|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Codell especially impressed with, in respect to his or her stitching skills?
2. What does Codell secretly dream about being, rather than a teacher?
3. In the Epilogue, what is Esme Codell's impression of Mr. Turner?
4. Why does Zykrecia pursue conflict resolution with Kyle?
5. What does Codell come to realize about the teaching education she received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As evidenced by teaching about the Holocaust and about sexual education, what does Codell see as the limits of presenting material to her class? What is Codell's attitude towards teaching uncomfortable or adult subjects to children?
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Codell presents Mr. Turner as her opposite.
1)Write a paragraph-long character description of Codell, and then of Mr. Turner. Include anything from physical traits to personality traits.
2)Contrast what you've written about each person. How does Codell differ from Mr. Turner?
3)How does the "Madame Esme" controversy further define the differences between the two?
4)How does the Epilogue's graduation speech further define the differences between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)