|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) The love of God.
(b) The weight of sin.
(c) Revulsion to faith.
(d) Repentance of sin.
2. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) More perfect.
(b) More desirable by God.
(c) More sinful.
(d) Less perfect.
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) The soul.
(d) Mortal sin.
4. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) The emergence of sin.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Inner peace.
(d) God's instructions.
5. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(c) Spiritual milk.
6. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
(a) A rebirth.
(b) The sun and the stars.
(c) Wood in fire.
(d) Metal in fire.
7. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The balance of the world.
(b) God's demands of revenge.
(c) The payment of sin.
(d) The underlying impurity of the soul.
8. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(b) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(c) The age of the person.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
9. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(b) A journey through heaven.
(c) A dark night.
(d) A baptism.
10. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
(a) Irritate them.
(b) Influence decisions.
(c) Enter their lives.
11. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) The person is lazy.
(b) There is no monetary gain.
(c) The pleasure fades.
(d) There is no further instruction from God.
12. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(b) Hard work.
(c) A pure heart.
(d) God's will.
13. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
14. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) In a torture chamber.
(b) In the grave.
(c) On the sun.
15. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To be reminded of sin.
(b) To become more like God.
(c) To appreciate divine love.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
2. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
3. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
5. What is the topic of the prologue?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)