|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
2. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
3. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
4. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
5. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
2. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
3. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
5. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
6. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
7. What does the author say is the sign that the dark night has begun?
8. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
9. How does God determine how severe a person's trial will be through the dark night?
10. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The use of analogies within Dark Night of the Soul is abundant. St. John often re-describes his explanations by comparing the experience with an analogy. By using support from the text, respond with an essay to the following:
1) Name and define at least three analogies used within Dark Night of the Soul.
2) What is the author's purpose in using analogies within his writing? What does the reader gain from reading the analogies?
Essay Topic 3
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)