|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Pray for forgiveness.
(b) Work for and love God.
(c) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(d) Commit sins.
2. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By the power of the human mind.
(b) By rejecting sin.
(c) By battling evil.
(d) By the Holy Spirit.
3. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(d) The human mind.
4. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A helmet.
(b) A scarf tied around the head.
(c) The hat of salvation.
(d) A black cloak.
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(a) A hundred.
6. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
7. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) A walk on the sea.
(b) The flight of a bird.
(c) A dive off a cliff.
(d) The circle of life.
8. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) Children and parents.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) A starving person and food.
9. How does the author conclude his work?
(a) Describing the author's own plans to achieve divinity.
(b) Describing the way the devil will try to seduce believers after reading the book.
(c) Describing the properties gained through passing through the dark night.
(d) Describing ways to atone for sin.
10. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The light of spiritual faith.
(b) The darkness of God's love.
(c) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(d) The pressure of human peers.
11. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) The devil and the senses.
(c) Human thought.
(d) Peer pressure.
12. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
(a) The seven deadly sins.
(b) Things of the world.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) God's love.
13. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
14. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
15. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A feather.
(b) A church.
(c) A tree.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
2. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
3. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
4. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
5. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)