|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. President Johnson's comment about Khe Sanh is considered what?
(a) An encouragement to the troops
(b) A political move
(d) An excuse for the Americans defeat
2. When does Herr finally take up a weapon?
(a) When a VC threatens him
(b) When another soldier makes him use a gun
(c) During the Tet Offensive
(d) When he is dared to shoot a water buffalo
3. What happens to bodies that cannot be positively identified?
(a) They are listed as VC
(b) They are listed as American
(c) They are hung from trees
(d) They are not counted
4. What is the most popular strategy for ending the war according to the soldiers?
(a) Remaining in Vietnam forever
(b) Going home
(c) Levelling the country
(d) Letting the NVA take over
5. What is a LRRP?
(a) Long Range Reporting Party
(b) Long Range Recruit Party
(c) Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol
(d) Last Roving Reporting Patrol
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is the young marine departing?
2. What is the name of the river by Hue?
3. Many soldiers carry what to keep them safe?
4. The brass declare what after the Tet Offensive?
5. Reporters compare the Khe Sanh base to what other military conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
2. Khe Sanh is compared to another battle fought nearly ten years earlier. What is the name of that battle and what happened?
3. What are the two realities of Vietnam and how do they differ?
4. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
5. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
6. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
7. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
8. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
9. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
10. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)