|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) When first believing in God.
(b) After passing through the dark night.
(c) After death.
(d) Directly after birth.
2. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) In darkness.
(b) Through hell.
(c) Around the world.
(d) In heaven.
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The demands of the earthly world.
(b) The guild of sin.
(c) The threat of evil.
(d) The fire of the Spirit.
4. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) To show off his writing skills.
(b) To help the reader predict the next chapter's subject matter.
(c) To show his authority over the reader.
(d) To aid the reader's understanding.
5. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) Sin and evil.
(b) The darkness.
(c) God's message.
(d) The eyes of a human.
6. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A collection of angels.
(b) A pit of despair.
(c) Evil demons.
(d) A cloud of darkness.
7. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Enemies of man.
(b) Sinful devils.
(c) Friends of humans.
8. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A dream.
(b) A joke.
(c) A lie.
(d) A nightmare.
9. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Search for God.
(b) Ascend to heaven.
(c) Battle sin.
(d) Abandon hope.
10. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By battling evil.
(b) By the Holy Spirit.
(c) By rejecting sin.
(d) By the power of the human mind.
11. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
12. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
(a) To cleanse oneself of sin.
(b) To protect oneself from the devil.
(c) To show the world one's faith.
(d) To prove one's worth to God.
13. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To hide oneself from God.
(b) To become a new person.
(c) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(d) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
14. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) God's punishment.
(b) The evil of sin.
(c) How much pain relates to the divine.
(d) What it lacks.
15. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
(a) An ascent to heaven.
(b) The presence of God.
(c) Salvation from sin.
(d) Peaceful rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
2. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
3. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
4. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
5. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)