Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
2. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
Essay Topic 1
There are many benefits a soul will gain when first entering into the dark night. The lessons that the soul is taught during this time is the way to unification with God. Using supporting examples, answer the following questions:
1) What does the soul learn while first entering into the dark night?
2) What is the benefit of a soul understanding it is weak and miserable?
3) What does the phrase "growing up in Christ" mean in relation to the soul?
Essay Topic 2
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
Essay Topic 3
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)