|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
(a) After death.
(b) Before becoming baptized.
(c) After fasting.
(d) By God's invitation.
2. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Grace and redemption.
(b) Freedom and pain.
(c) Love and wisdom.
(d) Guilt and suffering.
3. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) Spiritual freedom.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Sin's grasp.
4. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Sin takes over the soul.
(b) The spirit battles the soul.
(c) The soul swoons for God.
(d) God punishes the soul.
5. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Ascend to heaven.
(b) Abandon hope.
(c) Search for God.
(d) Battle sin.
6. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
7. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) Magical powers.
(d) All that God knows.
8. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(a) Angel's souls.
(c) The earth.
(d) The universe.
9. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
10. What stanza from "Stanzas of the Soul" is featured in Book II, Chapter XXV?
11. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The threat of evil.
(b) The demands of the earthly world.
(c) The fire of the Spirit.
(d) The guild of sin.
12. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The second stanza of the poem.
(b) The first stanza of the poem.
(c) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(d) A chapter from the Bible.
13. In Book II, Chapter XXI, what color represents the garment of faith?
14. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Mary, mother of Jesus.
15. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(b) Rogue demon.
(c) A reflection of God.
(d) A free agent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
2. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
3. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
4. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
5. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)