Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Plant roots.
(c) A cistern of water.
(d) Breast milk.
2. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They become frustrated with the progress.
(b) They succeed.
(c) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(d) They begin to influence other into sin.
3. What is another name for avarice?
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) The soul.
(d) The sensual.
5. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It "grows up."
(b) It becomes ready for heaven.
(c) It becomes "soft."
(d) It experiences a holy event.
Short Answer Questions
1. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
2. Who is the author of <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)