|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mayhew's friend recovering before returning to Khe Sanh?
(a) China Beach
2. Herr begins the chapter with a scene from what war?
(a) The Civil War
(b) World War II
(c) World War I
(d) The Korean War
3. Why don't the soldiers accept the coffee?
(a) They are too battle-weary
(b) They are ordered not to stop
(c) They do not drink coffee
(d) They do not hear the women
4. Who is the reporter who earns respect by taking point during patrols?
(b) Dana Stone
5. What is the General's response?
(a) He wants the NVA to attack Khe Sanh
(b) He is calling in more troops
(c) He doubts the NVA can make such a manuver
(d) He is pulling American troops out of Khe Sanh
6. Which correspondent suffers a severe accident?
7. When does Operation Pegasus begin?
(a) April 1
(b) August 1
(c) March 31
(d) January 1
8. What does Mayhew announce that upsets Day Tripper?
(a) He killed an innocent Vietnamese woman
(b) He has extended his stay by four months
(c) He is being sent home
(d) He has asked for a transfer
9. What does Herr talk about with a black Marine?
(a) The end of the war
(b) The drug culture among marines
(c) The assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) The accuracy of press coverage
10. What question does Prager ask the General?
(a) How to win the war
(b) For extra troops at Khe Sanh
(c) What he would do if the NVA attack Khe Sanh and supporting bases at once
(d) If they can have steak for dinner
11. What is the weapon that kills Mayhew?
(c) RPG (rocket-propelled grenade)
(d) Land mine
12. With which magazine is Karsten Prager associated?
13. How many writers does Herr estimate are in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive?
14. What do the NVA have that no one expected them to have?
(a) French Rocket Launchers
(b) Soviet tanks
(c) American weapons
15. What is the name of the relief operation at Khe Sanh?
(a) Operation Eagle
(b) Operation Winged-Horse
(c) Operation Get Out Now
(d) Operation Pegasus
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the loud hammering Herr hears inside the Chinook helicopter?
2. How old is Page on his next birthday?
3. According to Herr, how do the higher levels of the military behave?
4. How long has the Special Forces at the EM Club been in Vietnam?
5. Herr compares the landscape around Khe Sanh to what?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)