|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The ladder of living faith.
(b) The path to becoming like God.
(c) The stairs to heaven.
(d) The ladder of sin.
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
(b) It has found itself.
(c) It has become like God.
(d) It has become strong in sin.
3. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) Secret knowledge.
(b) God's fury.
(c) The path to heaven.
(d) The temptation of sin.
4. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
(b) Everyone else's heart.
(c) Nothing but God.
(d) All the traps of sin.
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(b) The earth.
(c) The universe.
(d) Angel's souls.
6. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Search for God.
(b) Battle sin.
(c) Abandon hope.
(d) Ascend to heaven.
7. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
8. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Becoming more godlike.
(b) Exploring new territory.
(c) Committing sin.
(d) Separating from the body.
9. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) Children and parents.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) A starving person and food.
(d) A husband and wife.
10. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A tree.
(b) A feather.
(c) A house.
(d) A church.
11. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
12. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(b) Commit sins.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Work for and love God.
13. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The closer to God a being will become.
(b) The better of a chance to backslide.
(c) The more likely to sin.
(d) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
14. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
(a) A homonym.
(b) A paraphrase.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) An acronym.
15. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) Evil demons.
(b) A collection of angels.
(c) A pit of despair.
(d) A cloud of darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, the author writes about the depth and power of what?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)