|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's observations, aristocratic societies make countless _____________ available between man and God.
2. According to de Tocqueville, the population of America is typically oblivious to the development of what?
3. In de Tocqueville's observations, the patriotism of Americans is more akin to cupidity than to what?
4. Because of the generally accepted principle of equality among Americans, according to de Tocqueville they are less likely to accept what?
5. Historians in the United States believe that nations are driven by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides what to Americans?
2. What is one of the drawbacks to de Tocqueville's view of the American approach to literature and poetry?
3. De Tocqueville believes that, under a monarchic regime, patriotism is expressed by the pride of the people in what?
4. What did the government establish in order to maintain the balance of power between the Confederation and the states when the rights of the states were questioned?
5. Why does the minority recognize the decision and rights of the majority in America, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
6. After the American Revolutionary war, the government defined, very precisely, the powers that belonged to whom?
7. According to the author, what is the reason free people obey laws?
8. What is the unusual political power, based on the Constitution, that the American judicial system holds?
9. Why, in America, would it be hard for a democratic government to exercise tyrannical authority?
10. What is the definition of a regime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, where does authority originate from in America as opposed to in an aristocratic regimen? How does this influence the structure and behavior of a democracy as compared to an aristocracy?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, what is tyranny, and how does democracy fight it?
Essay Topic 3
In de Tocqueville's opinion, what is the problem with letting the majority opinion rule? What are some of its causes, effects, and consequences? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)