|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Pages 20 through 45.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Codell dissatisfied with the funeral service held for Ismene?
(a) The service is small, and Codell believes Ismene deserved a much larger service.
(b) Codell feels the eulogies given at the service are inadequate.
(c) It is raining hard, which Codell considers a bad omen.
(d) The service is conducted in a foreign language, and the behavior of those in attendance makes Codell nervous.
2. What is the ethnic makeup of Codell's class?
(a) Mostly black.
(b) About half and half, black and white.
(c) Mostly hispanic.
(d) Mostly white.
3. What does Codell tell her students about their "alphabet museum" in order to avoid potential embarrassment?
(a) The students should go home to share the museum with younger siblings or neighbors.
(b) The alphabet museum will be photographed for a local newspaper article.
(c) The alphabet museum will not be shared with anyone outside the classroom.
(d) The students are creating the alphabet museum for use by kindergartners.
4. What about Mr. Turner's phone call habits irks Codell in the first few entries of the book?
(a) He speaks for very long periods on the phone.
(b) He frequently hangs up, only to call again soon after.
(c) He calls very late, sometimes as late as 11:30 PM.
(d) He yells into the receiver.
5. When an architect shows Codell her future classroom in Part I, which of the following is something Codell thinks?
(a) She does not like the "new construction" smell, preferring the unique smell of a school classroom.
(b) The classroom will be much too small for her expected number of students.
(c) She is glad her classroom is so far away from Mr. Turner's office.
(d) She wishes the classroom was on the second story for safety reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization is established to evaluate Codell's Fairy Tale Festival proposal?
2. When interviewed for her first teaching job, how does Codell characterize her discipline style?
3. How does the class respond to Ashworth's revealing of his missing digit.
4. What does Codell notice about the new class of teachers that will be teaching along with her at the new school?
5. Why does Codell organize a field trip to the university science fair on October 13?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)