|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 1: Chapter 1-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people in a democracy instinctively acknowledge that the interest of the many is more valuable than that of whom?
(a) A small but active minority.
(b) A privileged few.
(c) The monarchy.
(d) The wealthy.
2. Equality among people triggers innovation and intellectual what, in de Tocqueville's observations?
3. In a democracy, people take a special interest in the affairs of the state in order to do what?
(a) Participate in power and its outcomes.
(b) Be one of the people in power.
(c) Participate in the political process.
(d) Obtain a political position.
4. Because of the generally accepted principle of equality among Americans, according to de Tocqueville they are less likely to accept what?
(a) Traditional ideas.
(b) Traditional reasoning.
(c) Historical logic.
(d) Historical evidence.
5. Democracy promotes spending energy on what types of tasks?
Short Answer Questions
1. Religion and politics do what, in American life?
2. Democratic regimes will value general well-being over what?
3. What year was de Tocqueville's voyage to the United States?
4. What feeds on ignorance, according to the Puritans' religious views?
5. When were the first colonies established?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)