|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Codell take Ms. Coil's suggestion that she should place student papers on her wall higher up?
(a) Placing them higher would mean disassembling and reassembling the entire board.
(b) Codell simply wants to spite Ms. Coil and annoy her.
(c) Placing them too high would be a distraction during class.
(d) Codell believes the papers should be hung at the children's eye-level, so they can enjoy them.
2. Why does Codell take her students outside for a field trip on January 7th?
(a) There is snow on the ground, and the trip is a chance to teach about precipitation.
(b) Codell feels that the students have been cooped up too long, and they will find the outdoors refreshing.
(c) She has the students build an elaborate snowman to encourage teamwork.
(d) The trip is a chance to examine trees and decide what kind of trees they are.
3. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Boy Who Draws Like Crazy.
(b) Master of Kickball.
(c) Boy of the Many Crayons.
(d) Boy Who Wears Cool Clothes.
4. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
(b) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(c) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
(d) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
5. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(b) Miss Clark.
(c) Ms. Federman.
(d) Ms. Coil.
6. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(b) Billy Williams.
7. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(a) Paper airplanes.
(b) Monster movies.
(c) The Holocaust.
8. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
(b) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
(c) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(d) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
9. What does Codell call the subject of Math?
(a) The Mystery of Symbols.
(b) Numbers Galore.
(d) Number Crunching 3000.
10. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
(a) Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do!
(b) Wash his mouth out with soap!
(c) Take him to the principal's office immediately!
(d) Faint dead away!
11. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
12. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(c) Mr. Turner.
(d) Esme Codell.
13. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl of Many Questions.
(b) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
(c) Girl with Fast Feet.
(d) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
14. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
(a) Miss Clark is much too harsh, considering her urban students less than human.
(b) Miss Clark is hopelessly disorganized, and never has a solid lesson plan in place.
(c) Miss Clark spoils her children and desperately wants to be liked.
(d) Miss Clark cares more about her boyfriend than about teaching, and she is lazy.
15. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
(a) Giddy at the prospect of another day on the job.
(b) Depressed from a recent death at the school.
(c) Cranky and vindictive.
(d) Confused, because he has lost his way in the school's basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
2. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
3. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
4. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
5. Why does Codell initially regret asking Twanette's mother to a conference on September 30?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)