|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIV, in what state is the soul when the soul is united with divine wisdom after passing through the dark night?
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
3. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
4. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
5. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
Essay Topic 1
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
Essay Topic 3
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)