|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
2. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) God draws closer to them.
(b) God suddenly abandons them.
(c) They no longer believe in their faith.
(d) Their sins worsen.
3. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A proficient Christian.
(b) A baptized person.
(c) A priest.
(d) A sinless and perfect soul.
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(a) Hard work.
(b) God's will.
(d) A pure heart.
5. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
2. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
3. What is another name for avarice?
4. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
5. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
2. How does the author compare the use of fire to the purification process a person experiences during the dark night?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, what is the difference between habitual imperfections and actual imperfections?
4. What happens during the first night of the dark night, as discussed in Book II, Chapter III?
5. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
6. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
7. What does the author say is the sign that the dark night has begun?
8. In Book II, Chapter VIII, why is the inability to pray or the feeling that prayers are not reaching God in the dark night not a problem?
9. What are the three types of pain that result from human and divine meeting in one, as discussed in Book II, Chapter VI?
10. In Book I, Chapter XI, what is the Christian's new desire upon being ignited with the spirit of love?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)