|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lifetime prisoner does Helen try to indicate Patrick would make?
2. Who does Millard say is the answer to Patrick's situation?
3. What has to happen for death by electric chair to be immediate?
4. What does Patrick mouth to Helen before he dies?
5. What does Helen tell Patrick he will leave life with if he says anything negative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patrick do just before his death?
2. What does Helen say she thinks about the pardon board in this section?
3. Why is Patrick in jail?
4. How does Lloyd LeBlanc make Helen question herself?
5. Why does the governor refuse to interfere with Patrick's execution?
6. What does Helen state about the love between her and Patrick?
7. Why does Helen think Patrick heeds her word and not leaving life with hatred in his heart?
8. What is Patrick angry about in this section?
9. How does Helen say her views on Patrick's execution have changed since ten years ago?
10. How does Helen force the prison to relax their rules on giving visitors food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Helen have with Robert? How does it affect her relationship with him?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What is Helen's relationship with Vernon? How does Vernon help to balance Helen's views on the death penalty? Why does Elizabeth see her as the only person who can bring back his will to live?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)