|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
2. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
3. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
(a) Senses do not hinder the spirit.
(b) Sin starts to have no consequences.
(c) The soul no longer feels any need for God.
(d) God begins to love the soul of the person.
4. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(b) Enemies of man.
(c) Sinful devils.
(d) Friends of humans.
5. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) The desires of the human heart.
(b) The path of honor and glory.
(c) Only the longing for God.
(d) The avoidance of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
2. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
3. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
2. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
3. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
4. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
6. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
7. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
8. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
9. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
10. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)