Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
2. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
Essay Topic 1
There are seven points that the author describes about the understanding of divine fire. This fire is special and consumes and purifies the soul at the same time. Use supporting examples to respond to the following:
1) List at least four understandings of divine fire that St. John describes in Dark Night of the Soul.
2) How is divine fire of the soul similar to a log burning in a real fire?
3) How does the comparison of divine fire to a real fire illustrate the concept of a soul burning in purgatory?
Essay Topic 2
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 3
St. John describes two different types of imperfections that proficient Christians are troubled by; these must be removed during the dark night. Using examples from the text, respond to the following questions:
1) What are the two types of imperfections a proficient Christian suffers from?
2) Which imperfection is disastrous for the soul and leaves the soul open to evil influence?
3) Which imperfection can be removed from the spirit during the dark night? Why must it be removed before emerging from the dark night?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)