Chapter 1, Part I Breathing In
* Herr works as a war correspondent in South Vietnam.
* He is based out of Saigon but travels with several other correspondents to various military camps.
* Herr sees first hand the toll the war and drugs take on the soldiers.
* Herr cannot get used to the fast pace of military life.
Chapter 1, Part II Breathing In
* Herr remembers his initial introduction to war and death as a young kid.
* He discusses his motives for coming to Vietnam but mentions that the war affects him in ways he did not think possible.
* Herr describes some of the reasons that soldiers came to Vietnam.
* He also describes the quality of stories that the soldiers tell him.
* Herr's account of the war is a bit mundane and as stale as the stories the soldiers tell him.
Chapter 1, Part III Breathing In
* Herr uses marijuana and has horrific...
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)