|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
(a) How to Fold a Paper Snowflake.
(b) How to Draw an Invisible Dragon.
(c) How to Tame a Tiger.
(d) How to Teach Impossible Students.
2. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
3. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
(b) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
(c) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(d) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
4. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
(a) Ms. Coil is angry for not being informed about a field trip to the Native American History Museum.
(b) Ms. Coil believes fifth-graders are too old to dress up in Native American costumes.
(c) Ms. Coil believes having a "powwow" stereotypes Native American culture.
(d) Codell only teaches about one tribe, and Ms. Coil prefers a broader approach.
5. What does Codell use the Thinking Cap for?
(a) She puts it on students so they can take extra time to give a good answer.
(b) She makes troublemaking students wear it, so they can think about what they've done.
(c) She claims that if students concentrate hard enough with the cap on, they will become smarter.
(d) She places potpourri and incense in the cap, allowing the wearer to benefit from aromatherapy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
2. What is Codell's impression of the scary story contest she holds for Halloween?
3. What is Codell's general attitude toward Ms. Federman?
4. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
5. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the Epilogue, what became of Codell after the events in the journal?
2. What is The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes about, as described in a September 27 entry?
3. Describe Ismene, including her appearance and personality.
4. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
5. What embarrassing exchange over pronunciation happens in Part I's meeting over Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
6. Describe the last day of school.
7. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
8. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
9. Who is Marky?
10. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)