|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two emotions does Herr feel looking at pictures of dead people?
(a) Shock and fascination
(b) Shock and Repulsion
(c) Fascination and Horror
(d) Repulsion and fascination
2. Why do military officials say Khe Sanh is different from Dien Bien Phu?
(a) The Americans are better prepared than the French
(b) There are more American troops than NVA
(c) The base sits on high ground
(d) The NVA will give up quickly
3. Which president declares that Khe Sanh cannot fall to the NVA?
(d) Lyndon Johnson
4. Reporters compare the Khe Sanh base to what other military conflict?
(b) Dien Bien Phu
(c) Ho Chi Minh
5. What does one veteran correspondent say is the most useful thing to know in Vietnam?
(a) To know where to get drugs
(b) To learn how to fire a weapon properly
(c) To hit the floor quickly
(d) To get home quickly
6. Where does Herr find himself during a downpour?
(a) A hotel in Saigon
(b) An airfield in Kontum
(c) A bunker in the jungle
(d) China Beach
7. Who fights with the Montagnards against the NVA?
(a) The Americans
(b) The South Vietnamese
(c) Vietnamese civilians
(d) The French
8. No soldier would want to return home with this.
(a) Shell shock
(d) Lost limbs
9. What type of transport is the young marine awaiting?
(a) Coast Guard
(b) Green Berets
10. Who is defeated during the battle of Dien Bien Phu?
(a) The Chinese
(b) The Vietnamese
(c) The French
(d) The Americans
11. What does Herr say is the reason he came to Vietnam?
(a) To meet Seann Flynn
(b) To do his duty to his country
(c) To further his career
(d) To visit a foreign country
12. What are the names the military gives to the geographical areas of Vietnam?
(a) Saigon, China Beach, Khe Sanh, Ho Chi Minh
(b) I Corps, DMZ, Cam Ranh Bay, Saigon
(c) I Corps, II Corps, III Corps, IV Corps
(d) DMZ, Eye Corps, Mountains, Delta
13. What dissolves among American soldiers after Ia Drang?
14. The soldiers feel that the actual death count is closer to how many times the official count?
(a) the official count is correct
(b) three to four times
(c) two times
(d) ten times
15. Why do many soldiers miss details that could have kept them alive?
(a) Loss of Hearing
(b) COs do not tell them
(c) They do not care to live
Short Answer Questions
1. What do men do to reduce glare?
2. The VC conserves what?
3. When do NVA troops begin building up around the Khe Sanh base?
4. Who fought the Vietnamese in Dien Bien Phu?
5. What battles take place in 1965 that cost numerous American lives?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)