|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) Sin and evil.
(b) The darkness.
(c) The eyes of a human.
(d) God's message.
2. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
(a) Separate from human contact.
(b) Have ceaseless contact with God.
(c) Take a vow of silence.
(d) Draw back from God's love.
3. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A collection of angels.
(b) A pit of despair.
(c) Evil demons.
(d) A cloud of darkness.
4. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To help women.
(b) To teach others.
(c) To make money.
(d) To spread the word of God.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) God's punishment.
(b) The evil of sin.
(c) How much pain relates to the divine.
(d) What it lacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
2. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
3. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
4. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
3. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
4. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
5. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
6. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
7. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
8. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
9. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
10. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)