|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Governmental power in America is highly ______________.
2. As democratic governments evolve, they have a tendency to become what?
3. Workmen, in America, can be replaced how?
4. According to De Tocqueville, all Americans seek it, but do not necessarily seek it exclusively. What is it?
5. Political associations exist at the national level and are most effective at what level?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
2. What two concepts, though linked, should not be confounded?
3. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
4. What is the only great inequality that de Tocqueville sees in American society?
5. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
6. What normally causes a great social revolution?
7. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
8. What is the major difference between the classic aristocrat and the new aristocrat in America according to de Tocqueville?
9. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
10. According to de Tocqueville, what political instinct have the American people developed that will counter their natural tendency towards equality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville presents many ways in which a democracy can protect itself from abuse. Why does de Tocqueville believe that a democracy will be abused, and what does he suggest as protection from that abuse? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
De Tocqueville believes that nations today (in his time) will be unable to stop the conditions of man from becoming equal. What support does he provide for this statement? Do the ideas presented in his book support his statement? Why or why not? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what is the main role of an independent judiciary in a democracy? What is the main role of the judiciary in America? Are the two similar or different? Use the book to provide support for your answer.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)