|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
2. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
3. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
4. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
5. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the learning environment different at Codell's new school, versus the students described in the journal?
2. How does Ms. Federman convince Codell to remain a teacher at the school on February 15?
3. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
4. Describe the last day of school.
5. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
6. Why does Jim Trelease in the Afterword bring up a governor and a chairman of the State Board of Education?
7. Describe Shira's transformation on December 13.
8. Describe Ismene, including her appearance and personality.
9. Describe the first time the "time machine" is used.
10. What steps does Codell take to prepare her classroom for the first day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1A fellow teacher at Codell's school states that the modern teacher must not only be a teacher, but oftentimes a mother, a counselor, and more. State Codell's own attitude in regards to a teacher's enlarging role in a child's life. What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher is more than a teacher? What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher stays strictly to teaching?
Essay Topic 2Describe the tone of EDUCATING ESME. What does Codell wish for readers to take away from her journal? How is any discussion of tone complicated by the fact that, presumably, Codell was writing a private journal and did not expect her entries to be read by anyone else?
Essay Topic 3Codell frequently demonstrates creativity and ingenuity in dealing with problematic children. Describe how Codell deals with the following students and situations: 1)Billy Williams and his constant bad attitude 2)Melanie and her desire to steal 3)B. B. and his frequent behavior issues
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)