|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) God's anger.
(b) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(c) The human's wickedness.
(d) The release from sin.
2. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A helmet.
(b) A scarf tied around the head.
(c) A black cloak.
(d) The hat of salvation.
3. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The comfort of God gives peace.
(b) The forces of evil burn the soul.
(c) The love of friends gives comfort.
(d) The fire of God burns the soul.
4. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(b) The second stanza of the poem.
(c) A chapter from the Bible.
(d) The first stanza of the poem.
5. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They become strengthened.
(b) They are useless.
(c) They are mixed up.
(d) They are necessary.
6. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A starving person and food.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) Children and parents.
7. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) The devil and the senses.
(b) Human thought.
(d) Peer pressure.
8. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
9. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) His writing has a purpose.
(b) His writing is for selfish reasons.
(c) God is speaking through him.
(d) His wife helped him in writing.
10. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(c) Spiritual freedom.
(d) Sin's grasp.
11. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) A free agent.
(c) Rogue demon.
(d) A reflection of God.
12. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) Evil demons.
(b) A collection of angels.
(c) A pit of despair.
(d) A cloud of darkness.
13. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
(b) To hide oneself from God.
(c) To become a new person.
(d) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
14. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Magical powers.
(b) Immense wealth.
(c) Things which they ask for.
(d) Eternal life.
15. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
3. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
4. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
5. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)