|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Love and wisdom.
(b) Grace and redemption.
(c) Guilt and suffering.
(d) Freedom and pain.
2. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
3. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The first stanza of the poem.
(b) The second stanza of the poem.
(c) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(d) A chapter from the Bible.
4. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
5. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Becoming more godlike.
(b) Exploring new territory.
(c) Committing sin.
(d) Separating from the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
3. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
4. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
3. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
4. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
6. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
7. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
8. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
9. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
10. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)