|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
2. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
3. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
4. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
5. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Ms. Coil suggest in a January 18 entry, and what does Codell think of these suggestions?
2. Briefly describe the day when Billy Williams becomes teacher for a day.
3. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
4. Describe the day when a student brings a two-year-old brother to school.
5. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
6. Describe the theft of the Columbus comic book and its resolution.
7. As revealed at the end of Part II, what is Codell's ultimate career aspiration?
8. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
9. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
10. What toll has the school year taken on Codell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell's insistence on being called "Madame Esme" is a constant sore spot for her principal Mr. Turner. What reasons does Codell provide for being stubborn on this point? How does this matter relate in a broader sense to Codell's personality and attitude as revealed in her writing?
Essay Topic 2
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)