|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
2. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
3. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
4. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
5. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
2. What steps does Codell take to prepare her classroom for the first day of school?
3. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
4. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
5. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
6. Describe the first time the "time machine" is used.
7. What is the nature of the struggle between Codell and Mr. Turner in Part I in regards to Codell's proper form of address?
8. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
9. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
10. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone of EDUCATING ESME. What does Codell wish for readers to take away from her journal? How is any discussion of tone complicated by the fact that, presumably, Codell was writing a private journal and did not expect her entries to be read by anyone else?
Essay Topic 2
A fellow teacher at Codell's school states that the modern teacher must not only be a teacher, but oftentimes a mother, a counselor, and more. State Codell's own attitude in regards to a teacher's enlarging role in a child's life. What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher is more than a teacher? What might be the advantages to a child when a teacher stays strictly to teaching?
Essay Topic 3
At a meeting early in the year, a teacher named Lillia mispronounces "conspicuous" and is corrected by Ms. Coil to the embarrassment and anger of Codell.
1)What does this incident reveal about Ms. Coil's character? About Codell's character?
2)What might this incident reveal about a larger problem with the educational bureaucracy?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)