|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
2. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
5. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
2. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
3. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
4. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
5. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
6. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
7. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
8. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
9. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
10. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The seven deadly sins recognized by the Catholic Church are said to be an evil influence in a beginning Christian's life. St. John wrote how a new believer was strongly influenced by these sins in Dark Night of the Soul. Write an essay answering the following with support:
1) What are the seven deadly sins that plague a beginning Christian's life as described by St. John?
2) How do these sins influence the way a person acts in relationship to one's faith in Christianity?
3) How are these sins overcome in a person's life?
Essay Topic 2
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
Essay Topic 3
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)