|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
2. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
3. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
4. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
5. What does Codell call the subject of Science?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
2. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
3. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
4. Why does Codell react negatively to the "Jordan Rules" teaching guidelines?
5. What embarrassing exchange over pronunciation happens in Part I's meeting over Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
6. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
7. How is the learning environment different at Codell's new school, versus the students described in the journal?
8. What is Vanessa's problem with the Christmas assembly, and how does she overcome it?
9. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
10. Why does Jim Trelease in the Afterword bring up a governor and a chairman of the State Board of Education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Miss Clark incident as well as the stabbing of the substitute teacher incident reveal about the right and wrong way to behave as a teacher? How do these incidents validate Codell's own philosophy about how to behave in front of one's students?
Essay Topic 2
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Codell uses innovative (and sometimes controversial) teaching techniques for her lessons.
1)Choose three instances of Codell using an unconventional teaching technique.
2)Argue why these teaching techniques might be effective in getting the students to learn the material.
3)Take the other side, and argue why these teaching techniques may not be effective.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)