|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, too much equality leads individuals to what?
2. What is one of the freedoms Americans have written into laws that will protect against democracy being oppression?
3. The development of industry has led to an increase in what?
4. The army of a democratic country is equated, by deTocqueville, to what?
5. What acts as a catalyst for the opinions and desires of the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
2. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
3. What does the lack of rigidity in a family relationship in a democratic society allow the family to do, according to de Tocqueville?
4. Why are democratic societies less likely to wage war?
5. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
6. How do the citizens of America see their equality when it comes to work collectively, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
7. Why does the military, even in a democratic society, tend to seek war?
8. What two concepts, though linked, should not be confounded?
9. What is the major difference between the classic aristocrat and the new aristocrat in America according to de Tocqueville?
10. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville believes that nations today (in his time) will be unable to stop the conditions of man from becoming equal. What support does he provide for this statement? Do the ideas presented in his book support his statement? Why or why not? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to de Tocqueville, what is democracy in America? What are the institutions and players in democracy, and will it be an effective form of governance for America? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)