|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dreams of the soldiers become what?
(b) Physical battles
2. What is a fatal mistake made by the Marines?
(a) Not having enough food
(b) Underestimating the enemy
(c) Not bringing enough ammunition
(d) Not calling for reinforcements
3. What was once the most beautiful city in Vietnam?
(c) China Beach
(d) Ho Chi Minh
4. Where does Herr find himself during a downpour?
(a) An airfield in Kontum
(b) China Beach
(c) A bunker in the jungle
(d) A hotel in Saigon
5. When does the Tet Offensive begin?
(a) January 31, 1969
(b) July 4, 1965
(c) January 30,1968
(d) July 31, 1967
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Herr's apartment?
2. There are eight thousand American troops facing how many NVA troops?
3. The VC conserves what?
4. What is a LRRP?
5. When was terrorism at its worst?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe China Beach and what soldiers do there.
2. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
3. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
4. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
5. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
6. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
7. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
8. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
9. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
10. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)