|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) Sin's grasp.
(c) Spiritual freedom.
(d) God's forgiveness.
2. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A lie.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A dream.
(d) A joke.
3. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has become like God.
(b) It has found itself.
(c) It has become strong in sin.
(d) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
4. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To help women.
(b) To teach others.
(c) To make money.
(d) To spread the word of God.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) The evil of sin.
(b) What it lacks.
(c) How much pain relates to the divine.
(d) God's punishment.
6. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
(a) Peaceful rest.
(b) Salvation from sin.
(c) The presence of God.
(d) An ascent to heaven.
7. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
(a) To protect oneself from the devil.
(b) To cleanse oneself of sin.
(c) To prove one's worth to God.
(d) To show the world one's faith.
8. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(a) Only priests.
(b) No one.
(c) Not everyone.
9. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
(a) Infant and newborn.
(b) Believer and sinner.
(c) Immortal and divine.
(d) Beginner and proficient.
10. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(a) The universe.
(b) The earth.
(d) Angel's souls.
11. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A scarf tied around the head.
(b) The hat of salvation.
(c) A black cloak.
(d) A helmet.
12. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The temptation of sin.
(b) Secret knowledge.
(c) God's fury.
(d) The path to heaven.
13. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
14. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of happiness.
(b) Out of sadness.
(c) Out of remorse.
(d) Out of guilt.
15. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
2. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
4. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
5. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)