|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) Silver Bells.
(b) Jingle Bell Rock.
(c) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
(d) White Christmas.
2. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
(b) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
(c) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
(d) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
3. Why does Codell fear that student B. B. will be chosen as the first student to use the time machine?
(a) B. B. is known for violence, and may destroy the time machine.
(b) B. B. is described as a "terrible realist" who may not buy into the fantasy she's trying to create.
(c) B. B. is described as a "hopeless daydreamer," and B. B. may refuse to leave the machine once inside.
(d) B. B. is afraid of the dark, and using the time machine involves being in the dark.
4. Where does Codell take her students on January 20?
(a) The history museum.
(b) Sulzer Regional Library.
(c) The university science fair.
(d) Immmediately outside the school, to examine different types of trees.
5. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
(a) It is after school, and Codell is not compensated for her time.
(b) Codell is unable to get the girls to stop arguing after the physical fight is over.
(c) In her attempt to stop the fight, she inadvertently injured one of the girls with her elbow.
(d) No other teachers stepped in to help Codell.
6. What does Codell call the subject of Math?
(a) Number Crunching 3000.
(b) The Mystery of Symbols.
(c) Numbers Galore.
7. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
(b) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(c) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
(d) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
8. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
(b) Outdoor sports.
(c) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
(d) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
9. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(b) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
(c) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
(d) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
10. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Greek Myths.
(b) Helen Keller's Life.
(c) The Hundred Dresses.
(d) The Bat-Poet.
11. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
(a) They are working off of an incorrect list of potential donors.
(b) They mistakenly try to approach businesses on a holiday when most are closed.
(c) Mr. Turner is rude to potential donors.
(d) Most of the businesses approached are poor, small, and highly unlikely donors.
12. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
13. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Madame of Mathematics.
(b) Hair that Flows like Water.
(c) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
(d) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
14. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
(a) King Kong.
(b) Kermit the Frog.
(c) Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
(d) The Incredible Hulk.
15. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(b) Paper airplanes.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) Monster movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many new teachers are introduced prior to the school's opening in Part I?
2. What is stolen from Codell's classroom on October 5?
3. Why does Codell initially regret asking Twanette's mother to a conference on September 30?
4. What does Codell use the Thinking Cap for?
5. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)