|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Codell take Ms. Coil's suggestion that she should place student papers on her wall higher up?
2. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
3. Why does Codell take her students outside for a field trip on January 7th?
4. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
5. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Storyteller Festival.
2. What is Codell's opinion of the teaching education she received?
3. Describe the last day of school.
4. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
5. What question does Codell have for the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
6. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
7. Why does Codell take B. B. and his little sister in to her home for a night?
8. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
9. Describe Shira's transformation on December 13.
10. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Codell's insistence on being called "Madame Esme" is a constant sore spot for her principal Mr. Turner. What reasons does Codell provide for being stubborn on this point? How does this matter relate in a broader sense to Codell's personality and attitude as revealed in her writing?
Essay Topic 2
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
Essay Topic 3
Describe Codell's unique approach to classroom reading. How does she divide the students, and what roles do they have? What might be the advantages to such a system? What are possible disadvantages?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)