|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of speeches are delivered at the middle school graduation ceremony, according to Codell?
2. What teaching guidelines are given to the school by the Michael Jordan Foundation?
3. What special guest(s) arrive(s) for the Storyteller Festival?
4. Why does Codell compare teaching to a bottle cap in her poem "How to Teach Learning"?
5. According to Jim Trelease, what kind of portrayal is Educating Esme, with respect to American education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As evidenced by teaching about the Holocaust and about sexual education, what does Codell see as the limits of presenting material to her class? What is Codell's attitude towards teaching uncomfortable or adult subjects to children?
Essay Topic 2
Codell must frequently deal with misbehaving students.
1)What is Codell's attitude about bad behavior? Should a teacher consider the student's home situation when disciplining the child?
2)What is a principal's role in addressing and correcting bad behavior?
3)Why does Codell disagree with the corrective behavior administered by the parents of B. B. and Twanette, for two examples?
Essay Topic 3
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)