|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Sinful devils.
(c) Friends of humans.
(d) Enemies of man.
2. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Exploring new territory.
(b) Committing sin.
(c) Separating from the body.
(d) Becoming more godlike.
3. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
4. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) His wife helped him in writing.
(b) His writing has a purpose.
(c) His writing is for selfish reasons.
(d) God is speaking through him.
5. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
2. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
4. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
5. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
2. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
4. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
5. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
6. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
7. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
8. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
9. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
10. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)