|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
(b) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
(c) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
(d) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
2. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
3. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Madame of Mathematics.
(b) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
(c) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
(d) Hair that Flows like Water.
4. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(b) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(c) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
(d) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
5. What does the first student to use the "time machine" report about his or her experience?
(a) The student tells about a medieval joust they "witnessed."
(b) The student complains that the time machine is not real.
(c) The student tells about meeting Wyatt Earp and helping to rid Dodge City of criminals.
(d) The student claims to have gone back to the Jurassic period to observe dinosaurs.
6. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
(a) "No. I have enough children to take care of without a husband."
(b) "No. My husband died several years ago in a car accident."
(c) "No. I never found the right man who could understand my passion for teaching."
(d) "Yes. The only thing that makes me happier than my students is my own children."
7. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
(a) Mr. Turner is rude to potential donors.
(b) Most of the businesses approached are poor, small, and highly unlikely donors.
(c) They are working off of an incorrect list of potential donors.
(d) They mistakenly try to approach businesses on a holiday when most are closed.
8. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
(a) She joins the Slick Boys on stage and impresses with her dance moves.
(b) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she says "No" to marijuana.
(c) She feels the scantily-clad dancers are inappropriate for children, and she stops the assembly.
(d) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she plays a drug dealer.
9. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl of Many Questions.
(b) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
(c) Girl with Fast Feet.
(d) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
10. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
(a) Association of Public Librarians.
(b) The Fairy Tale Team.
(c) The Friends of the School Library Committee.
(d) Committee for Extracurricular Activities.
11. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(b) Billy Williams.
12. Why does Codell fear that student B. B. will be chosen as the first student to use the time machine?
(a) B. B. is afraid of the dark, and using the time machine involves being in the dark.
(b) B. B. is described as a "terrible realist" who may not buy into the fantasy she's trying to create.
(c) B. B. is described as a "hopeless daydreamer," and B. B. may refuse to leave the machine once inside.
(d) B. B. is known for violence, and may destroy the time machine.
13. How does Melanie react to the birthday party Codell throws for her on January 8th?
(a) She is angry at Codell for "trying to replace my mom."
(b) She is moved and quiet, thanking Codell for her thoughtfulness.
(c) She cries, and claims she does not deserve such attention.
(d) She is joyous, laughing and singing along with the birthday song.
14. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(a) Paper airplanes.
(b) Monster movies.
(c) The Holocaust.
15. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(b) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(c) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
(d) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
Short Answer Questions
1. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
2. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
3. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
4. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
5. What problem does Vanessa have in announcing the class' Christmas show?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)