|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Obey all of God's commands.
(b) Speak out in tongues.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
2. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(a) God and themselves.
(b) Loved ones.
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(b) The age of the person.
(c) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
4. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It remembers its evils.
(b) It wants to remain sinful.
(c) It does not know goodness.
(d) God has given no direction.
5. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Michael.
(c) St. John.
(d) St. Ignatius.
6. What is another name for avarice?
7. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Sacrifice them.
(b) Abandon them.
(c) Purge all sin.
(d) Bring them closer.
8. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
9. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His children.
(b) His friends.
(c) His family.
10. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(c) The sleep cycle.
(d) The power of sin.
11. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
(a) Being free and flying.
(b) Being burned alive.
(c) Being eaten by a huge beast.
(d) Being very sick.
12. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(b) Spiritual envy.
(c) Impure heart.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
13. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Having sexual affairs.
(b) Being angry at others.
(c) Collecting money.
(d) Spiritual exercises.
14. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) Both parts of the soul together.
(b) All mortal sins.
(c) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(d) All unclean thoughts.
15. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(a) A pure heart.
(c) Hard work.
(d) God's will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
2. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
3. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
4. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
5. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)