|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(b) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
(c) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
(d) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
2. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
(b) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
(c) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(d) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
3. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(b) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(c) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(d) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
4. What does the first student to use the "time machine" report about his or her experience?
(a) The student claims to have gone back to the Jurassic period to observe dinosaurs.
(b) The student complains that the time machine is not real.
(c) The student tells about a medieval joust they "witnessed."
(d) The student tells about meeting Wyatt Earp and helping to rid Dodge City of criminals.
5. What is Codell's impression of the scary story contest she holds for Halloween?
(a) She is frustrated that most students haven't improved their writing skills.
(b) She is amazed at Vanessa's story, and how effectively scary it is.
(c) She is disappointed that only a few students volunteer stories for the contest.
(d) She is uncomfortable with the level of gore several students use.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
2. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
4. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
5. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Codell's approach to teaching about the Holocaust and Nazis?
2. Why does Codell react negatively to the "Jordan Rules" teaching guidelines?
3. Describe how Zykrecia resolves a conflict with Kyle on March 28.
4. What is Codell's opinion of the teaching education she received?
5. What is the Fairy Tale Festival?
6. How does Codell build up suspense in her class for the introduction of the "time machine"?
7. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
8. What is the nature of the fight between Shira and Twanette on September 30?
9. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
10. What question does Codell have for the "educational chiropractor" brought in by Mr. Turner?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)