|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
3. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
5. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
2. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. In Book II, Chapter V, what reasons are given for the dark night to be named "dark" and not "light"?
4. How does the author describe the condition of beginners on their journey of faith?
5. What does the author say is the sign that the dark night has begun?
6. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
7. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
8. In Book I, Chapter XI, what is the Christian's new desire upon being ignited with the spirit of love?
9. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
10. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many benefits a soul will gain when first entering into the dark night. The lessons that the soul is taught during this time is the way to unification with God. Using supporting examples, answer the following questions:
1) What does the soul learn while first entering into the dark night?
2) What is the benefit of a soul understanding it is weak and miserable?
3) What does the phrase "growing up in Christ" mean in relation to the soul?
Essay Topic 2
The use of analogies within Dark Night of the Soul is abundant. St. John often re-describes his explanations by comparing the experience with an analogy. By using support from the text, respond with an essay to the following:
1) Name and define at least three analogies used within Dark Night of the Soul.
2) What is the author's purpose in using analogies within his writing? What does the reader gain from reading the analogies?
Essay Topic 3
While a believer is on the secret ladder of spirituality, the soul must wear a disguise. St. John is very specific in his depiction of the disguise and its purpose. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What is the purpose of the disguise the soul wears while on the ladder? Can a soul reach unity with God without wearing a disguise?
2) List and define the different layers of the disguise as related by St. John.
3) What do each color and layer of the disguise represent?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)