|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs on the bus ride to the university science fair on October 13?
(a) The bus suffers a flat tire, and the students miss the fair.
(b) Codell must break up a fight between two female students.
(c) The bus is attacked by gang members, who throw rocks at the windows.
(d) The students manage to finish a lengthy "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" sing-a-long.
2. How does Codell respond to Billy Williams when the boy claims that he hates her?
(a) "Every time you say you hate me, I'm going to give you an extra homework problem."
(b) "I'm not crazy about you either, kid, but we have to find a way to stand one another."
(c) "Every time you say that, you hurt my heart and make me sad."
(d) "No matter how you feel about me, I will always love you."
3. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
(a) 1950s-style doo-wop.
(d) 1990s-style new jack swing.
4. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
(c) Mastery of the yo-yo.
(d) Reading comprehension.
5. Which student actually stabbed the substitute teacher in the back with a pencil?
(b) The students never reveal who it is.
(c) Billy Williams.
6. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly black.
(b) About half and half, black and white.
(c) Mostly white.
(d) Mostly hispanic.
7. Who provides Codell with an explanation as to why her substitute got stabbed in the back with a pencil?
(d) Billy Williams.
8. Why is Codell angry after she breaks up a fight between two girls on December 8th?
(a) No other teachers stepped in to help Codell.
(b) Codell is unable to get the girls to stop arguing after the physical fight is over.
(c) In her attempt to stop the fight, she inadvertently injured one of the girls with her elbow.
(d) It is after school, and Codell is not compensated for her time.
9. How long into Codell's teacher observation time is she allowed to teach?
(a) On the first day.
(b) After one month.
(c) She is never allowed to teach, but only observe.
(d) On the second day.
10. What is JoEllen's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Madame of Mathematics.
(b) Girl with the Beautiful Lip Gloss.
(c) Hair that Flows like Water.
(d) Girl Who Always Gets A's.
11. What is Codell's opinion of teaching about Anne Frank and concentration camps?
(a) She decides to skip that part of the curriculum entirely; her class is just too young.
(b) She believes strongly in revealing the truth, sparing no unpleasant details.
(c) She is outraged about the subject's inclusion into the curriculum, and she files a complaint with the State Board.
(d) She feels her children should be spared most of the details, but still learn the material.
12. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
(a) Most think Codell has done too much, creating an overstimulating environment.
(b) The teachers applaud Codell and reward her with a Teacher of the Month award.
(c) The teachers believe Codell has done an average job, and are indifferent.
(d) Many emulate Codell's colorful bulletin boards.
13. Whose mother complains about Codell insisting on buying dictionaries for the children?
14. Who persuades Codell to remain a teacher after she is ready to quit on February 15th?
(a) Ms. Federman.
(b) Ms. Coil.
(d) Miss Clark.
15. What pop culture figure does Codell use for her "best papers" bulletin board?
(a) The Incredible Hulk.
(b) Kermit the Frog.
(c) Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
(d) King Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
2. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
3. Why do school administrators reject Codell's proposal for the Fairy Tale Festival?
4. Part I begins with a letter to potential fifth-graders written by whom?
5. What was Codell's impression of prostitutes on her block as a young child?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)