|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When American writers exaggerate the importance of a subject, de Tocqueville says it gets lost in what?
2. After what event was the sovereignty of the people codified in law?
3. What type of regime did de Tocqueville study in America?
4. On what type of sovereignty does democracy rely?
5. Freedom of the press is described as what type of weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the suggestions that equality makes to the beliefs of the American people?
2. What did the government establish in order to maintain the balance of power between the Confederation and the states when the rights of the states were questioned?
3. De Tocqueville believes that, under a monarchic regime, patriotism is expressed by the pride of the people in what?
4. Although religion remains out of the realm of politics according to de Tocqueville's observations, what political effect does religion have?
5. What, according to the author, are some of the downsides of democracy?
6. According to the author, what is the reason free people obey laws?
7. Why does de Tocqueville believe that freedom of opinion is practically non-existent in the United States?
8. Why does the minority recognize the decision and rights of the majority in America, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
9. Why, in America, would it be hard for a democratic government to exercise tyrannical authority?
10. What does equality among the people trigger, in addition to innovation, according to de Tocqueville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, what are the differences between an aristocratic regime and a democratic regime in terms of governance? Which one does de Tocqueville think is more effective at governing and why?
Essay Topic 2
In de Tocqueville's opinion, what is the problem with letting the majority opinion rule? What are some of its causes, effects, and consequences? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
De Tocqueville believes that democracy counters individualism by ensuring that common good is understood as profiting everyone in the community. In what ways do the structures, people, and ideas de Tocqueville presents in the book affirm that idea? In what ways do they not support the idea? Which is a more convincing argument and why? Support your answers with examples from the book.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)