|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Codell, what is "education's best-kept secret"?
2. In the Epilogue, what is Esme Codell's impression of Mr. Turner?
3. Why is Ozzie becoming ill at school?
4. What teaching guidelines are given to the school by the Michael Jordan Foundation?
5. Why did Esme receive a low teacher rating in her second year of teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 2
Jim Trelease in his Afterword calls Codell "always child-wise." What does he mean by this statement? Cite specific examples in the text to confirm this assertion.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, Codell presents Mr. Turner as her opposite.
1)Write a paragraph-long character description of Codell, and then of Mr. Turner. Include anything from physical traits to personality traits.
2)Contrast what you've written about each person. How does Codell differ from Mr. Turner?
3)How does the "Madame Esme" controversy further define the differences between the two?
4)How does the Epilogue's graduation speech further define the differences between the two?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)