|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Sensual purgation.
(b) Divine wisdom.
(c) Spiritual purgation.
2. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The lower half.
(b) The heart.
(c) The mind.
(d) The eyes.
3. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A baptized person.
(b) A proficient Christian.
(c) A priest.
(d) A sinless and perfect soul.
4. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
(a) The soul is freed.
(b) The soul heals itself.
(c) The soul is attacked harder than before.
(d) The soul rejects God's love.
5. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(c) Animal teeth.
(d) Spines of a fish.
6. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
7. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) More sinful.
(b) More desirable by God.
(c) Less perfect.
(d) More perfect.
8. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) In a torture chamber.
(c) In the grave.
(d) On the sun.
9. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They succeed.
(b) They become frustrated with the progress.
(c) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(d) They begin to influence other into sin.
10. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Peace and nature.
(b) Quiet and to be alone.
(c) The love of God and others.
(d) The company of a spiritual leader.
11. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
(a) A Bible verse.
(b) God's message to himself.
(c) The work of another author.
(d) The poem from the prologue.
12. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
(a) Lack of education.
13. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To be reminded of sin.
(b) To reflect the state of a baby.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To appreciate divine love.
14. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
15. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) Other authors' works.
(b) The biography of the author.
(c) The purpose of the book.
(d) A history of the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
2. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
3. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
4. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)