|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
2. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
4. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
5. How does the author conclude his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
2. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
3. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
4. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
5. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
6. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
7. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
8. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
9. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
10. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
Essay Topic 2
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
Essay Topic 3
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)