|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the huge lands, what remained a minor enterprise when de Tocqueville was observing America?
2. What is an immediate danger to democracy?
3. The separation between the workmen and the owners has created a new aristocracy based on what?
4. The very poor and very rich are in what group in America?
5. American people get richer through peaceful trading and manufacturing instead of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, what political instinct have the American people developed that will counter their natural tendency towards equality?
2. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
3. How do the citizens of America see their equality when it comes to work collectively, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
4. When the people feel more equal, what are some other side effects?
5. As men seeking equality become more alike, what is one possibility for a type of tyrannical regime in a democratic society, according to de Tocqueville?
6. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
7. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
8. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
9. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
10. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the historical influences that have shaped American democracy as de Tocqueville explains it? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition that de Tocqueville uses for freedom of the press? Using examples from the book, what role does freedom of the press have in a democracy? What role does it have in American democracy?
Essay Topic 3
What is liberty? What is equality? How are the two ideas interlinked, and what does that mean for democracy? Please support your answer using examples from the book.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)