|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What teaching guidelines are given to the school by the Michael Jordan Foundation?
(a) The 3-Pointers of Success.
(b) The Championship Way.
(c) The Slam Dunk Doctrines.
(d) The Jordan Rules.
2. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "language lover" play?
(a) Making questions up about the book.
(b) Defining difficult words in the text.
(c) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(d) Reading passages out loud.
3. What kind of film does Codell show for sexual education?
(a) A cartoon of two goldfish mixing egg and sperm.
(b) A Discovery channel series about sexual reproduction in the animal kingdom.
(c) A film clip from the Michael Douglas film Basic Instinct.
(d) Basketball star Magic Johnson talking about how he acquired HIV.
4. Which best describes an aspect of Codell's philosophy of reading out loud to the class?
(a) The teacher should often stop to have discussions about the text.
(b) The teacher should read words very slowly and loudly.
(c) Each child should have a book, so they can follow along with the reading.
(d) Any difficult words should be immediately looked up in the dictionary.
5. What award does Codell receive during the events in the book?
(a) The Connie Porter award for reading excellence.
(b) The Caldecott Silver Teaching award.
(c) The Dr. Peggy Williams award for outstanding Language Arts teacher.
(d) The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. award for outstanding new urban school teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of her thirty-one students, how many graduate from middle school at the ceremony Codell witnesses?
2. Why does Codell compare teaching to a bottle cap in her poem "How to Teach Learning"?
3. What animal does Melanie do her vertebrate report on?
4. What unusual request does Ms. Coil make of Codell?
5. According to Jim Trelease, what kind of portrayal is Educating Esme, with respect to American education?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)