|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
(a) The soul is freed.
(b) The soul heals itself.
(c) The soul is attacked harder than before.
(d) The soul rejects God's love.
2. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(b) Sensual purgation.
(c) Divine wisdom.
3. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A weed.
(c) A dying flower.
(d) A new baby.
4. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
(a) A need for acceptance.
(b) Sensual pleasure.
(c) A thirst for God.
(d) The desire to be good.
5. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(b) The age of the person.
(c) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
6. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
7. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) The soul.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) God's love.
(d) The sensual.
8. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
9. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(b) Spiritual milk.
10. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
11. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) The seven deadly sins.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) Habitual imperfections.
(d) Spiritual imperfections.
12. What is another name for avarice?
13. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Being angry at others.
(b) Having sexual affairs.
(c) Collecting money.
(d) Spiritual exercises.
14. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Peace and nature.
(b) Quiet and to be alone.
(c) The company of a spiritual leader.
(d) The love of God and others.
15. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
2. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
4. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
5. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)