|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
2. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(a) The human mind.
3. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) Magical powers.
(b) All that God knows.
4. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
(a) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
5. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) The spirit battles the soul.
(b) The soul swoons for God.
(c) Sin takes over the soul.
(d) God punishes the soul.
6. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) The danger zone.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) Sensual affections.
(d) God's wrath.
7. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) A free agent.
(c) Rogue demon.
(d) A reflection of God.
8. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
9. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A starving person and food.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) Children and parents.
10. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) The path of honor and glory.
(b) The avoidance of sin.
(c) Only the longing for God.
(d) The desires of the human heart.
11. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
(a) Romantic love.
12. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By the power of the human mind.
(b) By rejecting sin.
(c) By battling evil.
(d) By the Holy Spirit.
13. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
14. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Sinful devils.
(b) Enemies of man.
(c) Friends of humans.
15. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
2. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
3. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
4. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
5. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)