|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names the military gives to the geographical areas of Vietnam?
(a) I Corps, II Corps, III Corps, IV Corps
(b) I Corps, DMZ, Cam Ranh Bay, Saigon
(c) DMZ, Eye Corps, Mountains, Delta
(d) Saigon, China Beach, Khe Sanh, Ho Chi Minh
2. Who fought the Vietnamese in Dien Bien Phu?
(a) The French
(b) The Chinese
(c) The Montagnards
(d) The Japanese
3. No soldier would want to return home with this.
(a) Lost limbs
(b) Shell shock
4. Some soldiers feel they must stop the war or Communism will go where?
(a) South America
(b) The United States
(d) The entire world
5. What two emotions does Herr feel looking at pictures of dead people?
(a) Shock and fascination
(b) Repulsion and fascination
(c) Fascination and Horror
(d) Shock and Repulsion
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dien Bien Phu occur?
2. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
3. What does Herr say plays behind the young marine's eyes?
4. What dissolves among American soldiers after Ia Drang?
5. Who is Seann Flynn's famous father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
2. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
3. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
4. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
5. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
6. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
7. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
8. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
9. Describe the reaction Herr has to seeing dead bodies and how the soldiers react when they kill the enemy.
10. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)