|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue and Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does prefabricated curriculum lead to, in Codell's opinion?
(a) Both good and bad teachers ignoring mandates completely.
(b) The rise of only bad teachers, because the curriculum is stifling and uncreative.
(c) The rise of only good teachers, because even the best teachers need state guidelines.
(d) Either good teachers skillfully adapting it to their needs, or bad teachers using it as a crutch.
2. What best describes Codell's approach to disciplining children?
(a) Codell longs for the days in which teachers could physically discipline students, because it was so effective.
(b) Teachers should do little to no disciplining; disciplining stifles creativity.
(c) The bulk of a teachers' efforts should be put toward discipline.
(d) Teachers should only do mild disciplining; principals should handle true problem children.
3. On October 29th, Codell creates an after-school club with what focus?
(a) The Thinking Cap, in order to "increase" everyone's intelligence.
(b) Activities related to The Bat-Poet book.
(c) Outdoor sports.
(d) Activities related to the "Addy" series of books.
4. According to Codell, how must a teacher behave with a student to get him/her to learn?
(a) Kind and nurturing.
(b) Aloof and disinterested.
(c) Coy and elusive.
(d) Tough and strict.
5. What activity did Codell have the class do to learn about medieval history.
(a) Read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, and act out some of the stories.
(b) Make a castle out of marshmallows.
(c) Have a mock jousting tournament.
(d) Make a diagram of all the parts of a knight's armor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Codell alert administration when one of her students brings a baby brother to school?
2. What is stolen from Codell's classroom on October 5?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the manner in which Codell answers the panel in her first interview in Part I?
4. Which student does Codell believe has the potential to become a children's book illustrator?
5. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the speaker in Codell's poem "The Custodian's Thoughts"?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)