|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The guild of sin.
(b) The threat of evil.
(c) The demands of the earthly world.
(d) The fire of the Spirit.
2. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Guilt and suffering.
(b) Love and wisdom.
(c) Freedom and pain.
(d) Grace and redemption.
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After enkindlement.
(b) From birth.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) After death.
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The love of friends gives comfort.
(b) The fire of God burns the soul.
(c) The comfort of God gives peace.
(d) The forces of evil burn the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
2. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
3. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
4. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
5. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
2. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
3. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
4. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
5. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
6. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
7. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
8. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
9. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
10. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)