|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What teaching guidelines are given to the school by the Michael Jordan Foundation?
2. Who is Codell especially impressed with, in respect to his or her stitching skills?
3. What is the "last straw" that causes Codell to force Mr. Turner to suspend B. B.?
4. What unusual request does Ms. Coil make of Codell?
5. What award does Codell receive during the events in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Miss Clark incident as well as the stabbing of the substitute teacher incident reveal about the right and wrong way to behave as a teacher? How do these incidents validate Codell's own philosophy about how to behave in front of one's students?
Essay Topic 2
A fellow teacher at Codell's school states that the modern teacher must not only be a teacher, but oftentimes a mother, a counselor, and more. State Codell's own attitude in regards to a teacher's enlarging role in a child's life. What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher is more than a teacher? What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher stays strictly to teaching?
Essay Topic 3
In a few places in the text, Codell speaks of why she's doing what she's doing, and what reward, literally or figurative, she is receiving for her work.
1)Describe two times in the text that Codell has felt "rewarded" in her work.
2)What is the nature of this "reward"? How does this relate to a teacher's purpose in general?
3)What might be considered Codell's ultimate reward, to her mind? In a perfect world, what kind of satisfaction would she be receiving from her work, and what form would it take?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)