|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
2. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
(a) Salvation from sin.
(b) Peaceful rest.
(c) The presence of God.
(d) An ascent to heaven.
3. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Work for and love God.
(b) Commit sins.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Pray for other's forgiveness.
4. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To go to war with evil.
(b) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(c) God has no control over the devil.
(d) God is uncaring.
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(c) Forgiveness for the soul.
(d) God's dwelling place.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
2. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
3. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
4. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
5. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
4. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
5. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
6. In Book II, Chapter XV, why does the soul praise the darkness that causes so much pain?
7. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
8. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
9. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
10. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)