|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(b) Other's love.
(c) God's love.
2. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(b) His soul.
(d) His soulmate.
3. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
(c) The Devil.
4. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The balance of the world.
(b) God's demands of revenge.
(c) The underlying impurity of the soul.
(d) The payment of sin.
5. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) In the grave.
(c) On the sun.
(d) In a torture chamber.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
2. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
3. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
4. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
5. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VIII, why is the inability to pray or the feeling that prayers are not reaching God in the dark night not a problem?
2. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil know about what is happening to a soul during the dark night and what does the devil do about it?
4. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
5. How is this unification achieved with God, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
6. What are some of the benefits described in Book I, Chapter XIII of a soul that has been purified by the dark night?
7. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
8. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
9. Why does a soul have to wear a disguise as it ascends the secret ladder?
10. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)