|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
2. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
3. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
5. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
2. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
3. How must a believer react when first realizing he has entered the dark night, according to Book I, Chapter X?
4. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
5. In Book I, Chapter VI, why are new believers especially prone to the sin of gluttony?
6. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
7. In Book II, Chapter VIII, why is the inability to pray or the feeling that prayers are not reaching God in the dark night not a problem?
8. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
9. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
10. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)