|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The small variations in manners between Americans and others are interpreted, by Americans, as an expression of what?
(a) Moral superiority.
(c) Social superiority.
2. Workmen, in America, can be replaced how?
(a) Not at all.
(b) In extreme circumstances.
(c) With difficulty.
(d) At will.
3. What does de Tocqueville see as the primary danger of democracy?
(a) Democratic despotism.
(b) Lack of community in a democracy.
(c) Democratic freedom.
(d) Freedom of expression.
4. When people are concerned about indulging their need for immediate and orderly comfort, they exercise what?
(a) Moral self-restraint.
(b) Absolute freedom.
(d) Excessive pleasure.
5. In America, citizens have a right to what kind of associations?
6. What requires years of hard and dedicated work before yielding a profit?
(d) Scholarly works.
7. Isolation increases the dangers of what?
(a) Absolute power.
(d) A dangerous leader.
8. Democracy influences the citizens' political views and what other types of views?
9. When compared to women in a traditional aristocratic regime, de Tocqueville says American women are more _________.
10. De Tocqueville observes that in times of peace, the quality of a military in a democracy does what?
11. What alone, according to de Tocqueville, is not a strong enough criterion to elevate an individual over the others?
12. The separation between the workmen and the owners has created a new aristocracy based on what?
13. De Tocqueville states that the aristocracy in America is different from traditional aristocracies because the members of the class do not share what?
(a) Family relationships.
(b) Political goals.
14. According to de Tocqueville, what drives the actions of every American man?
15. What is the main difference between a democratic tyranny and a monarchical tyranny?
(a) A democratic tyranny is harder to diagnose.
(b) A democratic tyranny is a tyranny of one.
(c) A democratic tyranny is a tyranny of the majority.
(d) A democratic tyranny is more difficult to counter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Democracy tightens social ties as it loosens what?
2. The tendency of people to implement equality first in the hope that freedom will follow is a what?
3. The institutions of the United States tend to bring together what type of people?
4. De Tocqueville believes that revolutions are generally the result of the people's desire to eliminate what?
5. In what country is every aspect of society in constant movement?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)