|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(a) Ismene Siteles.
(c) Mr. Turner.
(d) Esme Codell.
2. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
(a) A Webster's Dictionary.
(b) A backpack.
(c) A pack of lip glosses in various flavors.
(d) A child-sized purse.
3. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) White Christmas.
(b) Silver Bells.
(c) Jingle Bell Rock.
(d) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
4. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
(a) King Kong.
(b) Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
(c) The Incredible Hulk.
(d) Kermit the Frog.
5. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(b) Paper airplanes.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) Monster movies.
6. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
(b) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(c) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
(d) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
7. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
(a) They are working off of an incorrect list of potential donors.
(b) Mr. Turner is rude to potential donors.
(c) They mistakenly try to approach businesses on a holiday when most are closed.
(d) Most of the businesses approached are poor, small, and highly unlikely donors.
8. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
(a) The Thinking Cap.
(b) The Happy Box.
(c) Her roller skates.
(d) The Time Machine.
9. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
10. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
(a) Helps her students create a simplified cotton gin.
(b) Dresses up in a wild outfit full of accessories that have inventor stories behind them.
(c) Holds a brainstorming session in which kids think of fantastic inventions.
(d) Has the kids invent their own "better mouse trap."
11. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
(b) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(c) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
(d) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
12. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
(b) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
(c) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
(d) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
13. Who ultimately says "No" to Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Ms. Coil.
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(c) Mr. Turner.
(d) Miss Clark.
14. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
(b) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
(c) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(d) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
15. Which is NOT one of the activities Codell proposes for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Rescue the Princess from the Tower.
(b) Three Billy Goats Gruff Toss.
(c) Fairy Tale Fashion Show.
(d) Ugly Duckling Match.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
2. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
3. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
4. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
5. Where does Codell take her students on January 20?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)