|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Immense wealth.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) Magical powers.
(d) Things which they ask for.
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has become like God.
(b) It has become strong in sin.
(c) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
(d) It has found itself.
3. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
(a) An ascent to heaven.
(b) The presence of God.
(c) Salvation from sin.
(d) Peaceful rest.
4. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) A walk on the sea.
(b) A dive off a cliff.
(c) The circle of life.
(d) The flight of a bird.
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
2. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
4. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
5. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
2. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
3. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
4. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
5. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
6. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
7. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
8. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
9. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
10. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)