|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) A free agent.
(b) A reflection of God.
(c) Rogue demon.
2. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
(a) Separate from human contact.
(b) Draw back from God's love.
(c) Have ceaseless contact with God.
(d) Take a vow of silence.
3. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) The spirit battles the soul.
(b) The soul swoons for God.
(c) Sin takes over the soul.
(d) God punishes the soul.
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) Sin and evil.
(b) The eyes of a human.
(c) God's message.
(d) The darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
2. How does the author conclude his work?
3. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
5. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
4. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
5. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
6. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
7. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
8. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
9. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
10. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)