|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
2. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
3. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
4. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIV, in what state is the soul when the soul is united with divine wisdom after passing through the dark night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
2. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
3. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
4. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
5. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
6. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
7. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
8. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
9. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
10. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The knowledge and the experience of the dark night, as well as the ladder of spirituality, are considered secret. These occurrences are even defined as indescribable. With supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Why are the experiences of the dark night and the ladder of spirituality labeled as secret?
2) How does a person learn of the secret things from God? How does God leave no trail of his teachings?
3) Why are there no words to describe the learning the soul gains after passing through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
Angels are mentioned throughout the text of Dark Night of the Soul and have specific qualities described by St. John. Please respond to the following with examples from the text that support your answer:
1) How are angels portrayed in the text with similar qualities as humans?
2) How does an angel become closer to God in spirituality?
3) What do both angels and humans experience which provides them with a commonality?
Essay Topic 3
There are seven points that the author describes about the understanding of divine fire. This fire is special and consumes and purifies the soul at the same time. Use supporting examples to respond to the following:
1) List at least four understandings of divine fire that St. John describes in Dark Night of the Soul.
2) How is divine fire of the soul similar to a log burning in a real fire?
3) How does the comparison of divine fire to a real fire illustrate the concept of a soul burning in purgatory?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)