|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. De Tocqueville believes that it depends on the individual whether equality leads them to knowledge or _______________.
2. When people are concerned about indulging their need for immediate and orderly comfort, they exercise what?
3. De Tocqueville believes that people must exercise their political freedom by what?
4. The tendency of Americans to behave differently towards outsiders is sometimes known as what?
5. The army of a democratic country is equated, by deTocqueville, to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
2. What does the lack of rigidity in a family relationship in a democratic society allow the family to do, according to de Tocqueville?
3. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
4. When the people feel more equal, what are some other side effects?
5. What is the only great inequality that de Tocqueville sees in American society?
6. Why are democratic societies less likely to wage war?
7. What two concepts, though linked, should not be confounded?
8. How do the citizens of America see their equality when it comes to work collectively, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
9. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
10. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does democracy promote simplification? How does democracy promote complexities? What are the consequences of each? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, where does authority originate from in America as opposed to in an aristocratic regimen? How does this influence the structure and behavior of a democracy as compared to an aristocracy?
Essay Topic 3
According to de Tocqueville, what is democracy in America? What are the institutions and players in democracy, and will it be an effective form of governance for America? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)