 4: Sisterhood.
The concept of sisterhood is discussed at length in Ch. 4. In this assignment you will explore the complexity of the term based on your reading.
1) Is sisterhood something that exists automatically between women based on their gender? Why or why not.
2) When and how is sisterhood challenged?
3) Why does the author choose to base sisterhood on solidarity in the face of all forms of oppression, and in your opinion does this definition work?
Essay Topic 3
Essay on Ch. 9: Violence and the media.
Fighting violence against women has been one of the mainstays of the feminist movement since it's inception. One of the forms this has taken more recently, has been to address the problem through looking at media images that display violence against women.
1) The author claims that men and women are desensitized to violence. What are the repercussions of this phenomenon and how does she explain it?
2) In what ways does the media make violence against women seem normal? for example, by makig it sexually appealing, or associating it with love, etc.
3) Discuss several examples from film and other media, such as fashion magazines or video games, in which you have noticed images of violence against women. Analyze your examples.
4) Have you seen signs in the media that violence against women is discouraged? Discuss your examples.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)