|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
(b) Irritate them.
(c) Influence decisions.
(d) Enter their lives.
2. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at those being praised.
(b) They devalue the praise.
(c) They get angry at God.
(d) They praise the others as well.
3. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A weed.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A new baby.
(d) A dying flower.
4. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) The sleep cycle.
(c) The power of sin.
5. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The end.
(b) The darkest point.
(c) Periods of rest.
(d) The beginning.
6. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) God's mercy.
(b) Contempt for sin.
(d) Love in the soul.
7. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) The emergence of sin.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) God's instructions.
(d) Inner peace.
8. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A proficient Christian.
(b) A baptized person.
(c) A sinless and perfect soul.
(d) A priest.
9. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
10. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Plant roots.
(d) Breast milk.
11. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(c) The weight of sin.
(d) God's desire.
12. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) God suddenly abandons them.
(b) They no longer believe in their faith.
(c) God draws closer to them.
(d) Their sins worsen.
13. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) The purpose of the book.
(b) Other authors' works.
(c) A history of the Bible.
(d) The biography of the author.
14. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
15. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
2. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
3. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)