|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
(b) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(c) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
(d) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
2. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
(a) She struggles with a severe lisp.
(b) She consistently mispronounces a word in the announcement.
(c) She has extreme stage fright, and is too nervous to speak her lines.
(d) The announcement is too long, and she cannot memorize it.
3. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
(a) The winner is Hispanic, and Mr. Turner believes that, since Addy is black, a black person should win.
(b) Mr. Turner believes the winner cheated in order to win the raffle.
(c) The winner is a boy, and Mr. Turner doesn't believe boys should play with dolls.
(d) Mr. Turner does not believe the doll is appropriate in a school setting.
4. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(c) Billy Williams.
5. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) An old armoire.
(b) Heavy curtains.
(c) A large plastic tarp.
(d) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
2. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
4. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
5. What does the first student to use the "time machine" report about his or her experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Ms. Coil suggest in a January 18 entry, and what does Codell think of these suggestions?
2. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
3. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
4. What does Codell's class do to learn about Native Americans?
5. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
6. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
7. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
9. How does Codell build up suspense in her class for the introduction of the "time machine"?
10. Describe the Storyteller Festival.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)