|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
5. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
2. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
3. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
5. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
6. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
7. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
8. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
9. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
10. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are ten steps on the secret ladder of spirituality, as described by St. John in Dark Night of the Soul. The soul begins to climb this ladder after passing the dark night. Respond to the following questions with examples that support your answer:
1) From where does the imagery of the spiritual ladder come?
2) What are the ten steps on the ladder?
3) How does a soul reach the last step on the ladder? What does that say about the divine properties of the ladder?
Essay Topic 2
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
Essay Topic 3
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)