|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
2. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
3. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
5. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
2. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
3. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
5. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
6. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
7. In Book II, Chapter VIII, why is the inability to pray or the feeling that prayers are not reaching God in the dark night not a problem?
8. As described in Book II, Chapter, I, can a person who has passed through the night of darkness still be afflicted with other periods of darkness? Why?
9. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
10. In Book I, Chapter XII, what is the main benefit for the soul as it travels through the night of darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
There are seven points that the author describes about the understanding of divine fire. This fire is special and consumes and purifies the soul at the same time. Use supporting examples to respond to the following:
1) List at least four understandings of divine fire that St. John describes in Dark Night of the Soul.
2) How is divine fire of the soul similar to a log burning in a real fire?
3) How does the comparison of divine fire to a real fire illustrate the concept of a soul burning in purgatory?
Essay Topic 3
There are signs that a person's soul is starting to enter the dark night; however these signs are sometimes confused with a soul that is suffering from a sinful existence. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) What are the symptoms a person's soul experiences when beginning to enter into the dark night?
2) What are some of the signs a person is suffering from a sinful existence and not really entering into the dark night?
3) How many people truly enter the dark night? Why?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)