|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(c) The human mind.
2. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To make money.
(b) To spread the word of God.
(c) To help women.
(d) To teach others.
3. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) A dream.
(c) A lie.
(d) A joke.
4. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
(a) Honor and glory.
(b) Strength and divine powers.
(c) Joy and wealth.
(d) Peace and rest.
5. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) Peer pressure.
(b) The devil and the senses.
(d) Human thought.
6. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(a) Not everyone.
(b) No one.
(c) Only priests.
7. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) Sin's grasp.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Spiritual freedom.
8. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
9. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(b) All that God knows.
(c) Magical powers.
10. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) The desires of the human heart.
(b) The avoidance of sin.
(c) The path of honor and glory.
(d) Only the longing for God.
11. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Sinful devils.
(b) Enemies of man.
(d) Friends of humans.
12. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The ladder of sin.
(b) The ladder of living faith.
(c) The stairs to heaven.
(d) The path to becoming like God.
13. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By the Holy Spirit.
(b) By the power of the human mind.
(c) By rejecting sin.
(d) By battling evil.
14. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
15. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
4. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
5. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)