|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
(a) The student hides in the bathroom, not wanting to participate.
(b) The student eagerly waits at the front door, clipboard in hand.
(c) The student stabs Codell with a pencil.
(d) The student tries to attack another student making fun of him or her.
2. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
(a) The Thinking Cap.
(b) The Time Machine.
(c) Her roller skates.
(d) The Happy Box.
3. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
(a) Has the kids invent their own "better mouse trap."
(b) Dresses up in a wild outfit full of accessories that have inventor stories behind them.
(c) Helps her students create a simplified cotton gin.
(d) Holds a brainstorming session in which kids think of fantastic inventions.
4. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
(a) She chooses a well-respected history book on the subject to read aloud with the class.
(b) She compares Nazis to Ku Klux Klan members, giving the children a group they are more familiar with.
(c) She decides to skip the teaching of Nazis; her class is simply too young.
(d) She chooses to show a brief film clip of Hitler delivering a speech.
5. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
(a) She knew Mr. Turner would not appreciate the articles.
(b) She thought Mr. Turner would write her up for an unauthorized newsletter.
(c) She meant to provide him one, but she must have placed it in the wrong mail box.
(d) She put two newsletters in Ms. Coil's box, and assumed Ms. Coil would give Mr. Turner the extra one.
6. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) To attend a lecture on physics in the real world.
(b) To help the kids demonstrate their backpack burglar alarm invention.
(c) Because her students' standardized test scores in science were well below average.
(d) To introduce her children to an erupting baking soda volcano.
7. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
(b) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
(c) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
(d) The festival is too ambitious.
8. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(b) Billy Williams.
9. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
(a) Billy Williams.
(b) The students never reveal who it is.
10. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
(a) 1990s-style new jack swing.
(b) 1950s-style doo-wop.
11. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
(b) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(c) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
(d) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
12. Why does Codell take her students outside for a field trip on January 7th?
(a) The trip is a chance to examine trees and decide what kind of trees they are.
(b) There is snow on the ground, and the trip is a chance to teach about precipitation.
(c) She has the students build an elaborate snowman to encourage teamwork.
(d) Codell feels that the students have been cooped up too long, and they will find the outdoors refreshing.
13. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
(a) Madame Esme.
(b) Mrs. Esme.
(c) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(d) Ms. Esme.
14. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(b) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(c) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
(d) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
15. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
(a) A whorehouse.
(b) A filthy mess.
(c) A palace of learning.
(d) A den of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Codell insists Mr. Turner refer to her by what title?
2. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
3. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
4. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
5. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)