|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The guild of sin.
(b) The demands of the earthly world.
(c) The fire of the Spirit.
(d) The threat of evil.
2. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
(a) To hide from the devil.
(b) To sneak into heaven.
(c) To protect itself from God's anger.
(d) To deceive peers.
3. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They are necessary.
(b) They are useless.
(c) They become strengthened.
(d) They are mixed up.
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) God's punishment.
(b) The evil of sin.
(c) How much pain relates to the divine.
(d) What it lacks.
6. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
7. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The pressure of human peers.
(b) The darkness of God's love.
(c) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(d) The light of spiritual faith.
8. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) The human's wickedness.
(b) The release from sin.
(c) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(d) God's anger.
9. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(b) A hundred.
10. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) A free agent.
(b) Rogue demon.
(c) A reflection of God.
11. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) All that God knows.
(b) Magical powers.
12. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A husband and wife.
(b) Children and parents.
(c) A starving person and food.
(d) A priest and God.
13. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) From birth.
(b) After God's punishment.
(c) After enkindlement.
(d) After death.
14. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
15. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To teach others.
(b) To make money.
(c) To help women.
(d) To spread the word of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
3. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
5. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)