Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the class do on the yearly standardized tests the district administers?
2. Why is Codell afraid of B. B. returning from suspension?
3. How successful is the film Codell shows for sexual education?
4. According to Codell, what is "education's best-kept secret"?
5. What is the "last straw" that causes Codell to force Mr. Turner to suspend B. B.?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone of EDUCATING ESME. What does Codell wish for readers to take away from her journal? How is any discussion of tone complicated by the fact that, presumably, Codell was writing a private journal and did not expect her entries to be read by anyone else?
Essay Topic 2
Codell's own ambition plays a key role in the text.
1)How does ambition guide Codell's teaching philosophy, and the choices she makes with her curriculum and teaching methods?
2)What does the Fairy Tale Festival proposal say about Codell's ambition? Is Codell's ambition rewarded or punished?
3)At the end of the Epilogue, Codell agrees with adage that "Those who can't do, teach." How does Codell relate this statement to her own ambition? In the end, how has Codell's ambition affected her career, and the degree of success she's had?
Essay Topic 3
Is Codell emotionally involved with her students? Is "love" an appropriate term for Codell's relationship with her students? What might Codell say about the value (or danger) of a teacher's emotional attachment with his or her students? How might this attachment affect the learning process?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)