|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
(a) Ms. Coil believes fifth-graders are too old to dress up in Native American costumes.
(b) Ms. Coil believes having a "powwow" stereotypes Native American culture.
(c) Ms. Coil is angry for not being informed about a field trip to the Native American History Museum.
(d) Codell only teaches about one tribe, and Ms. Coil prefers a broader approach.
2. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
(a) On the first day.
(b) After one month.
(c) On the second day.
(d) She is never allowed to teach, but only observe.
3. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
4. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
(c) The students never reveal who it is.
(d) Billy Williams.
5. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
(a) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(b) Ms. Codell.
(c) Ms. Esme.
(d) Mrs. Esme.
6. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(b) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
(c) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(d) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
7. Who ultimately says "No" to Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Miss Clark.
(b) Mr. Turner.
(c) Ms. Coil.
(d) Ismene Siteles.
8. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
(b) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(c) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
(d) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
9. What does Codell call the subject of Math?
(a) The Mystery of Symbols.
(b) Number Crunching 3000.
(c) Numbers Galore.
10. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
(a) The Friends of the School Library Committee.
(b) Association of Public Librarians.
(c) The Fairy Tale Team.
(d) Committee for Extracurricular Activities.
11. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly white.
(b) Mostly hispanic.
(c) About half and half, black and white.
(d) Mostly black.
12. Why does Codell initially regret asking Twanette's mother to a conference on September 30?
(a) Twanette's mother promises to beat Twanette soundly so her attitude will change.
(b) Twanette's mother decides to pull Twanette from the class and change schools.
(c) Twanette's misbehavior only worsens after the conference.
(d) Twanette's mother takes Twanette's side and blames Codell for the perceived misbehavior.
13. Why doesn't Codell take Ms. Coil's suggestion that she should place student papers on her wall higher up?
(a) Placing them too high would be a distraction during class.
(b) Codell believes the papers should be hung at the children's eye-level, so they can enjoy them.
(c) Placing them higher would mean disassembling and reassembling the entire board.
(d) Codell simply wants to spite Ms. Coil and annoy her.
14. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
(a) She consistently mispronounces a word in the announcement.
(b) She has extreme stage fright, and is too nervous to speak her lines.
(c) She struggles with a severe lisp.
(d) The announcement is too long, and she cannot memorize it.
15. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(a) Billy Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stolen from Codell's classroom on October 5?
2. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
3. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
4. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
5. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)