|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Patrick's daughter?
2. What is the title of Albert Camus' essay on capital punishment?
3. How does Partick try to kill himself?
4. Who does Prejean think she has betrayed by befriending Patrick?
5. What does Helen have to get out of the car to do as she leaves Death Row?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the governor refuse to interfere with Patrick's execution?
2. What problems does Helen have with the priest who interviews her before she visits Patrick?
3. Why does Helen think Patrick says another to Mr. Borque?
4. What mistakes does Millard say Patrick's lawyer made?
5. How does Helen say her views on Patrick's execution have changed since ten years ago?
6. Why is Patrick in jail?
7. What does Helen say she thinks about the pardon board in this section?
8. What is Helen's opinions of Patrick after her first visit with him?
9. How does Lloyd LeBlanc make Helen question herself?
10. How does Patrick's situation change on August 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Helen's upbringing? How does Helen's upbringing differ from Robert's and Patrick's? How is a person's upbringing responsible for the person he/she becomes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does politics play in Death Row? How can it affect the person's sentence? How can politics be prevented in interfering in execution cases?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)