|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
(a) A paraphrase.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) A homonym.
(d) An acronym.
2. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The better of a chance to backslide.
(b) The closer to God a being will become.
(c) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(d) The more likely to sin.
3. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(c) A hundred.
4. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Sinful devils.
(b) Enemies of man.
(d) Friends of humans.
5. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
(c) Romantic love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, the author writes about the depth and power of what?
2. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
3. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
4. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
2. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
3. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
4. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
5. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
6. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
7. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
8. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
9. How does St. John of the Cross use Mary Magdalene as an example of a soul passing through the second night of darkness?
10. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)