|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
2. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
4. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
5. How does the author conclude his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
4. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
5. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
6. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
7. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
8. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
9. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
10. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
Essay Topic 2
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 3
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)