|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Guilt and suffering.
(b) Love and wisdom.
(c) Grace and redemption.
(d) Freedom and pain.
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After enkindlement.
(b) After death.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) From birth.
3. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
4. The use of the term "dark night" throughout <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> by St. John is an example of what?
(a) An acronym.
(b) A homonym.
(c) A paraphrase.
(d) A metaphor.
5. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
(a) Draw back from God's love.
(b) Have ceaseless contact with God.
(c) Separate from human contact.
(d) Take a vow of silence.
6. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(b) Friends of humans.
(c) Enemies of man.
(d) Sinful devils.
7. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
8. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
9. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
10. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Work for and love God.
(b) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(c) Commit sins.
(d) Pray for forgiveness.
11. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) Only the longing for God.
(b) The avoidance of sin.
(c) The desires of the human heart.
(d) The path of honor and glory.
12. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) God's fury.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) Secret knowledge.
(d) The path to heaven.
13. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A church.
(b) A house.
(c) A feather.
(d) A tree.
14. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(b) The light of spiritual faith.
(c) The darkness of God's love.
(d) The pressure of human peers.
15. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(b) Forgiveness for the soul.
(c) God's dwelling place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
3. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
4. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
5. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)