|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
(a) Her roller skates.
(b) The Thinking Cap.
(c) The Happy Box.
(d) The Time Machine.
2. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
(b) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
(c) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
(d) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
3. Who does Codell make her "time machine" out of?
(a) A large plastic tarp.
(b) Heavy curtains.
(c) An old armoire.
(d) A refrigerator box covered in aluminum foil.
4. What does Codell call the subject of Science?
(a) Natural Wonders.
(b) Dr. Weird's Wonderful World.
(d) Mad Scientist Time.
5. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
(a) She struggles with a severe lisp.
(b) She has extreme stage fright, and is too nervous to speak her lines.
(c) She consistently mispronounces a word in the announcement.
(d) The announcement is too long, and she cannot memorize it.
6. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) The students manage to finish a lengthy "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" sing-a-long.
(b) Codell must break up a fight between two female students.
(c) The bus suffers a flat tire, and the students miss the fair.
(d) The bus is attacked by gang members, who throw rocks at the windows.
7. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
(a) They support him and threaten to beat up anyone who does not.
(b) Several classmates loudly ridicule Ashworth, and Codell must shout them down.
(c) Many girls in the class are sickened at the sight.
(d) They are silent, and most do not talk to Ashworth afterward.
8. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(a) Billy Williams.
9. What is Codell's general attitude toward Ms. Federman?
(a) She respects her persistence in teaching for so long.
(b) Codell is angry with Ms. Federman, because she promises to help Codell but never does.
(c) She thinks Ms. Federman is a dinosaur from a long-gone era.
(d) She cannot agree with almost all of Ms. Federman's radical teaching methods.
10. What is Codell's true intention in using the time machine?
(a) The time machine provides a "time out" for misbehaving students.
(b) She feels that reading is a kind of time travel.
(c) Doing work alone in the time machine will make the day seem to go faster for bored students.
(d) By thinking about different years and traveling through time, students will learn math concepts.
11. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
(a) The teachers applaud Codell and reward her with a Teacher of the Month award.
(b) The teachers believe Codell has done an average job, and are indifferent.
(c) Many emulate Codell's colorful bulletin boards.
(d) Most think Codell has done too much, creating an overstimulating environment.
12. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
(b) Jingle Bell Rock.
(c) White Christmas.
(d) Silver Bells.
13. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(b) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(c) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
(d) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
14. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
(a) They have a guest speaker come to share Native American artifacts.
(b) They perform a rain dance.
(c) They visit the zoo to see an American buffalo.
(d) They dress up in authentically-researched Native American clothing.
15. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
(a) "No. I have enough children to take care of without a husband."
(b) "No. I never found the right man who could understand my passion for teaching."
(c) "No. My husband died several years ago in a car accident."
(d) "Yes. The only thing that makes me happier than my students is my own children."
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
2. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
3. What about Mr. Turner's phone call habits irks Codell in the first few entries of the book?
4. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
5. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)