|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do NVA troops begin building up around the Khe Sanh base?
2. Who is defeated during the battle of Dien Bien Phu?
(a) The Americans
(b) The Chinese
(c) The French
(d) The Vietnamese
3. What does one veteran correspondent say is the most useful thing to know in Vietnam?
(a) To know where to get drugs
(b) To hit the floor quickly
(c) To learn how to fire a weapon properly
(d) To get home quickly
4. Where does the chapter's title come from?
(a) A popular song
(b) A saying soldiers paint on their helmets
(c) The nickname for the Tet Offensive
(d) A propaganda slogan
5. What is the trick to survival?
(a) Listen to your commander
(b) Always keep moving
(c) Stay put
(d) Keep your head low
Short Answer Questions
1. The NVA hold what building in Hue?
2. What does Herr say plays behind the young marine's eyes?
3. Who says he is now emperor?
4. What does one soldier do when he sees Herr's bloody nose?
5. Where does Herr find himself during a downpour?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
2. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
3. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
4. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
5. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
6. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
7. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
8. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
9. Describe the soldier who tells Herr that he knows how to use both types of drugs to handle the war.
10. How does the presence of the correspondents lend importance to missions and also detract from the importance of the soldiers job?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)