|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Esme, how do her new students in her new school (as of the Epilogue) behave?
2. Which best describes an aspect of Codell's philosophy of reading out loud to the class?
3. What does prefabricated curriculum lead to, in Codell's opinion?
4. What best describes Codell's approach to disciplining children?
5. Why did Esme receive a low teacher rating in her second year of teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
Essay Topic 2
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
Essay Topic 3
Codell's own ambition plays a key role in the text.
1)How does ambition guide Codell's teaching philosophy, and the choices she makes with her curriculum and teaching methods?
2)What does the Fairy Tale Festival proposal say about Codell's ambition? Is Codell's ambition rewarded or punished?
3)At the end of the Epilogue, Codell agrees with adage that "Those who can't do, teach." How does Codell relate this statement to her own ambition? In the end, how has Codell's ambition affected her career, and the degree of success she's had?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)