|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of people are educated and serve to bring reason to debates through logic?
2. What is one of the best safeguards against potential tyranny of the majority in America?
(a) The media.
(b) The judicial system.
(c) The balance of power.
(d) The press.
3. De Tocqueville believes that the democratic writer has less to write about, but the writings are ________, when compared to aristocratic writings.
(a) Of greater volume.
(b) Of greater subjects.
(c) Of greater importance.
(d) Of greater need.
4. By excluding minorities from power, what does de Tocqueville believe will happen?
(a) The minority will revolt against the majority.
(b) The foundation of democracy will be endangered.
(c) The foundations of the Constitution will be violated.
(d) A new type of democratic rule will emerge.
5. What kind of literature does America produce?
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristocratic regimes in Europe put the wealth into the hands of whom?
2. De Tocqueville writes that Americans tend to reject all external human authority and rely, instead, on what?
3. De Tocqueville compares equality to what weapon?
4. What is one of the branches of government?
5. Freedom of the press is described as what type of weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does de Tocqueville analyze in his book?
2. What laws prevailed as the basis of the developing democratic society in the United States?
3. Why, in America, would it be hard for a democratic government to exercise tyrannical authority?
4. Although religion remains out of the realm of politics according to de Tocqueville's observations, what political effect does religion have?
5. What does de Tocqueville believe is the logic that is followed when people adopt the authority of the majority?
6. What is one of the drawbacks to de Tocqueville's view of the American approach to literature and poetry?
7. According to de Tocqueville, what are the differences between the American and European press?
8. What is the unusual political power, based on the Constitution, that the American judicial system holds?
9. According to de Tocqueville, why does the United States only produce journalistic literature?
10. Where does the American writer find poetry, according to de Tocqueville's observations?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)