|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
2. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
3. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
5. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
2. As described in Book II, Chapter, I, can a person who has passed through the night of darkness still be afflicted with other periods of darkness? Why?
3. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
4. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
5. In Book II, Chapter X, how does the divine fire of God teach about the state of souls in purgatory?
6. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
7. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
8. In Book II, Chapter V, what reasons are given for the dark night to be named "dark" and not "light"?
9. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
10. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are signs that a person's soul is starting to enter the dark night; however these signs are sometimes confused with a soul that is suffering from a sinful existence. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) What are the symptoms a person's soul experiences when beginning to enter into the dark night?
2) What are some of the signs a person is suffering from a sinful existence and not really entering into the dark night?
3) How many people truly enter the dark night? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The sensual, natural part of man must be put to rest for the soul to achieve unification with God's love, according to Dark Night of the Soul. Please answer the following with support from the text:
1) How does St. John compare the sensual part of a man to that of a house at rest?
2) Why is it required for a man to put the sensual part of himself to rest before being able to enter into unification with God?
3) How does the sensual part of a man make him a "prisoner"?
Essay Topic 3
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)