|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the plot of the story "The Pudding Like the Night on the Sea"?
(a) A father threatens to whip and beat his son, but it turns out that the "whipping" and "beating" involve making pudding.
(b) A pudding comes to life to terrorize a small town.
(c) A pudding cup joins with other food items to defeat a rotten piece of cheese.
(d) A schoolgirl imagines that her pudding is the ocean, and she daydreams about a fantastic sea voyage.
2. When Mr. Turner sees Codell and several of her students wearing saris, what does he think?
(a) He believes Codell is having a cultural festival.
(b) He believes Codell is a terrible influence on her students.
(c) He believes Codell is mocking his own wearing of a sari two weeks earlier.
(d) He believes Codell is performing an open act of defiance.
3. Which best describes an aspect of Codell's philosophy of reading out loud to the class?
(a) Each child should have a book, so they can follow along with the reading.
(b) Any difficult words should be immediately looked up in the dictionary.
(c) The teacher should often stop to have discussions about the text.
(d) The teacher should read words very slowly and loudly.
4. Which is NOT one of the reasons, according to Jim Trelease, that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
(a) Although Codell's students didn't learn the "right" things, they had a ton of fun along the way.
(b) Codell was a success, and her students learned.
(c) Codell is young, and represents the future.
(d) It provides a realistic snapshot of American education.
5. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "literary luminary" play?
(a) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(b) Making questions up about the book.
(c) Defining difficult words in the text.
(d) Reading passages out loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell teach the students to multiply double-digit numbers?
2. What ultimate fear does Codell express about Melanie?
3. What is Mr. Turner's criticism of the Storyteller Festival?
4. Which word best completes the following Codell phrase: So much of teaching is _____.
5. How does the teachers union representative react to Codell's request to become a representative?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)