|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
(a) Miss Clark is much too harsh, considering her urban students less than human.
(b) Miss Clark cares more about her boyfriend than about teaching, and she is lazy.
(c) Miss Clark spoils her children and desperately wants to be liked.
(d) Miss Clark is hopelessly disorganized, and never has a solid lesson plan in place.
2. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
(a) Mr. Turner is rude to potential donors.
(b) They are working off of an incorrect list of potential donors.
(c) Most of the businesses approached are poor, small, and highly unlikely donors.
(d) They mistakenly try to approach businesses on a holiday when most are closed.
3. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
(b) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(c) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
(d) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
4. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
(a) She feels the scantily-clad dancers are inappropriate for children, and she stops the assembly.
(b) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she says "No" to marijuana.
(c) She joins the Slick Boys on stage and impresses with her dance moves.
(d) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she plays a drug dealer.
5. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(b) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
(c) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
(d) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stolen from Codell's classroom on October 5?
2. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
3. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
4. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
5. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ms. Federman convince Codell to remain a teacher at the school on February 15?
2. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
3. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
4. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
5. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
6. Describe some things Codell's class does for Halloween.
7. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
8. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
9. How does Codell build up suspense in her class for the introduction of the "time machine"?
10. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)