|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
3. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
4. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
5. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
2. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
3. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
4. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
5. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
6. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
7. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
8. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
9. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
10. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The knowledge and the experience of the dark night, as well as the ladder of spirituality, are considered secret. These occurrences are even defined as indescribable. With supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Why are the experiences of the dark night and the ladder of spirituality labeled as secret?
2) How does a person learn of the secret things from God? How does God leave no trail of his teachings?
3) Why are there no words to describe the learning the soul gains after passing through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The sensual, natural part of man must be put to rest for the soul to achieve unification with God's love, according to Dark Night of the Soul. Please answer the following with support from the text:
1) How does St. John compare the sensual part of a man to that of a house at rest?
2) Why is it required for a man to put the sensual part of himself to rest before being able to enter into unification with God?
3) How does the sensual part of a man make him a "prisoner"?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)