|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of remorse.
(b) Out of guilt.
(c) Out of sadness.
(d) Out of happiness.
2. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They are mixed up.
(b) They become strengthened.
(c) They are useless.
(d) They are necessary.
3. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
4. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The pressure of human peers.
(b) The light of spiritual faith.
(c) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(d) The darkness of God's love.
5. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) Another author's works.
(b) The author's credentials for writing.
(c) A verse from the Bible.
(d) The poem from the prologue.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
2. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
3. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
5. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
2. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
4. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
5. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
6. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
7. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
8. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
9. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
10. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)