|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which president declares that Khe Sanh cannot fall to the NVA?
(b) Lyndon Johnson
2. What are the four geographical areas of Vietnam?
(a) delta, rivers, mountains, plains
(b) plains, piedmont, mountains, lowlands
(c) north, south, east, west
(d) delta, flats, piedmont, highlands
3. Where is Herr working as a war correspondent?
(b) South Vietnam
(d) The Pentagon
4. The NVA hold what building in Hue?
(a) The Citadel
(b) The Temple
(c) The national university
(d) The US Embassy
5. What phrase is used even though most soldiers don't mean it?
(a) Good Luck
(b) Break a Leg
(c) Give them Heck
(d) Good Job
Short Answer Questions
1. When was terrorism at its worst?
2. What happens to bodies that cannot be positively identified?
3. From where is the young marine departing?
4. What is a fatal mistake made by the Marines?
5. Why does the young marine not show any mirth in his smile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
2. Why does Herr feel emptiness and longing while visiting old friends?
3. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
4. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
5. Why do soldiers take body part trophies? Does drug use play a role in this practice?
6. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
7. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
8. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
9. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
10. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)