|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of impact does the American press have on its people?
2. What does de Tocqueville say religion participates in keeping the social effects of on a leash?
3. About what does de Tocqueville believe aristocrats are busy writing?
(c) Unique nations.
(d) Mundane matters.
4. In de Tocqueville's observations, aristocratic societies make countless _____________ available between man and God.
(c) Methods of communication.
5. To a democratic writer, truth cannot emanate from a human simply because the human does what?
(a) Holds power.
(b) Has logic.
(d) Is of the majority.
Short Answer Questions
1. Historians in the United States believe that nations are driven by what?
2. The democratic writer assumes that man is what?
3. In times of peace, what has more power than the President?
4. Instead of being driven by man, events--according to a democratic writer--are driven by what?
5. How does de Tocqueville characterize political parties?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, in a democracy, the people take special interest in the affairs of the government for what reason?
2. After the American Revolutionary war, the government defined, very precisely, the powers that belonged to whom?
3. What is the definition of a regime?
4. What does de Tocqueville believe is the logic that is followed when people adopt the authority of the majority?
5. Why does de Tocqueville believe that freedom of opinion is practically non-existent in the United States?
6. De Tocqueville believes that political parties are what to democratic societies?
7. What are some of the suggestions that equality makes to the beliefs of the American people?
8. According to de Tocqueville, why does the United States only produce journalistic literature?
9. What does de Tocqueville analyze in his book?
10. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides what to Americans?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)