|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(b) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(c) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
(d) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
2. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
(a) Mrs. Esme.
(b) Ms. Esme.
(c) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(d) Madame Esme.
3. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(b) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(c) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
(d) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
4. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(b) Miss Clark.
(c) Ms. Coil.
(d) Ms. Federman.
5. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(b) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(c) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(d) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
6. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(b) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
(c) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(d) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
7. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
8. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
(a) Billy Williams.
9. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) The Bat-Poet.
(b) Helen Keller's Life.
(c) The Hundred Dresses.
(d) Greek Myths.
10. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(a) Ismene Siteles.
(c) Esme Codell.
(d) Mr. Turner.
11. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) Jingle Bell Rock.
(b) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
(c) Silver Bells.
(d) White Christmas.
12. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(a) Citizen Kane.
(b) The Miracle Worker.
(d) The Bishop's Wife.
13. What is Codell's general attitude toward Ms. Federman?
(a) She respects her persistence in teaching for so long.
(b) She cannot agree with almost all of Ms. Federman's radical teaching methods.
(c) She thinks Ms. Federman is a dinosaur from a long-gone era.
(d) Codell is angry with Ms. Federman, because she promises to help Codell but never does.
14. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
(b) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
(c) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(d) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
15. How many new teachers are introduced prior to the school's opening in Part I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
2. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
3. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
4. Which is NOT one of the activities Codell proposes for the Fairy Tale Festival?
5. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)