|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mayhew announce that upsets Day Tripper?
(a) He has extended his stay by four months
(b) He has asked for a transfer
(c) He killed an innocent Vietnamese woman
(d) He is being sent home
2. When does Operation Pegasus begin?
(a) April 1
(b) August 1
(c) January 1
(d) March 31
3. What do the Marines discover in the hills?
(a) The NVA left in a hurry
(b) Massacred villagers
(c) Ammunition and arms supplies
(d) Entrenched NVA troops
4. Why don't the soldiers accept the coffee?
(a) They are too battle-weary
(b) They are ordered not to stop
(c) They do not drink coffee
(d) They do not hear the women
5. What does JUSPAO stand for?
(a) Journalists from US Publishing Articles Overseas
(b) Joint US Public Affairs Office
(c) Joint US Publishing Affairs Organization
(d) Joining United States Publishers Articles Overseas
6. What does the NCO's friend do to their school teacher?
(a) Licks her face
(b) Grabs her bottom
(c) Makes her cry
(d) Asks her on a date
7. What does Herr begin the chapter with?
(a) A memory from his childhood
(b) Twenty accounts that happen during Vietnam
(c) A listing of soldiers who died at Khe Sanh
(d) An account of the Tet Offensive
8. What is the loud hammering Herr hears inside the Chinook helicopter?
(a) The propellors falling off
(b) The sound of bombs exploding in the air around the helicopter
(c) Bullets hitting the underside of the helicopter
(d) The gunfire issuing from the helicopter
9. How much money does one official say a dead Marine costs?
(a) Five thousand dollars
(b) Eighteen thousand dollars
(c) A thousand dollars
(d) Eighteen hundred dollars
10. According to Herr, how do the higher levels of the military behave?
(a) They lie to make things appear better than they are
(b) They are congenial but evasive
(c) They tell the truth as painful as it may be
(d) They refuse to communicate with the press
11. Why does Seann Flynn not seem to fit in a combat zone?
(a) Because he is young
(b) Because he is very small
(c) Because Seann is a female
(d) Because he is good looking
12. What sights upset Day Tripper?
(a) The NVA soldiers hanging on the wire fence
(c) Mayhew losing a leg
(d) Piles of dead Vietnamese
13. What is a Seabee?
(a) A construction battalion
(b) A Green Beret trained in aquatics
(c) The coast guard
(d) A Navy Seal
14. What do officials do to make things seem better than they are?
(a) Give monthly R&R passes to soldiers
(b) Send gifts to the Marines
(c) Shorten tours of duty
(d) Tell lies in their reports
15. What is China Beach?
(a) Another military base
(b) The head of military operations
(c) A place where correspondents give press junkets
(d) A place for in-country R&R
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Cav build a sprawling base?
2. What is the name of the relief operation at Khe Sanh?
3. What does Herr believe about the press secretary at Khe Sanh?
4. What does Herr talk about with a black Marine?
5. Where is Mayhew's friend recovering before returning to Khe Sanh?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)