|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(a) The Miracle Worker.
(c) Citizen Kane.
(d) The Bishop's Wife.
2. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
(a) She joins the Slick Boys on stage and impresses with her dance moves.
(b) She feels the scantily-clad dancers are inappropriate for children, and she stops the assembly.
(c) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she plays a drug dealer.
(d) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she says "No" to marijuana.
3. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
(a) Codell know about the nature of their profession and is disgusted by them.
(b) Codell admires them for their bold, colorful clothing choices.
(c) They constantly curse at Codell, and she avoids them whenever possible.
(d) Codell is tricked by her father into believing they are movie stars.
4. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
(a) Codell is unable to get the girls to stop arguing after the physical fight is over.
(b) In her attempt to stop the fight, she inadvertently injured one of the girls with her elbow.
(c) No other teachers stepped in to help Codell.
(d) It is after school, and Codell is not compensated for her time.
5. What does Codell find is particularly effective when it comes to teaching about Nazism?
(a) She decides to skip the teaching of Nazis; her class is simply too young.
(b) She chooses a well-respected history book on the subject to read aloud with the class.
(c) She compares Nazis to Ku Klux Klan members, giving the children a group they are more familiar with.
(d) She chooses to show a brief film clip of Hitler delivering a speech.
6. What is Ismene's response when Codell asks her if she is married?
(a) "No. I never found the right man who could understand my passion for teaching."
(b) "No. I have enough children to take care of without a husband."
(c) "Yes. The only thing that makes me happier than my students is my own children."
(d) "No. My husband died several years ago in a car accident."
7. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(b) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
(c) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(d) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
8. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
(a) She meant to provide him one, but she must have placed it in the wrong mail box.
(b) She thought Mr. Turner would write her up for an unauthorized newsletter.
(c) She knew Mr. Turner would not appreciate the articles.
(d) She put two newsletters in Ms. Coil's box, and assumed Ms. Coil would give Mr. Turner the extra one.
9. What is the name of the mentor who inspired Codell to do her best as a teacher?
(a) Mr. Turner.
(b) Ismene Siteles.
(d) Ms. Coil.
10. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
(b) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(c) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
(d) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
11. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
(a) Committee for Extracurricular Activities.
(b) Association of Public Librarians.
(c) The Fairy Tale Team.
(d) The Friends of the School Library Committee.
12. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(b) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(c) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
(d) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
13. What is Codell's true intention in using the time machine?
(a) By thinking about different years and traveling through time, students will learn math concepts.
(b) The time machine provides a "time out" for misbehaving students.
(c) Doing work alone in the time machine will make the day seem to go faster for bored students.
(d) She feels that reading is a kind of time travel.
14. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(a) Paper airplanes.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) Monster movies.
15. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
(a) Wash his mouth out with soap!
(b) Take him to the principal's office immediately!
(c) Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do!
(d) Faint dead away!
Short Answer Questions
1. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
2. What does Codell use the Thinking Cap for?
3. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
4. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
5. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)