|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Limiting the right of association would be what to a democratic society?
2. De Tocqueville states that the aristocracy in America is different from traditional aristocracies because the members of the class do not share what?
3. Decentralization of the governmental administration has multiplied what?
4. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, what is the surest and fastest way to destroy liberty?
5. Governmental power in America is highly ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lack of rigidity in a family relationship in a democratic society allow the family to do, according to de Tocqueville?
2. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
3. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
4. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
5. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
6. In what situation would total equality of the people's condition be possible?
7. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
8. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
9. What is the only great inequality that de Tocqueville sees in American society?
10. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is de Tocqueville's definition of a lawyer? How does a lawyer work to help secure a democracy, in de Tocqueville's view? Does the same definition and purpose apply to lawyers today? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book and present day to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
De Tocqueville presents many ways in which a democracy can protect itself from abuse. Why does de Tocqueville believe that a democracy will be abused, and what does he suggest as protection from that abuse? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)