|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
(a) The Black Hole.
(b) Trouble Basket.
(c) The Well of Worries.
(d) The Little Brown Jug.
2. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
3. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(a) The Miracle Worker.
(c) The Bishop's Wife.
(d) Citizen Kane.
4. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(b) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
(c) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(d) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
5. What does Codell call the subject of Science?
(a) Natural Wonders.
(c) Dr. Weird's Wonderful World.
(d) Mad Scientist Time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
2. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
3. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
4. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
5. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Codell take B. B. and his little sister in to her home for a night?
2. What is the nature of the struggle between Codell and Mr. Turner in Part I in regards to Codell's proper form of address?
3. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
4. How is the "time machine" built?
5. Why does Codell react negatively to the "Jordan Rules" teaching guidelines?
6. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
7. Describe the theft of the Columbus comic book and its resolution.
8. What is The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes about, as described in a September 27 entry?
9. What dictates what songs Codell hears in her mind throughout the day according to the April 11 entry?
10. According to the Epilogue, what became of Codell after the events in the journal?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)