|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
2. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
3. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
4. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
5. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sensual, natural part of man must be put to rest for the soul to achieve unification with God's love, according to Dark Night of the Soul. Please answer the following with support from the text:
1) How does St. John compare the sensual part of a man to that of a house at rest?
2) Why is it required for a man to put the sensual part of himself to rest before being able to enter into unification with God?
3) How does the sensual part of a man make him a "prisoner"?
Essay Topic 2
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
This section contains 1,910 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)