|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of sadness.
(b) Out of remorse.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) Out of happiness.
2. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Pray for forgiveness.
(b) Commit sins.
(c) Work for and love God.
(d) Pray for other's forgiveness.
3. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Search for God.
(b) Abandon hope.
(c) Battle sin.
(d) Ascend to heaven.
4. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
5. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
2. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
3. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
4. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
5. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
2. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
3. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
4. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
6. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
7. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
8. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
9. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
10. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)