|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "language lover" play?
(a) Making questions up about the book.
(b) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(c) Reading passages out loud.
(d) Defining difficult words in the text.
2. Which best describes an aspect of Codell's philosophy of reading out loud to the class?
(a) Any difficult words should be immediately looked up in the dictionary.
(b) The teacher should often stop to have discussions about the text.
(c) Each child should have a book, so they can follow along with the reading.
(d) The teacher should read words very slowly and loudly.
3. How long did Esme Codell work at the first school she taught at?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) As of the Epilogue, she continues to teach there to this day.
4. Why doesn't Mr. Turner initially want to suspend B. B.?
(a) Mr. Turner happens to be friends with B. B.'s father.
(b) Mr. Turner wishes to expel B. B. and only reluctantly agrees to the lesser punishment.
(c) B. B. has otherwise been an exemplary student, and his misbehavior is isolated.
(d) He believes that at-risk blacks should be given a break, given their circumstances.
5. How does Codell prepare her students for the Storytelling Festival?
(a) She has them practice telling their stories in younger-aged classes.
(b) She makes them memorize their stories forwards as well as backwards.
(c) She gives them voice lessons.
(d) She has them dress as the main character of their story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What misbehavior does Melanie have a propensity to commit?
2. Why does Zykrecia pursue conflict resolution with Kyle?
3. Why is Codell impressed with her students when they have a field trip to the Historical Society?
4. Why do Ozzie's grades plummet?
5. What does Esme think about the physical appearance of her former students at the graduation ceremony?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)