|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Codell take her students on January 20?
(a) The university science fair.
(b) The history museum.
(c) Sulzer Regional Library.
(d) Immmediately outside the school, to examine different types of trees.
2. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
(a) Codell is unable to get the girls to stop arguing after the physical fight is over.
(b) It is after school, and Codell is not compensated for her time.
(c) No other teachers stepped in to help Codell.
(d) In her attempt to stop the fight, she inadvertently injured one of the girls with her elbow.
3. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
(b) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
(c) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
(d) The festival is too ambitious.
4. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) An old armoire.
(b) Heavy curtains.
(c) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
(d) A large plastic tarp.
5. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(d) Billy Williams.
6. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(b) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(c) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(d) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
7. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(b) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
(c) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(d) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
8. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(b) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
(c) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
(d) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
9. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
(a) Committee for Extracurricular Activities.
(b) The Friends of the School Library Committee.
(c) The Fairy Tale Team.
(d) Association of Public Librarians.
10. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
(a) Mr. Turner.
(b) Ms. Coil.
(c) Ismene Siteles.
11. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
(b) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
(c) Outdoor sports.
(d) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
12. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
(a) On the second day.
(b) After one month.
(c) She is never allowed to teach, but only observe.
(d) On the first day.
13. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
(b) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
(c) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(d) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
14. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
(b) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
(c) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(d) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
15. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) The Hundred Dresses.
(b) Helen Keller's Life.
(c) The Bat-Poet.
(d) Greek Myths.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
2. Which student becomes teacher for a day, swapping places with Codell?
3. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
4. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
5. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)