|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
2. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
3. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
4. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
5. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
2. In Book I, Chapter XII, what is the main benefit for the soul as it travels through the night of darkness?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
4. What does the author say is the sign that the dark night has begun?
5. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
6. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
7. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
8. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
9. In Book II, Chapter VIII, why is the inability to pray or the feeling that prayers are not reaching God in the dark night not a problem?
10. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The length of the dark night of spirituality and how much pain a soul has to endure is different for every person. Using supporting examples, please respond with an essay to the following:
1) Why does the duration of the dark night and the amount of pain experienced by a soul vary from person to person?
2) Who has the final say in the duration and intensity of the dark night?
3) What is the fate of a soul who is chosen to have extremely intense darkness?
Essay Topic 2
There is a separation between the will and the emotions within a person. St. John describes this separation as the reason why the soul can journey through the dark night. Respond with supporting examples:
1) How is the will free from emotions within a human?
2) Why does the soul recognize what it needs and the will of a person does not?
3) How is the separation of the will and the emotions required for a person to pass through the dark night?
Essay Topic 3
The use of analogies within Dark Night of the Soul is abundant. St. John often re-describes his explanations by comparing the experience with an analogy. By using support from the text, respond with an essay to the following:
1) Name and define at least three analogies used within Dark Night of the Soul.
2) What is the author's purpose in using analogies within his writing? What does the reader gain from reading the analogies?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)