|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does de Tocqueville state that the United States does not produce a valuable body?
2. Freedom of the press is described as what type of weapon?
(b) Two-edged sword.
3. De Tocqueville believes that Americans have little means of discussing opinions outside the range of those entertained by whom?
(a) The vocal minority.
(b) Those in political power.
(c) The majority.
(d) The ruling class.
4. What feeds on ignorance, according to the Puritans' religious views?
(c) The devil.
5. The balancing act that the three branches of government perform on each other is referred to as what?
(b) Freedom from tyranny.
(c) Opposing powers.
(d) Checks and balances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does de Tocqueville say the American writer sees himself as?
2. Democratic regimes value what over heroism?
3. Materialism and _______ are part of the consequences of a perceived equality of conditions.
4. Religion and politics do what, in American life?
5. Democratic regimes will value general well-being over what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unusual political power, based on the Constitution, that the American judicial system holds?
2. Americans want to explain everything through human intelligence and leave the rest to be explained by what, according to de Tocqueville?
3. After the American Revolutionary war, the government defined, very precisely, the powers that belonged to whom?
4. What, according to the author, are some of the downsides of democracy?
5. What laws prevailed as the basis of the developing democratic society in the United States?
6. De Tocqueville believes that political parties are what to democratic societies?
7. Why does de Tocqueville believe that freedom of opinion is practically non-existent in the United States?
8. Why does the minority recognize the decision and rights of the majority in America, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
9. Before the American Revolution, what were the two great political parties in the United States and what were their aims?
10. De Tocqueville believes that, under a monarchic regime, patriotism is expressed by the pride of the people in what?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)