|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which student does Codell want as her little sister?
2. What does Codell tell B. B., which she later apologizes for?
(a) She says B. B. deserved all the beatings his mother gave him.
(b) She says he is acting like a jerk.
(c) She says she wishes B. B. was not in her class.
(d) She tells B. B. he's very likely to end up in a street gang.
3. What ultimate fear does Codell express about Melanie?
(a) Melanie may grow up to become a felon.
(b) Melanie will fail as a storyteller, and ruin the Storyteller Festival.
(c) Melanie may be expelled from the district after a hearing.
(d) Melanie will likely have to repeat the fifth grade.
4. According to Jim Trelease, what kind of portrayal is Educating Esme, with respect to American education?
5. How long did Esme Codell work at the first school she taught at?
(a) One year.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) As of the Epilogue, she continues to teach there to this day.
6. What is the stated purpose of the "educational chiropractor" early in Part III?
(a) To "work out the kinks" in school rules.
(b) To "massage" the teachers' union into agreeing to lesser pay.
(c) To "straighten out" the student body.
(d) To "align" the teachers' curriculum.
7. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about Asia?
(a) Make a kimono.
(b) Make sushi.
(c) Dress as samurai.
(d) Stage a kabuki theater play.
8. What teaching guidelines are given to the school by the Michael Jordan Foundation?
(a) The Jordan Rules.
(b) The Championship Way.
(c) The Slam Dunk Doctrines.
(d) The 3-Pointers of Success.
9. What best describes Codell's approach to disciplining children?
(a) Codell longs for the days in which teachers could physically discipline students, because it was so effective.
(b) Teachers should do little to no disciplining; disciplining stifles creativity.
(c) The bulk of a teachers' efforts should be put toward discipline.
(d) Teachers should only do mild disciplining; principals should handle true problem children.
10. What animal does Melanie do her vertebrate report on?
11. What is Mr. Turner's criticism of the Storyteller Festival?
(a) The students don't seem involved, and Codell should probably have chosen better stories.
(b) The stories chosen are much too long.
(c) It is rowdy, and probably should have been held in the commons area and not the library.
(d) Codell is exploring race relations with the chosen stories, which is too adult a matter to deal with.
12. What misbehavior does Melanie have a propensity to commit?
(a) Beating up kids.
(b) Exposing herself to others.
13. What gift does Akila give to Codell?
(a) A sari.
(b) A woven basket.
(c) Fake vomit, as a joke.
(d) A gold necklace.
14. According to the educational chiropractor, how many units can a teacher teach per school year?
15. Which child is especially shy about being a storyteller?
(c) B. B.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Codell hear in her mind when she has recess duty?
2. Why do Ozzie's grades plummet?
3. Which best describes an aspect of Codell's philosophy of reading out loud to the class?
4. Why is Codell impressed with her students when they have a field trip to the Historical Society?
5. Why did Esme receive a low teacher rating in her second year of teaching?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)