|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
5. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter XI, what is the Christian's new desire upon being ignited with the spirit of love?
2. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. How does God determine how severe a person's trial will be through the dark night?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
5. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
6. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
7. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
8. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
9. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
10. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
Essay Topic 2
There are signs that a person's soul is starting to enter the dark night; however these signs are sometimes confused with a soul that is suffering from a sinful existence. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) What are the symptoms a person's soul experiences when beginning to enter into the dark night?
2) What are some of the signs a person is suffering from a sinful existence and not really entering into the dark night?
3) How many people truly enter the dark night? Why?
Essay Topic 3
After completely passing through the two dark nights of spirituality, a proficient Christian is at last unified with God. St. John explains that there are three properties that the soul gains as a result of passing through the purification of the dark night. Write an essay answering the following by using supporting examples from the text:
1) What are the three properties the soul gains after being purified by the dark night?
2) Do the senses or sin affect the spirit after the dark night has passed within a person's life?
3) How does a soul become transformed by these three properties? What does that mean in a Christian's relationship with God?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)