|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author suggesting by revealing Thomas' thoughts and actions?
2. When the reader learns that Thomas has a need to drink himself to sleep, what might the reader might also infer?
3. Why does Dennis tell the Judge-General that he walks so far?
4. Who is he firing at?
5. How does Peter communicate with his accomplice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which room are all of the characters in this part of the story heading for, and where is Thomas?
2. What is ironic about the encounter between Flagg and Thomas?
3. Why does Thomas find it necessary to drink himself to sleep, and why is this potentially dangerous?
4. How does The Eyes of the Dragon end, and why is this significant?
5. How is the suspense maintained in this episode involving Peter's escape?
6. What happens to the five friends at the end of the story? Is this a surprise ending?
7. What leads Dennis to find the note Peter threw?
8. What is one thing the rescuers and Peter have in common, and what does it foreshadow?
9. What happens during the encounter between Peter, Thomas, and Flagg in the king's sitting room?
10. What does Flagg learn about Peter, and how does he learn it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Peter to live and to have the determination to escape? Write a brief essay in which you describe Peter's motivation and discuss what you think it is that keeps him from giving up. What do these things tell you about Peter's character?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author make use of the supernatural in The Eyes of the Dragon? Does it make the story more or less believable?
Essay Topic 3
Peter was greatly influenced by his mother. How does this influence serve him throughout the story? Do you think it makes him weaker or stronger? How would his life have been different if he had been more influenced by his father or if he had ignored his mother's advice?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)