|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
(b) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
(c) Outdoor sports.
(d) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
2. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(b) The Bishop's Wife.
(c) Citizen Kane.
(d) The Miracle Worker.
3. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(b) Esme Codell.
(c) Ismene Siteles.
(d) Mr. Turner.
4. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
(a) Connie Porter.
(b) Randall Jareel.
(c) Lois Lowry.
(d) Janusz Korczak.
5. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) An old armoire.
(b) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
(c) A large plastic tarp.
(d) Heavy curtains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately says "No" to Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
2. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
3. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
4. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
5. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
2. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
3. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
4. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
5. What dictates what songs Codell hears in her mind throughout the day according to the April 11 entry?
6. Who is Marky?
7. Why does Jim Trelease in the Afterword bring up a governor and a chairman of the State Board of Education?
8. What February 15 incident nearly results in Codell quitting the school?
9. What are Codell's impressions about her former students graduating from middle school?
10. How does Codell build up suspense in her class for the introduction of the "time machine"?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)