|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(b) His family.
(c) His children.
(d) His friends.
2. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To appreciate divine love.
(b) To become more like God.
(c) To reflect the state of a baby.
(d) To be reminded of sin.
3. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
(d) More sinful.
4. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(b) Divine wisdom.
(c) Sensual purgation.
5. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(d) Spiritual milk.
6. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
7. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(b) Hard work.
(c) A pure heart.
(d) God's will.
8. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) The person is lazy.
(b) The pleasure fades.
(c) There is no monetary gain.
(d) There is no further instruction from God.
9. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(b) His soul.
10. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
(a) Being very sick.
(b) Being eaten by a huge beast.
(c) Being burned alive.
(d) Being free and flying.
11. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
(a) Enter their lives.
(b) Irritate them.
(c) Influence decisions.
12. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) In a torture chamber.
(b) On the sun.
(c) In the grave.
13. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Faith and money.
(b) Lack of faith.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) God's wrath.
14. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(a) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
(b) God's favor.
(c) Holy water.
15. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Michael.
(c) St. John.
(d) St. Ignatius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
2. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
3. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
4. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
5. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)