|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Codell take Ms. Coil's suggestion that she should place student papers on her wall higher up?
(a) Codell believes the papers should be hung at the children's eye-level, so they can enjoy them.
(b) Placing them higher would mean disassembling and reassembling the entire board.
(c) Placing them too high would be a distraction during class.
(d) Codell simply wants to spite Ms. Coil and annoy her.
2. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) Outdoor sports.
(b) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
(c) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
(d) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
3. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
(a) The Black Hole.
(b) The Well of Worries.
(c) Trouble Basket.
(d) The Little Brown Jug.
4. What does Codell call the subject of Math?
(b) The Mystery of Symbols.
(c) Numbers Galore.
(d) Number Crunching 3000.
5. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
(a) Mrs. Raji Codell.
(b) Mrs. Esme.
(c) Ms. Esme.
(d) Madame Esme.
6. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
(a) Lois Lowry.
(b) Janusz Korczak.
(c) Connie Porter.
(d) Randall Jareel.
7. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly white.
(b) About half and half, black and white.
(c) Mostly hispanic.
(d) Mostly black.
8. What is Codell's impression of the scary story contest she holds for Halloween?
(a) She is amazed at Vanessa's story, and how effectively scary it is.
(b) She is disappointed that only a few students volunteer stories for the contest.
(c) She is uncomfortable with the level of gore several students use.
(d) She is frustrated that most students haven't improved their writing skills.
9. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
(a) How to Fold a Paper Snowflake.
(b) How to Draw an Invisible Dragon.
(c) How to Teach Impossible Students.
(d) How to Tame a Tiger.
10. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
(a) The teachers applaud Codell and reward her with a Teacher of the Month award.
(b) The teachers believe Codell has done an average job, and are indifferent.
(c) Most think Codell has done too much, creating an overstimulating environment.
(d) Many emulate Codell's colorful bulletin boards.
11. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
(a) Has the kids invent their own "better mouse trap."
(b) Dresses up in a wild outfit full of accessories that have inventor stories behind them.
(c) Holds a brainstorming session in which kids think of fantastic inventions.
(d) Helps her students create a simplified cotton gin.
12. Which is NOT one of the activities Codell proposes for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Rescue the Princess from the Tower.
(b) Three Billy Goats Gruff Toss.
(c) Fairy Tale Fashion Show.
(d) Ugly Duckling Match.
13. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
(a) She consistently mispronounces a word in the announcement.
(b) She has extreme stage fright, and is too nervous to speak her lines.
(c) The announcement is too long, and she cannot memorize it.
(d) She struggles with a severe lisp.
14. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
(b) Ms. Esme.
(c) Mrs. Cordell.
(d) Miss Codell.
15. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(b) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(c) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(d) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
2. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
3. What about Mr. Turner's phone call habits irks Codell in the first few entries of the book?
4. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
5. Why does Codell take her students outside for a field trip on January 7th?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)