|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
2. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By battling evil.
(b) By the Holy Spirit.
(c) By the power of the human mind.
(d) By rejecting sin.
3. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
4. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
5. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(b) All that God knows.
(d) Magical powers.
6. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A black cloak.
(b) A scarf tied around the head.
(c) A helmet.
(d) The hat of salvation.
7. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Committing sin.
(b) Exploring new territory.
(c) Becoming more godlike.
(d) Separating from the body.
8. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
9. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) Ascension and descension.
(b) From earth to hell.
(c) Side to side.
(d) From earth to heaven.
10. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
11. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) Some women.
(c) Only priests.
(d) All men.
12. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
(a) To deceive peers.
(b) To sneak into heaven.
(c) To hide from the devil.
(d) To protect itself from God's anger.
13. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) God punishes the soul.
(b) The soul swoons for God.
(c) The spirit battles the soul.
(d) Sin takes over the soul.
14. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(a) Only priests.
(b) Not everyone.
(c) No one.
15. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
2. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
4. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
5. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)