|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(b) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(c) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(d) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
2. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) God loves them.
(b) The balance of nature.
(c) The guilt of sin.
(d) The duty of man.
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Plant roots.
(b) Breast milk.
(d) A cistern of water.
4. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
(a) A rebirth.
(b) Metal in fire.
(c) The sun and the stars.
(d) Wood in fire.
5. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(b) All unclean thoughts.
(c) All mortal sins.
(d) Both parts of the soul together.
6. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
7. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at God.
(b) They get angry at those being praised.
(c) They praise the others as well.
(d) They devalue the praise.
8. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A sinless and perfect soul.
(b) A priest.
(c) A proficient Christian.
(d) A baptized person.
9. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Lust for others.
(b) Spiritual things.
(d) Earthly things.
10. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(b) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
11. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(b) His soul.
12. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) The seven deadly sins.
(b) Spiritual imperfections.
(c) Mortal sin.
(d) Habitual imperfections.
13. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(a) Holy water.
(b) God's favor.
(d) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
14. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
15. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
(a) The Pentecostal Church.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The Lutheran Church.
(d) The Baptist Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
2. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
4. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
5. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)