|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
2. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) God's wrath.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) The danger zone.
(d) Sensual affections.
3. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Sin's grasp.
(d) Spiritual freedom.
4. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) God's dwelling place.
(b) Spiritual understanding.
(d) Forgiveness for the soul.
5. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
2. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
3. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)