|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to De Tocqueville, all Americans seek it, but do not necessarily seek it exclusively. What is it?
2. According to de Tocqueville, total equality of people's condition would only be possible in a society where freedom is what?
3. In de Tocqueville's observations, the economic class of an individual may confer on him several privileges, but there are no _______________ attached to those privileges.
4. In America, citizens have a right to what kind of associations?
5. Political associations bring together whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What normally causes a great social revolution?
2. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
3. Why are democratic societies less likely to wage war?
4. How do the citizens of America see their equality when it comes to work collectively, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
5. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
6. In what situation would total equality of the people's condition be possible?
7. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
8. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
9. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
10. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville believes that democracy counters individualism by ensuring that common good is understood as profiting everyone in the community. In what ways do the structures, people, and ideas de Tocqueville presents in the book affirm that idea? In what ways do they not support the idea? Which is a more convincing argument and why? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
De Tocqueville presents many ways in which a democracy can protect itself from abuse. Why does de Tocqueville believe that a democracy will be abused, and what does he suggest as protection from that abuse? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)