|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
2. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
3. What does Codell call the subject of Science?
4. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
5. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marky?
2. Why does Codell resent the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
3. What changes does Ms. Coil suggest in a January 18 entry, and what does Codell think of these suggestions?
4. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
5. What toll has the school year taken on Codell?
6. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
7. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
8. Describe the day when a student brings a two-year-old brother to school.
9. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
10. Briefly describe the day when Billy Williams becomes teacher for a day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell frequently demonstrates creativity and ingenuity in dealing with problematic children. Describe how Codell deals with the following students and situations:
1)Billy Williams and his constant bad attitude
2)Melanie and her desire to steal
3)B. B. and his frequent behavior issues
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Codell presents Mr. Turner as her opposite.
1)Write a paragraph-long character description of Codell, and then of Mr. Turner. Include anything from physical traits to personality traits.
2)Contrast what you've written about each person. How does Codell differ from Mr. Turner?
3)How does the "Madame Esme" controversy further define the differences between the two?
4)How does the Epilogue's graduation speech further define the differences between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Jim Trelease in his Afterword calls Codell "always child-wise." What does he mean by this statement? Cite specific examples in the text to confirm this assertion.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)