|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
(b) Billy Williams.
2. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
(b) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
(c) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(d) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
3. What does Codell call the subject of Math?
(a) Numbers Galore.
(c) Number Crunching 3000.
(d) The Mystery of Symbols.
4. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(b) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
(c) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
(d) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
5. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
(b) The festival is too ambitious.
(c) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
(d) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
2. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
3. Why does Mr. Turner object to Codell's school social committee guidelines on February 15th?
4. Which student becomes teacher for a day, swapping places with Codell?
5. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
2. As related in Part I's first entry, what happens in Codell's first interviews for the position at the new public school?
3. What is B.B.'s home situation like?
4. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
5. What is Codell's opinion of the teaching education she received?
6. What is The Happy Box?
7. Describe the last day of school.
8. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
9. Why is Codell relieved when she refrains from yelling at Latoya for continually coming in late one week?
10. What are Codell's impressions about her former students graduating from middle school?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)