|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
2. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
3. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
4. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
5. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
2. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
4. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
6. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
7. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
8. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
9. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
10. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 2
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
St. John describes two different types of imperfections that proficient Christians are troubled by; these must be removed during the dark night. Using examples from the text, respond to the following questions:
1) What are the two types of imperfections a proficient Christian suffers from?
2) Which imperfection is disastrous for the soul and leaves the soul open to evil influence?
3) Which imperfection can be removed from the spirit during the dark night? Why must it be removed before emerging from the dark night?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)