|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The small variations in manners between Americans and others are interpreted, by Americans, as an expression of what?
2. In America, young men are given freedom when they reach what age?
3. Civil associations are often born out of what?
4. What type of government does de Tocqueville say is "lurking behind every corner" for most citizens of the United States, assuming democracy failed?
5. What does de Tocqueville see as the primary danger of democracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What normally causes a great social revolution?
2. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
3. Why does the military, even in a democratic society, tend to seek war?
4. When the people feel more equal, what are some other side effects?
5. According to de Tocqueville, what political instinct have the American people developed that will counter their natural tendency towards equality?
6. As men seeking equality become more alike, what is one possibility for a type of tyrannical regime in a democratic society, according to de Tocqueville?
7. What is the major difference between the classic aristocrat and the new aristocrat in America according to de Tocqueville?
8. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
9. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
10. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, what is the main role of an independent judiciary in a democracy? What is the main role of the judiciary in America? Are the two similar or different? Use the book to provide support for your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, where does authority originate from in America as opposed to in an aristocratic regimen? How does this influence the structure and behavior of a democracy as compared to an aristocracy?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)