|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Governmental power in America is highly ______________.
2. The army of a democratic country is equated, by deTocqueville, to what?
3. De Tocqueville believes that the nations of his time cannot prevent the conditions of men from becoming _________________.
4. De Tocqueville believes that people must exercise their political freedom by what?
5. Who does de Tocqueville believe seeks exclusive comfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
2. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
3. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
4. In de Tocqueville's observations, how do Americans act when they meet with strangers outside their borders?
5. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
6. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
7. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
8. What is the major difference between the classic aristocrat and the new aristocrat in America according to de Tocqueville?
9. What two concepts, though linked, should not be confounded?
10. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville states that democracy influences human relationships. In what ways does the information and ideas that de Tocqueville presents support or deny this idea? Which side do you agree with and why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition that de Tocqueville uses for freedom of the press? Using examples from the book, what role does freedom of the press have in a democracy? What role does it have in American democracy?
Essay Topic 3
What is de Tocqueville's definition of religion? What role does religion play in politics, specifically in a democracy? Support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)