|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) Sensual affections.
(d) The danger zone.
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) Secret knowledge.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) The path to heaven.
(d) God's fury.
3. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
(a) To protect against the anger of family.
(b) To hide from the spiritual nature of man.
(c) To hide from the sensual nature of man.
(d) To discover a secret power.
4. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To teach others.
(b) To spread the word of God.
(c) To help women.
(d) To make money.
5. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The demands of the earthly world.
(b) The guild of sin.
(c) The threat of evil.
(d) The fire of the Spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
2. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
3. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
2. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
5. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
6. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
7. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
8. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
9. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
10. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)