|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which newspaper is Peter Braestrup associated?
(a) Washington Post
(b) Boston Globe
(c) New York Times
(d) Philadelphia Enquirer
2. What does the NCO's friend do to their school teacher?
(a) Asks her on a date
(b) Grabs her bottom
(c) Licks her face
(d) Makes her cry
3. Why don't the soldiers accept the coffee?
(a) They do not hear the women
(b) They do not drink coffee
(c) They are too battle-weary
(d) They are ordered not to stop
4. What does Herr talk about with a black Marine?
(a) The end of the war
(b) The accuracy of press coverage
(c) The drug culture among marines
(d) The assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. Who recognizes Herr at China Beach?
(a) General Tompkins
(b) Two Marines from the 26th Company
(c) Robert McNamara
(d) Dan Rather from CBS
6. The Special Forces man who kills one enemy and frees one prisoner is rewarded for killing how many and rescuing how many?
(a) Killing 1 and rescuing 5
(b) Killing 14 and rescuing 6
(c) Killing 2 and rescuing 1
(d) Killing 1 and rescuing 1
7. What is the unspoken fear Herr does not mention?
(a) That Americans will run out of ammunition
(b) That the NVA will overrun Khe Sanh like Langvei
(c) That the NVA have more unknown weapons
(d) That he will not get out of Khe Sanh alive
8. Who is the reporter who earns respect by taking point during patrols?
(b) Dana Stone
9. What does Herr believe about the press secretary at Khe Sanh?
(a) That he is no good at his job
(b) That he is scared of the war
(c) That he is really a good soldier
(d) That he likes to tell lies
10. According to Herr, how do the higher levels of the military behave?
(a) They refuse to communicate with the press
(b) They tell the truth as painful as it may be
(c) They are congenial but evasive
(d) They lie to make things appear better than they are
11. What is the General's response?
(a) He wants the NVA to attack Khe Sanh
(b) He doubts the NVA can make such a manuver
(c) He is pulling American troops out of Khe Sanh
(d) He is calling in more troops
12. Why do the men hear continuous machine gun fire at night?
(a) They are suffering dreams from smoking marijuana
(b) An NVA is stuck on the wire around the base
(c) A water buffalo ran into the gun and knocked it down
(d) An American soldier went crazy and is spraying the base
13. How many writers does Herr estimate are in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive?
14. What did the NVA leave behind?
(a) Guns and ammunition
(b) Complete encampments
(c) Abandoned packs and equipment
(d) Food supplies
15. How does Herr find the conditions now in Khe Sanh?
(a) About the same
(c) Greatly improved
(d) No change
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Herr dread becoming like?
2. With which magazine is Karsten Prager associated?
3. Herr begins the chapter with a scene from what war?
4. What does Herr suffer his first month back in America?
5. What is a Seabee?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)