|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most popular strategy for ending the war according to the soldiers?
(a) Remaining in Vietnam forever
(b) Going home
(c) Levelling the country
(d) Letting the NVA take over
2. What is the term for the condition which affects many soldiers experiencing terrible events in war?
(b) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
(c) Veteran's disease
(d) Shell Shock
3. When did Dien Bien Phu occur?
4. What do the troops find in the city of Hue?
(a) Fresh replacement troops from America
(b) A large company of NVA troops
(c) A deserted city
(d) Thousands of dead bodies
5. Where does Herr find himself during a downpour?
(a) A bunker in the jungle
(b) An airfield in Kontum
(c) A hotel in Saigon
(d) China Beach
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names the military gives to the geographical areas of Vietnam?
2. What jungle disease takes down many strong men?
3. The soldiers feel that the actual death count is closer to how many times the official count?
4. What does NVA stand for?
5. President Johnson's comment about Khe Sanh is considered what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
2. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
3. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
4. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
5. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
6. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
7. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
8. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
9. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
10. What role does luck play in the lives of the soldiers?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)