|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
2. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
3. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
4. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
5. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described in Book II, Chapter, I, can a person who has passed through the night of darkness still be afflicted with other periods of darkness? Why?
2. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
3. In Book II, Chapter V, what reasons are given for the dark night to be named "dark" and not "light"?
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, what is the main benefit for the soul as it travels through the night of darkness?
5. In Book I, Chapter VI, why are new believers especially prone to the sin of gluttony?
6. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
7. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
8. How does the author describe the condition of beginners on their journey of faith?
9. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
10. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many benefits a soul will gain when first entering into the dark night. The lessons that the soul is taught during this time is the way to unification with God. Using supporting examples, answer the following questions:
1) What does the soul learn while first entering into the dark night?
2) What is the benefit of a soul understanding it is weak and miserable?
3) What does the phrase "growing up in Christ" mean in relation to the soul?
Essay Topic 2
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)