|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many new teachers are introduced prior to the school's opening in Part I?
2. What about Mr. Turner's phone call habits irks Codell in the first few entries of the book?
(a) He yells into the receiver.
(b) He frequently hangs up, only to call again soon after.
(c) He calls very late, sometimes as late as 11:30 PM.
(d) He speaks for very long periods on the phone.
3. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
(b) Billy Williams.
4. Why doesn't Codell take Ms. Coil's suggestion that she should place student papers on her wall higher up?
(a) Placing them too high would be a distraction during class.
(b) Codell believes the papers should be hung at the children's eye-level, so they can enjoy them.
(c) Placing them higher would mean disassembling and reassembling the entire board.
(d) Codell simply wants to spite Ms. Coil and annoy her.
5. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
(a) They have a guest speaker come to share Native American artifacts.
(b) They perform a rain dance.
(c) They visit the zoo to see an American buffalo.
(d) They dress up in authentically-researched Native American clothing.
6. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
7. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(a) The Miracle Worker.
(b) Citizen Kane.
(d) The Bishop's Wife.
8. At the end of the day in which Codell makes a student teacher for the day, what does Codell have her children do?
(a) Students write a composition about their experience and what they learned that day.
(b) Codell encourages the children to do a similar switch with their parents at home.
(c) Codell has the last part of class outdoors, to reward the children for their excellent behavior.
(d) Codell assigns them double homework, because they were so unruly throughout the day.
9. Who ultimately says "No" to Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
(a) Miss Clark.
(b) Ms. Coil.
(c) Mr. Turner.
(d) Ismene Siteles.
10. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
11. Which student must be stopped from casting voodoo spells on students in class?
(a) B. B.
12. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly hispanic.
(b) About half and half, black and white.
(c) Mostly white.
(d) Mostly black.
13. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
(a) The student tries to attack another student making fun of him or her.
(b) The student stabs Codell with a pencil.
(c) The student eagerly waits at the front door, clipboard in hand.
(d) The student hides in the bathroom, not wanting to participate.
14. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Greek Myths.
(b) Helen Keller's Life.
(c) The Bat-Poet.
(d) The Hundred Dresses.
15. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
(a) The students never reveal who it is.
(b) Billy Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
2. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
3. What is Codell's true intention in using the time machine?
4. Which is NOT one of the activities Codell proposes for the Fairy Tale Festival?
5. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)