|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In America, de Tocqueville observes that _____________ links the aristocrat and the workman.
2. What is an immediate danger to democracy?
3. The vast majority of the American populace is too busy with _________________ to bother with a revolution.
4. What produces goods and profits rapidly?
5. According to de Tocqueville, too much equality leads individuals to what?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, where does authority originate from in America as opposed to in an aristocratic regimen? How does this influence the structure and behavior of a democracy as compared to an aristocracy?
Essay Topic 2
De Tocqueville believes that nations today (in his time) will be unable to stop the conditions of man from becoming equal. What support does he provide for this statement? Do the ideas presented in his book support his statement? Why or why not? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)