|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What produces goods and profits rapidly?
2. In America, de Tocqueville observes that _____________ links the aristocrat and the workman.
3. Democracy counters individualism by insuring that common good is understood as what?
4. Workmen, in America, can be replaced how?
5. Civil associations are often born out of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's observations, how do Americans act when they meet with strangers outside their borders?
2. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
3. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
4. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
5. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
6. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
7. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
8. What normally causes a great social revolution?
9. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
10. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville states that democracy influences human relationships. In what ways does the information and ideas that de Tocqueville presents support or deny this idea? Which side do you agree with and why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
De Tocqueville believes that nations today (in his time) will be unable to stop the conditions of man from becoming equal. What support does he provide for this statement? Do the ideas presented in his book support his statement? Why or why not? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is de Tocqueville's definition of a lawyer? How does a lawyer work to help secure a democracy, in de Tocqueville's view? Does the same definition and purpose apply to lawyers today? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book and present day to support your answer.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)