|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(a) The universe.
(b) Angel's souls.
(d) The earth.
2. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of happiness.
(b) Out of sadness.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) Out of remorse.
3. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) A reflection of God.
(b) Rogue demon.
(c) A free agent.
4. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) Before becoming baptized.
(b) After fasting.
(c) By God's invitation.
(d) After death.
5. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To go to war with evil.
(b) God has no control over the devil.
(c) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(d) God is uncaring.
6. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) From birth.
(b) After enkindlement.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) After death.
7. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A joke.
(b) A lie.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A dream.
8. What is the purpose for writing <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> that St. John describes?
(a) To teach others.
(b) To make money.
(c) To help women.
(d) To spread the word of God.
9. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(b) The release from sin.
(c) The human's wickedness.
(d) God's anger.
10. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) Ascension and descension.
(b) Side to side.
(c) From earth to hell.
(d) From earth to heaven.
11. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) The soul swoons for God.
(b) God punishes the soul.
(c) Sin takes over the soul.
(d) The spirit battles the soul.
12. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) The evil of sin.
(b) God's punishment.
(c) How much pain relates to the divine.
(d) What it lacks.
13. In Book II, Chapter XI, the author writes about the depth and power of what?
(a) The Spirit of God.
(b) Earthly evil.
(d) God's vengeance.
14. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
(a) To show the world one's faith.
(b) To prove one's worth to God.
(c) To cleanse oneself of sin.
(d) To protect oneself from the devil.
15. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
(a) Access to hell.
(b) Horrible thoughts and visions.
(c) Painful memories.
(d) Addictions to sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
2. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
3. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
4. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
5. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)