|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
(a) Many emulate Codell's colorful bulletin boards.
(b) The teachers applaud Codell and reward her with a Teacher of the Month award.
(c) Most think Codell has done too much, creating an overstimulating environment.
(d) The teachers believe Codell has done an average job, and are indifferent.
2. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
(a) She consistently mispronounces a word in the announcement.
(b) She struggles with a severe lisp.
(c) The announcement is too long, and she cannot memorize it.
(d) She has extreme stage fright, and is too nervous to speak her lines.
3. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
(b) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(c) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(d) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
4. What does Codell use the Thinking Cap for?
(a) She makes troublemaking students wear it, so they can think about what they've done.
(b) She places potpourri and incense in the cap, allowing the wearer to benefit from aromatherapy.
(c) She claims that if students concentrate hard enough with the cap on, they will become smarter.
(d) She puts it on students so they can take extra time to give a good answer.
5. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
2. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
3. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
4. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
5. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Shira's transformation on December 13.
2. Why does Codell react negatively to the "Jordan Rules" teaching guidelines?
3. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
4. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
5. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
6. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
7. Describe the day when a student brings a two-year-old brother to school.
8. Describe the last day of school.
9. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
10. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)