Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
2. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
3. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
4. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
5. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
2. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
3. Who is Marky?
4. Describe the last day of school.
5. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
6. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
7. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
8. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
9. What embarrassing exchange over pronunciation happens in Part I's meeting over Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
10. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
Essay Topic 1
Codell's insistence on being called "Madame Esme" is a constant sore spot for her principal Mr. Turner. What reasons does Codell provide for being stubborn on this point? How does this matter relate in a broader sense to Codell's personality and attitude as revealed in her writing?
Essay Topic 2
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Miss Clark incident as well as the stabbing of the substitute teacher incident reveal about the right and wrong way to behave as a teacher? How do these incidents validate Codell's own philosophy about how to behave in front of one's students?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)