Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
2. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
Essay Topic 1
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 2
The sensual, natural part of man must be put to rest for the soul to achieve unification with God's love, according to Dark Night of the Soul. Please answer the following with support from the text:
1) How does St. John compare the sensual part of a man to that of a house at rest?
2) Why is it required for a man to put the sensual part of himself to rest before being able to enter into unification with God?
3) How does the sensual part of a man make him a "prisoner"?
Essay Topic 3
There are ten steps on the secret ladder of spirituality, as described by St. John in Dark Night of the Soul. The soul begins to climb this ladder after passing the dark night. Respond to the following questions with examples that support your answer:
1) From where does the imagery of the spiritual ladder come?
2) What are the ten steps on the ladder?
3) How does a soul reach the last step on the ladder? What does that say about the divine properties of the ladder?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)