|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What general attitude does de Tocqueville purport that Americans have towards each other?
2. According to de Tocqueville, too much equality leads individuals to what?
3. For whom is de Tocqueville writing this book?
4. One drawback of equality of social conditions is an increase in what?
5. Democracy influences the citizens' political views and what other types of views?
Short Essay Questions
1. As men seeking equality become more alike, what is one possibility for a type of tyrannical regime in a democratic society, according to de Tocqueville?
2. In what situation would total equality of the people's condition be possible?
3. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
4. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
5. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
6. How do the citizens of America see their equality when it comes to work collectively, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
7. What normally causes a great social revolution?
8. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
9. Why does the military, even in a democratic society, tend to seek war?
10. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following ideas as de Tocqueville uses them in his explanation and exploration of democracy:
i. servitude and individuality
ii. despotism and tyranny
iii. oppression and freedom.
Essay Topic 2
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
According to de Tocqueville, what is democracy in America? What are the institutions and players in democracy, and will it be an effective form of governance for America? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)