|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cupidity means what?
2. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides the people of America with a set of beliefs that does what?
3. De Tocqueville believes that the democratic writer has less to write about, but the writings are ________, when compared to aristocratic writings.
4. Because the settlers imported most of their technical knowledge, when they got to America they only had to do what?
5. According to de Tocqueville, equality can enable what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the American writer find poetry, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
2. According to de Tocqueville, in a democracy, the people take special interest in the affairs of the government for what reason?
3. On what single principle does democracy, as a political system, rely?
4. Why, according to de Tocqueville, does the American writer write?
5. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides what to Americans?
6. What is the unusual political power, based on the Constitution, that the American judicial system holds?
7. What are some of the suggestions that equality makes to the beliefs of the American people?
8. Why, in America, would it be hard for a democratic government to exercise tyrannical authority?
9. What, according to the author, are some of the downsides of democracy?
10. What laws prevailed as the basis of the developing democratic society in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
De Tocqueville states that democracy influences human relationships. In what ways does the information and ideas that de Tocqueville presents support or deny this idea? Which side do you agree with and why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is de Tocqueville writing this book, and for whom is he writing the book? Of what is he trying to convince his audience? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is liberty? What is equality? How are the two ideas interlinked, and what does that mean for democracy? Please support your answer using examples from the book.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)