Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(d) The human mind.
2. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
(a) Sin starts to have no consequences.
(b) Senses do not hinder the spirit.
(c) God begins to love the soul of the person.
(d) The soul no longer feels any need for God.
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After enkindlement.
(b) After God's punishment.
(c) After death.
(d) From birth.
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(b) No one.
(c) Not everyone.
(d) Only priests.
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
6. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
7. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
8. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
9. What is the purpose for writing <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> that St. John describes?
(a) To spread the word of God.
(b) To make money.
(c) To help women.
(d) To teach others.
10. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) A chapter from the Bible.
(b) The first stanza of the poem.
(c) The second stanza of the poem.
(d) The author's beliefs on marriage.
11. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
(a) Obedience to God.
(b) Release from guilt.
(c) Protection from sin.
(d) A pleasing soul for God.
12. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
13. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Becoming more godlike.
(b) Committing sin.
(c) Separating from the body.
(d) Exploring new territory.
14. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) God's love.
(b) Things of the world.
(c) The seven deadly sins.
(d) God's wrath.
15. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does St. John say is the purpose of the garment of faith?
2. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
3. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
4. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
5. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)