|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the photographer witness soldiers doing with VC bodies?
(a) Dropping them out of a helicopter
(b) Hanging them from trees
(c) Lighting them on fire
(d) Burying them in a mass grave
2. Herr begins the chapter with a scene from what war?
(a) World War II
(b) The Korean War
(c) World War I
(d) The Civil War
3. Why do the men hear continuous machine gun fire at night?
(a) An NVA is stuck on the wire around the base
(b) They are suffering dreams from smoking marijuana
(c) An American soldier went crazy and is spraying the base
(d) A water buffalo ran into the gun and knocked it down
4. What is the nickname Dink short for?
(a) Dink-a- Dinks
(d) Dinky doo
5. What news of Mayhew does Herr receive at China Beach?
(a) He has been sent home
(b) He is dead
(c) He has been stationed in Saigon
(d) He is also in China Beach
6. What does Page represent to the Marines?
(a) The real enemy
(b) A drain on their resources
(c) A good friend
(d) A true soldier
7. Who does Herr dread becoming like?
(a) The zombie soldiers
(b) Page and Flynn
(c) The Montagnards
(d) Aging journalists
8. What rock and roll artist does one soldier play during a firefight?
(a) Elvis Presley
(b) Buddy Holly
(c) The Beatles
(d) Jimi Hendrix
9. What do the NVA have that no one expected them to have?
(b) Soviet tanks
(c) American weapons
(d) French Rocket Launchers
10. What battle occurs at the same time as the siege at Khe Sanh?
11. How many meters separate the bunkers and the NVA trenches?
(a) Five hundred
(c) Three hundred
(d) One hundred
12. What is China Beach?
(a) The head of military operations
(b) Another military base
(c) A place for in-country R&R
(d) A place where correspondents give press junkets
13. What do the Marines discover in the hills?
(a) Massacred villagers
(b) Ammunition and arms supplies
(c) Entrenched NVA troops
(d) The NVA left in a hurry
14. What is the General's response?
(a) He is calling in more troops
(b) He wants the NVA to attack Khe Sanh
(c) He is pulling American troops out of Khe Sanh
(d) He doubts the NVA can make such a manuver
15. Where does the Cav build a sprawling base?
(a) West of Hue
(b) North of Saigon
(c) North of Khe Sanh
(d) South of Hanoi
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr talk about with a black Marine?
2. Who gets regular leave to China Beach?
3. What do the Marines find in the hills once occupied by the NVA?
4. Who is the correspondent Herr travels with across the DMZ?
5. What does JUSPAO stand for?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)