|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does God determine how severe a person's trial will be through the dark night?
2. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
3. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
4. In Book II, Chapter V, what reasons are given for the dark night to be named "dark" and not "light"?
5. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
6. How must a believer react when first realizing he has entered the dark night, according to Book I, Chapter X?
7. How does the author describe the condition of beginners on their journey of faith?
8. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
9. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
10. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are signs that a person's soul is starting to enter the dark night; however these signs are sometimes confused with a soul that is suffering from a sinful existence. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) What are the symptoms a person's soul experiences when beginning to enter into the dark night?
2) What are some of the signs a person is suffering from a sinful existence and not really entering into the dark night?
3) How many people truly enter the dark night? Why?
Essay Topic 2
There are many benefits a soul will gain when first entering into the dark night. The lessons that the soul is taught during this time is the way to unification with God. Using supporting examples, answer the following questions:
1) What does the soul learn while first entering into the dark night?
2) What is the benefit of a soul understanding it is weak and miserable?
3) What does the phrase "growing up in Christ" mean in relation to the soul?
Essay Topic 3
The soul becomes transformed after passing through the dark night and starts to yearn and becomes overwhelmed with the power and depth of God. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the soul act after receiving a love for God after passing through the dark night?
2) Why does the soul enter into a restless state after understanding the power of God's love?
3) Why would the soul miss the spirit of God if it were ever to leave?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)