Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
2. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
Essay Topic 1
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 2
Angels are mentioned throughout the text of Dark Night of the Soul and have specific qualities described by St. John. Please respond to the following with examples from the text that support your answer:
1) How are angels portrayed in the text with similar qualities as humans?
2) How does an angel become closer to God in spirituality?
3) What do both angels and humans experience which provides them with a commonality?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of the dark night was originally expressed in St. John's poem "The Stanzas of the Soul" which he expounds upon in Dark Night of the Soul. Answer the following questions with support from the text:
1) How does "The Stanzas of the Soul" influence the way Dark Night of the Soul is written?
2) How does the imagery of the poem aid the reader in understanding Dark Night of the Soul?
3) How does the poetic imagery of the poem portray the dark night differently than the text in Dark Night of the Soul?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)