|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By battling evil.
(b) By rejecting sin.
(c) By the Holy Spirit.
(d) By the power of the human mind.
2. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
(a) To hide from the devil.
(b) To sneak into heaven.
(c) To protect itself from God's anger.
(d) To deceive peers.
3. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
4. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To teach others.
(b) To help women.
(c) To make money.
(d) To spread the word of God.
5. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) The hat of salvation.
(b) A helmet.
(c) A black cloak.
(d) A scarf tied around the head.
6. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) God's punishment.
(b) How much pain relates to the divine.
(c) The evil of sin.
(d) What it lacks.
7. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
8. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
(b) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(c) To become a new person.
(d) To hide oneself from God.
9. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) The danger zone.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) Sensual affections.
10. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
(a) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
11. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) Sin's grasp.
(b) Spiritual freedom.
(d) God's forgiveness.
12. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) All men.
(b) Some women.
(d) Only priests.
13. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The fire of the Spirit.
(b) The threat of evil.
(c) The guild of sin.
(d) The demands of the earthly world.
14. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Things which they ask for.
(c) Immense wealth.
(d) Magical powers.
15. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(b) God's love.
(d) Real fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
2. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
3. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
4. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
5. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)