|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
2. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
3. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
4. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
5. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
2. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
3. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
4. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
5. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
6. How does God determine how severe a person's trial will be through the dark night?
7. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
8. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
9. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
10. What does the author say is the sign that the dark night has begun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
There are signs that a person's soul is starting to enter the dark night; however these signs are sometimes confused with a soul that is suffering from a sinful existence. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) What are the symptoms a person's soul experiences when beginning to enter into the dark night?
2) What are some of the signs a person is suffering from a sinful existence and not really entering into the dark night?
3) How many people truly enter the dark night? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The seven deadly sins recognized by the Catholic Church are said to be an evil influence in a beginning Christian's life. St. John wrote how a new believer was strongly influenced by these sins in Dark Night of the Soul. Write an essay answering the following with support:
1) What are the seven deadly sins that plague a beginning Christian's life as described by St. John?
2) How do these sins influence the way a person acts in relationship to one's faith in Christianity?
3) How are these sins overcome in a person's life?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)