|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
2. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
(b) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(c) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(d) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
3. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(a) Miss Clark.
(c) Ms. Coil.
(d) Ms. Federman.
4. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Hair that Flows like Water.
(b) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
(c) Madame of Mathematics.
(d) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
5. Why does Codell take her students outside for a field trip on January 7th?
(a) Codell feels that the students have been cooped up too long, and they will find the outdoors refreshing.
(b) The trip is a chance to examine trees and decide what kind of trees they are.
(c) She has the students build an elaborate snowman to encourage teamwork.
(d) There is snow on the ground, and the trip is a chance to teach about precipitation.
6. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
(b) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
(c) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
(d) Outdoor sports.
7. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(b) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
(c) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
(d) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
8. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
(b) Mr. Turner.
(c) Ms. Federman.
9. According to a November 10th entry, what did Codell's landlord call her father's apartment?
(a) A whorehouse.
(b) A den of sin.
(c) A palace of learning.
(d) A filthy mess.
10. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
(b) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
(c) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(d) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
11. Which student becomes teacher for a day, swapping places with Codell?
(a) Billy Williams.
12. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
(a) Giddy at the prospect of another day on the job.
(b) Confused, because he has lost his way in the school's basement.
(c) Depressed from a recent death at the school.
(d) Cranky and vindictive.
13. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
(a) Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
(b) Kermit the Frog.
(c) The Incredible Hulk.
(d) King Kong.
14. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Greek Myths.
(b) The Hundred Dresses.
(c) The Bat-Poet.
(d) Helen Keller's Life.
15. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
(a) The service is conducted in a foreign language, and the behavior of those in attendance makes Codell nervous.
(b) Codell feels the eulogies given at the service are inadequate.
(c) The service is small, and Codell believes Ismene deserved a much larger service.
(d) It is raining hard, which Codell considers a bad omen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
2. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
3. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
4. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
5. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)