|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Scarpetta meet at the hospital to examine Eddie Heath?
2. What do Scarpetta and Lucy decorate?
3. What does Scarpetta conclude after examining the electric chair at the prison?
4. Where has Susan Stone been murdered?
5. What does Lucy need to get into Scarpetta's database?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scarpetta's feeling on the death penalty?
2. What is so strange about the prison warden's behavior at the holiday party Scarpetta attends?
3. What evidence points to murder instead of suicide at the scene where Jennifer's body is found?
4. Describe Scarpetta's personal life.
5. What does Lucy suggest about what has happened to Scarpetta's computer?
6. What has happened to Eddie Heath?
7. What medical case/situation does a detective ask for Scarpetta's advice on while she is dealing with Waddell's body?
8. What did Jennifer take an interest in shortly before her death?
9. What do Lucy and Scarpetta do on Christmas morning?
10. Why does Jennifer's neighbor not like her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 negative aspects of having a protagonist as strong as Dr. Scarpetta. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The only married character in "Cruel and Unusual" is Benton Wesley, and his wife is rarely seen in the story. Discuss why Cornwell chooses to have no strong example of a loving, healthy marriage for any of the characters in "Cruel and Unusual."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Detective Marino OR Special Agent Wesley. What are 3 literary devices Cornwell could use to write from these 2 different characters' perspectives?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)