|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After death.
(b) After enkindlement.
(c) From birth.
(d) After God's punishment.
2. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) What it lacks.
(b) The evil of sin.
(c) How much pain relates to the divine.
(d) God's punishment.
4. The author says that the first step on the ladder is similar to the way a person acts when they are in the early stage of what?
(a) Romantic love.
5. How does the author conclude his work?
(a) Describing the author's own plans to achieve divinity.
(b) Describing ways to atone for sin.
(c) Describing the properties gained through passing through the dark night.
(d) Describing the way the devil will try to seduce believers after reading the book.
6. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A tree.
(b) A house.
(c) A feather.
(d) A church.
7. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) God punishes the soul.
(b) The spirit battles the soul.
(c) The soul swoons for God.
(d) Sin takes over the soul.
8. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Enemies of man.
(b) Friends of humans.
(c) Sinful devils.
9. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) Sensual affections.
(d) The danger zone.
10. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
(a) Nothing but God.
(b) Everyone else's heart.
(d) All the traps of sin.
11. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Abandon hope.
(b) Battle sin.
(c) Search for God.
(d) Ascend to heaven.
12. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
13. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) God's message.
(b) The eyes of a human.
(c) The darkness.
(d) Sin and evil.
14. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
15. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) After passing through the dark night.
(b) After death.
(c) When first believing in God.
(d) Directly after birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
2. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
3. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
4. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)