|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A helmet.
(b) A black cloak.
(c) The hat of salvation.
(d) A scarf tied around the head.
2. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
3. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) After death.
(b) By God's invitation.
(c) After fasting.
(d) Before becoming baptized.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
2. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
3. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
4. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
5. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
3. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
4. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
5. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
6. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
7. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
8. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
9. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
10. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)