|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) Only priests.
(c) All men.
(d) Some women.
2. The use of the term "dark night" throughout <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> by St. John is an example of what?
(a) A homonym.
(b) A paraphrase.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) An acronym.
3. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
(a) An ascent to heaven.
(b) The presence of God.
(c) Peaceful rest.
(d) Salvation from sin.
4. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
5. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Separating from the body.
(b) Exploring new territory.
(c) Becoming more godlike.
(d) Committing sin.
6. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The path to becoming like God.
(b) The stairs to heaven.
(c) The ladder of sin.
(d) The ladder of living faith.
7. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) Secret knowledge.
(b) The path to heaven.
(c) God's fury.
(d) The temptation of sin.
8. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
9. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
10. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
(a) To hide from the sensual nature of man.
(b) To discover a secret power.
(c) To protect against the anger of family.
(d) To hide from the spiritual nature of man.
11. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) His writing is for selfish reasons.
(b) His wife helped him in writing.
(c) God is speaking through him.
(d) His writing has a purpose.
12. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(b) Forgiveness for the soul.
(c) God's dwelling place.
13. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) Sin's grasp.
(c) God's forgiveness.
(d) Spiritual freedom.
14. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
(a) To show the world one's faith.
(b) To prove one's worth to God.
(c) To protect oneself from the devil.
(d) To cleanse oneself of sin.
15. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
2. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
4. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
5. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)