|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) Human thought.
(b) The devil and the senses.
(d) Peer pressure.
2. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
(a) Strength and divine powers.
(b) Joy and wealth.
(c) Peace and rest.
(d) Honor and glory.
3. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The second stanza of the poem.
(b) The first stanza of the poem.
(c) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(d) A chapter from the Bible.
4. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) The danger zone.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) Sensual affections.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
2. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
3. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
4. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
5. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
2. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
3. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
4. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
5. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
6. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
7. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
8. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
9. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
10. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)