|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
2. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
3. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
4. Why does Mr. Turner object to Codell's school social committee guidelines on February 15th?
5. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the struggle between Codell and Mr. Turner in Part I in regards to Codell's proper form of address?
2. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
3. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
4. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
5. How is the "time machine" built?
6. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
7. What is Vanessa's problem with the Christmas assembly, and how does she overcome it?
8. What question does Codell have for the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
9. How does Ms. Federman convince Codell to remain a teacher at the school on February 15?
10. Describe the theft of the Columbus comic book and its resolution.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The class has a moment of unity when they read The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes.
1)Describe the plot of The Hundred Dresses.
2)Why do you think the story caused Ashworth to reveal the fact of his missing finger to the class?
3)What larger comment does this incident make about the power of learning and of reading?
Essay Topic 2
Codell offers several criticisms of the educational bureaucracy. Describe these criticisms in the context of the following:
1)The Michael Jordan Foundation
2)The Educational "Chiropractor"
3)The approval process for the Fairy Tale Festival
Essay Topic 3
EDUCATING ESME is written as a series of journal entries. What effect does this format have on the narrative? What are its advantages and possible disadvantages?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)