|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Codell's true intention in using the time machine?
(a) She feels that reading is a kind of time travel.
(b) The time machine provides a "time out" for misbehaving students.
(c) By thinking about different years and traveling through time, students will learn math concepts.
(d) Doing work alone in the time machine will make the day seem to go faster for bored students.
2. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(b) Ms. Federman.
(c) Miss Clark.
(d) Ms. Coil.
3. Which student becomes teacher for a day, swapping places with Codell?
(d) Billy Williams.
4. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(a) Esme Codell.
(b) Mr. Turner.
(d) Ismene Siteles.
5. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) To introduce her children to an erupting baking soda volcano.
(b) Because her students' standardized test scores in science were well below average.
(c) To help the kids demonstrate their backpack burglar alarm invention.
(d) To attend a lecture on physics in the real world.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
2. What does Codell call the subject of Science?
3. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
4. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
5. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Marky?
2. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
3. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
4. What is Codell's philosophy about bad behavior, in respect to an incident with B. B.?
5. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
6. What reasons does Trelease give in the Afterword for his contention that Educating Esme is "terribly relevant"?
7. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
8. Why do the students stab the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil on February 1?
9. Describe the last day of school.
10. What February 15 incident nearly results in Codell quitting the school?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)