|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
(a) Take a vow of silence.
(b) Draw back from God's love.
(c) Have ceaseless contact with God.
(d) Separate from human contact.
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, the author writes about the depth and power of what?
(a) God's vengeance.
(b) The Spirit of God.
(c) Earthly evil.
3. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) God punishes the soul.
(b) The spirit battles the soul.
(c) Sin takes over the soul.
(d) The soul swoons for God.
4. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The stairs to heaven.
(b) The path to becoming like God.
(c) The ladder of living faith.
(d) The ladder of sin.
5. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The love of friends gives comfort.
(b) The fire of God burns the soul.
(c) The comfort of God gives peace.
(d) The forces of evil burn the soul.
6. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of remorse.
(b) Out of happiness.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) Out of sadness.
7. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
8. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) The release from sin.
(b) The human's wickedness.
(c) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
(d) God's anger.
9. What is the third property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night that leads the soul down the road of life?
(a) The avoidance of sin.
(b) Only the longing for God.
(c) The path of honor and glory.
(d) The desires of the human heart.
10. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) A verse from the Bible.
(b) The poem from the prologue.
(c) Another author's works.
(d) The author's credentials for writing.
11. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) All that God knows.
(d) Magical powers.
12. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Commit sins.
(b) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(c) Work for and love God.
(d) Pray for forgiveness.
13. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After enkindlement.
(b) From birth.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) After death.
14. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
15. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
(a) Release from guilt.
(b) Protection from sin.
(c) A pleasing soul for God.
(d) Obedience to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
2. How does the author conclude his work?
3. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
4. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
5. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)