|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Civil associations are often born out of what?
2. De Tocqueville believes that people must exercise their political freedom by what?
3. "A priori" means what?
4. According to de Tocqueville, too much equality leads individuals to what?
5. According to de Tocqueville, too much emphasis on equality leads to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are democratic societies less likely to wage war?
2. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
3. In de Tocqueville's observations, how do Americans act when they meet with strangers outside their borders?
4. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
5. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
6. As men seeking equality become more alike, what is one possibility for a type of tyrannical regime in a democratic society, according to de Tocqueville?
7. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
8. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
9. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
10. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville believes that democracy counters individualism by ensuring that common good is understood as profiting everyone in the community. In what ways do the structures, people, and ideas de Tocqueville presents in the book affirm that idea? In what ways do they not support the idea? Which is a more convincing argument and why? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, what are the differences between an aristocratic regime and a democratic regime in terms of governance? Which one does de Tocqueville think is more effective at governing and why?
Essay Topic 3
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)