|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
3. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
4. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
5. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>.
2. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
3. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what is spiritual sloth?
4. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
5. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
6. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
7. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
8. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
9. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
10. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angels are mentioned throughout the text of Dark Night of the Soul and have specific qualities described by St. John. Please respond to the following with examples from the text that support your answer:
1) How are angels portrayed in the text with similar qualities as humans?
2) How does an angel become closer to God in spirituality?
3) What do both angels and humans experience which provides them with a commonality?
Essay Topic 2
While a believer is on the secret ladder of spirituality, the soul must wear a disguise. St. John is very specific in his depiction of the disguise and its purpose. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What is the purpose of the disguise the soul wears while on the ladder? Can a soul reach unity with God without wearing a disguise?
2) List and define the different layers of the disguise as related by St. John.
3) What do each color and layer of the disguise represent?
Essay Topic 3
There are signs that a person's soul is starting to enter the dark night; however these signs are sometimes confused with a soul that is suffering from a sinful existence. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) What are the symptoms a person's soul experiences when beginning to enter into the dark night?
2) What are some of the signs a person is suffering from a sinful existence and not really entering into the dark night?
3) How many people truly enter the dark night? Why?
This section contains 2,527 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)