|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Fairy Tale Festival related to the Storyteller Festival?
2. Of her thirty-one students, how many graduate from middle school at the ceremony Codell witnesses?
3. What does Esme think about the physical appearance of her former students at the graduation ceremony?
4. What gift does Codell receive from her students on the last day of school?
5. What teaching guidelines are given to the school by the Michael Jordan Foundation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
Essay Topic 2
Codell's own ambition plays a key role in the text.
1)How does ambition guide Codell's teaching philosophy, and the choices she makes with her curriculum and teaching methods?
2)What does the Fairy Tale Festival proposal say about Codell's ambition? Is Codell's ambition rewarded or punished?
3)At the end of the Epilogue, Codell agrees with adage that "Those who can't do, teach." How does Codell relate this statement to her own ambition? In the end, how has Codell's ambition affected her career, and the degree of success she's had?
Essay Topic 3
In a few places in the text, Codell speaks of why she's doing what she's doing, and what reward, literally or figurative, she is receiving for her work.
1)Describe two times in the text that Codell has felt "rewarded" in her work.
2)What is the nature of this "reward"? How does this relate to a teacher's purpose in general?
3)What might be considered Codell's ultimate reward, to her mind? In a perfect world, what kind of satisfaction would she be receiving from her work, and what form would it take?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)