|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
(a) Horrible thoughts and visions.
(b) Painful memories.
(c) Access to hell.
(d) Addictions to sin.
2. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
(a) A metaphor.
(b) A paraphrase.
(c) An acronym.
(d) A homonym.
3. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Ascend to heaven.
(b) Battle sin.
(c) Search for God.
(d) Abandon hope.
4. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
5. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Work for and love God.
(b) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(c) Commit sins.
(d) Pray for forgiveness.
6. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
7. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
8. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) God's love.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) The seven deadly sins.
(d) Things of the world.
9. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
(a) To hide from the sensual nature of man.
(b) To discover a secret power.
(c) To protect against the anger of family.
(d) To hide from the spiritual nature of man.
10. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
11. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A house.
(b) A church.
(c) A feather.
(d) A tree.
12. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
13. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(c) Spiritual freedom.
(d) Sin's grasp.
14. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Immense wealth.
(c) Magical powers.
(d) Things which they ask for.
15. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) All men.
(b) Only priests.
(d) Some women.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
2. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
3. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
4. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)