Chapter 1, Part I Breathing In
• Herr works as a war correspondent in South Vietnam.
• He is based out of Saigon but travels with several other correspondents to various military camps.
• Herr sees first hand the toll the war and drugs take on the soldiers.
• Herr cannot get used to the fast pace of military life.
Chapter 1, Part II Breathing In
• Herr remembers his initial introduction to war and death as a young kid.
• He discusses his motives for coming to Vietnam but mentions that the war affects him in ways he did not think possible.
• Herr describes some of the reasons that soldiers came to Vietnam.
• He also describes the quality of stories that the soldiers tell him.
• Herr's account of the war is a bit mundane and as stale as the stories the soldiers tell him.
Chapter 1, Part III Breathing In
• Herr uses marijuana and has horrific...
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)