|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which child is especially shy about being a storyteller?
(c) B. B.
2. What award does Codell receive during the events in the book?
(a) The Caldecott Silver Teaching award.
(b) The Connie Porter award for reading excellence.
(c) The Dr. Peggy Williams award for outstanding Language Arts teacher.
(d) The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. award for outstanding new urban school teacher.
3. Which best describes an aspect of Codell's philosophy of reading out loud to the class?
(a) Any difficult words should be immediately looked up in the dictionary.
(b) Each child should have a book, so they can follow along with the reading.
(c) The teacher should often stop to have discussions about the text.
(d) The teacher should read words very slowly and loudly.
4. According to Esme, how do her new students in her new school (as of the Epilogue) behave?
(a) Like weird aliens.
(b) Like spoiled brats.
(c) Like little angels.
(d) Like gangster thugs.
5. What does Esme think about the physical appearance of her former students at the graduation ceremony?
(a) They seem huge, like little adults.
(b) They look just about the same.
(c) They are smaller than she remembers them.
(d) They look very different.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Codell's approach to disciplining children?
2. Esme's current principal (as of the Epilogue) has what sort of relationship with Esme?
3. Why does Zykrecia pursue conflict resolution with Kyle?
4. What organization gives a teaching award to Codell, as described in the April 7 entry?
5. How successful is the film Codell shows for sexual education?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)