|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Ms. Esme.
(b) Miss Codell.
(c) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
(d) Mrs. Cordell.
2. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(a) Ms. Federman.
(c) Miss Clark.
(d) Ms. Coil.
3. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
(a) They dress up in authentically-researched Native American clothing.
(b) They have a guest speaker come to share Native American artifacts.
(c) They perform a rain dance.
(d) They visit the zoo to see an American buffalo.
4. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
(b) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(c) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
(d) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
5. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
(a) The service is conducted in a foreign language, and the behavior of those in attendance makes Codell nervous.
(b) Codell feels the eulogies given at the service are inadequate.
(c) The service is small, and Codell believes Ismene deserved a much larger service.
(d) It is raining hard, which Codell considers a bad omen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
2. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
3. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
4. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
5. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
2. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
3. What does Codell think of the numerous speeches at the graduation?
4. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
5. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
6. How does Ms. Federman convince Codell to remain a teacher at the school on February 15?
7. What is Vanessa's problem with the Christmas assembly, and how does she overcome it?
8. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
9. According to the Epilogue, what became of Codell after the events in the journal?
10. Why does Codell resent the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)