|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
3. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
4. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIV, in what state is the soul when the soul is united with divine wisdom after passing through the dark night?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
2. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
3. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
4. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
5. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
6. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
7. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
8. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
9. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
10. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
While a believer is on the secret ladder of spirituality, the soul must wear a disguise. St. John is very specific in his depiction of the disguise and its purpose. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What is the purpose of the disguise the soul wears while on the ladder? Can a soul reach unity with God without wearing a disguise?
2) List and define the different layers of the disguise as related by St. John.
3) What do each color and layer of the disguise represent?
Essay Topic 3
The knowledge and the experience of the dark night, as well as the ladder of spirituality, are considered secret. These occurrences are even defined as indescribable. With supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Why are the experiences of the dark night and the ladder of spirituality labeled as secret?
2) How does a person learn of the secret things from God? How does God leave no trail of his teachings?
3) Why are there no words to describe the learning the soul gains after passing through the dark night?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)