|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class, in America, will eventually gain the upper hand in their struggles?
2. According to de Tocqueville, comfort and other earthly pleasures are easily satisfied with what?
3. Compared to aristocratic countries, there is a tendency to do what to workers' wages in democratic countries?
4. De Tocqueville believes that people must exercise their political freedom by what?
5. According to de Tocqueville, what drives the actions of every American man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following ideas as de Tocqueville uses them in his explanation and exploration of democracy:
i. servitude and individuality
ii. despotism and tyranny
iii. oppression and freedom.
Essay Topic 3
According to de Tocqueville, what is democracy in America? What are the institutions and players in democracy, and will it be an effective form of governance for America? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)