|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) The bus is attacked by gang members, who throw rocks at the windows.
(b) The students manage to finish a lengthy "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" sing-a-long.
(c) The bus suffers a flat tire, and the students miss the fair.
(d) Codell must break up a fight between two female students.
2. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
(a) Lois Lowry.
(b) Connie Porter.
(c) Janusz Korczak.
(d) Randall Jareel.
3. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
(a) Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do!
(b) Take him to the principal's office immediately!
(c) Faint dead away!
(d) Wash his mouth out with soap!
4. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Boy Who Wears Cool Clothes.
(b) Boy Who Draws Like Crazy.
(c) Boy of the Many Crayons.
(d) Master of Kickball.
5. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Helen Keller's Life.
(b) The Hundred Dresses.
(c) The Bat-Poet.
(d) Greek Myths.
6. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
(b) Girl of Many Questions.
(c) Girl with Fast Feet.
(d) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
7. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
(a) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(b) Madame Esme.
(c) Ms. Esme.
(d) Mrs. Esme.
8. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
(a) Holds a brainstorming session in which kids think of fantastic inventions.
(b) Has the kids invent their own "better mouse trap."
(c) Helps her students create a simplified cotton gin.
(d) Dresses up in a wild outfit full of accessories that have inventor stories behind them.
9. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(b) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(c) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(d) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
10. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(b) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(c) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
(d) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
11. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
(a) How to Fold a Paper Snowflake.
(b) How to Teach Impossible Students.
(c) How to Tame a Tiger.
(d) How to Draw an Invisible Dragon.
12. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
(a) It's a Hairy Merry Christmas.
(b) A Cajun Christmas.
(c) California Christmas.
(d) Ye Olde London Christmas.
13. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) To help the kids demonstrate their backpack burglar alarm invention.
(b) To introduce her children to an erupting baking soda volcano.
(c) Because her students' standardized test scores in science were well below average.
(d) To attend a lecture on physics in the real world.
14. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(a) Billy Williams.
15. Who ultimately says "No" to Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Miss Clark.
(b) Mr. Turner.
(c) Ismene Siteles.
(d) Ms. Coil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
2. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
3. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
4. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
5. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)