|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) God punishes the soul.
(b) Sin takes over the soul.
(c) The soul swoons for God.
(d) The spirit battles the soul.
2. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
(a) Metal in fire.
(b) The sun and the stars.
(c) Wood in fire.
(d) A rebirth.
3. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i> during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(b) Sinful and guilty.
(c) Worthless to the devil.
(d) Weak and miserable.
4. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
5. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Peaceful sleep.
(b) Remembrance of God.
(c) Identifying sin.
(d) Strong temptation of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
3. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
4. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
5. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)