|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(b) Earthly things.
(c) Lust for others.
(d) Spiritual things.
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(b) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(c) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(d) The purging of the soul by divine love.
3. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) Other authors' works.
(b) A history of the Bible.
(c) The purpose of the book.
(d) The biography of the author.
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) God's instructions.
(b) Inner peace.
(c) The emergence of sin.
(d) God's forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
3. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
4. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God do with Job during the dark night that allowed the devil access to his life, as explained by the author?
2. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
3. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
4. How does the soul speak of being happy by using the symbolism of a house in Book II, Chapter XIV?
5. What is St. John's explained purpose for writing the book <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> in Book II, Chapter XXII?
6. How can the soul experience the presence of God while in the dark night, as described by the author in Book II, Chapter XIII?
7. What does St. John say happens on the fourth step of love of the secret ladder? Why does the soul not want favor from God?
8. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
9. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
10. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)