|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The very poor and very rich are in what group in America?
2. De Tocqueville believes that there is unlikely to be a ______________ in the United States.
3. What does de Tocqueville define as a state of mental ease akin to physical and mental numbness?
4. Who is considered a member of the aristocratic class in America?
5. What produces goods and profits rapidly?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
2. What two concepts, though linked, should not be confounded?
3. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
4. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
5. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
6. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
7. What is the only great inequality that de Tocqueville sees in American society?
8. According to de Tocqueville, what political instinct have the American people developed that will counter their natural tendency towards equality?
9. Why are democratic societies less likely to wage war?
10. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is de Tocqueville's definition of a lawyer? How does a lawyer work to help secure a democracy, in de Tocqueville's view? Does the same definition and purpose apply to lawyers today? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book and present day to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, what is the main role of an independent judiciary in a democracy? What is the main role of the judiciary in America? Are the two similar or different? Use the book to provide support for your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)