|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
(a) Peace and rest.
(b) Honor and glory.
(c) Joy and wealth.
(d) Strength and divine powers.
2. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) The poem from the prologue.
(b) Another author's works.
(c) A verse from the Bible.
(d) The author's credentials for writing.
3. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
(b) Angel's souls.
(c) The universe.
(d) The earth.
4. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
(a) A house.
(b) A feather.
(c) A tree.
(d) A church.
5. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has found itself.
(b) It has become like God.
(c) It has become strong in sin.
(d) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
6. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) The circle of life.
(b) A walk on the sea.
(c) The flight of a bird.
(d) A dive off a cliff.
7. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
(b) A reflection of God.
(c) A free agent.
(d) Rogue demon.
8. What does the author explain about his work in Book II, Chapter XXII?
(a) His writing is for selfish reasons.
(b) God is speaking through him.
(c) His wife helped him in writing.
(d) His writing has a purpose.
9. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
10. The use of the term "dark night" throughout Dark Night of the Soul by St. John is an example of what?
(a) An acronym.
(b) A homonym.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) A paraphrase.
11. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
12. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They are mixed up.
(b) They are useless.
(c) They are necessary.
(d) They become strengthened.
13. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
14. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
15. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
2. What holds the soul in bondage?
3. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
4. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
5. What does the garment of charity provide for the wearer, as described by the author?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)