|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
2. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) Magical powers.
(b) All that God knows.
3. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) Around the world.
(b) In darkness.
(c) In heaven.
(d) Through hell.
4. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) Ascension and descension.
(b) Side to side.
(c) From earth to hell.
(d) From earth to heaven.
5. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) God is uncaring.
(b) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(c) God has no control over the devil.
(d) To go to war with evil.
6. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) Some women.
(c) Only priests.
(d) All men.
7. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
8. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
(a) Take a vow of silence.
(b) Have ceaseless contact with God.
(c) Draw back from God's love.
(d) Separate from human contact.
9. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
(a) Sin starts to have no consequences.
(b) Senses do not hinder the spirit.
(c) The soul no longer feels any need for God.
(d) God begins to love the soul of the person.
10. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
(a) An acronym.
(b) A paraphrase.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) A homonym.
11. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
12. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) Children and parents.
(b) A husband and wife.
(c) A priest and God.
(d) A starving person and food.
13. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(b) The pressure of human peers.
(c) The darkness of God's love.
(d) The light of spiritual faith.
14. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
15. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
2. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
3. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
4. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
5. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)