|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
(a) Horrible thoughts and visions.
(b) Addictions to sin.
(c) Access to hell.
(d) Painful memories.
2. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To go to war with evil.
(b) God is uncaring.
(c) God has no control over the devil.
(d) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
3. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
4. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) A dive off a cliff.
(b) The circle of life.
(c) The flight of a bird.
(d) A walk on the sea.
5. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
(d) Romantic love.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
3. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
4. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
5. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)