|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Herr, how do the higher levels of the military behave?
(a) They lie to make things appear better than they are
(b) They are congenial but evasive
(c) They refuse to communicate with the press
(d) They tell the truth as painful as it may be
2. What sights upset Day Tripper?
(b) Mayhew losing a leg
(c) The NVA soldiers hanging on the wire fence
(d) Piles of dead Vietnamese
3. Who are the two men Herr meets in Khe Sanh?
(a) Dana Stone and Day Tripper
(b) Page and Flynn
(c) Day Tripper and Mayhew
(d) Mayhew and Page
4. Who gets regular leave to China Beach?
(a) Wounded Marines
(b) The officers
(c) The Press Corps
(d) Good combat Marines
5. What news of Day Tripper does Herr receive at China Beach?
(a) He has been sent home
(b) He is dead
(c) He has been stationed in Saigon
(d) He is also in China Beach
6. When do the Marines finally leave Khe Sanh?
(a) They are under siege and cannot leave
(b) They spend the rest of the war at Khe Sanh
(c) In the spring
(d) The Marines establish a permanent base at Khe Sanh
7. Where is Mayhew's friend recovering before returning to Khe Sanh?
(c) China Beach
8. Who is the reporter who earns respect by taking point during patrols?
(b) Dana Stone
9. Where are Day Tripper and Mayhew from respectively?
(a) Detroit and Kansas City
(b) Kansas City and Atlanta
(c) Chicago and Detroit
(d) Detroit and New York City
10. Where does Herr go following Khe Sanh?
(b) China Beach
(d) United States
11. What event occurs at the same time as the Khe Sanh battle?
(a) The assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
(b) Page dies in battle
(c) The Beatles visit Saigon
(d) Herr's birthday
12. How much money does one official say a dead Marine costs?
(a) Eighteen thousand dollars
(b) A thousand dollars
(c) Eighteen hundred dollars
(d) Five thousand dollars
13. Who is the press secretary for Khe Sanh?
(a) Colonel David Lownds
(b) Dana Stone
(d) Seann Flynn Page
14. Where does the Cav build a sprawling base?
(a) South of Hanoi
(b) North of Saigon
(c) West of Hue
(d) North of Khe Sanh
15. With which general do Herr and Prager meet?
(a) General Eisenhower
(b) General Thompson
(c) General Tompkins
(d) General North
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Page represent to the Marines?
2. What do the soldiers do in China Beach?
3. What is the nickname Dink short for?
4. Herr begins the chapter with a scene from what war?
5. What does Herr begin the chapter with?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)