|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
(a) Infant and newborn.
(b) Beginner and proficient.
(c) Believer and sinner.
(d) Immortal and divine.
2. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A black cloak.
(b) A helmet.
(c) The hat of salvation.
(d) A scarf tied around the head.
3. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
4. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
5. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
6. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A cloud of darkness.
(b) A pit of despair.
(c) Evil demons.
(d) A collection of angels.
7. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
8. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(b) Some women.
(c) All men.
(d) Only priests.
9. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) God's fury.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) Secret knowledge.
(d) The path to heaven.
10. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) From birth.
(b) After death.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) After enkindlement.
11. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) The human's wickedness.
(b) The release from sin.
(c) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(d) God's anger.
12. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(b) To become a new person.
(c) To hide oneself from God.
(d) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
13. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) The author's credentials for writing.
(b) The poem from the prologue.
(c) Another author's works.
(d) A verse from the Bible.
14. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) To show his authority over the reader.
(b) To help the reader predict the next chapter's subject matter.
(c) To aid the reader's understanding.
(d) To show off his writing skills.
15. How does the author conclude his work?
(a) Describing the properties gained through passing through the dark night.
(b) Describing the way the devil will try to seduce believers after reading the book.
(c) Describing ways to atone for sin.
(d) Describing the author's own plans to achieve divinity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
2. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
4. In Book II, Chapter XI, the author writes about the depth and power of what?
5. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)