|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(b) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
(c) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(d) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
2. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
3. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
(a) She chooses to show a brief film clip of Hitler delivering a speech.
(b) She decides to skip the teaching of Nazis; her class is simply too young.
(c) She compares Nazis to Ku Klux Klan members, giving the children a group they are more familiar with.
(d) She chooses a well-respected history book on the subject to read aloud with the class.
4. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
5. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
(a) Miss Clark spoils her children and desperately wants to be liked.
(b) Miss Clark is much too harsh, considering her urban students less than human.
(c) Miss Clark cares more about her boyfriend than about teaching, and she is lazy.
(d) Miss Clark is hopelessly disorganized, and never has a solid lesson plan in place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
2. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
3. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
4. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
5. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
2. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
3. How does Ms. Federman convince Codell to remain a teacher at the school on February 15?
4. What changes does Ms. Coil suggest in a January 18 entry, and what does Codell think of these suggestions?
5. What is the significance of the blue, pink, and gold sari Codell receives?
6. As revealed at the end of Part II, what is Codell's ultimate career aspiration?
7. How is the learning environment different at Codell's new school, versus the students described in the journal?
8. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
9. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
10. What is The Happy Box?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)