|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
(a) Several classmates loudly ridicule Ashworth, and Codell must shout them down.
(b) They are silent, and most do not talk to Ashworth afterward.
(c) They support him and threaten to beat up anyone who does not.
(d) Many girls in the class are sickened at the sight.
2. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
(a) Ms. Coil.
(b) Mr. Turner.
(d) Ismene Siteles.
3. Which student becomes teacher for a day, swapping places with Codell?
(d) Billy Williams.
4. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
(b) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(c) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(d) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
5. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
(a) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she plays a drug dealer.
(b) She feels the scantily-clad dancers are inappropriate for children, and she stops the assembly.
(c) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she says "No" to marijuana.
(d) She joins the Slick Boys on stage and impresses with her dance moves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
2. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
3. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
4. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
5. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
2. Describe Miss Clark's attempt to teach Codell's kids on January 11.
3. According to the Epilogue, what became of Codell after the events in the journal?
4. Describe the first time the "time machine" is used.
5. Why does Codell take B. B. and his little sister in to her home for a night?
6. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
7. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
8. As revealed at the end of Part II, what is Codell's ultimate career aspiration?
9. Why is Codell relieved when she refrains from yelling at Latoya for continually coming in late one week?
10. What is the nature of the struggle between Codell and Mr. Turner in Part I in regards to Codell's proper form of address?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)