|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr choose not to carry with him that many other reporters carry?
2. What two things mark his visits with friends?
3. What does one correspondent ride through the middle of a battle?
4. Which correspondent suffers a severe accident?
5. Herr learns that Mayhew died by _____________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of illegal drugs and marijuana among Vietnam soldiers. Why were the drugs used? How were they obtained? What effect did the drugs have on the soldiers? What happened when strung out soldiers returned to the United States? Did the use of drugs in Vietnam influence the drug culture in America? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture of America that Vietnam Veterans returned to. How were they greeted and treated? What opportunities were available to them or denied them because of their time in Vietnam? How did their family members and friends treat returning soldiers?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)