|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Sensual purgation.
(b) Spiritual purgation.
(d) Divine wisdom.
2. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) The power of sin.
(c) The sleep cycle.
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(b) Hope of God.
(c) Spark of humanity.
(d) Desire for sin.
4. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Ignatius.
(b) St. Michael.
(c) St. John.
(d) St. Patrick.
5. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The darkest point.
(b) The end.
(c) Periods of rest.
(d) The beginning.
6. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) God's mercy.
(b) Love in the soul.
(c) Contempt for sin.
7. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) The balance of nature.
(b) The guilt of sin.
(c) God loves them.
(d) The duty of man.
8. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) A new person.
(b) A sinner.
(c) An innocent child.
(d) The likeness of God.
9. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
10. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His family.
(c) His children.
(d) His friends.
11. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(b) A feeling of inner peace.
(c) Fits of insanity.
(d) A desire for secrets.
12. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
(c) Lack of education.
13. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(b) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(c) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(d) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
14. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
(a) The soul is attacked harder than before.
(b) The soul is freed.
(c) The soul heals itself.
(d) The soul rejects God's love.
15. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
3. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
4. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
5. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)