|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The threat of evil.
(b) The guild of sin.
(c) The fire of the Spirit.
(d) The demands of the earthly world.
2. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
(a) Nothing but God.
(b) All the traps of sin.
(c) Everyone else's heart.
4. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(b) Magical powers.
(c) All that God knows.
5. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A feather.
(b) A church.
(c) A tree.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
2. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
3. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
4. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
5. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
2. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
4. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
5. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
6. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
7. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
8. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
9. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
10. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)