|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is de Tocqueville writing this book?
2. De Tocqueville believes wars will become rarer as _______ expands.
3. In America, what type of rank cannot be distinguished immediately?
4. De Tocqueville states that the aristocracy in America is different from traditional aristocracies because the members of the class do not share what?
5. Repetitive tasks give workers an inability to change what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
2. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
3. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
4. According to de Tocqueville, what political instinct have the American people developed that will counter their natural tendency towards equality?
5. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
6. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
7. In what situation would total equality of the people's condition be possible?
8. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
9. What is the major difference between the classic aristocrat and the new aristocrat in America according to de Tocqueville?
10. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville states that democracy influences human relationships. In what ways does the information and ideas that de Tocqueville presents support or deny this idea? Which side do you agree with and why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, where does authority originate from in America as opposed to in an aristocratic regimen? How does this influence the structure and behavior of a democracy as compared to an aristocracy?
Essay Topic 3
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)