|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an activity Codell describes her class doing for Halloween?
(a) Dressing up as ghosts and playing a prank on a second-grade class.
(b) Reading The Bat-Poet and studying bats.
(c) Dramatizing the book Old Devil Wind for a kindergarten class.
(d) Holding a mummy-wrapping race.
2. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
(a) The student hides in the bathroom, not wanting to participate.
(b) The student stabs Codell with a pencil.
(c) The student tries to attack another student making fun of him or her.
(d) The student eagerly waits at the front door, clipboard in hand.
3. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(b) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(c) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
(d) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
4. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Girl of Frequent Bathroom Breaks.
(b) Girl of Many Questions.
(c) Girl with Fast Feet.
(d) Girl with the Voice of Thunder.
5. What subject does the student Codell makes teacher for a day choose to make a lesson from?
(a) Monster movies.
(b) The Holocaust.
(c) Paper airplanes.
6. Who is the author of the book King Matt the First, which is chosen by Codell for read-aloud time?
(a) Lois Lowry.
(b) Connie Porter.
(c) Randall Jareel.
(d) Janusz Korczak.
7. Where does Codell take her students on January 20?
(a) Immmediately outside the school, to examine different types of trees.
(b) The university science fair.
(c) Sulzer Regional Library.
(d) The history museum.
8. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
(b) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
(c) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
(d) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
9. Shira undergoes a change on December 13 when she begins dancing to which Christmas song?
(a) Jingle Bell Rock.
(b) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
(c) Silver Bells.
(d) White Christmas.
10. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
11. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
(b) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(c) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(d) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
12. What does Mr. Turner initially call Codell, which frustrates her?
(a) Ms. Esme.
(b) Mrs. Cordell.
(c) Miss Codell.
(d) Ms. Esme Raji Codell.
13. In the first entry of the book, how does Codell respond when asked what she would do if a student uttered a curse word in her classroom?
(a) Faint dead away!
(b) Take him to the principal's office immediately!
(c) Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do!
(d) Wash his mouth out with soap!
14. Why doesn't Codell take Ms. Coil's suggestion that she should place student papers on her wall higher up?
(a) Codell believes the papers should be hung at the children's eye-level, so they can enjoy them.
(b) Codell simply wants to spite Ms. Coil and annoy her.
(c) Placing them higher would mean disassembling and reassembling the entire board.
(d) Placing them too high would be a distraction during class.
15. What does Codell call the subject of Math?
(a) Numbers Galore.
(c) Number Crunching 3000.
(d) The Mystery of Symbols.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
2. What does Codell use the Thinking Cap for?
3. Why does Mr. Turner object to the winner of the Addy doll during the November 5th assembly?
4. What name does Codell choose for her students to call her?
5. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)