|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 1: Chapter 1-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. De Tocqueville compares equality to what weapon?
(a) A bow and arrow.
(b) A double-edged sword.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A spear.
2. In de Tocqueville's observations, what is something the federal government is allowed to do?
(a) Create infrastructure.
(b) Manage education.
(c) Manage health care.
3. Judges are accountable to what?
(a) The laws they make.
(b) The people who elected them.
(c) The laws they are representing.
(d) The people who appointed them.
4. In a democracy, people take a special interest in the affairs of the state in order to do what?
(a) Participate in power and its outcomes.
(b) Obtain a political position.
(c) Participate in the political process.
(d) Be one of the people in power.
5. Lawyers are connected to the aristocracy by their personal interest and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. De Tocqueville believes that democracy provides an authority of its own by replacing the certitudes of the intellectual with what?
2. The New World is considered to be what, geographically, to the rest of the world?
3. After what event was the sovereignty of the people codified in law?
4. The right of political association originally came from where?
5. Democratic regimes will value general well-being over what?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)