|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Herr learns that Mayhew died by _____________________________.
(a) a heart attack
(b) an ambush
(c) being hit directly in the chest
(d) a self-inflicted gunshot wound
2. Why does Seann Flynn not seem to fit in a combat zone?
(a) Because he is young
(b) Because he is very small
(c) Because Seann is a female
(d) Because he is good looking
3. Herr compares the landscape around Khe Sanh to what?
(a) A moonscape
(b) A beautiful painting
(c) A volcanic eruption
(d) A dead body
4. What do the Marines discover in the hills?
(a) Ammunition and arms supplies
(b) Massacred villagers
(c) The NVA left in a hurry
(d) Entrenched NVA troops
5. The Special Forces man who kills one enemy and frees one prisoner is rewarded for killing how many and rescuing how many?
(a) Killing 2 and rescuing 1
(b) Killing 1 and rescuing 1
(c) Killing 14 and rescuing 6
(d) Killing 1 and rescuing 5
6. Which correspondent suffers a severe accident?
7. What is the General's response?
(a) He is calling in more troops
(b) He is pulling American troops out of Khe Sanh
(c) He doubts the NVA can make such a manuver
(d) He wants the NVA to attack Khe Sanh
8. Where are Day Tripper and Mayhew from respectively?
(a) Detroit and New York City
(b) Chicago and Detroit
(c) Kansas City and Atlanta
(d) Detroit and Kansas City
9. Why don't the soldiers accept the coffee?
(a) They do not drink coffee
(b) They do not hear the women
(c) They are too battle-weary
(d) They are ordered not to stop
10. Who does Herr dread becoming like?
(a) The Montagnards
(b) The zombie soldiers
(c) Page and Flynn
(d) Aging journalists
11. According to Herr, how do the higher levels of the military behave?
(a) They tell the truth as painful as it may be
(b) They refuse to communicate with the press
(c) They are congenial but evasive
(d) They lie to make things appear better than they are
12. What do the soldiers do in China Beach?
(a) Soak up the sun, take hot showers, eat hot food
(b) Resupply ammunition, weapons, and fuel supplies of other troops
(c) Engage in training missions
(d) Work in rice fields
13. What news of Day Tripper does Herr receive at China Beach?
(a) He has been sent home
(b) He is dead
(c) He is also in China Beach
(d) He has been stationed in Saigon
14. With which magazine is Karsten Prager associated?
15. How often do soldiers get to go to China Beach?
(a) Only if their CO recommends them
(b) At least once during a 13-month tour
(c) Every two weeks
(d) Every month
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the relief operation at Khe Sanh?
2. What are the two realities of the war?
3. What is the weapon that kills Mayhew?
4. How long has the Special Forces at the EM Club been in Vietnam?
5. Where does Herr go following Khe Sanh?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)