|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
2. Which student does Codell want as her little sister?
3. How long did Esme Codell work at the first school she taught at?
4. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about medieval history.
5. What ultimate fear does Codell express about Melanie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, Codell presents Mr. Turner as her opposite.
1)Write a paragraph-long character description of Codell, and then of Mr. Turner. Include anything from physical traits to personality traits.
2)Contrast what you've written about each person. How does Codell differ from Mr. Turner?
3)How does the "Madame Esme" controversy further define the differences between the two?
4)How does the Epilogue's graduation speech further define the differences between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Codell frequently demonstrates creativity and ingenuity in dealing with problematic children. Describe how Codell deals with the following students and situations:
1)Billy Williams and his constant bad attitude
2)Melanie and her desire to steal
3)B. B. and his frequent behavior issues
Essay Topic 3
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)