|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sights upset Day Tripper?
(a) The NVA soldiers hanging on the wire fence
(b) Mayhew losing a leg
(c) Piles of dead Vietnamese
2. Herr begins the chapter with a scene from what war?
(a) The Civil War
(b) World War II
(c) World War I
(d) The Korean War
3. How much money does one official say a dead Marine costs?
(a) Eighteen thousand dollars
(b) Eighteen hundred dollars
(c) Five thousand dollars
(d) A thousand dollars
4. What does Herr choose not to carry with him that many other reporters carry?
(a) Extra ammunition
(b) Extra food
(d) His credentials
5. According to Herr, how do the higher levels of the military behave?
(a) They are congenial but evasive
(b) They lie to make things appear better than they are
(c) They refuse to communicate with the press
(d) They tell the truth as painful as it may be
6. What is the weapon that kills Mayhew?
(a) RPG (rocket-propelled grenade)
(c) Land mine
7. What do the NVA have that no one expected them to have?
(b) Soviet tanks
(c) American weapons
(d) French Rocket Launchers
8. What is the loud hammering Herr hears inside the Chinook helicopter?
(a) The sound of bombs exploding in the air around the helicopter
(b) Bullets hitting the underside of the helicopter
(c) The propellors falling off
(d) The gunfire issuing from the helicopter
9. What news of Mayhew does Herr receive at China Beach?
(a) He is dead
(b) He is also in China Beach
(c) He has been sent home
(d) He has been stationed in Saigon
10. Herr calls war correspondents what?
(b) Pretend Soldiers
(c) Those Crazy Guys who Cover the War
(d) War Heroes
11. How do many of the correspondents act during the war?
(a) As if they are soldiers
(b) As if they are on vacation
(c) As if they are government officials
(d) As if it is a war movie
12. When does Operation Pegasus begin?
(a) March 31
(b) April 1
(c) August 1
(d) January 1
13. What does Mayhew announce that upsets Day Tripper?
(a) He is being sent home
(b) He killed an innocent Vietnamese woman
(c) He has asked for a transfer
(d) He has extended his stay by four months
14. How does Herr find the conditions now in Khe Sanh?
(a) About the same
(c) Greatly improved
(d) No change
15. With which magazine is Karsten Prager associated?
Short Answer Questions
1. Herr compares some of the reporters to what other profession?
2. What does Herr suffer his first month back in America?
3. What is the name of the 26th Marines company?
4. Who is the reporter who earns respect by taking point during patrols?
5. Herr compares the landscape around Khe Sanh to what?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)