|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 2: Chapter 10-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a democracy, people take a special interest in the affairs of the state in order to do what?
(a) Obtain a political position.
(b) Be one of the people in power.
(c) Participate in power and its outcomes.
(d) Participate in the political process.
2. Of what does de Tocqueville state that the United States does not produce a valuable body?
3. What requires years of hard and dedicated work before yielding a profit?
(d) Scholarly works.
4. Repetitive tasks give workers an inability to change what?
(a) The economic situations of their families.
(b) Their skills.
(c) Their jobs.
(d) The conditions in which they work.
5. The development of industry has led to an increase in what?
(a) Working mothers.
(b) Division of labor.
(c) Repetitive tasks.
(d) Working poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. De Tocqueville observed that Americans like to explain everything as a result of human what?
2. Where were the first colonies established?
3. Instead of being driven by man, events--according to a democratic writer--are driven by what?
4. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides the people of America with a set of beliefs that does what?
5. When American writers exaggerate the importance of a subject, de Tocqueville says it gets lost in what?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)