|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a prominent theme in this story?
2. Which of the following best describes Thomas?
3. Who is the one person who sees Flagg take the king a glass of wine?
4. What is the dying king's last word?
5. What does the Judge-General do with the note when he receives it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter attempt to include his brother in interactions with their father?
2. Describe Thomas as a young boy and tell what makes him feel as he does.
3. Who is ultimately responsible for Sasha's death, and how does it come about?
4. Why is Flagg afraid of Peter?
5. How does Flagg protect himself from the poison he plans to use on the king?
6. Why has Peter requested the napkins with each meal and that the dollhouse be returned to him?
7. Why does Flagg want to kill Sasha?
8. What are Flagg's plans for Delain?
9. Why is Ben attacked on his way home from the market and what does he do about it?
10. Briefly tell what The Eyes of the Dragon is about.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas does not get the recognition from his father that he desires. Tell how this and other events lead to Thomas' feelings of isolation, shame, and guilt. How does Thomas redeem himself at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief essay in which you discuss the ending of The Eyes of the Dragon. Tell whether you think it was an effective ending, a predictable ending, or a believable ending. Could the story have ended differently given all the foreshadowing throughout the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a favorite technique used by King. Describe foreshadowing, tell how it is used in the story, and pick at least three instances in which the reader is given clues to the future. Be specific about what the author indicates will happen and how it affects the forward motion of the story.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)