|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 1: Chapter 1-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. De Tocqueville observes that judges are not elected, but are what?
2. What does de Tocqueville observe that the principle of equality has created an extraordinary sense of in the American people?
3. In a democracy, people take a special interest in the affairs of the state in order to do what?
(a) Participate in the political process.
(b) Participate in power and its outcomes.
(c) Be one of the people in power.
(d) Obtain a political position.
4. What year was de Tocqueville's voyage to the United States?
5. According to de Tocqueville, in America men obey what?
(a) Divine authority.
(c) Secular authority.
(d) Justice and laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, governments typically perish because they lead their country into a state of anarchy or what?
2. Freedom of the press is described as what type of weapon?
3. Democracy is a catalyst for what?
4. Religion and the constant drive for ___________ are the main barriers to the development of independent arts and science in the United States, according to de Tocqueville.
5. De Tocqueville believes that Americans have little means of discussing opinions outside the range of those entertained by whom?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)