|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Codell's approach to disciplining children?
2. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about medieval history.
3. What does Codell allow Kyle to do in order to perform better at math?
4. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
5. How does Codell teach Melanie to control her destructive urges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell's own ambition plays a key role in the text.
1)How does ambition guide Codell's teaching philosophy, and the choices she makes with her curriculum and teaching methods?
2)What does the Fairy Tale Festival proposal say about Codell's ambition? Is Codell's ambition rewarded or punished?
3)At the end of the Epilogue, Codell agrees with adage that "Those who can't do, teach." How does Codell relate this statement to her own ambition? In the end, how has Codell's ambition affected her career, and the degree of success she's had?
Essay Topic 2
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
Essay Topic 3
The class has a moment of unity when they read The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes.
1)Describe the plot of The Hundred Dresses.
2)Why do you think the story caused Ashworth to reveal the fact of his missing finger to the class?
3)What larger comment does this incident make about the power of learning and of reading?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)