|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
(a) The soul heals itself.
(b) The soul is attacked harder than before.
(c) The soul is freed.
(d) The soul rejects God's love.
2. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(a) Loved ones.
(d) God and themselves.
3. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A desire for secrets.
(b) Fits of insanity.
(c) A feeling of inner peace.
(d) A perverse or giddy spirit.
4. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(b) In a torture chamber.
(c) On the sun.
(d) In the grave.
5. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) The person is lazy.
(b) There is no monetary gain.
(c) The pleasure fades.
(d) There is no further instruction from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
2. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
3. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
4. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is spiritual sloth?
2. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
3. What is the difference between a symptom of the dark night from sin and actually going through the dark night, according to St. John?
4. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
5. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
6. What is the purpose of the Dark Night of the Soul as described in the prologue?
7. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
8. In Book I, Chapter XI, what is the Christian's new desire upon being ignited with the spirit of love?
9. In Book II, Chapter X, how does the divine fire of God teach about the state of souls in purgatory?
10. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)