|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Mrs. Cordell.
(b) Ms. Esme.
(c) Miss Codell.
(d) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
2. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
(a) Take him to the principal's office immediately!
(b) Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do!
(c) Faint dead away!
(d) Wash his mouth out with soap!
3. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
(b) B. B.
4. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
5. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) Jingle Bell Rock.
(b) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
(c) Silver Bells.
(d) White Christmas.
6. How does Ms. Coil criticize Codell's teaching of Native Americans.
(a) Ms. Coil believes having a "powwow" stereotypes Native American culture.
(b) Ms. Coil believes fifth-graders are too old to dress up in Native American costumes.
(c) Ms. Coil is angry for not being informed about a field trip to the Native American History Museum.
(d) Codell only teaches about one tribe, and Ms. Coil prefers a broader approach.
7. What container does Codell create to allow students to symbolically rid themselves of worries?
(a) The Little Brown Jug.
(b) The Black Hole.
(c) Trouble Basket.
(d) The Well of Worries.
8. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
(a) Codell is unable to get the girls to stop arguing after the physical fight is over.
(b) No other teachers stepped in to help Codell.
(c) In her attempt to stop the fight, she inadvertently injured one of the girls with her elbow.
(d) It is after school, and Codell is not compensated for her time.
9. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
(a) Her roller skates.
(b) The Time Machine.
(c) The Thinking Cap.
(d) The Happy Box.
10. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(b) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(c) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(d) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
11. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
(a) Codell feels the eulogies given at the service are inadequate.
(b) The service is small, and Codell believes Ismene deserved a much larger service.
(c) The service is conducted in a foreign language, and the behavior of those in attendance makes Codell nervous.
(d) It is raining hard, which Codell considers a bad omen.
12. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(b) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
(c) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
(d) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
13. How many new teachers are introduced prior to the school's opening in Part I?
14. What does the first student to use the "time machine" report about his or her experience?
(a) The student complains that the time machine is not real.
(b) The student tells about meeting Wyatt Earp and helping to rid Dodge City of criminals.
(c) The student claims to have gone back to the Jurassic period to observe dinosaurs.
(d) The student tells about a medieval joust they "witnessed."
15. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
(a) She chooses to show a brief film clip of Hitler delivering a speech.
(b) She compares Nazis to Ku Klux Klan members, giving the children a group they are more familiar with.
(c) She chooses a well-respected history book on the subject to read aloud with the class.
(d) She decides to skip the teaching of Nazis; her class is simply too young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
2. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
3. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
4. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
5. What is Codell's true intention in using the time machine?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)