|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(b) Sinful and guilty.
(c) Weak and miserable.
(d) Worthless to the devil.
2. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) In his sensual areas.
(b) In his passion for sin.
(c) In his love for God.
(d) In his will and soul.
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(b) Impure heart.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) Spiritual envy.
4. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
(a) Spiritual luxury.
(b) Actual imperfections.
(c) God's punishments.
(d) Earthly pleasures.
5. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
(a) The lure of sin.
(b) Keeping secrets from God.
(d) Lack of faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the prologue?
2. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
3. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
5. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter X, how does the divine fire of God teach about the state of souls in purgatory?
2. What does St. John say must change in a person in order for the divine and the human to exist within the same person?
3. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
4. In Book II, Chapter VIII, why is the inability to pray or the feeling that prayers are not reaching God in the dark night not a problem?
5. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
6. In Book I, Chapter III, what are the symptoms of the sin of avarice?
7. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
8. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
9. In Book I, Chapter XII, what is the main benefit for the soul as it travels through the night of darkness?
10. What does St. John say causes the sin of wrath and how does a believer allow this to become a sin in his life?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)