|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alone, according to de Tocqueville, is not a strong enough criterion to elevate an individual over the others?
2. The tendency of people to implement equality first in the hope that freedom will follow is a what?
3. De Tocqueville states that the aristocracy in America is different from traditional aristocracies because the members of the class do not share what?
4. Who does de Tocqueville believe seeks exclusive comfort?
5. According to de Tocqueville, total equality of people's condition would only be possible in a society where freedom is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
2. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
3. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
4. As men seeking equality become more alike, what is one possibility for a type of tyrannical regime in a democratic society, according to de Tocqueville?
5. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
6. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
7. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
8. Why does the military, even in a democratic society, tend to seek war?
9. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
10. What normally causes a great social revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In de Tocqueville's opinion, what is the problem with letting the majority opinion rule? What are some of its causes, effects, and consequences? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what are the differences between an aristocratic regime and a democratic regime in terms of governance? Which one does de Tocqueville think is more effective at governing and why?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)