|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Magical powers.
(c) Things which they ask for.
(d) Immense wealth.
2. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
3. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(b) A chapter from the Bible.
(c) The first stanza of the poem.
(d) The second stanza of the poem.
4. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Work for and love God.
(b) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Commit sins.
5. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
6. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
7. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) Through hell.
(b) In darkness.
(c) Around the world.
(d) In heaven.
8. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(b) God's anger.
(c) The release from sin.
(d) The human's wickedness.
9. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A cloud of darkness.
(b) A collection of angels.
(c) A pit of despair.
(d) Evil demons.
10. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) The eyes of a human.
(b) God's message.
(c) The darkness.
(d) Sin and evil.
11. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To become a new person.
(b) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(c) To hide oneself from God.
(d) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
12. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
(a) They were knocked unconscious.
(b) There were unable to speak.
(c) They spoke in another language.
(d) They became wealthy.
13. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) All men.
(c) Some women.
(d) Only priests.
14. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
15. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
3. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
4. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)