|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the coronation, which of these characters is excited about the future?
2. Why are many people surprised at Peter's new friendship?
(a) There is a great age difference between Peter and his friend.
(b) He and his friend do not speak the same language.
(c) He and his friend are from different countries.
(d) He and his friend are from different stations in life.
3. How would you describe Roland's wife?
(a) A young woman who will make a good queen.
(b) An old and stubborn woman.
(c) Very unpopular with the people of the kingdom.
(d) A young woman who has no interest in being queen.
4. What one action causes many rumors to begin circulating through the kingdom?
(a) The royal guard puts on battle dress.
(b) No one is allowed to view the king.
(c) Plans for the coronation are rushed to conclusion.
(d) Smoke begins rising from the towers.
5. What reaction does Peter have when the first of the items he requested is delivered?
(a) He politely says "Thank you."
(b) He flies into a rage.
(c) He smiles for the first time in weeks.
(d) He cries.
6. What does the Judge-General do with the note when he receives it?
(a) He decides to read it.
(b) He throws it in the fire.
(c) He tears it up and puts it in the fire.
(d) He puts it in a drawer to read later.
7. What is foreshadowed by the aborted murder attempt?
(a) One character's ability to get away with murder.
(b) One character's intention to gain control of the kingdom.
(c) A much larger plot to kill all of the royalty.
(d) The general dislike of the queen by everyone in the kingdom.
8. After reading Peter's request, the Judge-General agrees. Which of the following best describes his reaction?
(a) He is certain there is nothing unsusal about the request.
(b) He desides the request is just an additional sign of guilt.
(c) He is confused, but considers the request harmless.
(d) He is confused and wants to deliver the items himself.
9. Which of the following is the one person who remains loyal to Peter?
10. How does Thomas react after the coronation?
(a) He agrees to be king, but in name only.
(b) He fights being king, but accepts it anyway.
(c) He is at first uncomfortable, but begins to enjoy it.
(d) He knows from the beginning that he is meant to be king.
11. One of the deliverers leaves Peter a note with the second object they delivered. What is in the note?
(a) A warning that the prisoner's life is in danger.
(b) An expression of loyalty from both deliverers.
(c) An expression of belief in the prisoner's innocence.
(d) An admission of guilt from the real murderer.
12. Which of the following is a prominent theme in this story?
(a) Peace and happiness.
(b) Pride and dishonesty.
(c) Guilt and shame.
(d) Fear and neglect.
13. Which character is most pleased about the king's illness and death?
14. Thomas becomes gravely ill and awakens to learn what about himself?
(a) He has been banished from the kingdom.
(b) He has slept for an entire year.
(c) He is a murderer.
(d) He has become king.
15. Who is the one character that people in the kingdom sympathize with and do not immediately consider guilty?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter meet his best friend?
2. What happens when Peter tells his father about the incident with the horse?
3. Peter sends a note to the Judge-General requesting two things. What are they?
4. How does Peter prove that he is the rightful king?
5. What does Peter's mother encourage him to use at meals?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)