Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
2. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
3. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
4. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
5. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
2. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
3. Who is Marky?
4. Describe the last day of school.
5. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
6. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
7. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
8. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
9. What embarrassing exchange over pronunciation happens in Part I's meeting over Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
10. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Codell uses innovative (and sometimes controversial) teaching techniques for her lessons.
1)Choose three instances of Codell using an unconventional teaching technique.
2)Argue why these teaching techniques might be effective in getting the students to learn the material.
3)Take the other side, and argue why these teaching techniques may not be effective.
Codell's own ambition plays a key role in the text.
1)How does ambition guide Codell's teaching philosophy, and the choices she makes with her curriculum and teaching methods?
2)What does the Fairy Tale Festival proposal say about Codell's ambition? Is Codell's ambition rewarded or punished?
3)At the end of the Epilogue, Codell agrees with adage that "Those who can't do, teach." How does Codell relate this statement to her own ambition? In the end, how has Codell's ambition affected her career, and the degree of success she's had?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)