|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
2. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(b) "Song of the Soul."
(c) "Mount Carmel."
(d) "Song of Songs."
3. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(d) Spiritual milk.
4. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
5. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
6. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
7. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
8. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) In a torture chamber.
(b) In the grave.
(d) On the sun.
9. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
(b) The lure of sin.
(c) Lack of faith.
(d) Keeping secrets from God.
10. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
(a) God's message to himself.
(b) The poem from the prologue.
(c) The work of another author.
(d) A Bible verse.
11. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(b) Spines of a fish.
(d) Animal teeth.
12. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
13. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All unclean thoughts.
(b) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(c) Both parts of the soul together.
(d) All mortal sins.
14. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Ignatius.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. John.
(d) St. Michael.
15. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(b) Weak and miserable.
(c) Worthless to the devil.
(d) Sinful and guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the soul change during the dark night?
2. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
3. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
5. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)