|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the huge lands, what remained a minor enterprise when de Tocqueville was observing America?
2. The institutions of the United States tend to bring together what type of people?
3. As democratic governments evolve, they have a tendency to become what?
4. Who is considered a member of the aristocratic class in America?
5. Democracies tend to value what over liberty?
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville believes that nations today (in his time) will be unable to stop the conditions of man from becoming equal. What support does he provide for this statement? Do the ideas presented in his book support his statement? Why or why not? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is de Tocqueville's definition of religion? What role does religion play in politics, specifically in a democracy? Support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)