|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(b) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(c) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(d) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
2. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
(b) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(c) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
(d) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
3. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
(c) Ms. Federman.
(d) Mr. Turner.
4. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(a) Ms. Coil.
(c) Miss Clark.
(d) Ms. Federman.
5. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly hispanic.
(b) Mostly white.
(c) Mostly black.
(d) About half and half, black and white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
2. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
3. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
4. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
5. How many new teachers are introduced prior to the school's opening in Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
2. What happens with Perry, the gang member Codell confronts regarding an incident on October 13?
3. What dictates what songs Codell hears in her mind throughout the day according to the April 11 entry?
4. What award does Codell win early in Part III, and why is it important to her?
5. What question does Codell have for the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
6. According to the Epilogue, what became of Codell after the events in the journal?
7. What February 15 incident nearly results in Codell quitting the school?
8. Describe Shira's transformation on December 13.
9. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
10. What does Codell think of the numerous speeches at the graduation?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)