|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
(a) To "work out the kinks" in school rules.
(b) To "align" the teachers' curriculum.
(c) To "straighten out" the student body.
(d) To "massage" the teachers' union into agreeing to lesser pay.
2. What does Codell allow Kyle to do in order to perform better at math?
(a) Stand on his head.
(b) Run two circles around the classroom.
(c) Go to the bathroom to splash water on his face.
(d) Yell at the top of his lungs.
3. Why is Codell's day spoiled on April 11th?
(a) Someone stole a pack of stickers.
(b) Mr. Turner reports her to the union for insubordination.
(c) Random gunfire erupts in the street, and a classroom window is shot out.
(d) Chicago experiences the worst rainstorm in fifty years.
4. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "literary luminary" play?
(a) Reading passages out loud.
(b) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(c) Making questions up about the book.
(d) Defining difficult words in the text.
5. According to Codell, how must a teacher behave with a student to get him/her to learn?
(a) Tough and strict.
(b) Kind and nurturing.
(c) Aloof and disinterested.
(d) Coy and elusive.
6. When do parents "throw a tantrum" at Esme's new school (as of the Epilogue)?
(a) When the football team fails to make the state finals.
(b) When not enough extracurricular activities are available.
(c) When their kids get F's.
(d) When their kids get C's.
7. Why is Codell afraid of B. B. returning from suspension?
(a) She is afraid B. B. will decide to quit school altogether.
(b) She is afraid B. B. will beat up Vanessa in an act of revenge.
(c) She is afraid B. B. will return with a gun and shoot her.
(d) She is afraid Mr. Turner will doubt that the suspension was necessary at all.
8. What special guest(s) arrive(s) for the Storyteller Festival?
(a) Representatives from the foundation which gave Codell the grant for the festival.
(b) Michael Jordan.
(c) Members of the Chicago Board of Education.
(d) Connie Porter.
9. What does JoEllen ask Codell during sexual education?
(a) JoEllen wonders if she will eventually lay an egg.
(b) JoEllen wonders what her mom meant by the term "abortion."
(c) JoEllen wonders if sex involves goldfish.
(d) JoEllen wonders if sex has to take place underwater.
10. How does Codell prepare her students for the Storytelling Festival?
(a) She has them dress as the main character of their story.
(b) She makes them memorize their stories forwards as well as backwards.
(c) She gives them voice lessons.
(d) She has them practice telling their stories in younger-aged classes.
11. Which student does Codell want as her little sister?
12. Of her thirty-one students, how many graduate from middle school at the ceremony Codell witnesses?
13. Which student, according to Codell, is "an old lady in disguise"?
14. How does Codell teach the students to multiply double-digit numbers?
(a) By creating an elaborate flashcard system.
(b) By using "cha-cha" dance steps.
(c) By staging a Jeopardy-style game show.
(d) By having the students create an Aesop's Fable about the numbers.
15. How successful is the film Codell shows for sexual education?
(a) It sparks a valuable debate.
(b) It makes several students cry.
(c) It leads to more confusion than clarity.
(d) It successfully answers most of the students' questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Afterword, how does the chairman of the State Board of Education act when he visits a school?
2. What does Codell secretly dream about being, rather than a teacher?
3. According to Codell, what is "education's best-kept secret"?
4. Which student does Codell believe has the potential to become a children's book illustrator?
5. How is the Fairy Tale Festival related to the Storyteller Festival?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)