|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the checks and balances on the executive branch to prevent it from becoming despotic?
2. Limiting the right of association would be what to a democratic society?
3. What type of regime does de Tocqueville believe is more oppressive than a dictatorship?
4. De Tocqueville observes that, while traveling outside their own country, Americans tend to travel with signs associated with _______________?
5. For whom is de Tocqueville writing this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lack of rigidity in a family relationship in a democratic society allow the family to do, according to de Tocqueville?
2. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
3. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
4. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
5. Why are democratic societies less likely to wage war?
6. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
7. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
8. When the people feel more equal, what are some other side effects?
9. What two concepts, though linked, should not be confounded?
10. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, what is tyranny, and how does democracy fight it?
Essay Topic 2
De Tocqueville believes that democracy counters individualism by ensuring that common good is understood as profiting everyone in the community. In what ways do the structures, people, and ideas de Tocqueville presents in the book affirm that idea? In what ways do they not support the idea? Which is a more convincing argument and why? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is liberty? What is equality? How are the two ideas interlinked, and what does that mean for democracy? Please support your answer using examples from the book.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)