Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
3. What is the topic of the prologue?
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
2. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
3. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
4. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
5. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> in Book II, Chapter XXII?
6. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
7. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
8. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
9. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
10. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
Essay Topic 1
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
Essay Topic 2
While a believer is on the secret ladder of spirituality, the soul must wear a disguise. St. John is very specific in his depiction of the disguise and its purpose. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What is the purpose of the disguise the soul wears while on the ladder? Can a soul reach unity with God without wearing a disguise?
2) List and define the different layers of the disguise as related by St. John.
3) What do each color and layer of the disguise represent?
Essay Topic 3
The sensual, natural part of man must be put to rest for the soul to achieve unification with God's love, according to Dark Night of the Soul. Please answer the following with support from the text:
1) How does St. John compare the sensual part of a man to that of a house at rest?
2) Why is it required for a man to put the sensual part of himself to rest before being able to enter into unification with God?
3) How does the sensual part of a man make him a "prisoner"?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)