|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 3: Chapter 1-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's analysis, sovereignty flows in what direction?
(a) From the state to the people.
(b) From the federal government to the state.
(c) From the people to the state.
(d) From the people to the military.
2. Under aristocratic regimes, privileges are set by what?
3. What is an essential tool for maintaining liberty?
(a) Freedom of religion.
(b) Freedom of the press.
(c) Protection of the press.
(d) Protection of the First Amendment.
4. De Tocqueville observed that Americans like to explain everything as a result of human what?
5. What is one of the best safeguards against potential tyranny of the majority in America?
(a) The press.
(b) The judicial system.
(c) The balance of power.
(d) The media.
Short Answer Questions
1. Political associations bring together whom?
2. The balancing act that the three branches of government perform on each other is referred to as what?
3. The relationship of the American aristocrat and workman is likened to a traditional aristocrat and what, according to de Tocqueville?
4. Compared to the European system, de Tocqueville says the America court system is what?
5. How is scientific research being driven in America at the time de Tocqueville is observing American democracy?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)