|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
2. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
4. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
5. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Codell's philosophy about bad behavior, in respect to an incident with B. B.?
2. Describe the day when a student brings a two-year-old brother to school.
3. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
4. As revealed at the end of Part II, what is Codell's ultimate career aspiration?
5. Describe the last day of school.
6. Why does Codell resent the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
7. What is The Happy Box?
8. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
9. What are Codell's impressions about her former students graduating from middle school?
10. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
Essay Topic 2
EDUCATING ESME is written as a series of journal entries. What effect does this format have on the narrative? What are its advantages and possible disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of EDUCATING ESME. What does Codell wish for readers to take away from her journal? How is any discussion of tone complicated by the fact that, presumably, Codell was writing a private journal and did not expect her entries to be read by anyone else?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)