|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To go to war with evil.
(b) God has no control over the devil.
(c) God is uncaring.
(d) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
2. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
(c) Romantic love.
3. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) By God's invitation.
(b) After fasting.
(c) After death.
(d) Before becoming baptized.
4. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
5. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
(a) Sin starts to have no consequences.
(b) God begins to love the soul of the person.
(c) The soul no longer feels any need for God.
(d) Senses do not hinder the spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
2. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
3. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
4. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
5. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three properties the soul gains after passing the dark night, as described in Book II, Chapter XXV?
2. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, how does the soul move upon the spiritual ladder?
4. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what are the colors of the disguise of the soul on the secret ladder, and what do they represent?
5. In Book II, Chapter XI, what does the author say the soul will want to do after it has received the love for God?
6. Why does the author say that people who have never passed through the dark night understand spiritual freedom?
7. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
8. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
9. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
10. How does St. John conclude his book in the final chapter?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)