|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(b) Forgiveness for the soul.
(d) God's dwelling place.
3. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
4. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Becoming more godlike.
(b) Committing sin.
(c) Separating from the body.
(d) Exploring new territory.
5. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The closer to God a being will become.
(b) The more likely to sin.
(c) The better of a chance to backslide.
(d) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
6. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
7. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
(a) To hide from the spiritual nature of man.
(b) To protect against the anger of family.
(c) To discover a secret power.
(d) To hide from the sensual nature of man.
8. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
(a) To hide from the devil.
(b) To deceive peers.
(c) To protect itself from God's anger.
(d) To sneak into heaven.
9. Who is cited as experiencing a life having been accessed by the devil?
10. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A feather.
(b) A tree.
(c) A house.
(d) A church.
11. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
12. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) God's message.
(b) The darkness.
(c) Sin and evil.
(d) The eyes of a human.
13. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
(b) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
14. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has become strong in sin.
(b) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
(c) It has found itself.
(d) It has become like God.
15. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(b) God's anger.
(c) The human's wickedness.
(d) The release from sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
2. What is St. John's purpose in using repetition throughout Dark Night of the Soul?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
4. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
5. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)