|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author suggest about many successful feminists and their relationship with power?
2. How does consumerism relate to the author's discussion of power?
3. What has desensitized women and men to violence in the author's view?
4. What has been the result of this mode of circulation?
5. What group of women are left out but really stand to benefit more from feminist thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Essay on Ch. 8: Women and education.
Provide an overview of the author's discussion of the role of literacy in relationship to feminism. Analyze her recommendation that women of color should seek to further their education and intellectual development in order to participate more in feminist theory and the feminist movement.
1) The author promotes literacy as a solution to the problem of many women-especially women of color- being excluded from the feminist movement. How does promoting literacy address the problem of exclusion? What other things does literacy accomplish (e.g. furthering feminism's goals, dispelling stereotypes, etc.).
2) Does promoting literacy address the problem of feminist writing being too academic and intellectual, and therefore inaccessible? What is the author's recommendation for dealing with this problem? Is this a realistic solution in your view?
3) Are there other solutions that the author does not suggest? For example, are there ways to dispel stereotypes, promote feminist goals, and educate women about feminist issues that do not include promoting higher educating and intellectual development. In your view, how can women who do not wish to become intellectuals participate in the feminist movement?
Essay Topic 2
Essay on Ch. 9: Violence and the media.
Fighting violence against women has been one of the mainstays of the feminist movement since it's inception. One of the forms this has taken more recently, has been to address the problem through looking at media images that display violence against women.
1) The author claims that men and women are desensitized to violence. What are the repercussions of this phenomenon and how does she explain it?
2) In what ways does the media make violence against women seem normal? for example, by makig it sexually appealing, or associating it with love, etc.
3) Discuss several examples from film and other media, such as fashion magazines or video games, in which you have noticed images of violence against women. Analyze your examples.
4) Have you seen signs in the media that violence against women is discouraged? Discuss your examples.
Essay Topic 3
Essay on Ch. 4: Sisterhood.
The concept of sisterhood is discussed at length in Ch. 4. In this assignment you will explore the complexity of the term based on your reading.
1) Is sisterhood something that exists automatically between women based on their gender? Why or why not.
2) When and how is sisterhood challenged?
3) Why does the author choose to base sisterhood on solidarity in the face of all forms of oppression, and in your opinion does this definition work?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)