|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(b) Both parts of the soul together.
(c) All unclean thoughts.
(d) All mortal sins.
2. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
5. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) More desirable by God.
(b) More sinful.
(c) More perfect.
(d) Less perfect.
6. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
7. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A weed.
(b) A new baby.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A dying flower.
8. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
(a) Jacob and Daniel.
(b) Job and Jeremias.
(c) Mark and Luke.
(d) Isaiah and Peter.
9. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Breast milk.
(c) Plant roots.
10. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Love for others.
(b) True relationships.
(c) Understanding for the other person.
(d) The love of God.
11. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The lower half.
(c) The mind.
(d) The heart.
12. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(b) An entrance into heaven.
(c) God's forgiveness.
(d) The second night of darkness.
13. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Spiritual luxury.
(b) Spiritual envy.
(d) Impure heart.
14. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) The love of God.
(b) Revulsion to faith.
(c) The weight of sin.
(d) Repentance of sin.
15. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Michael.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. Ignatius.
(d) St. John.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
2. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
3. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
5. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)