|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a king of Delain?
2. Who is he firing at?
3. Which of the following characters is standing unnoticed in the room?
4. How long does Peter spend in prison?
5. What happens as the rescuers approach the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the suspense maintained in this episode involving Peter's escape?
2. What happens during the encounter between Peter, Thomas, and Flagg in the king's sitting room?
3. What happens to the five friends at the end of the story? Is this a surprise ending?
4. Peter had been very careful about his use of the napkins. Why is this not necessary?
5. What does Peter find as he is trying to hide his rope, and why is it significant?
6. What is ironic about the encounter between Flagg and Thomas?
7. Dennis sends Peter a note and asks for a response. Since Peter has no paper and nothing to write with, how does he respond to Dennis' request?
8. Why is it important to the story that there is no snow on the courtyard below where Peter is imprisoned?
9. How does The Eyes of the Dragon end, and why is this significant?
10. What does Peter reveal in his note to Dennis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Peter to live and to have the determination to escape? Write a brief essay in which you describe Peter's motivation and discuss what you think it is that keeps him from giving up. What do these things tell you about Peter's character?
Essay Topic 2
It took Peter at least five years to fashion the rope he used to escape. What does his patience and determination tell you about Peter? Do you think he could have considered other means of escape? If so, what? Support your answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Thomas does not get the recognition from his father that he desires. Tell how this and other events lead to Thomas' feelings of isolation, shame, and guilt. How does Thomas redeem himself at the end of the story?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)