Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
2. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
While a believer is on the secret ladder of spirituality, the soul must wear a disguise. St. John is very specific in his depiction of the disguise and its purpose. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What is the purpose of the disguise the soul wears while on the ladder? Can a soul reach unity with God without wearing a disguise?
2) List and define the different layers of the disguise as related by St. John.
3) What do each color and layer of the disguise represent?
The use of analogies within Dark Night of the Soul is abundant. St. John often re-describes his explanations by comparing the experience with an analogy. By using support from the text, respond with an essay to the following:
1) Name and define at least three analogies used within Dark Night of the Soul.
2) What is the author's purpose in using analogies within his writing? What does the reader gain from reading the analogies?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)