|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Robert kill Faith?
2. Where was Faith's body discovered?
3. What does Helen say is the true meaning behind eye for an eye?
4. What is the nickname for the electric chair?
5. What bad news does Robert receive in November?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does John Croft give Helen and Millard about Robert's hearing?
2. What was Robert WIllie's crime?
3. What does Robert say he can't understand about Helen?
4. How have Elizabeth and Vernon's life been difficult since the death of Faith?
5. What does Helen learn from the newspaper account of Robert's trial?
6. Why does Howard say he continued to accept the bribes?
7. How does Helen reassure Robert about his mother's feelings?
8. What controversial views does Robert view before his execution?
9. How does Robert want to prove himself to his mother?
10. What do the public think about Helen's involvement in Patrick's execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Helen's upbringing? How does Helen's upbringing differ from Robert's and Patrick's? How is a person's upbringing responsible for the person he/she becomes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd LeBlanc feel it important to forgive Patrick? How does forgiving him so easily help him get over his daughter's death?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)