|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
(a) Ms. Esme.
(b) Mrs. Esme.
(c) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(d) Madame Esme.
2. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) The Hundred Dresses.
(b) Helen Keller's Life.
(c) The Bat-Poet.
(d) Greek Myths.
3. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) To introduce her children to an erupting baking soda volcano.
(b) To attend a lecture on physics in the real world.
(c) Because her students' standardized test scores in science were well below average.
(d) To help the kids demonstrate their backpack burglar alarm invention.
4. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly black.
(b) About half and half, black and white.
(c) Mostly hispanic.
(d) Mostly white.
5. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
(b) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
(c) The festival is too ambitious.
(d) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
6. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
(b) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
(c) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(d) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
7. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(b) Ms. Federman.
(c) Miss Clark.
(d) Ms. Coil.
8. Who ultimately says "No" to Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Miss Clark.
(b) Mr. Turner.
(c) Ms. Coil.
(d) Ismene Siteles.
9. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) A large plastic tarp.
(b) An old armoire.
(c) Heavy curtains.
(d) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
10. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
(a) She meant to provide him one, but she must have placed it in the wrong mail box.
(b) She thought Mr. Turner would write her up for an unauthorized newsletter.
(c) She put two newsletters in Ms. Coil's box, and assumed Ms. Coil would give Mr. Turner the extra one.
(d) She knew Mr. Turner would not appreciate the articles.
11. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
(a) Mrs. Esme.
(b) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(c) Ms. Codell.
(d) Ms. Esme.
12. Why does Codell initially regret asking Twanette's mother to a conference on September 30?
(a) Twanette's mother takes Twanette's side and blames Codell for the perceived misbehavior.
(b) Twanette's mother decides to pull Twanette from the class and change schools.
(c) Twanette's mother promises to beat Twanette soundly so her attitude will change.
(d) Twanette's misbehavior only worsens after the conference.
13. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
(a) Cranky and vindictive.
(b) Confused, because he has lost his way in the school's basement.
(c) Giddy at the prospect of another day on the job.
(d) Depressed from a recent death at the school.
14. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
(b) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(c) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
(d) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
15. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
(b) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
(c) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
(d) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
Short Answer Questions
1. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
2. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
3. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
4. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
5. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)