|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Political associations combat what?
2. Despite the huge lands, what remained a minor enterprise when de Tocqueville was observing America?
3. Political associations bring together whom?
4. The very poor and very rich are in what group in America?
5. The small variations in manners between Americans and others are interpreted, by Americans, as an expression of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major difference between the classic aristocrat and the new aristocrat in America according to de Tocqueville?
2. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
3. How is the division of labor in the industries in the United States divided?
4. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
5. According to de Tocqueville, what do citizens of the United States think would replace democracy if democracy failed in America?
6. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
7. What do rising wages for workers mean?
8. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
9. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
10. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to de Tocqueville, power is divided between the federal government and the states. What aspects of American democracy has de Tocqueville shown where this is true? What are some instances that he has shown where this is not true? What effects does this division have on democracy in America? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is liberty? What is equality? How are the two ideas interlinked, and what does that mean for democracy? Please support your answer using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does de Tocqueville define a political association? What role does association have in democracy as de Tocqueville presents it? Is that the same role it has today? Explain your answer using specific examples from today and the book.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)