|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(b) To go to war with evil.
(c) God has no control over the devil.
(d) God is uncaring.
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(a) The universe.
(b) The earth.
(c) Angel's souls.
3. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) Things of the world.
(b) God's love.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) The seven deadly sins.
4. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) In darkness.
(b) In heaven.
(c) Around the world.
(d) Through hell.
5. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
6. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(b) God's dwelling place.
(c) Spiritual understanding.
(d) Forgiveness for the soul.
7. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Becoming more godlike.
(b) Exploring new territory.
(c) Committing sin.
(d) Separating from the body.
8. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) His wife helped him in writing.
(b) His writing has a purpose.
(c) God is speaking through him.
(d) His writing is for selfish reasons.
9. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) The flight of a bird.
(b) A dive off a cliff.
(c) The circle of life.
(d) A walk on the sea.
10. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
(a) To prove one's worth to God.
(b) To show the world one's faith.
(c) To protect oneself from the devil.
(d) To cleanse oneself of sin.
11. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
(a) To protect against the anger of family.
(b) To discover a secret power.
(c) To hide from the spiritual nature of man.
(d) To hide from the sensual nature of man.
12. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) Before becoming baptized.
(b) After fasting.
(c) By God's invitation.
(d) After death.
13. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) All that God knows.
(c) Magical powers.
14. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) Side to side.
(b) From earth to heaven.
(c) From earth to hell.
(d) Ascension and descension.
15. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They are necessary.
(b) They become strengthened.
(c) They are useless.
(d) They are mixed up.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
2. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
3. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
4. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
5. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)