|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Turner object to Codell's school social committee guidelines on February 15th?
2. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
3. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
4. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
5. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Codell build up suspense in her class for the introduction of the "time machine"?
2. Describe Miss Clark's attempt to teach Codell's kids on January 11.
3. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
4. What is The Happy Box?
5. At the beginning of Part I, what does fifth-grader Melanie warn incoming students about the fifth grade?
6. According to the Epilogue, what became of Codell after the events in the journal?
7. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
8. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
9. What is Codell's philosophy about bad behavior, in respect to an incident with B. B.?
10. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
Essay Topic 2
Describe Codell's unique approach to classroom reading. How does she divide the students, and what roles do they have? What might be the advantages to such a system? What are possible disadvantages?
Essay Topic 3
A fellow teacher at Codell's school states that the modern teacher must not only be a teacher, but oftentimes a mother, a counselor, and more. State Codell's own attitude in regards to a teacher's enlarging role in a child's life. What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher is more than a teacher? What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher stays strictly to teaching?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)