Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
2. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
3. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
4. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
5. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
2. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
3. Who is Marky?
4. Describe the last day of school.
5. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
6. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
7. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
8. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
9. What embarrassing exchange over pronunciation happens in Part I's meeting over Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
10. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, Codell presents Mr. Turner as her opposite.
1)Write a paragraph-long character description of Codell, and then of Mr. Turner. Include anything from physical traits to personality traits.
2)Contrast what you've written about each person. How does Codell differ from Mr. Turner?
3)How does the "Madame Esme" controversy further define the differences between the two?
4)How does the Epilogue's graduation speech further define the differences between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Codell uses innovative (and sometimes controversial) teaching techniques for her lessons.
1)Choose three instances of Codell using an unconventional teaching technique.
2)Argue why these teaching techniques might be effective in getting the students to learn the material.
3)Take the other side, and argue why these teaching techniques may not be effective.
Essay Topic 3
What are the numerous challenges of the poor, urban educational environment? How does Codell's attitude on this topic differ from Mr. Turner's?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)