|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Magical powers.
(c) Things which they ask for.
(d) Immense wealth.
2. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A collection of angels.
(b) Evil demons.
(c) A cloud of darkness.
(d) A pit of despair.
3. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
4. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By the Holy Spirit.
(b) By rejecting sin.
(c) By battling evil.
(d) By the power of the human mind.
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
2. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
3. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
4. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
5. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book Dark Night of the Soul in Book II, Chapter XXII?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVI, why does the author say that it is necessary for man to learn to walk in the darkness?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
4. How does St. John describe the trail that God walks as He leads the soul on its journey through the darkness?
5. From where does St. John say the image of the spiritual ladder is derived?
6. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
7. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
8. In Book II, Chapter XIX, what happens on the first three steps of love on the secret ladder?
9. What is the author discussing in the second stanza of his poem from the prologue that is further explained in Book II, Chapter XV?
10. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)