|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Administrators cannot agree on the day to have the festival.
(b) The festival is too ambitious.
(c) The subject matter is inappropriate in a school setting.
(d) Many of Codell's proposals pose a danger to safety.
2. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
(a) Cranky and vindictive.
(b) Giddy at the prospect of another day on the job.
(c) Depressed from a recent death at the school.
(d) Confused, because he has lost his way in the school's basement.
3. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
(a) She is never allowed to teach, but only observe.
(b) After one month.
(c) On the second day.
(d) On the first day.
4. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Madame of Mathematics.
(b) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
(c) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
(d) Hair that Flows like Water.
5. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(b) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
(c) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(d) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
6. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
(a) Miss Clark cares more about her boyfriend than about teaching, and she is lazy.
(b) Miss Clark spoils her children and desperately wants to be liked.
(c) Miss Clark is hopelessly disorganized, and never has a solid lesson plan in place.
(d) Miss Clark is much too harsh, considering her urban students less than human.
7. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
(a) Esme Codell.
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(c) Mr. Turner.
8. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Master of Kickball.
(b) Boy of the Many Crayons.
(c) Boy Who Wears Cool Clothes.
(d) Boy Who Draws Like Crazy.
9. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
(b) Girl of Many Questions.
(c) Girl with Fast Feet.
(d) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
10. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(b) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(c) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
(d) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
11. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
(b) Ms. Esme.
(c) Miss Codell.
(d) Mrs. Cordell.
12. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
(a) Mr. Turner believes the winner cheated in order to win the raffle.
(b) Mr. Turner does not believe the doll is appropriate in a school setting.
(c) The winner is Hispanic, and Mr. Turner believes that, since Addy is black, a black person should win.
(d) The winner is a boy, and Mr. Turner doesn't believe boys should play with dolls.
13. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Helen Keller's Life.
(b) Greek Myths.
(c) The Hundred Dresses.
(d) The Bat-Poet.
14. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
(a) Mr. Turner.
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(d) Ms. Coil.
15. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) Codell must break up a fight between two female students.
(b) The bus suffers a flat tire, and the students miss the fair.
(c) The students manage to finish a lengthy "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" sing-a-long.
(d) The bus is attacked by gang members, who throw rocks at the windows.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
2. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
3. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
4. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
5. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)