|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
(a) Immortal and divine.
(b) Believer and sinner.
(c) Beginner and proficient.
(d) Infant and newborn.
2. What does the second property of passing through the dark night allow the soul to see in the darkness, according to Book II, Chapter XXV?
(a) Nothing but God.
(c) Everyone else's heart.
(d) All the traps of sin.
3. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
4. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A helmet.
(b) A black cloak.
(c) A scarf tied around the head.
(d) The hat of salvation.
5. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(b) All that God knows.
(d) Magical powers.
6. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The stairs to heaven.
(b) The ladder of living faith.
(c) The path to becoming like God.
(d) The ladder of sin.
7. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(a) Rogue demon.
(b) A reflection of God.
(c) A free agent.
8. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A pit of despair.
(b) Evil demons.
(c) A cloud of darkness.
(d) A collection of angels.
9. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
(a) Obedience to God.
(b) Protection from sin.
(c) A pleasing soul for God.
(d) Release from guilt.
10. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Commit sins.
(b) Pray for forgiveness.
(c) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(d) Work for and love God.
11. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) The author's credentials for writing.
(b) The poem from the prologue.
(c) A verse from the Bible.
(d) Another author's works.
12. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
(a) Only priests.
(c) Some women.
(d) All men.
13. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(b) To go to war with evil.
(c) God has no control over the devil.
(d) God is uncaring.
14. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
15. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The love of friends gives comfort.
(b) The forces of evil burn the soul.
(c) The comfort of God gives peace.
(d) The fire of God burns the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
2. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
4. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
5. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)