|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(b) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(c) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(d) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
2. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(a) Ismene Siteles.
(b) Mr. Turner.
(c) Esme Codell.
3. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
(b) Silver Bells.
(c) Jingle Bell Rock.
(d) White Christmas.
4. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) The students manage to finish a lengthy "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" sing-a-long.
(b) Codell must break up a fight between two female students.
(c) The bus suffers a flat tire, and the students miss the fair.
(d) The bus is attacked by gang members, who throw rocks at the windows.
5. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(b) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(c) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(d) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
2. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
3. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
4. What does the first student to use the "time machine" report about his or her experience?
5. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Codell take B. B. and his little sister in to her home for a night?
2. What is The Happy Box?
3. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
4. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
5. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
6. What toll has the school year taken on Codell?
7. What is Codell's attitude toward teaching sexual education?
8. Describe the last day of school.
9. How is the "time machine" built?
10. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)