|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many periods of trials must a soul pass through to finish going through the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter XXIV?
2. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) Readiness for a union with God.
(b) Man's destiny to suffer.
(c) The payment for sins.
(d) Readiness for a life sacrifice.
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. What does that author say the soul finds after passing through the dark night?
(a) Strength and divine powers.
(b) Peace and rest.
(c) Honor and glory.
(d) Joy and wealth.
5. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
(a) Actual imperfections.
(b) Earthly pleasures.
(c) God's punishments.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
3. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
4. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
5. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)