|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
2. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They become strengthened.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) They are useless.
(d) They are mixed up.
3. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The temptation of sin.
(b) God's fury.
(c) Secret knowledge.
(d) The path to heaven.
4. The use of the term "dark night" throughout <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> by St. John is an example of what?
(a) An acronym.
(b) A homonym.
(c) A paraphrase.
(d) A metaphor.
5. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
2. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
3. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
4. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
5. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)