|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Codell's impression of the scary story contest she holds for Halloween?
(a) She is disappointed that only a few students volunteer stories for the contest.
(b) She is frustrated that most students haven't improved their writing skills.
(c) She is amazed at Vanessa's story, and how effectively scary it is.
(d) She is uncomfortable with the level of gore several students use.
2. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Helen Keller's Life.
(b) The Bat-Poet.
(c) The Hundred Dresses.
(d) Greek Myths.
3. How many new teachers are introduced prior to the school's opening in Part I?
4. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
(a) Confused, because he has lost his way in the school's basement.
(b) Depressed from a recent death at the school.
(c) Cranky and vindictive.
(d) Giddy at the prospect of another day on the job.
5. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
(a) Most think Codell has done too much, creating an overstimulating environment.
(b) The teachers applaud Codell and reward her with a Teacher of the Month award.
(c) Many emulate Codell's colorful bulletin boards.
(d) The teachers believe Codell has done an average job, and are indifferent.
6. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
(a) The student eagerly waits at the front door, clipboard in hand.
(b) The student stabs Codell with a pencil.
(c) The student hides in the bathroom, not wanting to participate.
(d) The student tries to attack another student making fun of him or her.
7. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
8. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
(a) How to Teach Impossible Students.
(b) How to Draw an Invisible Dragon.
(c) How to Tame a Tiger.
(d) How to Fold a Paper Snowflake.
9. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(b) Citizen Kane.
(c) The Bishop's Wife.
(d) The Miracle Worker.
10. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
(a) They visit the zoo to see an American buffalo.
(b) They have a guest speaker come to share Native American artifacts.
(c) They dress up in authentically-researched Native American clothing.
(d) They perform a rain dance.
11. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(d) Billy Williams.
12. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
(a) She thought Mr. Turner would write her up for an unauthorized newsletter.
(b) She meant to provide him one, but she must have placed it in the wrong mail box.
(c) She put two newsletters in Ms. Coil's box, and assumed Ms. Coil would give Mr. Turner the extra one.
(d) She knew Mr. Turner would not appreciate the articles.
13. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
14. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Mrs. Cordell.
(b) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
(c) Ms. Esme.
(d) Miss Codell.
15. Why does Codell initially regret asking Twanette's mother to a conference on September 30?
(a) Twanette's mother takes Twanette's side and blames Codell for the perceived misbehavior.
(b) Twanette's mother promises to beat Twanette soundly so her attitude will change.
(c) Twanette's mother decides to pull Twanette from the class and change schools.
(d) Twanette's misbehavior only worsens after the conference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Mr. Turner's phone call habits irks Codell in the first few entries of the book?
2. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
3. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
4. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
5. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)