|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
2. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
3. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
4. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
2. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
5. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
6. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
7. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
8. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
9. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
10. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
Essay Topic 2
Angels are mentioned throughout the text of Dark Night of the Soul and have specific qualities described by St. John. Please respond to the following with examples from the text that support your answer:
1) How are angels portrayed in the text with similar qualities as humans?
2) How does an angel become closer to God in spirituality?
3) What do both angels and humans experience which provides them with a commonality?
Essay Topic 3
The seven deadly sins recognized by the Catholic Church are said to be an evil influence in a beginning Christian's life. St. John wrote how a new believer was strongly influenced by these sins in Dark Night of the Soul. Write an essay answering the following with support:
1) What are the seven deadly sins that plague a beginning Christian's life as described by St. John?
2) How do these sins influence the way a person acts in relationship to one's faith in Christianity?
3) How are these sins overcome in a person's life?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)