|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) The divine and the natural.
(b) God and the devil.
(c) Desire and goodwill.
(d) Guilt and pride.
2. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The burning rays of the sun.
(b) The changing seasons.
(c) The chopping down of a tree.
(d) The burning of a log in a fire.
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(a) A pure heart.
(b) Hard work.
(c) God's will.
4. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
(a) Enter their lives.
(b) Influence decisions.
(d) Irritate them.
5. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
(a) The inability to pray.
(b) The desire to reject God.
(c) The need to sin.
(d) The pain of guilt.
6. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(c) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
7. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(b) Spark of humanity.
(c) Hope of God.
(d) Desire for sin.
8. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
9. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(c) His soul.
10. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
11. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
(a) More sinful.
12. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) God draws closer to them.
(b) Their sins worsen.
(c) God suddenly abandons them.
(d) They no longer believe in their faith.
13. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) Whenever in prayer with God.
(b) During a weekly fast.
(c) The second night of purging.
(d) The first night of purging.
14. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
15. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
(a) The work of another author.
(b) God's message to himself.
(c) A Bible verse.
(d) The poem from the prologue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
2. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
4. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
5. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)