|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
2. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
3. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
4. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
5. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
2. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
3. How does the author describe the condition of beginners on their journey of faith?
4. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
5. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
6. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
7. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
8. In Book I, Chapter XI, what is the Christian's new desire upon being ignited with the spirit of love?
9. How does God determine how severe a person's trial will be through the dark night?
10. What are some of the benefits described in Book I, Chapter XIII of a soul that has been purified by the dark night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The seven deadly sins recognized by the Catholic Church are said to be an evil influence in a beginning Christian's life. St. John wrote how a new believer was strongly influenced by these sins in Dark Night of the Soul. Write an essay answering the following with support:
1) What are the seven deadly sins that plague a beginning Christian's life as described by St. John?
2) How do these sins influence the way a person acts in relationship to one's faith in Christianity?
3) How are these sins overcome in a person's life?
Essay Topic 2
The second night of darkness inflicts even greater pain upon the soul than the first night. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) Why is the second night of darkness even more painful than the first?
2) What happens to the soul after periods of rest during this night? Why?
3) What examples from the Bible does St. John use to help illustrate the pain of the second night of darkness?
Essay Topic 3
The light of divine illumination comes only after a soul has experienced the dark night. St. John explains divine light by referencing the rays of sunlight. Respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What is divine light?
2) Explain how divine light acts similarly to sunlight.
3) Why does divine light only illuminate within a soul that has passed through the dark night?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)