|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) Secret knowledge.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) God's fury.
(d) The path to heaven.
3. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) A verse from the Bible.
(b) The poem from the prologue.
(c) Another author's works.
(d) The author's credentials for writing.
4. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(b) Magical powers.
(d) All that God knows.
5. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(b) God has no control over the devil.
(c) To go to war with evil.
(d) God is uncaring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
2. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
4. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
2. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
3. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
4. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
5. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
6. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
7. Why must the soul become numb to natural desires to receive God's strength and a union with God, according to Book II, Chapter XVI?
8. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
9. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
10. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)