|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) The seven deadly sins.
(b) Things of the world.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) God's love.
2. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
3. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) Around the world.
(b) Through hell.
(c) In heaven.
(d) In darkness.
4. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(b) To go to war with evil.
(c) God has no control over the devil.
(d) God is uncaring.
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(a) A hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
2. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
3. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
4. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
2. What does St. John say happens to the soul after it has become enkindled and starts yearning for God? What would happen if the fire were to go away?
3. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
4. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
5. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
6. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
7. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
8. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
9. Why is the experience of the dark night and the spiritual ladder called "secret," as explained by the author?
10. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)