|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Epilogue, what is Esme Codell's impression of Mr. Turner?
(a) Mr. Turner is the same prideful blowhard as ever.
(b) Mr. Turner appears to have changed, and his speech was actually quite stirring.
(c) Mr. Turner is ogling young female teachers, which sickens Codell.
(d) Mr. Turner is unusually reserved.
2. How long did Esme Codell work at the first school she taught at?
(a) Two years.
(b) As of the Epilogue, she continues to teach there to this day.
(c) Ten years.
(d) One year.
3. What is the "last straw" that causes Codell to force Mr. Turner to suspend B. B.?
(a) B. B. sneaks into the girls' bathroom.
(b) B. B. steals a book.
(c) B. B. refuses to do his homework.
(d) B. B. calls her a bad name.
4. What does Codell secretly dream about being, rather than a teacher?
(a) Opera singer.
(b) Television personality.
(c) Professional softball player.
5. What is the purpose of the class making a patchwork quilt?
(a) To teach about the Underground Railroad.
(b) To teach about long division.
(c) To teach about inventors.
(d) To teach about the flowers of the fifty states.
6. What does Codell come to realize about the teaching education she received?
(a) It was entirely too expensive considering its true value.
(b) It was invaluable, and surprisingly effective at preparing her for all sorts of emergencies.
(c) It did little to prepare her for the realities of teaching children.
(d) It was the best time of her young life.
7. What important test does Codell's class take on May 13th?
(a) The Federal Standardized Exam.
(b) The California Assessment of Learning.
(c) The Illinois Standardized Test of Academic Proficiency.
(d) The Iowa Standardized Test of Basic Skills.
8. How long after the events in the journal does Codell write her Epilogue?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Twelve years.
9. How successful is the film Codell shows for sexual education?
(a) It successfully answers most of the students' questions.
(b) It leads to more confusion than clarity.
(c) It sparks a valuable debate.
(d) It makes several students cry.
10. Which word best completes the following Codell phrase: So much of teaching is _____.
(a) Constructing bulletin boards.
(b) Tolerating bad behavior.
(d) Taking attendance.
11. What gift does Codell receive from her students on the last day of school?
(a) A beautiful crystal serving tray.
(b) A pop-up greeting card with all the children's signatures.
(c) A golden scarf with all the children's signatures.
(d) A sari.
12. In the Afterword, how does the chairman of the State Board of Education act when he visits a school?
(a) He acts like he is royalty.
(b) He acts extremely enthusiastic.
(c) He acts cold and indifferent.
(d) He acts humble.
13. Who draws muscle men in his journal?
(c) Billy Williams.
14. How does the class do on the yearly standardized tests the district administers?
(a) The class performs poorly, and Codell is disappointed and disillusioned.
(b) The class scores the best in the state.
(c) The class scores best out of all the fifth-grade classes in the school.
(d) The class scores third-best out of all the fifth-grade classes in the school.
15. What does Esme think about the physical appearance of her former students at the graduation ceremony?
(a) They are smaller than she remembers them.
(b) They look very different.
(c) They seem huge, like little adults.
(d) They look just about the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the songs Codell hears in her mind when Mr. Turner is frustrating her?
2. In the Epilogue, what emotion does Esme associate with her former students?
3. According to Jim Trelease, what kind of portrayal is Educating Esme, with respect to American education?
4. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about Asia?
5. How does Codell prepare her students for the Storytelling Festival?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)