|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "literary luminary" play?
(a) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(b) Making questions up about the book.
(c) Defining difficult words in the text.
(d) Reading passages out loud.
2. What kind of speeches are delivered at the middle school graduation ceremony, according to Codell?
(a) They seem to be pleas to the students not to start a life of crime.
(b) They are noble and uplifting.
(c) They are funny and endearing.
(d) They scold the student body for a recent gang incident at the school.
3. What does JoEllen ask Codell during sexual education?
(a) JoEllen wonders what her mom meant by the term "abortion."
(b) JoEllen wonders if sex involves goldfish.
(c) JoEllen wonders if she will eventually lay an egg.
(d) JoEllen wonders if sex has to take place underwater.
4. Why does B. B. sleep over at Codell's apartment one night?
(a) B. B.'s mother threw him out, and he is homeless for one night before becoming a ward of the state.
(b) B. B. celebrates his birthday with a half dozen other kids who also stay the night.
(c) B. B.'s mother fears violence from her abusive boyfriend.
(d) Codell is rewarding B. B. for winning a game show contest in class.
5. What is one of the songs Codell hears in her mind when Mr. Turner is frustrating her?
(a) "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones.
(b) "Perpetuum Mobile" by Novacek.
(c) "Control Yourself" by Jackie and Roy Kral.
(d) "Nothing from Nothing" by Billy Preston.
6. Why is Ozzie becoming ill at school?
(a) Ozzie has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
(b) Ozzie is eating Elmer's glue.
(c) Ozzie's nausea is purely psychosomatic.
(d) Fearful of going hungry, Ozzie eats several hamburgers at a time during lunch.
7. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
(a) She loves babies, and is happy to tend to the child for the day.
(b) She figures having a baby in the class will be a valuable teaching moment.
(c) She is afraid of the potential consequences for the student in question.
(d) She is afraid Mr. Turner might turn the baby over to Child Protective Services.
8. What special guest(s) arrive(s) for the Storyteller Festival?
(a) Michael Jordan.
(b) Connie Porter.
(c) Representatives from the foundation which gave Codell the grant for the festival.
(d) Members of the Chicago Board of Education.
9. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about light?
(a) Learn Morse Code by clicking flashlights on and off.
(b) Stage a shadow-puppet show.
(c) Calculate the speed of light with a shoe box with a pinhole in it.
(d) Paint rainbows, showing the accurate colors of a rainbow.
10. What does Jim Trelease blame for poor reading scores in "a certain western state"?
(a) Inner-city crime.
(b) Lazy students.
(c) Lack of library funding.
(d) Lazy teachers.
11. Who brings her two-year-old brother to school one day?
12. What important test does Codell's class take on May 13th?
(a) The Federal Standardized Exam.
(b) The Illinois Standardized Test of Academic Proficiency.
(c) The Iowa Standardized Test of Basic Skills.
(d) The California Assessment of Learning.
13. What kind of film does Codell show for sexual education?
(a) A cartoon of two goldfish mixing egg and sperm.
(b) A Discovery channel series about sexual reproduction in the animal kingdom.
(c) Basketball star Magic Johnson talking about how he acquired HIV.
(d) A film clip from the Michael Douglas film Basic Instinct.
14. What organization gives a teaching award to Codell, as described in the April 7 entry?
(a) American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The National Teachers' Association.
(c) Chicago Area Reading Association.
(d) The American Organization for Teaching Excellence.
15. Why is Latoya consistently late to school in the second week of April?
(a) She is now living with her biological father, and must take a bus instead of walking.
(b) Latoya is silently protesting the idea of coming to school.
(c) Her family has been moved to a shelter, and she must take the train instead of walking.
(d) Latoya's mother has been beating her, and she cannot get out of bed until late every morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "discussion director" play?
2. What conflict resolution does Kyle agree to with Zykrecia?
3. What is Mr. Turner's criticism of the Storyteller Festival?
4. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about Asia?
5. What is the plot of the story "The Pudding Like the Night on the Sea"?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)