|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ms. Coil, how do teachers (besides Codell) react to her suggestions to improve the design of their classrooms?
(a) Teachers tell Ms. Coil, in different words, to get lost.
(b) Teachers usually tell Ms.Coil they are too busy to see her, in an effort to ignore her.
(c) Teachers agree with the vast majority of suggestions Ms. Coil makes.
(d) Teachers usually make the suggested changes without any resistance.
2. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
(b) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
(c) Hair that Flows like Water.
(d) Madame of Mathematics.
3. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(b) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
(c) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
(d) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
4. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
(a) Greek Myths.
(b) The Bat-Poet.
(c) The Hundred Dresses.
(d) Helen Keller's Life.
5. What gift does Codell buy for Melanie for her birthday?
(a) A backpack.
(b) A child-sized purse.
(c) A pack of lip glosses in various flavors.
(d) A Webster's Dictionary.
6. According to a November 2nd entry, what does Codell do to help teach about inventors?
(a) Dresses up in a wild outfit full of accessories that have inventor stories behind them.
(b) Helps her students create a simplified cotton gin.
(c) Holds a brainstorming session in which kids think of fantastic inventions.
(d) Has the kids invent their own "better mouse trap."
7. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
(b) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
(c) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
(d) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
8. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
9. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
(a) The student stabs Codell with a pencil.
(b) The student eagerly waits at the front door, clipboard in hand.
(c) The student tries to attack another student making fun of him or her.
(d) The student hides in the bathroom, not wanting to participate.
10. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(a) Miss Clark.
(c) Ms. Federman.
(d) Ms. Coil.
11. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
(a) After one month.
(b) On the second day.
(c) She is never allowed to teach, but only observe.
(d) On the first day.
12. What poem, dedicated to Brandi, does Codell make her October 19th entry?
(a) How to Tame a Tiger.
(b) How to Draw an Invisible Dragon.
(c) How to Teach Impossible Students.
(d) How to Fold a Paper Snowflake.
13. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
14. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
(a) The teachers applaud Codell and reward her with a Teacher of the Month award.
(b) Many emulate Codell's colorful bulletin boards.
(c) The teachers believe Codell has done an average job, and are indifferent.
(d) Most think Codell has done too much, creating an overstimulating environment.
15. What does Codell tell Mr. Turner about why he did not receive her classroom's inaugural newsletter?
(a) She put two newsletters in Ms. Coil's box, and assumed Ms. Coil would give Mr. Turner the extra one.
(b) She knew Mr. Turner would not appreciate the articles.
(c) She meant to provide him one, but she must have placed it in the wrong mail box.
(d) She thought Mr. Turner would write her up for an unauthorized newsletter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
2. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
3. What is the name of Codell's immediate supervisor at her work in Part I?
4. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
5. Who is the first student to use the "time machine"?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)