|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "practical predictor" play?
(a) Making questions up about the book.
(b) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(c) Defining difficult words in the text.
(d) Reading passages out loud.
2. How long after the events in the journal does Codell write her Epilogue?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three years.
3. Of her thirty-one students, how many graduate from middle school at the ceremony Codell witnesses?
4. Why is Codell's day spoiled on April 11th?
(a) Chicago experiences the worst rainstorm in fifty years.
(b) Mr. Turner reports her to the union for insubordination.
(c) Random gunfire erupts in the street, and a classroom window is shot out.
(d) Someone stole a pack of stickers.
5. Which student does Codell want as her little sister?
6. How successful is the film Codell shows for sexual education?
(a) It leads to more confusion than clarity.
(b) It makes several students cry.
(c) It sparks a valuable debate.
(d) It successfully answers most of the students' questions.
7. Why is Codell afraid of B. B. returning from suspension?
(a) She is afraid B. B. will beat up Vanessa in an act of revenge.
(b) She is afraid B. B. will decide to quit school altogether.
(c) She is afraid B. B. will return with a gun and shoot her.
(d) She is afraid Mr. Turner will doubt that the suspension was necessary at all.
8. How does Codell teach Melanie to control her destructive urges?
(a) Codell tells Melanie to think about sitting on the beach in Hawaii, rather than committing the crime.
(b) Codell tells her that when she has a "funny feeling" in her stomach telling her to commit a crime, she should find Codell instead.
(c) Codell calls a parent-teacher conference to explain the issue to Melanie's mother.
(d) Codell refuses to let Melanie check out any books from the classroom library unless Melanie stops.
9. What is the former occupation of Esme's current principal (as of the Epilogue)?
(a) Civil engineer.
(b) Army colonel.
(c) College professor.
(d) School librarian.
10. What is the result of Codell's conference with Rowisha, B. B.'s mother?
(a) Rowisha beats B. B. to the point that Codell punches the woman.
(b) Rowisha beats B. B. to the ground until he is hysterical.
(c) Rowisha never shows, and B. B. feels abandoned.
(d) Rowisha apologizes for her son, B. B. never acts up again, and the conference is a complete success.
11. What song does Codell hear in her mind when she has recess duty?
(a) "Sing a Simple Song" by Sly and the Family Stone.
(b) "Cinderella's Departure for the Ball" by Prokofiev.
(c) "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" by B. J. Thomas.
(d) "Stoney End" by Laura Nyro.
12. What does Esme think about the physical appearance of her former students at the graduation ceremony?
(a) They are smaller than she remembers them.
(b) They seem huge, like little adults.
(c) They look just about the same.
(d) They look very different.
13. What is the "last straw" that causes Codell to force Mr. Turner to suspend B. B.?
(a) B. B. sneaks into the girls' bathroom.
(b) B. B. steals a book.
(c) B. B. calls her a bad name.
(d) B. B. refuses to do his homework.
14. Who is Codell especially impressed with, in respect to his or her stitching skills?
15. Why does B. B. sleep over at Codell's apartment one night?
(a) B. B.'s mother fears violence from her abusive boyfriend.
(b) Codell is rewarding B. B. for winning a game show contest in class.
(c) B. B. celebrates his birthday with a half dozen other kids who also stay the night.
(d) B. B.'s mother threw him out, and he is homeless for one night before becoming a ward of the state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What misbehavior does Melanie have a propensity to commit?
2. Why does Codell compare teaching to an apple in her poem "How to Teach Learning"?
3. Which child is especially shy about being a storyteller?
4. What is the plot of the story "The Pudding Like the Night on the Sea"?
5. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)