Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
3. What is the topic of the prologue?
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
2. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
3. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
4. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
5. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> in Book II, Chapter XXII?
6. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
7. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
8. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
9. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
10. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
Essay Topic 1
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
Essay Topic 2
St. John describes two different types of imperfections that proficient Christians are troubled by; these must be removed during the dark night. Using examples from the text, respond to the following questions:
1) What are the two types of imperfections a proficient Christian suffers from?
2) Which imperfection is disastrous for the soul and leaves the soul open to evil influence?
3) Which imperfection can be removed from the spirit during the dark night? Why must it be removed before emerging from the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The pain that occurs during the dark night is very intense and the author describes three types of pain that happens to the soul during this time. With examples from the text, please respond with examples to the following:
1) What are the three types of pain a soul experiences while going through the dark night of spirituality?
2) What causes this pain to occur?
3) Why is this pain required for the soul in order to emerge from the dark night?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)