|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
2. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
3. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
4. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
5. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter V, what reasons are given for the dark night to be named "dark" and not "light"?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
3. In Book II, Chapter X, how does the divine fire of God teach about the state of souls in purgatory?
4. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
5. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
6. In Book I, Chapter XII, what is the main benefit for the soul as it travels through the night of darkness?
7. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
8. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
9. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
10. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
Essay Topic 3
While a believer is on the secret ladder of spirituality, the soul must wear a disguise. St. John is very specific in his depiction of the disguise and its purpose. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What is the purpose of the disguise the soul wears while on the ladder? Can a soul reach unity with God without wearing a disguise?
2) List and define the different layers of the disguise as related by St. John.
3) What do each color and layer of the disguise represent?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)