|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Greek Myths.
(b) The Hundred Dresses.
(c) Helen Keller's Life.
(d) The Bat-Poet.
2. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(b) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
(c) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
(d) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
3. Which student becomes teacher for a day, swapping places with Codell?
(c) Billy Williams.
4. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
(a) The Black Hole.
(b) Trouble Basket.
(c) The Little Brown Jug.
(d) The Well of Worries.
5. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Hair that Flows like Water.
(b) Madame of Mathematics.
(c) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
(d) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
6. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
(a) Take him to the principal's office immediately!
(b) Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do!
(c) Faint dead away!
(d) Wash his mouth out with soap!
7. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
(b) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
(c) Girl of Many Questions.
(d) Girl with Fast Feet.
8. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
(a) It is after school, and Codell is not compensated for her time.
(b) In her attempt to stop the fight, she inadvertently injured one of the girls with her elbow.
(c) No other teachers stepped in to help Codell.
(d) Codell is unable to get the girls to stop arguing after the physical fight is over.
9. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
10. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
(a) A den of sin.
(b) A filthy mess.
(c) A whorehouse.
(d) A palace of learning.
11. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
(b) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(c) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
(d) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
12. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
13. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) A large plastic tarp.
(b) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
(c) An old armoire.
(d) Heavy curtains.
14. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
(b) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
(c) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
(d) The festival is too ambitious.
15. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
(a) Several classmates loudly ridicule Ashworth, and Codell must shout them down.
(b) Many girls in the class are sickened at the sight.
(c) They are silent, and most do not talk to Ashworth afterward.
(d) They support him and threaten to beat up anyone who does not.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
2. Why does Codell fear that student B. B. will be chosen as the first student to use the time machine?
3. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
4. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
5. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)