|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After God's punishment.
(b) After enkindlement.
(c) After death.
(d) From birth.
2. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
3. What holds the soul in bondage?
(b) Peer pressure.
(c) Human thought.
(d) The devil and the senses.
4. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The path to heaven.
(b) God's fury.
(c) The temptation of sin.
(d) Secret knowledge.
5. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
6. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By rejecting sin.
(b) By the power of the human mind.
(c) By the Holy Spirit.
(d) By battling evil.
7. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) Side to side.
(b) From earth to hell.
(c) Ascension and descension.
(d) From earth to heaven.
8. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The ladder of living faith.
(b) The path to becoming like God.
(c) The stairs to heaven.
(d) The ladder of sin.
9. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
(a) A pleasing soul for God.
(b) Obedience to God.
(c) Release from guilt.
(d) Protection from sin.
10. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(a) The universe.
(c) The earth.
(d) Angel's souls.
11. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) Things of the world.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) The seven deadly sins.
(d) God's love.
12. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
(a) An acronym.
(b) A paraphrase.
(c) A homonym.
(d) A metaphor.
13. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) Through hell.
(b) In darkness.
(c) In heaven.
(d) Around the world.
14. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Spiritual freedom.
(d) Sin's grasp.
15. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
(a) God begins to love the soul of the person.
(b) Senses do not hinder the spirit.
(c) Sin starts to have no consequences.
(d) The soul no longer feels any need for God.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
2. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
3. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
4. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
5. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)