|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
(d) Billy Williams.
2. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
(a) "No. I have enough children to take care of without a husband."
(b) "No. I never found the right man who could understand my passion for teaching."
(c) "No. My husband died several years ago in a car accident."
(d) "Yes. The only thing that makes me happier than my students is my own children."
3. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
(a) A child-sized purse.
(b) A Webster's Dictionary.
(c) A pack of lip glosses in various flavors.
(d) A backpack.
4. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
(a) Many girls in the class are sickened at the sight.
(b) They are silent, and most do not talk to Ashworth afterward.
(c) Several classmates loudly ridicule Ashworth, and Codell must shout them down.
(d) They support him and threaten to beat up anyone who does not.
5. Which is NOT one of the activities Codell proposes for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Three Billy Goats Gruff Toss.
(b) Fairy Tale Fashion Show.
(c) Ugly Duckling Match.
(d) Rescue the Princess from the Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
2. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
3. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
4. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
5. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
Short Essay Questions
1. As related in Part I's first entry, what happens in Codell's first interviews for the position at the new public school?
2. Describe the circumstances surrounding Melanie's birthday on January 8?
3. What is Codell's rationale for insisting her students call her Madame Esme?
4. How does Codell believe that Mr. Turner chose the teachers for his school?
5. Describe the Storyteller Festival.
6. Describe the first time the "time machine" is used.
7. Describe how Codell divides her students into reading groups, and the roles assigned to students.
8. What is Codell's opinion of the teaching education she received?
9. What does Codell think of the numerous speeches at the graduation?
10. Describe the story Codell tells about her landlord in a November 10 entry.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)