|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
(b) To hide oneself from God.
(c) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(d) To become a new person.
2. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) After fasting.
(b) After death.
(c) By God's invitation.
(d) Before becoming baptized.
3. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of happiness.
(b) Out of guilt.
(c) Out of sadness.
(d) Out of remorse.
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(a) Not everyone.
(b) No one.
(d) Only priests.
5. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The darkness of God's love.
(b) The light of spiritual faith.
(c) The pressure of human peers.
(d) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
2. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
5. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
2. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
3. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
5. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
6. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
7. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
8. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
9. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
10. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)