|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
(c) Reading comprehension.
(d) Mastery of the yo-yo.
2. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
(a) B. B.
3. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(a) Billy Williams.
4. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(b) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
(c) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(d) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
5. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
(a) How to Fold a Paper Snowflake.
(b) How to Teach Impossible Students.
(c) How to Draw an Invisible Dragon.
(d) How to Tame a Tiger.
6. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(b) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(c) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(d) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
7. What is Codell's impression of the scary story contest she holds for Halloween?
(a) She is uncomfortable with the level of gore several students use.
(b) She is frustrated that most students haven't improved their writing skills.
(c) She is disappointed that only a few students volunteer stories for the contest.
(d) She is amazed at Vanessa's story, and how effectively scary it is.
8. What does the first student to use the "time machine" report about his or her experience?
(a) The student complains that the time machine is not real.
(b) The student tells about a medieval joust they "witnessed."
(c) The student claims to have gone back to the Jurassic period to observe dinosaurs.
(d) The student tells about meeting Wyatt Earp and helping to rid Dodge City of criminals.
9. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
(a) She joins the Slick Boys on stage and impresses with her dance moves.
(b) She feels the scantily-clad dancers are inappropriate for children, and she stops the assembly.
(c) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she says "No" to marijuana.
(d) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she plays a drug dealer.
10. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
(a) A Cajun Christmas.
(b) California Christmas.
(c) It's a Hairy Merry Christmas.
(d) Ye Olde London Christmas.
11. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
(a) The winner is Hispanic, and Mr. Turner believes that, since Addy is black, a black person should win.
(b) Mr. Turner believes the winner cheated in order to win the raffle.
(c) The winner is a boy, and Mr. Turner doesn't believe boys should play with dolls.
(d) Mr. Turner does not believe the doll is appropriate in a school setting.
12. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
(a) Mr. Turner.
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(d) Ms. Coil.
13. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
(a) Miss Clark is much too harsh, considering her urban students less than human.
(b) Miss Clark cares more about her boyfriend than about teaching, and she is lazy.
(c) Miss Clark spoils her children and desperately wants to be liked.
(d) Miss Clark is hopelessly disorganized, and never has a solid lesson plan in place.
14. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
(a) There is not one man among the new teachers.
(b) Codell is one of the few white women among the new teachers.
(c) Unlike Codell, most of the teachers are older veterans pulled from surrounding districts.
(d) There is a disproportionate amount of white, slender women in their twenties.
15. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
(a) "No. I never found the right man who could understand my passion for teaching."
(b) "No. My husband died several years ago in a car accident."
(c) "No. I have enough children to take care of without a husband."
(d) "Yes. The only thing that makes me happier than my students is my own children."
Short Answer Questions
1. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
2. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
3. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
4. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
5. What is stolen from Codell's classroom on October 5?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)