|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
2. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
3. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
5. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
2. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
3. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
4. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
5. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
6. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
7. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
8. In Book II, Chapter X, how does the divine fire of God teach about the state of souls in purgatory?
9. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
10. How must a believer react when first realizing he has entered the dark night, according to Book I, Chapter X?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
Essay Topic 2
Angels are mentioned throughout the text of Dark Night of the Soul and have specific qualities described by St. John. Please respond to the following with examples from the text that support your answer:
1) How are angels portrayed in the text with similar qualities as humans?
2) How does an angel become closer to God in spirituality?
3) What do both angels and humans experience which provides them with a commonality?
Essay Topic 3
St. John describes two different types of imperfections that proficient Christians are troubled by; these must be removed during the dark night. Using examples from the text, respond to the following questions:
1) What are the two types of imperfections a proficient Christian suffers from?
2) Which imperfection is disastrous for the soul and leaves the soul open to evil influence?
3) Which imperfection can be removed from the spirit during the dark night? Why must it be removed before emerging from the dark night?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)