|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
2. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
3. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
4. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
5. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
2. In Book I, Chapter VI, why are new believers especially prone to the sin of gluttony?
3. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
4. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
5. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
6. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
7. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
8. What are some of the benefits described in Book I, Chapter XIII of a soul that has been purified by the dark night?
9. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
10. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
Essay Topic 1
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
Essay Topic 2
The knowledge and the experience of the dark night, as well as the ladder of spirituality, are considered secret. These occurrences are even defined as indescribable. With supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Why are the experiences of the dark night and the ladder of spirituality labeled as secret?
2) How does a person learn of the secret things from God? How does God leave no trail of his teachings?
3) Why are there no words to describe the learning the soul gains after passing through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
This section contains 2,476 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)