|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
(b) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
2. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
3. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) By God's invitation.
(b) Before becoming baptized.
(c) After death.
(d) After fasting.
4. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) After passing through the dark night.
(b) Directly after birth.
(c) When first believing in God.
(d) After death.
5. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A scarf tied around the head.
(b) The hat of salvation.
(c) A black cloak.
(d) A helmet.
6. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
7. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) God's wrath.
(b) Things of the world.
(c) God's love.
(d) The seven deadly sins.
8. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(a) The human mind.
9. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
10. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) To help the reader predict the next chapter's subject matter.
(b) To show his authority over the reader.
(c) To show off his writing skills.
(d) To aid the reader's understanding.
11. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A lie.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A dream.
(d) A joke.
12. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
13. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) A chapter from the Bible.
(b) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(c) The second stanza of the poem.
(d) The first stanza of the poem.
14. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of sadness.
(b) Out of guilt.
(c) Out of remorse.
(d) Out of happiness.
15. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) Children and parents.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) A starving person and food.
(d) A husband and wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
2. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
3. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
4. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
5. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)