|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing a prisoners has to read in the hole?
2. What does Millard say 99% of death row inmates are?
3. What part of their body did the Heel String Gang slit?
4. Who does Helen note cried at Patrick's execution?
5. What do the guards say they want nothing to with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the governor refuse to interfere with Patrick's execution?
2. Why does Millard think there are seldom rich people on Death Row?
3. What memories does Patrick have of his father?
4. Why does Helen think Patrick says another to Mr. Borque?
5. What does Patrick do just before his death?
6. What does Helen say she thinks about the pardon board in this section?
7. What is Patrick angry about in this section?
8. What mistakes does Millard say Patrick's lawyer made?
9. What does Helen state about the love between her and Patrick?
10. What problems does Helen have with the priest who interviews her before she visits Patrick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Patrick barred from attending his own hearing? What difference would it have made if he attended? What kind of person do you think Patrick would have become if he was allowed to live?
Essay Topic 2
What was Patrick's motives for killing the couple? Would Patrick and his brother have committed such a crime if they were living in better circumstances? Does such a a crime deserves the electric chair?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)