|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esme think about the physical appearance of her former students at the graduation ceremony?
2. What is the result of Codell's conference with Rowisha, B. B.'s mother?
3. What is the former occupation of Esme's current principal (as of the Epilogue)?
4. What animal does Melanie do her vertebrate report on?
5. In the Afterword, how does the chairman of the State Board of Education act when he visits a school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell must frequently deal with misbehaving students.
1)What is Codell's attitude about bad behavior? Should a teacher consider the student's home situation when disciplining the child?
2)What is a principal's role in addressing and correcting bad behavior?
3)Why does Codell disagree with the corrective behavior administered by the parents of B. B. and Twanette, for two examples?
Essay Topic 2
As evidenced by teaching about the Holocaust and about sexual education, what does Codell see as the limits of presenting material to her class? What is Codell's attitude towards teaching uncomfortable or adult subjects to children?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of EDUCATING ESME. What does Codell wish for readers to take away from her journal? How is any discussion of tone complicated by the fact that, presumably, Codell was writing a private journal and did not expect her entries to be read by anyone else?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)