|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
2. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
3. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) God's instructions.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) Inner peace.
(d) The emergence of sin.
5. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) A new person.
(b) A sinner.
(c) The likeness of God.
(d) An innocent child.
6. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Michael.
(c) St. Ignatius.
(d) St. John.
7. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
8. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A weed.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A dying flower.
(d) A new baby.
9. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) True relationships.
(b) The love of God.
(c) Love for others.
(d) Understanding for the other person.
10. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The balance of the world.
(b) The payment of sin.
(c) God's demands of revenge.
(d) The underlying impurity of the soul.
11. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His family.
(c) His children.
(d) His friends.
12. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Having sexual affairs.
(b) Spiritual exercises.
(c) Being angry at others.
(d) Collecting money.
13. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(a) God's favor.
(b) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
(c) Holy water.
14. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
(a) Job and Jeremias.
(b) Isaiah and Peter.
(c) Jacob and Daniel.
(d) Mark and Luke.
15. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) A cistern of water.
(c) Plant roots.
(d) Breast milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
2. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
3. What is the topic of the prologue?
4. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
5. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)