|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ozzie's Native American name, as given to her in a naming ceremony?
(a) Boy of the Many Crayons.
(b) Boy Who Wears Cool Clothes.
(c) Master of Kickball.
(d) Boy Who Draws Like Crazy.
2. Once a week, Codell tutors Ruben in what subject?
(b) Reading comprehension.
(d) Mastery of the yo-yo.
3. Which is NOT one of the ways in which Codell's class learns about Native Americans?
(a) They have a guest speaker come to share Native American artifacts.
(b) They visit the zoo to see an American buffalo.
(c) They dress up in authentically-researched Native American clothing.
(d) They perform a rain dance.
4. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
(a) The Fairy Tale Team.
(b) Committee for Extracurricular Activities.
(c) The Friends of the School Library Committee.
(d) Association of Public Librarians.
5. On the first day of school, how does Codell determine where the students will sit?
(a) Students can choose their own seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
(b) Students take turns picking numbered apples from a bulletin board.
(c) Codell has the students choose numbered seating assignments from a hat.
(d) Students are seated in a large circle so everyone is equal.
6. What film, the first classic film Codell shows, is shown in October 15?
(a) The Bishop's Wife.
(b) Citizen Kane.
(c) The Miracle Worker.
7. How does Codell interact with the Slick Boys "Just Say No" campaign?
(a) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she plays a drug dealer.
(b) She feels the scantily-clad dancers are inappropriate for children, and she stops the assembly.
(c) She is asked to participate in a "Just Say No" role-play, in which she says "No" to marijuana.
(d) She joins the Slick Boys on stage and impresses with her dance moves.
8. What is Codell's general attitude toward Ms. Federman?
(a) She respects her persistence in teaching for so long.
(b) Codell is angry with Ms. Federman, because she promises to help Codell but never does.
(c) She cannot agree with almost all of Ms. Federman's radical teaching methods.
(d) She thinks Ms. Federman is a dinosaur from a long-gone era.
9. How does Ruben show his affectionate crush for Codell?
(a) Ruben makes sure to sit next to her during reading time, and he caresses her leg.
(b) He frequently leaves a gift on her desk after class is over.
(c) After Codell says she likes the color red, Ruben wears nothing but red shirts to class.
(d) He writes to her in his journal, expressing his amorous feelings.
10. What is Codell's true intention in using the time machine?
(a) Doing work alone in the time machine will make the day seem to go faster for bored students.
(b) By thinking about different years and traveling through time, students will learn math concepts.
(c) She feels that reading is a kind of time travel.
(d) The time machine provides a "time out" for misbehaving students.
11. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
12. Why does Mr. Turner object to Codell's school social committee guidelines on February 15th?
(a) Mr. Turner could tell Codell spent little time on them.
(b) Codell left off some of the more controversial guidelines so parents would not be alarmed.
(c) The guidelines called for frequent field trips, and Mr. Turner feared the budget would balloon.
(d) Codell signed her name "Madame Esme," and Mr. Turner does not think that name is appropriate.
13. How old is Esme Codell when given a job at the public school at the start of the book?
14. What kind of music do the Slick Boys use in their assembly presentation?
(a) 1990s-style new jack swing.
(d) 1950s-style doo-wop.
15. According to Codell, what is Miss Clark's flaw as a teacher?
(a) Miss Clark cares more about her boyfriend than about teaching, and she is lazy.
(b) Miss Clark is much too harsh, considering her urban students less than human.
(c) Miss Clark is hopelessly disorganized, and never has a solid lesson plan in place.
(d) Miss Clark spoils her children and desperately wants to be liked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme does Codell choose for her students for their Christmas assembly?
2. How do older teachers react to the great effort Codell takes with preparing her classroom for the first day of school?
3. On September 27, what book is read that inspires Ashworth to reveal his missing digit to the class?
4. How does the student Codell makes teacher for the day start the morning?
5. Why do Codell and Mr. Turner fail to secure any donations, according to the July 28th entry?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)