|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 4: Chapter 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. De Tocqueville states that the aristocracy in America is different from traditional aristocracies because the members of the class do not share what?
(b) Political goals.
(c) Family relationships.
2. Historians in the United States believe that nations are driven by what?
(b) Collective events.
(c) Singular events.
(d) Particular individuals.
3. Compared to aristocratic countries, there is a tendency to do what to workers' wages in democratic countries?
(a) Tie them to skills.
(b) Raise them.
(c) Tie them to experience.
(d) Lower them.
4. According to de Tocqueville, in America men obey what?
(b) Divine authority.
(c) Justice and laws.
(d) Secular authority.
5. Democracy counters individualism by insuring that common good is understood as what?
(a) Profiting everyone in the community.
(b) Profiting everyone who depends on each other.
(c) Profiting everyone who participates in the process.
(d) Profiting everyone who behaves as if he or she is free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alone, according to de Tocqueville, is not a strong enough criterion to elevate an individual over the others?
2. According to de Tocqueville, Americans seek ______________, but only within a narrow range.
3. Aristocratic regimes in Europe put the wealth into the hands of whom?
4. De Tocqueville believes that democracy provides an authority of its own by replacing the certitudes of the intellectual with what?
5. When were the first colonies established?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)