|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
2. What is another name for avarice?
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
4. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
5. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
2. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, why are new believers especially prone to the sin of gluttony?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
5. In Book I, Chapter XII, what is the main benefit for the soul as it travels through the night of darkness?
6. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
7. What are some of the benefits described in Book I, Chapter XIII of a soul that has been purified by the dark night?
8. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
9. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
10. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angels are mentioned throughout the text of Dark Night of the Soul and have specific qualities described by St. John. Please respond to the following with examples from the text that support your answer:
1) How are angels portrayed in the text with similar qualities as humans?
2) How does an angel become closer to God in spirituality?
3) What do both angels and humans experience which provides them with a commonality?
Essay Topic 2
St. John of the Cross was a very important person in the reformation of the Carmelite order of the Church and has been extremely influential in the history of the Christian faith. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did St. John's life influence his faith?
2) How did St. John's faith influence his career?
3) What was St. John's purpose in writing Dark Night of the Soul?
Essay Topic 3
The sensual, natural part of man must be put to rest for the soul to achieve unification with God's love, according to Dark Night of the Soul. Please answer the following with support from the text:
1) How does St. John compare the sensual part of a man to that of a house at rest?
2) Why is it required for a man to put the sensual part of himself to rest before being able to enter into unification with God?
3) How does the sensual part of a man make him a "prisoner"?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)