|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
(a) He misses his transport
(b) He is killed
(c) He shoots himself in the hand
(d) He shoots himself in the foot
2. There are eight thousand American troops facing how many NVA troops?
(a) Twenty Thousand
(b) Forty Thousand
(c) Ten Thousand
(d) Four Thosand
3. What happens to bodies that cannot be positively identified?
(a) They are hung from trees
(b) They are listed as VC
(c) They are not counted
(d) They are listed as American
4. When does the Dak To battle take place?
(a) March 1967
(b) April 1971
(c) December 1954
(d) November 1967
5. What does Herr say plays behind the young marine's eyes?
(a) The children playing near land mines
(b) The endless marches through jungles
(c) The horror of seeing his buddies killed
(d) The My Lai massacre
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribes control the mountains?
2. Who says he is now emperor?
3. Reporters compare the Khe Sanh base to what other military conflict?
4. When did Dien Bien Phu occur?
5. What are the four geographical areas of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Day Tripper and Mayhew? What does Herr do with them?
2. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
3. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
4. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
5. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
6. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
7. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
8. Describe the soldier who tells Herr that he knows how to use both types of drugs to handle the war.
9. Describe China Beach and what soldiers do there.
10. What is Soc Trang and what does it promise Herr?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)