|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
2. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
3. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
4. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
5. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
2. What toll has the school year taken on Codell?
3. What is Vanessa's problem with the Christmas assembly, and how does she overcome it?
4. Describe the Storyteller Festival.
5. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
6. Why does Codell take B. B. and his little sister in to her home for a night?
7. How does Codell deal with Melanie's problem with stealing?
8. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
9. As related in Part I's first entry, what happens in Codell's first interviews for the position at the new public school?
10. Describe the first time the "time machine" is used.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Codell's unique approach to classroom reading. How does she divide the students, and what roles do they have? What might be the advantages to such a system? What are possible disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Codell must frequently deal with misbehaving students.
1)What is Codell's attitude about bad behavior? Should a teacher consider the student's home situation when disciplining the child?
2)What is a principal's role in addressing and correcting bad behavior?
3)Why does Codell disagree with the corrective behavior administered by the parents of B. B. and Twanette, for two examples?
Essay Topic 3
Codell frequently demonstrates creativity and ingenuity in dealing with problematic children. Describe how Codell deals with the following students and situations:
1)Billy Williams and his constant bad attitude
2)Melanie and her desire to steal
3)B. B. and his frequent behavior issues
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)