|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
2. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
3. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
4. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
5. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
Essay Topic 1
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
Essay Topic 3
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)