|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) During a weekly fast.
(b) The second night of purging.
(c) Whenever in prayer with God.
(d) The first night of purging.
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) God's instructions.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Inner peace.
(d) The emergence of sin.
3. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
4. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) Contempt for sin.
(b) God's mercy.
(c) Love in the soul.
5. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Spiritual luxury.
(b) Spiritual envy.
(c) Impure heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
2. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
3. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
4. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
5. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the condition of beginners on their journey of faith?
2. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
3. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
4. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
5. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
6. In Book I, Chapter XI, what is the Christian's new desire upon being ignited with the spirit of love?
7. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
8. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
9. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
10. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)