|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
(b) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(c) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(d) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
2. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
(a) Has the kids invent their own "better mouse trap."
(b) Holds a brainstorming session in which kids think of fantastic inventions.
(c) Helps her students create a simplified cotton gin.
(d) Dresses up in a wild outfit full of accessories that have inventor stories behind them.
3. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
(a) She chooses to show a brief film clip of Hitler delivering a speech.
(b) She decides to skip the teaching of Nazis; her class is simply too young.
(c) She chooses a well-respected history book on the subject to read aloud with the class.
(d) She compares Nazis to Ku Klux Klan members, giving the children a group they are more familiar with.
4. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
(b) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
(c) The festival is too ambitious.
(d) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
5. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
2. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
3. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
4. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
5. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dictates what songs Codell hears in her mind throughout the day according to the April 11 entry?
2. What is Codell's philosophy about bad behavior, in respect to an incident with B. B.?
3. Why does Codell resent the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
4. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
5. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
6. Describe Ismene, including her appearance and personality.
7. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
8. What changes does Ms. Coil suggest in a January 18 entry, and what does Codell think of these suggestions?
9. As related in Part I's first entry, what happens in Codell's first interviews for the position at the new public school?
10. How is the learning environment different at Codell's new school, versus the students described in the journal?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)