|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Limiting the right of association would be what to a democratic society?
2. What does de Tocqueville maintain as a greater threat than anarchy?
(a) Limited freedom.
(b) Loss of equality.
(c) Despotic government.
(d) Loss of liberty.
3. Democracies tend to value what over liberty?
(a) Political association.
4. De Tocqueville observes that, while traveling outside their own country, Americans tend to travel with signs associated with _______________?
(a) Higher ranked scholarly pursuits.
(b) Higher ranked political offices.
(c) Higher ranked industrial activities.
(d) Higher ranked aristocrats.
5. Governmental power in America is highly ______________.
6. When compared to women in a traditional aristocratic regime, de Tocqueville says American women are more _________.
7. The desire for immediate gratification led the people of America to what?
8. What type of regime does de Tocqueville believe is more oppressive than a dictatorship?
(a) A tyrannical monarchy.
(b) A despotic monarchy.
(c) A tyrannical democracy.
(d) A despotic democracy.
9. In America, young men are given freedom when they reach what age?
10. In America, what did people have before they had equality of conditions?
(b) Freedom of association.
(d) Right of association.
11. For whom is de Tocqueville writing this book?
(a) The European aristocracy.
(b) The European scholars.
(c) The European revolutionaries.
(d) The European monarchs.
12. The threat of a despotic government is greater in democratic societies because the power of the government is what, according to de Tocqueville?
(b) Almost unlimited.
13. What did the American people write?
(a) The laws governing relationships.
(b) The laws of their country.
(c) The laws governing their attitudes.
(d) The laws of interactions.
14. Political associations exist at the national level and are most effective at what level?
(a) The state level.
(b) The national level.
(c) The local level.
(d) The township level.
15. Political associations bring together whom?
(a) The political elite.
(b) The feelings and opinion of the voters.
(c) The electorate.
(d) The feelings and opinions of men.
Short Answer Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's observations, the economic class of an individual may confer on him several privileges, but there are no _______________ attached to those privileges.
2. As democratic governments evolve, they have a tendency to become what?
3. Repetitive tasks give workers an inability to change what?
4. De Tocqueville believes wars will become rarer as _______ expands.
5. According to de Tocqueville, when men seek more equality and comfort, what do they tend to become?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)