|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) Readiness for a union with God.
(b) Man's destiny to suffer.
(c) Readiness for a life sacrifice.
(d) The payment for sins.
2. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
3. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The lower half.
(b) The eyes.
(c) The mind.
(d) The heart.
4. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "Mount Carmel."
(b) "Song of the Soul."
(c) "Song of Songs."
(d) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
5. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To become more like God.
(b) To appreciate divine love.
(c) To be reminded of sin.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
6. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Abandon them.
(b) Bring them closer.
(c) Purge all sin.
(d) Sacrifice them.
7. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
8. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
(a) The soul is freed.
(b) The soul heals itself.
(c) The soul rejects God's love.
(d) The soul is attacked harder than before.
9. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) God loves them.
(b) The duty of man.
(c) The balance of nature.
(d) The guilt of sin.
10. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) Mortal sin.
(d) The soul.
11. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
12. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(b) Spiritual milk.
13. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
14. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
(a) Sensual pleasure.
(b) A need for acceptance.
(c) A thirst for God.
(d) The desire to be good.
15. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It remembers its evils.
(b) It does not know goodness.
(c) It wants to remain sinful.
(d) God has given no direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
4. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
5. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)