|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the events in the journal does Codell write her Epilogue?
2. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
3. In the Epilogue, what is Esme Codell's impression of Mr. Turner?
4. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
5. Which student, according to Codell, is "an old lady in disguise"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell frequently demonstrates creativity and ingenuity in dealing with problematic children. Describe how Codell deals with the following students and situations:
1)Billy Williams and his constant bad attitude
2)Melanie and her desire to steal
3)B. B. and his frequent behavior issues
Essay Topic 2
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
A fellow teacher at Codell's school states that the modern teacher must not only be a teacher, but oftentimes a mother, a counselor, and more. State Codell's own attitude in regards to a teacher's enlarging role in a child's life. What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher is more than a teacher? What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher stays strictly to teaching?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)