|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
2. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
3. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
4. Why does Codell initially regret asking Twanette's mother to a conference on September 30?
5. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
2. What does Codell think of the numerous speeches at the graduation?
3. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
4. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
5. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
6. What February 15 incident nearly results in Codell quitting the school?
7. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
8. What dictates what songs Codell hears in her mind throughout the day according to the April 11 entry?
9. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
10. Describe the last day of school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Miss Clark incident as well as the stabbing of the substitute teacher incident reveal about the right and wrong way to behave as a teacher? How do these incidents validate Codell's own philosophy about how to behave in front of one's students?
Essay Topic 2
Codell must frequently deal with misbehaving students.
1)What is Codell's attitude about bad behavior? Should a teacher consider the student's home situation when disciplining the child?
2)What is a principal's role in addressing and correcting bad behavior?
3)Why does Codell disagree with the corrective behavior administered by the parents of B. B. and Twanette, for two examples?
Essay Topic 3
The class has a moment of unity when they read The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes.
1)Describe the plot of The Hundred Dresses.
2)Why do you think the story caused Ashworth to reveal the fact of his missing finger to the class?
3)What larger comment does this incident make about the power of learning and of reading?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)