|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
(a) Strength and divine powers.
(b) Honor and glory.
(c) Joy and wealth.
(d) Peace and rest.
2. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) Only the longing for God.
(b) The desires of the human heart.
(c) The path of honor and glory.
(d) The avoidance of sin.
3. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
(a) To discover a secret power.
(b) To protect against the anger of family.
(c) To hide from the sensual nature of man.
(d) To hide from the spiritual nature of man.
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) The evil of sin.
(b) God's punishment.
(c) What it lacks.
(d) How much pain relates to the divine.
5. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A black cloak.
(b) A helmet.
(c) A scarf tied around the head.
(d) The hat of salvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
2. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
4. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
5. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
3. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
5. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
6. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
7. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
8. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
9. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
10. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)