|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
(a) Romantic love.
2. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
3. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A black cloak.
(b) A scarf tied around the head.
(c) A helmet.
(d) The hat of salvation.
4. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(c) The human mind.
5. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To make money.
(b) To spread the word of God.
(c) To help women.
(d) To teach others.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
2. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
3. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
4. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a soul reach the final step on the secret ladder? What happens on this step?
2. How can a soul reach the sixth step on the secret ladder, as written in Book II, Chapter XX? What do men receive while on this step?
3. As discussed in Book II, Chapter XXIV, when will the soul finally find peace and rest? Why?
4. What does St. John explain about his poem, "Stanza of the Soul," in Book II, Chapter XXII?
5. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
6. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
7. In Book II, Chapter XII, how does the desire of God influence understanding and love on a believer passing through the dark night?
8. How does a purifying fire of love affect the souls of humans and angels in relation to a closeness with God as described by the author?
9. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
10. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)