|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The path to heaven.
(b) God's fury.
(c) The temptation of sin.
(d) Secret knowledge.
2. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
(a) Honor and glory.
(b) Joy and wealth.
(c) Strength and divine powers.
(d) Peace and rest.
3. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
4. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Becoming more godlike.
(b) Separating from the body.
(c) Exploring new territory.
(d) Committing sin.
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(a) A hundred.
6. Why, according to St. John, does God give the devil access to the life of a believing Christian?
(a) To give an equal chance at allegiance.
(b) God has no control over the devil.
(c) To go to war with evil.
(d) God is uncaring.
7. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) The flight of a bird.
(b) A walk on the sea.
(c) The circle of life.
(d) A dive off a cliff.
8. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has found itself.
(b) It has become strong in sin.
(c) It has become like God.
(d) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
9. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By rejecting sin.
(b) By the Holy Spirit.
(c) By the power of the human mind.
(d) By battling evil.
10. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Magical powers.
(b) Immense wealth.
(c) Things which they ask for.
(d) Eternal life.
11. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) From birth.
(b) After God's punishment.
(c) After death.
(d) After enkindlement.
12. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The fire of the Spirit.
(b) The guild of sin.
(c) The demands of the earthly world.
(d) The threat of evil.
13. What is the first property gained by the soul after passing through the dark night?
(a) Sin starts to have no consequences.
(b) The soul no longer feels any need for God.
(c) Senses do not hinder the spirit.
(d) God begins to love the soul of the person.
14. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
15. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
2. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
4. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
5. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)