|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was terrorism at its worst?
(a) 1965 -1973
(d) 1963 - 1965
2. Where does the chapter's title come from?
(a) A saying soldiers paint on their helmets
(b) A propaganda slogan
(c) A popular song
(d) The nickname for the Tet Offensive
3. What was once the most beautiful city in Vietnam?
(b) Ho Chi Minh
(d) China Beach
4. What does one veteran correspondent say is the most useful thing to know in Vietnam?
(a) To hit the floor quickly
(b) To know where to get drugs
(c) To get home quickly
(d) To learn how to fire a weapon properly
5. What does Herr say plays behind the young marine's eyes?
(a) The My Lai massacre
(b) The endless marches through jungles
(c) The children playing near land mines
(d) The horror of seeing his buddies killed
Short Answer Questions
1. Who set the booby trap on the latrine?
2. When do NVA troops begin building up around the Khe Sanh base?
3. The brass declare what after the Tet Offensive?
4. What dissolves among American soldiers after Ia Drang?
5. What are the four geographical areas of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe China Beach and what soldiers do there.
2. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
3. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
4. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
5. How does the presence of the correspondents lend importance to missions and also detract from the importance of the soldiers job?
6. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
7. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
8. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
9. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
10. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)