|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wasn't Urglefloggah allowed at the Club 18,000-30,000 holiday?
2. Life might have turned out more piquant, with a little extra cream in it if only there had been _______on the sandwich.
3. Who shows Rincewind and Eric the way out of Hell?
4. What have the demons installed in Astfgl's new office, informing him it is so he can communicate with his underlings?
5. What does Eric call "what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Lavaeolus takes the Tsort citadel.
2. How is Astfgl instrumental in the ending of his own reign?
3. What indications are present in the novel that imply Rincewind and Lavaeolus are related?
4. Why is Astfgl upset after asking Death if he has seen Eric and Rincewind?
5. Describe Elenor.
6. What is Lavaeolus' fate?
7. Describe Urglefloggah.
8. What brings about the destruction of Tsort?
9. How is the Luggage instrumental in Rincewind's capture by Astfgl and escape escape from Hell?
10. What is surprising about what Eric wants to be when he grows up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the strategic use of names in the novel. What do the names mean? Describe how names fit the nature of the subject they name. What significance does their meaning add to what they name? Are any names used for comedic effect? What is deceptive about the characters with ordinary names in "Eric?"
Essay Topic 2
Eric's wishes do not go exactly as he planned. Determine if the overall result of Eric's wishes is positive or negative. What are the immediate results of each wish? What are the long term results of each?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Rincewind's role as the main character.
Part One: Determine if Rincewind's role is that of a hero or an anti-hero. Use of examples of his actions to defend your stance.
Part Two: Is there a character, other than Rincewind, that makes a better hero than he? Explain the character's qualifying traits.
Part Three: Is there a clear antagonist to Rincewind's plight? Is the antagonist always the same character?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)