|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) A reflection of God.
(b) A free agent.
(d) Rogue demon.
3. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of happiness.
(b) Out of remorse.
(c) Out of sadness.
(d) Out of guilt.
4. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(b) The light of spiritual faith.
(c) The darkness of God's love.
(d) The pressure of human peers.
5. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(b) God's love.
(c) Real fire.
6. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
7. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
8. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The path to heaven.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) Secret knowledge.
(d) God's fury.
9. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
10. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
11. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) Only the longing for God.
(b) The desires of the human heart.
(c) The avoidance of sin.
(d) The path of honor and glory.
12. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
13. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) Directly after birth.
(b) When first believing in God.
(c) After passing through the dark night.
(d) After death.
14. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
15. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(b) To go to war with evil.
(c) God is uncaring.
(d) God has no control over the devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
4. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
5. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)