|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
2. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
3. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
4. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
5. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
2. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
4. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
5. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
6. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
7. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
8. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
9. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
10. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The use of analogies within Dark Night of the Soul is abundant. St. John often re-describes his explanations by comparing the experience with an analogy. By using support from the text, respond with an essay to the following:
1) Name and define at least three analogies used within Dark Night of the Soul.
2) What is the author's purpose in using analogies within his writing? What does the reader gain from reading the analogies?
Essay Topic 3
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)