|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Turner's criticism of the Storyteller Festival?
(a) The students don't seem involved, and Codell should probably have chosen better stories.
(b) Codell is exploring race relations with the chosen stories, which is too adult a matter to deal with.
(c) The stories chosen are much too long.
(d) It is rowdy, and probably should have been held in the commons area and not the library.
2. What kind of speeches are delivered at the middle school graduation ceremony, according to Codell?
(a) They are noble and uplifting.
(b) They seem to be pleas to the students not to start a life of crime.
(c) They are funny and endearing.
(d) They scold the student body for a recent gang incident at the school.
3. Which child is especially shy about being a storyteller?
(b) B. B.
4. How successful is the film Codell shows for sexual education?
(a) It leads to more confusion than clarity.
(b) It makes several students cry.
(c) It sparks a valuable debate.
(d) It successfully answers most of the students' questions.
5. What is Codell's response when Rowisha tells her about B. B.'s horrible home life?
(a) Codell mocks Rowisha, making matters worse.
(b) Codell and Rowisha cry together, and later they become friends.
(c) Codell believes that even bad home circumstances are no excuse for bad behavior at school.
(d) Codell is so moved by the tragic story that she gives Rowisha two hundred dollars.
6. What does Codell secretly dream about being, rather than a teacher?
(a) Professional softball player.
(b) Opera singer.
(c) Television personality.
7. When Mr. Turner sees Codell and several of her students wearing saris, what does he think?
(a) He believes Codell is performing an open act of defiance.
(b) He believes Codell is having a cultural festival.
(c) He believes Codell is a terrible influence on her students.
(d) He believes Codell is mocking his own wearing of a sari two weeks earlier.
8. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about Asia?
(a) Dress as samurai.
(b) Stage a kabuki theater play.
(c) Make sushi.
(d) Make a kimono.
9. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
(a) To "work out the kinks" in school rules.
(b) To "massage" the teachers' union into agreeing to lesser pay.
(c) To "straighten out" the student body.
(d) To "align" the teachers' curriculum.
10. According to the educational chiropractor, how many units can a teacher teach per school year?
11. Which word best completes the following Codell phrase: So much of teaching is _____.
(a) Constructing bulletin boards.
(b) Tolerating bad behavior.
(c) Taking attendance.
12. What gift does Codell receive from her students on the last day of school?
(a) A golden scarf with all the children's signatures.
(b) A pop-up greeting card with all the children's signatures.
(c) A beautiful crystal serving tray.
(d) A sari.
13. What special guest(s) arrive(s) for the Storyteller Festival?
(a) Representatives from the foundation which gave Codell the grant for the festival.
(b) Connie Porter.
(c) Michael Jordan.
(d) Members of the Chicago Board of Education.
14. What kind of film does Codell show for sexual education?
(a) A Discovery channel series about sexual reproduction in the animal kingdom.
(b) A cartoon of two goldfish mixing egg and sperm.
(c) A film clip from the Michael Douglas film Basic Instinct.
(d) Basketball star Magic Johnson talking about how he acquired HIV.
15. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about light?
(a) Learn Morse Code by clicking flashlights on and off.
(b) Calculate the speed of light with a shoe box with a pinhole in it.
(c) Stage a shadow-puppet show.
(d) Paint rainbows, showing the accurate colors of a rainbow.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jim Trelease, what kind of portrayal is Educating Esme, with respect to American education?
2. In Codell's reading group method, what role does the "literary luminary" play?
3. Why is Latoya consistently late to school in the second week of April?
4. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
5. What organization gives a teaching award to Codell, as described in the April 7 entry?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)