|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of equality, Americans share similar education and what?
2. Equality of conditions means there are no a priori what in America?
3. What alone, according to de Tocqueville, is not a strong enough criterion to elevate an individual over the others?
4. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, what is the surest and fastest way to destroy liberty?
5. According to de Tocqueville, Americans seek ______________, but only within a narrow range.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
2. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
3. In de Tocqueville's observations, how do Americans act when they meet with strangers outside their borders?
4. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
5. What is the only great inequality that de Tocqueville sees in American society?
6. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
7. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
8. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
9. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
10. As men seeking equality become more alike, what is one possibility for a type of tyrannical regime in a democratic society, according to de Tocqueville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what is the main role of an independent judiciary in a democracy? What is the main role of the judiciary in America? Are the two similar or different? Use the book to provide support for your answer.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)