|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who set the booby trap on the latrine?
(a) The VC
(b) Vietnamese civilians
(c) A soldier gone crazy
(d) The reporters
2. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
(a) He is killed
(b) He shoots himself in the hand
(c) He misses his transport
(d) He shoots himself in the foot
3. President Johnson's comment about Khe Sanh is considered what?
(a) An encouragement to the troops
(b) An excuse for the Americans defeat
(d) A political move
4. What are the names the military gives to the geographical areas of Vietnam?
(a) DMZ, Eye Corps, Mountains, Delta
(b) I Corps, DMZ, Cam Ranh Bay, Saigon
(c) Saigon, China Beach, Khe Sanh, Ho Chi Minh
(d) I Corps, II Corps, III Corps, IV Corps
5. What is booby trapped with a grenade?
(a) A helmet
(b) A tent door
(c) A tank
(d) A latrine
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Herr working as a war correspondent?
2. For how many miles does the front at Dak To stretch?
3. What dissolves among American soldiers after Ia Drang?
4. From where is the young marine departing?
5. In what city is Herr's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
2. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
3. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
4. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
5. Describe the stories Herr hears from the soldiers.
6. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
7. Who are the Montagnards and what role do they play in the Vietnam War?
8. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
9. Khe Sanh is compared to another battle fought nearly ten years earlier. What is the name of that battle and what happened?
10. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)