|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
2. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
3. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
4. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
5. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
2. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
3. Describe the first time the "time machine" is used.
4. Why does Codell resent the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
5. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
6. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
7. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
8. What changes does Ms. Coil suggest in a January 18 entry, and what does Codell think of these suggestions?
9. What steps does Codell take to prepare her classroom for the first day of school?
10. What embarrassing exchange over pronunciation happens in Part I's meeting over Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Codell uses innovative (and sometimes controversial) teaching techniques for her lessons.
1)Choose three instances of Codell using an unconventional teaching technique.
2)Argue why these teaching techniques might be effective in getting the students to learn the material.
3)Take the other side, and argue why these teaching techniques may not be effective.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Codell presents Mr. Turner as her opposite.
1)Write a paragraph-long character description of Codell, and then of Mr. Turner. Include anything from physical traits to personality traits.
2)Contrast what you've written about each person. How does Codell differ from Mr. Turner?
3)How does the "Madame Esme" controversy further define the differences between the two?
4)How does the Epilogue's graduation speech further define the differences between the two?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Miss Clark incident as well as the stabbing of the substitute teacher incident reveal about the right and wrong way to behave as a teacher? How do these incidents validate Codell's own philosophy about how to behave in front of one's students?
This section contains 2,005 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)