|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about medieval history.
(a) Make a diagram of all the parts of a knight's armor.
(b) Have a mock jousting tournament.
(c) Read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, and act out some of the stories.
(d) Make a castle out of marshmallows.
2. What special guest(s) arrive(s) for the Storyteller Festival?
(a) Connie Porter.
(b) Michael Jordan.
(c) Representatives from the foundation which gave Codell the grant for the festival.
(d) Members of the Chicago Board of Education.
3. What does JoEllen ask Codell during sexual education?
(a) JoEllen wonders what her mom meant by the term "abortion."
(b) JoEllen wonders if sex has to take place underwater.
(c) JoEllen wonders if sex involves goldfish.
(d) JoEllen wonders if she will eventually lay an egg.
4. In the Epilogue, what emotion does Esme associate with her former students?
5. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "language lover" play?
(a) Reading passages out loud.
(b) Guessing what comes next in the plot of the book.
(c) Defining difficult words in the text.
(d) Making questions up about the book.
6. According to Esme, how do her new students in her new school (as of the Epilogue) behave?
(a) Like spoiled brats.
(b) Like weird aliens.
(c) Like little angels.
(d) Like gangster thugs.
7. What does Jim Trelease blame for poor reading scores in "a certain western state"?
(a) Inner-city crime.
(b) Lazy teachers.
(c) Lack of library funding.
(d) Lazy students.
8. How does Codell teach Melanie to control her destructive urges?
(a) Codell tells Melanie to think about sitting on the beach in Hawaii, rather than committing the crime.
(b) Codell tells her that when she has a "funny feeling" in her stomach telling her to commit a crime, she should find Codell instead.
(c) Codell calls a parent-teacher conference to explain the issue to Melanie's mother.
(d) Codell refuses to let Melanie check out any books from the classroom library unless Melanie stops.
9. What conflict resolution does Kyle agree to with Zykrecia?
(a) Kyle will bring her lunch for a week.
(b) Kyle agrees to return the pencil he stole.
(c) Kyle agrees to never speak to Zykrecia again.
(d) Kyle agrees to bake her a cupcake for her upcoming birthday.
10. Who is Codell especially impressed with, in respect to his or her stitching skills?
11. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
(a) To "straighten out" the student body.
(b) To "massage" the teachers' union into agreeing to lesser pay.
(c) To "work out the kinks" in school rules.
(d) To "align" the teachers' curriculum.
12. In the Epilogue, what is Esme Codell's impression of Mr. Turner?
(a) Mr. Turner is ogling young female teachers, which sickens Codell.
(b) Mr. Turner appears to have changed, and his speech was actually quite stirring.
(c) Mr. Turner is the same prideful blowhard as ever.
(d) Mr. Turner is unusually reserved.
13. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
(a) She is afraid of the potential consequences for the student in question.
(b) She loves babies, and is happy to tend to the child for the day.
(c) She is afraid Mr. Turner might turn the baby over to Child Protective Services.
(d) She figures having a baby in the class will be a valuable teaching moment.
14. Why is Codell's day spoiled on April 11th?
(a) Mr. Turner reports her to the union for insubordination.
(b) Random gunfire erupts in the street, and a classroom window is shot out.
(c) Someone stole a pack of stickers.
(d) Chicago experiences the worst rainstorm in fifty years.
15. How does the class do on the yearly standardized tests the district administers?
(a) The class scores third-best out of all the fifth-grade classes in the school.
(b) The class scores the best in the state.
(c) The class performs poorly, and Codell is disappointed and disillusioned.
(d) The class scores best out of all the fifth-grade classes in the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which child is especially shy about being a storyteller?
2. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "practical predictor" play?
3. What award does Codell receive during the events in the book?
4. What organization gives a teaching award to Codell, as described in the April 7 entry?
5. Why do Ozzie's grades plummet?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)