|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author conclude his work?
(a) Describing the properties gained through passing through the dark night.
(b) Describing the author's own plans to achieve divinity.
(c) Describing the way the devil will try to seduce believers after reading the book.
(d) Describing ways to atone for sin.
2. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(b) Real fire.
(c) God's love.
3. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
4. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A lie.
(b) A dream.
(c) A joke.
(d) A nightmare.
5. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By the Holy Spirit.
(b) By battling evil.
(c) By rejecting sin.
(d) By the power of the human mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
3. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
4. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
5. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
3. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
4. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
5. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
6. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
7. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
8. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
9. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
10. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)