|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
(b) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
(c) Outdoor sports.
(d) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
2. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
3. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(b) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(c) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(d) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
4. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
(b) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
(c) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(d) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
5. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
(a) Unlike Codell, most of the teachers are older veterans pulled from surrounding districts.
(b) There is not one man among the new teachers.
(c) Codell is one of the few white women among the new teachers.
(d) There is a disproportionate amount of white, slender women in their twenties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
2. What does Codell use the Thinking Cap for?
3. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
4. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
5. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
2. How does Ms. Federman convince Codell to remain a teacher at the school on February 15?
3. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
4. At the beginning of Part I, what does fifth-grader Melanie warn incoming students about the fifth grade?
5. Describe the last day of school.
6. Why does Codell resent the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
7. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
8. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
9. What is Codell's opinion of the teaching education she received?
10. What is Vanessa's problem with the Christmas assembly, and how does she overcome it?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)