|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
2. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
4. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
5. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
2. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
3. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
4. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
5. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
6. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
7. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
8. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
9. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
10. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of the dark night was originally expressed in St. John's poem "The Stanzas of the Soul" which he expounds upon in Dark Night of the Soul. Answer the following questions with support from the text:
1) How does "The Stanzas of the Soul" influence the way Dark Night of the Soul is written?
2) How does the imagery of the poem aid the reader in understanding Dark Night of the Soul?
3) How does the poetic imagery of the poem portray the dark night differently than the text in Dark Night of the Soul?
Essay Topic 2
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
Essay Topic 3
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)