Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Political associations bring together whom?
2. De Tocqueville believes that the nations of his time cannot prevent the conditions of men from becoming _________________.
3. According to De Tocqueville, all Americans seek it, but do not necessarily seek it exclusively. What is it?
4. Democracies tend to value what over liberty?
5. De Tocqueville believes that there is unlikely to be a ______________ in the United States.
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition that de Tocqueville uses for freedom of the press? Using examples from the book, what role does freedom of the press have in a democracy? What role does it have in American democracy?
Essay Topic 2
De Tocqueville presents many ways in which a democracy can protect itself from abuse. Why does de Tocqueville believe that a democracy will be abused, and what does he suggest as protection from that abuse? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
De Tocqueville states that democracy influences human relationships. In what ways does the information and ideas that de Tocqueville presents support or deny this idea? Which side do you agree with and why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)