|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The creator claims to have once done a whole world and left out the _____, which caused people deep psychological problems.
2. What kind of sandwich does the creator give to Rincewind?
3. What do the Tezumen do with their priests at the end of the novel?
4. What is Eric disappointed not to find in Hell?
5. What does Eric call "what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hell under Astfgl's rule.
2. What is Duke Vassanego's plan to overthrow Astfgl?
3. Describe Elenor.
4. Describe Lavaeolus' reunion with Rincewind and Eric.
5. Why is Lavaeolus' parting phrase to Rincewind in Tsort the saddest thing Eric has ever heard?
6. What indications are present in the novel that imply Rincewind and Lavaeolus are related?
7. Describe Duke Vassenego.
8. How does the large treadmill fit in with Astfgl's hell?
9. What is Lavaeolus' fate?
10. What is different about Hell's boredom from the boredom that Rincewind likes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why "Eric" qualifies as a farce. Describe how specific situations, characters, settings, dialogue and narrative fit the genre description. Which of these aspects best fits the genre?
Essay Topic 2
Find evidence of cowardice as a theme in the novel. Which characters are cowards? What are the consequences of cowardice? Are the consequences immediate or eventual? What moral can be found in the consequences of ambition? Does it appear that the author has an opinion on ambition?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Rincewind with his suspected ancestor, Lavaeolus. What indicates they may be related? What similarities do they share? How is their behavior different? What opinions do they share?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)