|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Related to the issue of feminist writing, between which two groups does the author notice tension in the greater feminist movement?
(a) The tension between younger and older women.
(b) The tension between those who are idealistic and those who are practical.
(c) The tension between those who advocate scientific analysis and those advocating political manifestos.
(d) The tension between those who write and discuss theories and ideas and those who engage in direct activism to support the feminist movement.
2. For the author, what activity would be most likely to help spread feminism and its goals to a wider cross section of women?
(a) Buying ad space on television.
(b) Holding town hall events.
(c) Printing more pamphlets.
(d) Promoting literacy.
3. How is the long and painstaking process of change experienced by societies like the United States?
(a) As relatively easy.
(b) As frustrating but entertaining.
(c) As foreign, unappealing, and frustrating.
(d) As boring.
4. How did many lower/middle class and/or non-white women respond to this view of work?
(a) They agreed with it.
(b) Work was not part of their list of concerns at the time.
(c) They wanted more discussion of career possibilities.
(d) It alienated them from feminism.
5. How does the author view housework?
(a) As extremely tiring.
(b) As demeaning.
(c) As creative and life-affirming-sometimes more so than work outside the home.
(d) As women's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the group initially discussed by the author characterize parenthood?
2. How did early feminists, and society at the time, view housework?
3. What observations does the author make about women and the practice of violence?
4. What ideas about parenting does the author initially discuss?
5. Why does society-the U.S. in particular-have this kind of reaction to the process of change?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)