|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
2. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
3. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
4. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
5. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
6. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
7. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
8. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
9. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
10. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
Essay Topic 3
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)