|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
(a) Janusz Korczak.
(b) Randall Jareel.
(c) Connie Porter.
(d) Lois Lowry.
2. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
(a) She does not like the "new construction" smell, preferring the unique smell of a school classroom.
(b) She wishes the classroom was on the second story for safety reasons.
(c) She is glad her classroom is so far away from Mr. Turner's office.
(d) The classroom will be much too small for her expected number of students.
3. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
(a) The student stabs Codell with a pencil.
(b) The student hides in the bathroom, not wanting to participate.
(c) The student tries to attack another student making fun of him or her.
(d) The student eagerly waits at the front door, clipboard in hand.
4. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
(a) Ye Olde London Christmas.
(b) A Cajun Christmas.
(c) It's a Hairy Merry Christmas.
(d) California Christmas.
5. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Master of Kickball.
(b) Boy of the Many Crayons.
(c) Boy Who Draws Like Crazy.
(d) Boy Who Wears Cool Clothes.
6. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
(b) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
(c) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
(d) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
7. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) To help the kids demonstrate their backpack burglar alarm invention.
(b) To attend a lecture on physics in the real world.
(c) To introduce her children to an erupting baking soda volcano.
(d) Because her students' standardized test scores in science were well below average.
8. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) The bus suffers a flat tire, and the students miss the fair.
(b) The students manage to finish a lengthy "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" sing-a-long.
(c) Codell must break up a fight between two female students.
(d) The bus is attacked by gang members, who throw rocks at the windows.
9. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
(b) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(c) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
(d) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
10. Why does Codell fear that student B. B. will be chosen as the first student to use the time machine?
(a) B. B. is known for violence, and may destroy the time machine.
(b) B. B. is afraid of the dark, and using the time machine involves being in the dark.
(c) B. B. is described as a "terrible realist" who may not buy into the fantasy she's trying to create.
(d) B. B. is described as a "hopeless daydreamer," and B. B. may refuse to leave the machine once inside.
11. How does Codell eventually ensure her students do not steal books that they borrow?
(a) She collects $10 from students for each book they borrow, as collateral.
(b) She informs a child's parent when the child borrows a book.
(c) She develops an ID card system similar to a public library.
(d) She makes students leave one of their shoes to ensure they return books.
12. What does Codell call the subject of Science?
(a) Mad Scientist Time.
(b) Natural Wonders.
(d) Dr. Weird's Wonderful World.
13. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
(b) Billy Williams.
14. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly white.
(b) About half and half, black and white.
(c) Mostly hispanic.
(d) Mostly black.
15. On December 14th, older children steal which of Codell's classroom accessories?
(a) The Thinking Cap.
(b) The Time Machine.
(c) The Happy Box.
(d) Her roller skates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
2. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
3. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
4. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
5. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)