|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
2. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
3. How does the soul change during the dark night?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
5. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
2. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. As described in Book II, Chapter, I, can a person who has passed through the night of darkness still be afflicted with other periods of darkness? Why?
4. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
5. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
6. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
7. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
8. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
9. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
10. In Book II, Chapter X, how does the divine fire of God teach about the state of souls in purgatory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
Essay Topic 2
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of the dark night was originally expressed in St. John's poem "The Stanzas of the Soul" which he expounds upon in Dark Night of the Soul. Answer the following questions with support from the text:
1) How does "The Stanzas of the Soul" influence the way Dark Night of the Soul is written?
2) How does the imagery of the poem aid the reader in understanding Dark Night of the Soul?
3) How does the poetic imagery of the poem portray the dark night differently than the text in Dark Night of the Soul?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)