|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
(a) Mark and Luke.
(b) Jacob and Daniel.
(c) Job and Jeremias.
(d) Isaiah and Peter.
2. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) The sleep cycle.
(b) The power of sin.
3. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) An entrance into heaven.
(b) The second night of darkness.
(c) God's forgiveness.
4. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
5. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) The divine and the natural.
(b) God and the devil.
(c) Guilt and pride.
(d) Desire and goodwill.
6. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) There is no monetary gain.
(b) The person is lazy.
(c) The pleasure fades.
(d) There is no further instruction from God.
7. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) The likeness of God.
(b) An innocent child.
(c) A new person.
(d) A sinner.
8. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Collecting money.
(b) Being angry at others.
(c) Spiritual exercises.
(d) Having sexual affairs.
9. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) Mortal sin.
(c) The soul.
(d) The sensual.
10. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The chopping down of a tree.
(c) The burning rays of the sun.
(d) The burning of a log in a fire.
11. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(b) Loved ones.
(c) God and themselves.
12. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) The guilt of sin.
(b) The duty of man.
(c) The balance of nature.
(d) God loves them.
13. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(b) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
14. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
(a) On the sun.
(b) In the grave.
(c) In a torture chamber.
15. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Spark of humanity.
(c) Hope of God.
(d) Desire for sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
2. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
3. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
4. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
5. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)