|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A church.
(b) A house.
(c) A feather.
(d) A tree.
2. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) To show off his writing skills.
(b) To show his authority over the reader.
(c) To help the reader predict the next chapter's subject matter.
(d) To aid the reader's understanding.
3. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
4. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The path to heaven.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) God's fury.
(d) Secret knowledge.
5. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(c) The human mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
2. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
3. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
2. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
4. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
5. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
6. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
7. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
8. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
9. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
10. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)