Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Political associations bring together whom?
2. De Tocqueville believes that the nations of his time cannot prevent the conditions of men from becoming _________________.
3. According to De Tocqueville, all Americans seek it, but do not necessarily seek it exclusively. What is it?
4. Democracies tend to value what over liberty?
5. De Tocqueville believes that there is unlikely to be a ______________ in the United States.
Essay Topic 1
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is de Tocqueville's definition of a lawyer? How does a lawyer work to help secure a democracy, in de Tocqueville's view? Does the same definition and purpose apply to lawyers today? Why or why not? Cite examples from the book and present day to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what is tyranny, and how does democracy fight it?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)