|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
(a) Mr. Turner.
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(c) Ms. Coil.
2. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
(b) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
(c) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(d) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
3. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
(a) She is never allowed to teach, but only observe.
(b) On the first day.
(c) On the second day.
(d) After one month.
4. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Master of Kickball.
(b) Boy Who Wears Cool Clothes.
(c) Boy Who Draws Like Crazy.
(d) Boy of the Many Crayons.
5. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(b) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
(c) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
(d) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
6. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
(a) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(b) Mrs. Esme.
(c) Ms. Codell.
(d) Ms. Esme.
7. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
(a) Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
(b) Kermit the Frog.
(c) King Kong.
(d) The Incredible Hulk.
8. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
(a) They perform a rain dance.
(b) They visit the zoo to see an American buffalo.
(c) They have a guest speaker come to share Native American artifacts.
(d) They dress up in authentically-researched Native American clothing.
9. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(b) Ms. Coil.
(c) Ms. Federman.
(d) Miss Clark.
10. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
(a) Mastery of the yo-yo.
(c) Reading comprehension.
11. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
(a) Madame Esme.
(b) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(c) Mrs. Esme.
(d) Ms. Esme.
12. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) An old armoire.
(b) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
(c) A large plastic tarp.
(d) Heavy curtains.
13. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(b) Billy Williams.
14. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(b) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(c) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(d) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
15. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
(a) A whorehouse.
(b) A palace of learning.
(c) A den of sin.
(d) A filthy mess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
2. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
3. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
4. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
5. What about Mr. Turner's phone call habits irks Codell in the first few entries of the book?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)