|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The guild of sin.
(b) The fire of the Spirit.
(c) The threat of evil.
(d) The demands of the earthly world.
3. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Abandon hope.
(b) Battle sin.
(c) Search for God.
(d) Ascend to heaven.
4. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
(a) To hide from the devil.
(b) To protect itself from God's anger.
(c) To deceive peers.
(d) To sneak into heaven.
5. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(a) The human mind.
6. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) Another author's works.
(b) The poem from the prologue.
(c) A verse from the Bible.
(d) The author's credentials for writing.
7. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) The seven deadly sins.
(b) Things of the world.
(c) God's love.
(d) God's wrath.
8. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Grace and redemption.
(b) Love and wisdom.
(c) Guilt and suffering.
(d) Freedom and pain.
9. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(a) Angel's souls.
(c) The universe.
(d) The earth.
10. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) The danger zone.
(c) Sensual affections.
(d) God's wrath.
11. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(b) Rogue demon.
(c) A free agent.
(d) A reflection of God.
12. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) Peer pressure.
(b) Human thought.
(c) The devil and the senses.
13. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
(a) Infant and newborn.
(b) Believer and sinner.
(c) Immortal and divine.
(d) Beginner and proficient.
14. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(b) God's dwelling place.
(c) Forgiveness for the soul.
15. How does the author conclude his work?
(a) Describing the author's own plans to achieve divinity.
(b) Describing ways to atone for sin.
(c) Describing the way the devil will try to seduce believers after reading the book.
(d) Describing the properties gained through passing through the dark night.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
2. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
3. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
4. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
5. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)