|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
(b) Girl of Many Questions.
(c) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
(d) Girl with Fast Feet.
2. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
(a) The service is small, and Codell believes Ismene deserved a much larger service.
(b) It is raining hard, which Codell considers a bad omen.
(c) The service is conducted in a foreign language, and the behavior of those in attendance makes Codell nervous.
(d) Codell feels the eulogies given at the service are inadequate.
3. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(a) Paper airplanes.
(c) Monster movies.
(d) The Holocaust.
4. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
(a) Most of the businesses approached are poor, small, and highly unlikely donors.
(b) They mistakenly try to approach businesses on a holiday when most are closed.
(c) Mr. Turner is rude to potential donors.
(d) They are working off of an incorrect list of potential donors.
5. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
(a) Confused, because he has lost his way in the school's basement.
(b) Giddy at the prospect of another day on the job.
(c) Cranky and vindictive.
(d) Depressed from a recent death at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
2. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
3. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
4. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
5. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
2. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
3. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
4. Describe Ismene, including her appearance and personality.
5. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
6. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
7. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
8. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
9. What are Codell's impressions about her former students graduating from middle school?
10. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)