|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does JoEllen ask Codell during sexual education?
2. What award does Codell receive during the events in the book?
3. How does Codell teach the students to multiply double-digit numbers?
4. What does prefabricated curriculum lead to, in Codell's opinion?
5. In the Afterword, how does the chairman of the State Board of Education act when he visits a school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
Essay Topic 2
Codell uses innovative (and sometimes controversial) teaching techniques for her lessons.
1)Choose three instances of Codell using an unconventional teaching technique.
2)Argue why these teaching techniques might be effective in getting the students to learn the material.
3)Take the other side, and argue why these teaching techniques may not be effective.
Essay Topic 3
Jim Trelease in his Afterword calls Codell "always child-wise." What does he mean by this statement? Cite specific examples in the text to confirm this assertion.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)