|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The vast majority of the American populace is too busy with _________________ to bother with a revolution.
2. Who does de Tocqueville believe seeks exclusive comfort?
3. De Tocqueville believes that there is unlikely to be a ______________ in the United States.
4. Democracy tightens social ties as it loosens what?
5. What arm of the government, even in a democracy, tends to seek out war in de Tocqueville's observations?
Short Essay Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
2. What do rising wages for workers mean?
3. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
4. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
5. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
6. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
7. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
8. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
9. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
10. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville believes that nations today (in his time) will be unable to stop the conditions of man from becoming equal. What support does he provide for this statement? Do the ideas presented in his book support his statement? Why or why not? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, where does authority originate from in America as opposed to in an aristocratic regimen? How does this influence the structure and behavior of a democracy as compared to an aristocracy?
Essay Topic 3
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)