|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a TAOR?
(a) Tactical Army of Response
(b) Tactical Base of Responsiblity
(c) Tactics Armory of Reconnaissance
(d) Training And Ovation Response
2. What does one soldier do when he sees Herr's bloody nose?
(b) Takes his gun away
(c) Rushes him to Medevac
(d) Gives him a medal
3. What does Herr say finally happened to the young marine?
(a) He leaves for home on his fourth attempt
(b) He is hospitalized on suicide watch
(c) He is killed in an ambush
(d) He does not know if he got out or not
4. What do men do to reduce glare?
(a) Wear sunglasses
(b) Use umbrellas
(c) Wear baseball caps under their helmets
(d) Paint their faces
5. What is the official death toll for Ia Drang listed at?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dien Bien Phu occur?
2. No soldier would want to return home with this.
3. What does ARVN stand for?
4. When do NVA troops begin building up around the Khe Sanh base?
5. What two kinds of drugs do the soldiers turn to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What timeframe is Herr writing during? Is there any significance to the fact that he is writing at this time?
2. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
3. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
4. Why does Herr feel emptiness and longing while visiting old friends?
5. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
6. Describe the stories Herr hears from the soldiers.
7. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
8. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
9. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
10. What role does luck play in the lives of the soldiers?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)