|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about Asia?
(a) Dress as samurai.
(b) Make a kimono.
(c) Stage a kabuki theater play.
(d) Make sushi.
2. What is the purpose of the class making a patchwork quilt?
(a) To teach about long division.
(b) To teach about inventors.
(c) To teach about the Underground Railroad.
(d) To teach about the flowers of the fifty states.
3. What song does Codell hear in her mind when she has recess duty?
(a) "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" by B. J. Thomas.
(b) "Sing a Simple Song" by Sly and the Family Stone.
(c) "Cinderella's Departure for the Ball" by Prokofiev.
(d) "Stoney End" by Laura Nyro.
4. What ultimate fear does Codell express about Melanie?
(a) Melanie will likely have to repeat the fifth grade.
(b) Melanie may be expelled from the district after a hearing.
(c) Melanie will fail as a storyteller, and ruin the Storyteller Festival.
(d) Melanie may grow up to become a felon.
5. What kind of people too often dominate public education, according to Trelease?
(a) People like Esme Codell.
(b) Haughty, prideful, disconnected people.
(c) People like Ms. Federman.
(d) Ill-tempered people who are too quick to anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ozzie's grades plummet?
2. Which student does Codell believe has the potential to become a children's book illustrator?
3. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "practical predictor" play?
4. When do parents "throw a tantrum" at Esme's new school (as of the Epilogue)?
5. What kind of speeches are delivered at the middle school graduation ceremony, according to Codell?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)