|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
3. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
4. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
5. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
2. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
3. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
4. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
6. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
7. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
8. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
9. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
10. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 3
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)