|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Lack of faith.
(b) Faith and money.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) God's wrath.
2. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(a) God's desire.
(b) The weight of sin.
3. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It remembers its evils.
(b) God has given no direction.
(c) It does not know goodness.
(d) It wants to remain sinful.
4. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(b) His soulmate.
(c) His soul.
5. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything spiritual or physical.
(b) Anything physical.
(c) Anything spiritual.
(d) Committing sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
2. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
3. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
4. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
5. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a soul feel while experiencing the dark night and what happens during any period of rest in the dark night in Book II, Chapter VII?
2. How does God determine how severe a person's trial will be through the dark night?
3. Why must the soul face the darkness even though there is only misery there, as described in Book II, Chapter IX?
4. How does the author compare divine light to sunlight?
5. How does St. John say a person changes when his spirit becomes united with God and how does his understanding of love change?
6. How must a believer react when first realizing he has entered the dark night, according to Book I, Chapter X?
7. What are the symptoms of the sin of pride, according to St. John?
8. How does a Christian feel during the three kinds of pain that afflict him when the divine and human meet in one during the dark night, according to the author?
9. Why does the author quote the sufferings of Job and Jeremias in Book II, Chapter VII?
10. Describe how the devil uses spiritual activity to place an impure thought in a believer's head, as described in Dark Night of the Soul.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)