|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to De Tocqueville, all Americans seek it, but do not necessarily seek it exclusively. What is it?
2. Repetitive tasks give workers an inability to change what?
3. In America, citizens have a right to what kind of associations?
4. Isolation increases the dangers of what?
5. What type of government does de Tocqueville say is "lurking behind every corner" for most citizens of the United States, assuming democracy failed?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
2. What is the only great inequality that de Tocqueville sees in American society?
3. How do the citizens of America see their equality when it comes to work collectively, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
4. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
5. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
6. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
7. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
8. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
9. In de Tocqueville's observations, how do Americans act when they meet with strangers outside their borders?
10. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what are the differences between an aristocratic regime and a democratic regime in terms of governance? Which one does de Tocqueville think is more effective at governing and why?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)