|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
2. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
3. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
4. Why does Codell take her students outside for a field trip on January 7th?
5. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Storyteller Festival.
2. How does Codell deal with Melanie's problem with stealing?
3. Why does Codell react negatively to the "Jordan Rules" teaching guidelines?
4. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
5. How does Codell build up suspense in her class for the introduction of the "time machine"?
6. As revealed at the end of Part II, what is Codell's ultimate career aspiration?
7. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
8. Who is Marky?
9. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
10. How is the "time machine" built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The class has a moment of unity when they read The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes.
1)Describe the plot of The Hundred Dresses.
2)Why do you think the story caused Ashworth to reveal the fact of his missing finger to the class?
3)What larger comment does this incident make about the power of learning and of reading?
Essay Topic 2
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
Essay Topic 3
As evidenced by teaching about the Holocaust and about sexual education, what does Codell see as the limits of presenting material to her class? What is Codell's attitude towards teaching uncomfortable or adult subjects to children?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)