|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Obey all of God's commands.
(b) Speak out in tongues.
(c) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(d) Commit suicide.
2. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
(a) The pain of guilt.
(b) The inability to pray.
(c) The need to sin.
(d) The desire to reject God.
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) Mortal sin.
(d) The soul.
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) God's instructions.
(b) Inner peace.
(c) God's forgiveness.
(d) The emergence of sin.
5. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(b) Divine wisdom.
(c) Sensual purgation.
6. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
7. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A feeling of inner peace.
(b) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(c) A desire for secrets.
(d) Fits of insanity.
8. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
9. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(a) Weak and miserable.
(c) Worthless to the devil.
(d) Sinful and guilty.
10. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) In the grave.
(b) In a torture chamber.
(c) On the sun.
11. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Abandon them.
(b) Purge all sin.
(c) Bring them closer.
(d) Sacrifice them.
12. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
(a) Enter their lives.
(b) Influence decisions.
(d) Irritate them.
13. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
(a) Lack of education.
14. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(b) Other's love.
(c) God's love.
15. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at God.
(b) They devalue the praise.
(c) They get angry at those being praised.
(d) They praise the others as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
2. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
3. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
4. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
5. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)