|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Codell's general attitude toward Ms. Federman?
2. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
3. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
4. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
5. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Clark's attempt to teach Codell's kids on January 11.
2. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
3. How does Codell deal with Melanie's problem with stealing?
4. Why is Codell relieved when she refrains from yelling at Latoya for continually coming in late one week?
5. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
6. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
7. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
9. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
10. What is The Happy Box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell's own ambition plays a key role in the text.
1)How does ambition guide Codell's teaching philosophy, and the choices she makes with her curriculum and teaching methods?
2)What does the Fairy Tale Festival proposal say about Codell's ambition? Is Codell's ambition rewarded or punished?
3)At the end of the Epilogue, Codell agrees with adage that "Those who can't do, teach." How does Codell relate this statement to her own ambition? In the end, how has Codell's ambition affected her career, and the degree of success she's had?
Essay Topic 2
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
Codell must frequently deal with misbehaving students.
1)What is Codell's attitude about bad behavior? Should a teacher consider the student's home situation when disciplining the child?
2)What is a principal's role in addressing and correcting bad behavior?
3)Why does Codell disagree with the corrective behavior administered by the parents of B. B. and Twanette, for two examples?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)