|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
(a) Obedience to God.
(b) Protection from sin.
(c) Release from guilt.
(d) A pleasing soul for God.
2. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) Directly after birth.
(b) When first believing in God.
(c) After death.
(d) After passing through the dark night.
3. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(b) The more likely to sin.
(c) The better of a chance to backslide.
(d) The closer to God a being will become.
4. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
(a) They were knocked unconscious.
(b) They became wealthy.
(c) They spoke in another language.
(d) There were unable to speak.
5. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
(b) Everyone else's heart.
(c) All the traps of sin.
(d) Nothing but God.
6. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) Evil demons.
(b) A pit of despair.
(c) A collection of angels.
(d) A cloud of darkness.
7. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) The devil and the senses.
(b) Peer pressure.
(d) Human thought.
8. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The light of spiritual faith.
(b) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(c) The pressure of human peers.
(d) The darkness of God's love.
9. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
10. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Battle sin.
(b) Abandon hope.
(c) Ascend to heaven.
(d) Search for God.
11. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A starving person and food.
(b) Children and parents.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) A priest and God.
12. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
13. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) The human's wickedness.
(b) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(c) God's anger.
(d) The release from sin.
14. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) God is speaking through him.
(b) His writing is for selfish reasons.
(c) His writing has a purpose.
(d) His wife helped him in writing.
15. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(b) The earth.
(c) Angel's souls.
(d) The universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
2. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
4. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
5. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)