|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(b) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
(c) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
(d) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
2. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Hair that Flows like Water.
(b) Madame of Mathematics.
(c) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
(d) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
3. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(b) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
(c) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
(d) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
4. What is Codell's general attitude toward Ms. Federman?
(a) Codell is angry with Ms. Federman, because she promises to help Codell but never does.
(b) She thinks Ms. Federman is a dinosaur from a long-gone era.
(c) She respects her persistence in teaching for so long.
(d) She cannot agree with almost all of Ms. Federman's radical teaching methods.
5. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Mrs. Cordell.
(b) Miss Codell.
(c) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
(d) Ms. Esme.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
2. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
3. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
4. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
5. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Happy Box?
2. At the beginning of Part I, what does fifth-grader Melanie warn incoming students about the fifth grade?
3. Why is Codell relieved when she refrains from yelling at Latoya for continually coming in late one week?
4. As revealed at the end of Part II, what is Codell's ultimate career aspiration?
5. Explain the story of Ozzie becoming ill at school.
6. What is Codell's experience in proctoring another class for a standardized test?
7. What is Codell's philosophy about bad behavior, in respect to an incident with B. B.?
8. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
9. What are Codell's impressions about her former students graduating from middle school?
10. Describe Codell's experience with the teachers union representative.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)