|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
2. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
3. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
5. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
2. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
3. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
4. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
6. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
7. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
8. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
9. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
10. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
Essay Topic 2
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The use of analogies within Dark Night of the Soul is abundant. St. John often re-describes his explanations by comparing the experience with an analogy. By using support from the text, respond with an essay to the following:
1) Name and define at least three analogies used within Dark Night of the Soul.
2) What is the author's purpose in using analogies within his writing? What does the reader gain from reading the analogies?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)