|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of speeches are delivered at the middle school graduation ceremony, according to Codell?
(a) They are funny and endearing.
(b) They are noble and uplifting.
(c) They seem to be pleas to the students not to start a life of crime.
(d) They scold the student body for a recent gang incident at the school.
2. Why did Esme receive a low teacher rating in her second year of teaching?
(a) Vindictive Mr. Turner punished her for her outspoken nature.
(b) She had a disastrous second annual Storyteller's Festival.
(c) She refused to follow state-mandated curricula.
(d) She was pregnant, and took too many sick days.
3. What is the former occupation of Esme's current principal (as of the Epilogue)?
(a) School librarian.
(b) College professor.
(c) Civil engineer.
(d) Army colonel.
4. Which student does Codell want as her little sister?
5. What is Codell's response when Rowisha tells her about B. B.'s horrible home life?
(a) Codell mocks Rowisha, making matters worse.
(b) Codell and Rowisha cry together, and later they become friends.
(c) Codell is so moved by the tragic story that she gives Rowisha two hundred dollars.
(d) Codell believes that even bad home circumstances are no excuse for bad behavior at school.
6. What does JoEllen ask Codell during sexual education?
(a) JoEllen wonders if she will eventually lay an egg.
(b) JoEllen wonders what her mom meant by the term "abortion."
(c) JoEllen wonders if sex has to take place underwater.
(d) JoEllen wonders if sex involves goldfish.
7. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about medieval history.
(a) Read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, and act out some of the stories.
(b) Make a castle out of marshmallows.
(c) Make a diagram of all the parts of a knight's armor.
(d) Have a mock jousting tournament.
8. What ultimate fear does Codell express about Melanie?
(a) Melanie may grow up to become a felon.
(b) Melanie will likely have to repeat the fifth grade.
(c) Melanie will fail as a storyteller, and ruin the Storyteller Festival.
(d) Melanie may be expelled from the district after a hearing.
9. How long after the events in the journal does Codell write her Epilogue?
(a) Two months.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
10. What gift does Codell receive from her students on the last day of school?
(a) A golden scarf with all the children's signatures.
(b) A pop-up greeting card with all the children's signatures.
(c) A beautiful crystal serving tray.
(d) A sari.
11. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
(a) To "massage" the teachers' union into agreeing to lesser pay.
(b) To "work out the kinks" in school rules.
(c) To "align" the teachers' curriculum.
(d) To "straighten out" the student body.
12. Why is Latoya consistently late to school in the second week of April?
(a) Latoya's mother has been beating her, and she cannot get out of bed until late every morning.
(b) Latoya is silently protesting the idea of coming to school.
(c) She is now living with her biological father, and must take a bus instead of walking.
(d) Her family has been moved to a shelter, and she must take the train instead of walking.
13. Why does Zykrecia pursue conflict resolution with Kyle?
(a) Kyle made a lewd statement to Zykrecia.
(b) Kyle superglued Zykrecia's locker shut.
(c) Kyle punched her during lunch.
(d) Kyle stole a pink pencil from Zykrecia.
14. What is one of the songs Codell hears in her mind when Mr. Turner is frustrating her?
(a) "Perpetuum Mobile" by Novacek.
(b) "Control Yourself" by Jackie and Roy Kral.
(c) "Nothing from Nothing" by Billy Preston.
(d) "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones.
15. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about light?
(a) Paint rainbows, showing the accurate colors of a rainbow.
(b) Calculate the speed of light with a shoe box with a pinhole in it.
(c) Learn Morse Code by clicking flashlights on and off.
(d) Stage a shadow-puppet show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of film does Codell show for sexual education?
2. What kind of people too often dominate public education, according to Trelease?
3. What conflict resolution does Kyle agree to with Zykrecia?
4. How does Codell teach Melanie to control her destructive urges?
5. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)